Is Budokai 3 overrated?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dcx6723

Re: Is Budokai 3 overrated?

Post by dcx6723 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

On a french dragon ball book, at the end there was an interview of one the producer of Battle of Z or Xenoverse 1 (don't remember exactly or someone linked to dbz games (japanese guy)) and he clearly stated that Budokai 3 was the best title ever done.
Because of the story, the animations, graphics etc.

So, despite the guys producing the new Xernoverse title, even them will said that Budokai 3 is the best title (funny, because I read that in 2013/2014 probably).

For me that game could be easily surpassed, the engine have so many characters in Heroes...

I would love a come back of that, this graphics era is so wrong, I remember an interview of the producer of Xenoverse 2 saying that he loved the 3D of goku, looking for even more in a "real" goku (the future of dbz games gonna be worst!).
Also, nobody have reached the music level of Kenji Yamamoto yet, this is why this game will be a classic forever i guess.

Shin Budokai 2 is a better game in some way, but this is more an enhanced "portable" Budokai 3, nothing more.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 am

dcx6723 wrote:On a french dragon ball book, at the end there was an interview of one the producer of Battle of Z or Xenoverse 1 (don't remember exactly or someone linked to dbz games (japanese guy)) and he clearly stated that Budokai 3 was the best title ever done.

So, despite the guys producing the new Xernoverse title, even them will said that Budokai 3 is the best title (funny, because I read that in 2013/2014 probably).

For me that game could be easily surpassed, the engine have so many characters in Heroes...

I would love a come back of that, this graphics era is so wrong, I remember an interview of the producer of Xenoverse 2 saying that he loved the 3D of goku, looking for even more in a "real" goku (the future of dbz games gonna be worst!).
Also, nobody have reached the music level of Kenji Yamamoto yet, this is why this game will be a classic forever i guess.

Shin Budokai 2 is a better game in some way, but this is more an enhanced "portable" Budokai 3, nothing more.
Xenoversw characters look like shit, if they are going for a "realistic look" it will be even worse. Right now they look like plastic.

They nailed them in Burst Limit, why don't they get it? If Xenoverse looked like Burst Limit it would be a lot better.

And if they still think Budokai 3 was the best, why the hell don't they make a sequel for it? Or at least make Xenoverse more similar to it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 am

emperior wrote:
dcx6723 wrote:On a french dragon ball book, at the end there was an interview of one the producer of Battle of Z or Xenoverse 1 (don't remember exactly or someone linked to dbz games (japanese guy)) and he clearly stated that Budokai 3 was the best title ever done.

Xenoversw characters look like shit, if they are going for a "realistic look" it will be even worse. Right now they look like plastic.

They nailed them in Burst Limit, why don't they get it? If Xenoverse looked like Burst Limit it would be a lot better.

And if they still think Budokai 3 was the best, why the hell don't they make a sequel for it? Or at least make Xenoverse more similar to it.
The team that worked on Budokai were busy with Street Fighter.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
emperior wrote:

The team that worked on Budokai were busy with Street Fighter.
So is it still a possibility for them to work on a 2D DB game? The dream would be of having Xenoverse cycling with a Budokai game every 1-2 years. The most awesome thing that could happen is to have a DBZ game every year with a XV, Budokai and Tenkaichi cycle. Will probably never happen though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 pm

emperior wrote:So is it still a possibility for them to work on a 2D DB game? The dream would be of having Xenoverse cycling with a Budokai game every 1-2 years. The most awesome thing that could happen is to have a DBZ game every year with a XV, Budokai and Tenkaichi cycle. Will probably never happen though.
I'd like to believe so but I think they've moved onto bigger and better things than doing licensed games.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 am

Budokai 3, Infinite World, Shin Budokai 2 are my favorite DBZ games ever. Was going to also mention Attack of the Saiyans is still a major favorite of mine today but that's a different genre game. I do own Burst Limit though it is not nearly as often played as the others in the house. It's fun though.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:18 pm

I've played every Playstation 1-4 DB game, Budokai 3, for me, is still the best.
But that's just my opinion.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:14 pm

