Do you think Xenoverse made way for a new era of modern DBZ games?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you think Xenoverse made way for a new era of modern DBZ games?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 pm

As we all know Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi have, for better or worse, set the standards for DBZ games since their debuts. After a long list of mediocre (or worse) DBZ games, Budokai was something of a revelation when it first came out... not for being a great fighting game that could compete with the likes of Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or even Dead or Alive... but for being the first DBZ game in recent memory that wasn't just another cheap cash-in. It was a competent fighter on top of being a love-letter to fans of the series. A so-so sequel later and Budokai 3 came... which proved to be a quality product regardless of it's license, pushing DBZ games from the "Fans-Only" to a full-fledged AA video game franchise. The Tenkaichi games were floating on a similar boat only they took the spectacle to a whole other level. They had an "over-the-shoulder" camera style and 360 degree movement which made them even closer to the combat of the series than ever before.

Now with Xenoverse... it seems to have employed the ideas of later DBZ games but it brings the license back to it's roots and turned out the most hyped DBZ game since BT3. Xenoverse ain't perfect but it's certainly a step up from the DBZ games being released in the past 8 or so years.

Now what do y'all think?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Xenoverse made way for a new era of modern DBZ games?

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes, it did. Honestly, I can't see DB games working the same way as before. Xenoverse is truly revolutionary. For example, I believe there won't be anymore DB games without character creation. I also think we have finally moved on from DB games retelling the same story over and over so, unless they do remakes of classic games, I can't see a brand new DB game without a original story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 pm

I suppose so, though I do dislike the RPG elements they've added, especially the worthless stat distribution system, they ought to fix those.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 pm

emperior wrote:Yes, it did. Honestly, I can't see DB games working the same way as before. Xenoverse is truly revolutionary. For example, I believe there won't be anymore DB games without character creation. I also think we have finally moved on from DB games retelling the same story over and over so, unless they do remakes of classic games, I can't see a brand new DB game without a original story.
Did Xenoverse have an original story though? Certainly Xenoverse 2 did not, it was a rehash of the first game. And the first game having an original story is debatable since it was basically play through the standard DBZ arcs with the same battles. For me at least, an original story wouldn't rely on a pre-existing storyline so much with a couple of new baddies and a loose plot from another game (DBO) to convey its own story.

It's a great step in the right direction of breaking away from the formula that DBZ games have been using for over a decade, but it isn't quite there yet.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Sin wrote:
emperior wrote:Yes, it did. Honestly, I can't see DB games working the same way as before. Xenoverse is truly revolutionary. For example, I believe there won't be anymore DB games without character creation. I also think we have finally moved on from DB games retelling the same story over and over so, unless they do remakes of classic games, I can't see a brand new DB game without a original story.
Did Xenoverse have an original story though? Certainly Xenoverse 2 did not, it was a rehash of the first game. And the first game having an original story is debatable since it was basically play through the standard DBZ arcs with the same battles. For me at least, an original story wouldn't rely on a pre-existing storyline so much with a couple of new baddies and a loose plot from another game (DBO) to convey its own story.

It's a great step in the right direction of breaking away from the formula that DBZ games have been using for over a decade, but it isn't quite there yet.
I agree with you, though Xenoverse's story deviates from the original one as we never play the cast, and there's the whole Time Nest and Time Patrol concepts. So while it's true the battles are almost the same as always, the concept behind it is quite different. Hopefully it means they really are moving on and in the future we will see a game with a truly original story which won't be based on the same battles we've seen over and over.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Well what helps Xenoverse stand out was the fatigue the community had after Spike's repetitive attempts to redo BT3 while they were trying to transition onto the last gen but the changes they made to the Raging blast generation were so minimalistic and in someways regressed behind what BT3 had in the argued simplification of gameplay and in watered down content, people got sick of. The games though were also getting repetitive to people with Namco's refusal to go back to Dimps for a 2D fighter when most people around the time of the fatigue with the failed BT3 clones. Thats when I heard people were starting to feel the 3D camera was getting gimmicky due to the lack of significant difference between RB1 & RB2 and the constant debate on what people wanted from a storymode.

