Who discovered combo cancels in Budokai?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Who discovered combo cancels in Budokai?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:49 pm

For those who don't know, combo cancels were originally an oversight in the game's move cancelling feature but became intentional and even encouraged by the computer in later games. This feature also was what helped separate the average Budokai player and someone who's actually good at the games.

Anyways, who was the genius who discovered this little secret?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: Who discovered combo cancels in Budokai?

Post by Quebaz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:08 am

The CPU in Budokai 1 when they would ocassionaly cancel into a throw. That's how I discovered them myself.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm

I can't believe I beat all the Z difficulties before I discovered it myself. Then I watched all those youtube videos thinking "how the hell did I miss this?" :P

Then the games became so much more natural to me.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:29 am

Yeah I remember the CPU would sometimes cancel into a throw in Budokai 1, then in Budokai 2 they'd be busting out fully fledged cancel side step combos into ultimates and would obliterate your health bar. Goku and Frieza would do this a lot on the higher difficulties.

In Budokai 3 the CPU would cancel a bit, but not as much as in Budokai 2. Then Infinite World came along and had the CPU cancelling like crazy again.