TRIGGER Reviews: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

TRIGGER Reviews: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 am

But the 360° of pain makes it stop:

http://triggereviews.blogspot.com/2017/ ... eview.html
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Re: TRIGGER Reviews: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi

Post by MarcBigleague » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 am

Is this old review or new review?

If it's old I don't want to read xD Becuase I played the game since release date and now play again on PCSX2 in 1440p 4:3 HD and so I maybe know better about the game than this old review writer XD The game only runs at 30fps even though PCSX2 says 60fps. I know how smooth 60fps is supposed to look from playing Raging Blast 1 and 2. I don't know why PCSX2 tells me I'm running BT 1, 2, and 3 at 60fps though...XD

But if it's new I might read to find out why someone is doing review of decade-old game on blogspot and not youtube or Kanzenshuu forum hahaha

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 am

MarcBigleague wrote:Is this old review or new review?

If it's old I don't want to read xD Becuase I played the game since release date and now play again on PCSX2 in 1440p 4:3 HD and so I maybe know better about the game than this old review writer XD The game only runs at 30fps even though PCSX2 says 60fps. I know how smooth 60fps is supposed to look from playing Raging Blast 1 and 2. I don't know why PCSX2 tells me I'm running BT 1, 2, and 3 at 60fps though...XD

But if it's new I might read to find out why someone is doing review of decade-old game on blogspot and not youtube or Kanzenshuu forum hahaha
It's new...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:Is this old review or new review?

It's new...
Oh okay I will read it, thanks for letting me know :)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 am

I think that's a pretty fair review actually. The game was lots of fun when it came out, but was an experiment that ultimately felt very limited and repetitive. BT2 and 3 are much better games, although there are certain little aspects about this game that make me go back to it every once in a while. For example, I liked how it made you recreate the anime to pass missions, and the survival missions made way more sense than having Goku beat Raditz to a pulp.

And it's the only BT game to have Yamamoto's music, so it does have that going for it at least. And I've always liked that tune that plays after you clear a mission in Z battle gate.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Interesting perspective, twelve years on.

I remember my brother telling me about it--describing it as "DBZ Zone of the Enders", which I guess isn't completely inaccurate. I enjoyed it at the time, but I was done with it pretty much once I got all the Potara unlockables. It was cool seeing Bebi in a video game for the first time, though! And Bojack after a long absence since Super Butouden 2.

I dug it out not too long ago to see how it holds up, and... good lord. Practically unplayable, honestly. The back-and-forth melee combos are reminiscent of the first Budokai. Perform a melee combo, knock them down, get back up. Or block, and do the same thing to the other person. And it was practically useless since melee attacks practically did no damage. To do anything you had to spam supers/ultimates which wasn't super fun. At best I'd call it, "a promising tech demo".
Thanos before Thanos was cool.