Personally though, I don't like Xenoverse's story. I found it too incoherent for me to understand, but by XV2 Miira and Towa got really boring as villains and I was unable to see their actual plan going anywhere. I'd rather them use Goku Black, Zamasu and the Grand priest for the same roles over Miira, and Towa because at least they had enough depth as characters for a decent storyline. Miira and Towa were too 1 dimensional.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:51 pm

I feel both Xenoverse and Fusions, as ideas, have set the "gold standard" for the future of DBZ games. I don't feel like we can go back to games like Budokai, Tenkaichi, or Raging Blast that just tells a story. Though I can't say that we won't get games like that (Extreme Butoden) for example

Though my only hope is that they keep these new ideas fresh. I honestly liked Fusions more and was more hyped for Fusions than XV2 because it was doing something completely new. I feel there is gonna be only so many times we go back and fix timelines before things get stale

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:29 am

I really hope not.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I feel there is gonna be only so many times we go back and fix timelines before things get stale
Pretty much this. It will work for XV3 to finish off "trilogy concept" but after that they will need something fresh and bring in lots of new ideas. Would be a good time anyway assuming Super transformes into post-EOZ tv series within the next few years

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 am

I think that they have regressed to a level of fan fiction made true with custom characters. At least when they were fighters, not necessarily the Budokai games, they were trying a game of a known genre. I can't tell what this third person spamming fest actually is, but some people call it a DBZ simulator, when I wanted the collective of Akira Toriyama's works instead. You know, to have his charm and drawing quality, or the need to mimic his style.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon May 22, 2017 12:15 pm

The problem is that you can only retell the same story so many times. We all know the Namek, Cell and Buu arcs like the back of our hands.

I think the concept of these original stories is awesome but agreed we can only fix timelines so much. Id like to see a direction where we are given more input into how the story unfolds.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Am I the only person who really doesn't care for any of the game's content, other than the gameplay?

I don't know why I'm like this, but since the ps3 era the number 1 thing which I've been concerned with regarding DB games has been how the game actually feels on the battle ground. That includes the entire spectrum/experience of it; the physics, how heavy the punching and even walking/running is, how flying feels, to the fighting and in particular how 'to-and-fro' the experience is. My number one complaint regarding DB games has been how plastic, light or mediocre the games feel in movement and combat.

It's for this reason why I could never take interest in threads like this where the quality of the actual game experience is overlooked, as if to assume it is good enough, and judgement comes mainly down to the rest of the game's content.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm

DonieZ wrote:Am I the only person who really doesn't care for any of the game's content, other than the gameplay?

I don't know why I'm like this, but since the ps3 era the number 1 thing which I've been concerned with regarding DB games has been how the game actually feels on the battle ground. That includes the entire spectrum/experience of it; the physics, how heavy the punching and even walking/running is, how flying feels, to the fighting and in particular how 'to-and-fro' the experience is. My number one complaint regarding DB games has been how plastic, light or mediocre the games feel in movement and combat.

It's for this reason why I could never take interest in threads like this where the quality of the actual game experience is overlooked, as if to assume it is good enough, and judgement comes mainly down to the rest of the game's content.
Not entirely, I still am a Dragon Ball fan and I'd like to play in the Dragon Ball world. That said I don't really care for Create-a-Character stuff and I'm hoping after Xeno 3 Dimps just reuses the engine for a non-CaC game that actually focuses on things from the manga and shows.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 pm

I've never even played Xenoverse. The art-style is worse than Budokai 1, and that's an issue.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:16 am

Quebaz wrote:
DonieZ wrote:Am I the only person who really doesn't care for any of the game's content, other than the gameplay?

Not entirely, I still am a Dragon Ball fan and I'd like to play in the Dragon Ball world. That said I don't really care for Create-a-Character stuff and I'm hoping after Xeno 3 Dimps just reuses the engine for a non-CaC game that actually focuses on things from the manga and shows.
For me it's not enough that you take DB related material, be it characters, costumes, lore, throw it into a game where the characters appear to moving replicate the battle of the show, and call it a true DB production. Now I know that there are different dubs, with different soundtracks, lines, and feels, and that the Japanese is even more different in this aspect. However to me the feel of a game is very important, in that how it corresponds to what I grew up watching. It's a no-brainer that you add music to the back of any kind of video and it changes the feel entirely, and so is the case with DB. And it's not only the music, a production, be it cartoon or live-action, all give of a 'feel', and to me this is just as important, no, more important than what DB items or whatever easter eggs are included in a game.

Now, I'm not saying that different games can't have different 'feels' and that doing so would make me not feel like I'm playing a game based on the show I grew up watching. However you made the point that "I'm still a Dragon Ball fan and I'd like to play in the Dragon Ball world." I have to be honest but most of what I've played don't make me feel like I'm playing a game based in the Dragon Ball world. You might as well be taking elements of Dragon Ball and throwing them into a totally different game or universe.

So when the above is the case, if the gameplay isn't at least what I aspire it to be, then I'm gonna turn off.