I think so... Infinite World was better in my opinion, but it was rather Budokai 3.5 with cosmetic changes.
But Budokai 3 is the only old DB games except for the current gen games, that I go to play sometimes for fun.
And for me, it's bigger fun to sit down, go for versus and fightinf with various characters, as the combat is visual DB fun in comparison to both Xenoverse games.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 pm

yes it is. 2D is just not dragon ball. this aint taken. BT3 is the perfect game

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:56 pm

gohan_black wrote:BT3 is the perfect game
Hardly. Don't get me wrong, I was raised on the teet of the BT series, and I still play them sometimes, but good lord the combat is the most repetitive thing on the planet! Except for the new games, of course, that's a whole other level of repetitious nonsense.
Retired.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
gohan_black wrote:BT3 is the perfect game
Hardly. Don't get me wrong, I was raised on the teet of the BT series, and I still play them sometimes, but good lord the combat is the most repetitive thing on the planet! Except for the new games, of course, that's a whole other level of repetitious nonsense.
its not that repetitive once you learn new combinations. but i actually love xenoverse 2 combat more. but only the characters not the combat of your character which is too repetitive.but the budokai series are just not dbz. i have also burst limit which is kinda like the budokai ones only with better graphics. its too slow and its way more boring

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Is it overrated? Perhaps. Of all the console games, it's my favourite. I never saw the appeal of the BT trilogy, but the Budokai trilogy has sentimental value to me (I even 100% completed the HD rerelease). However, I still recognise that it is heavily flawed (a personal gripe is how they only had Ginyu and Recoom representing the Ginyu Force).

Extreme Butoden would have been my perfect DBZ game had the gameplay been a tad more fleshed out, but I recognise my position as a deep fighting game lover is not an audience that Bandai (needs to) takes an interest in.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm

It's only in the overrated if people say it's a perfect game, because it's not a perfect game - Dragon Rush is a massive flaw.

But other than that?

You've got the first game with a legitimately good fighting engine.

You've got an awesome cast of characters that not only covers DBZ quite thoroughly but also has some welcome appearances from DB, GT and movies.

You've got a seriously in-depth story mode that is not only worth playing, but is actually worth replaying (rare in any fighting game).

And just overall you have a complete package. Gameplay, fanservice and polish had never intersected like they had before and rarely has it happened since.

I love BT3. It's the last DBZ game I've played and it is jam packed with fan service. But I don't think it has the sheer quality of B3.

I really wish the Budokai series would be revived, because right now there just isn't anything scratching that itch.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:You've got an awesome cast of characters that not only covers DBZ quite thoroughly...
I'll have to stop you right there. 30 characters is not really "thorough". I mean, I'm not referring to characters like Kiwi, but when Dodoria, Zarbon, Gurd, Butta, Jheese, and #19 (and probably even more) are missing, that's not quite my definition of "thorough", which is including the characters that had an impact on the story instead of skipping over them via a single text box.

Don't take this personally; I myself just don't believe that the character selection is very complete, though I will agree that it's full enough to enjoy.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:You've got an awesome cast of characters that not only covers DBZ quite thoroughly...
I'll have to stop you right there. 30 characters is not really "thorough". I mean, I'm not referring to characters like Kiwi, but when Dodoria, Zarbon, Gurd, Butta, Jheese, and #19 (and probably even more) are missing, that's not quite my definition of "thorough", which is including the characters that had an impact on the story instead of skipping over them via a single text box.

Don't take this personally; I myself just don't believe that the character selection is very complete, though I will agree that it's full enough to enjoy.
30 characters? Budokai 3 has 42 characters. And while it isn't as thorough as some other games, it does include the vast majority of the important ones and only really excludes the ones who were only around for a short time.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

90sDBZ wrote:30 characters? Budokai 3 has 42 characters. And while it isn't as thorough as some other games, it does include the vast majority of the important ones and only really excludes the ones who were only around for a short time.
30 characters was an estimation. You could've read it as "30+" or "a little over 30". There's only ~4(?) non-Z characters, which is the point I was trying to make. I guess it just irks me a little that, for one thing, it skips over most of the Ginyu Force but keeps in Reacoom. As I said before, though, it's still decent.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:

I mean if the only real omissions are a bunch of Freeza's henchmen, I would call that thorough. It's got 35 characters from the Z series alone. To me, that's thorough. It's not on the level of the first BT game, it's not a COMPLETE cast but it is a thorough one IMO.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 pm

As a fighting game, I would say so. I think it's a fun game, but I don't think it some deep fighting game like most people make it out to be.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:05 pm

when Budokai 3 came out it was great but Right now it looks meh....

i know there are fans who put this game on a solid gold Pedestal but in my opinion Budokai 3 & Tenkaichi 3 are the best DBZ games on PS2 and thats it.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm

ZeroDio wrote:when Budokai 3 came out it was great but Right now it looks meh....

i know there are fans who put this game on a solid gold Pedestal but in my opinion Budokai 3 & Tenkaichi 3 are the best DBZ games on PS2 and thats it.
Which games are better?

I'm been out of the game for a while (so to speak) and I wouldn't mind picking up a good DBZ game.