What DBZ fighting game do you consider most competitive?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What DBZ fighting game do you consider most competitive?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Since the Super Famicon days with the Super Butoden series, fighting games for DBZ have been released at a constant rate but surprisingly for a show that story mostly revolves around fighting and is widely considered one of the best action cartoons, they generally aren't regarded very highly... at least not on the level of such fighters like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, or King of Fighters.

But now what I'm asking is what DBZ fighter do you considered most deserving of being taken seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0crdi5XKLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJbbBYxiWFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOur3o5LSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Masd9_PdSLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlnNuQqUaT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlrNZaiMrGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXdbBgdIdg

Now... which wins out?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MFR55

Re: What DBZ fighting game do you consider most competitive?

Post by MFR55 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is the one i played the most VS battles on so i would say that one

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 am

It's Super DBZ.

The Budokai series while having a combo system that rewards execution it does't have much beyond that. 1 and 2 are possibly 2 of the worst fighters ever if you take away the fanservice aspect as the matches devolve into an happy slaps fest casual wise and a first to juggle wins at high level due to no combo breakers. 3 and Burst Limit have more to it, but they still fall into the trap of simply not having an interesting neutral game as most of the time you'll be spamming nullifiers and combo starters to get an advantage as Specials and Supers usually only serve as combo filler/enders.

Shin Budokai 2 almost get my vote, the RS system is way better than the PK one from the home console games and the real time specials, charged ki blasts, aura dashes and related attacks are things that actually matter on neutral that gives it more of a UMPH so to speak. But it still falls short and nullifiers are still heavily rewarded. Lack of an vertical game makes it that you only need to care about what's ahead of you (as the movement system works like a 2d fighter with lanes) which is disappointing. The potential is there, but some systems would need to be remade to be an actual good fighter.

The Tenkaichi series are wierd, 3 specifically cause that's what I played the most. The emphasys is on movement is there which is a good thing as it opens up a lot of possibilities but as a whole it never feels rewarding? I mention 3 because that started the whole "I can vanish anything you dish out" meaning most of the time, Supers are straight up useless and you don't feel like you outplayed your opponent when you score a dozen of hits but more that he forgot to teleport those 6 oppurtunities he had because while there are enoigh mixups, things are also quickly telegraphed (doesnt occur much in T2 because theres limits to what you can teleport) . I dont know where I'd put it honestly, i enjoy the movement system and what it brings to the table and thats scores a lot of points since that's one of the most important features in a 3D Arena Fighter but I also feel that theres something else missing.

Super DBZ tho? Neutral game is interesting, theres plenty of projectyle types to keep eye on that can hit you from multiple ways (as you an actually strafe around unlike the budokai series and the specials accomodate to that), there's mutiple ways to approach due to the 2 types of dashes + jumps, there's parries to nullify projectyles provided you that the stamina/reflexes for it. There's a constant flow to it and it doesnt feel like a tug of war. Combo system also rewards execution and unlike DBZAOTA tells you, there's ton of flash to it due to the pursuits, jump cancelling and special move cancelling involved. It just screams competitve game to me.

For those that think I'm being biased because Super is more of a traditional fighter: My favourite FG ever is Virtual On OT because I love the way attacks are tied i to movement in that game. Flow.

Not mentioning Xenoverse because 1 is trash and 2 hasnt fully developed yet.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:40 am

Quebaz wrote:Not mentioning Xenoverse because 1 is trash.
Straight ruthlessness.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:49 pm

Quebaz wrote:unlike DBZAOTA tells you, there's ton of flash to it due to the pursuits, jump cancelling and special move cancelling involved. It just screams competitve game to me.
I don't see how this disproves what I said.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:54 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Quebaz wrote:unlike DBZAOTA tells you, there's ton of flash to it due to the pursuits, jump cancelling and special move cancelling involved. It just screams competitve game to me.
I don't see how this disproves what I said.
You usually knock it because you say it lacks the flash from what you expect of a DBZ game, which I don't agree with.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 am

Thoughts so far.

:shock: Budokai 3 is a surprisingly intense fighting game, i'm watching the match, and anything goes. Oh My god Cell one, seriously didn't except that to happen at all.

So far Infinite world is looking to good, account of super Saiyan five god goku crushing base form Vegeta, and it just seems like an inferior Budokai 3, eh i'll skip this one.

Super dragon ball z just looks clunky and, even though most of the fights are close, it just doesn't look that good.

:o :shock: Budokai Tenkaicihi 3, this match I can't even the level of skill is amazing. This second fight, looks ugly as sin though, I think thats the end of Budokai Tenkaichi 3, for me

Eh, Not to sold on Raging blast 3, did he just stamina break him? Hey look they used that before Xenoverse, yeah I can't follow this all too well, skip.

Xenoverse 1 is automatically the worst one.

Xenoverse 2 is the best one. This video proves it. Skip to the second battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mxqMEmDb9E