Wishes and ideas for a return to 2.5D games

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Wishes and ideas for a return to 2.5D games

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello, I decided to open a thread listing our wishes and ideas for a possible return of 2.5D games. This thread could also serve as a discussion on whether you guys want or do not want to see Dragon Ball games go back to 2.5D gameplay

The last 2.5D Dragon Ball game we got was Burst Limit, which was liked by many fans even though it had few characters and stopped at Buu Saga.
Burst Limit sold pretty well despite the fact it came out only on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, at a time where many people still had not made the switch to the newer consoles, and the game wasn't even marketed much. But it was a very promising game and it had a lot of potential.
In general, 2.5D Dragon Ball games have always been fun, easy to pick-up games, with a deep system behind which offered the possibility to chain various mechanics to create complicated combos. These games are also ideal for 1v1 fights. Dimps has always excelled at making 2.5D games, so it would be good to see them come back to 2.5D Dragon Ball games.

Ideas and wishes for a hypothetical 2.5D Dragon Ball game

- 2.5D gameplay, locked at 60fps
- Large enough roster featuring the main characters of the series up to Super, each with their personal fighting style and customizable movepool
- Create-a-Character feature similar to Xenoverse 2
- Training mode
- Long story mode with side-missions/what-ifs
- Online multiplayer
- Graphics similar to those of Burst Limit (which had good Cel-Shading and amazing aura effects) to get closer to how the anime looks
- Similar gameplay to Shin Budokai 2 and Burst Limit
- Aura Burst, a mechanic from the Shin Budokais that speeds up gameplay and makes the battles look more like those of the anime, should return
- Directional input during combos, with directional guard and directional hits. Fatigue system should work exactly like it worked in Budokai 3
- Ki and Transformations should be handled like on Shin Budokai
- Option of choosing an already transformed character
- Drama scenes from Burst Limit could return, but only for story mode
- Real-time ultimates like in Burst Limit/Shin Budokai, without the blue screen but with a more cinematic look like in other games
- Complex combo system, including cancels, with more animations and combo possibilities
- Different combo strings for every character
- Permanent battle damage and permanent scenario destruction (like in Ultimate Tenkaichi) for better immersion.
- Realistic clothes destruction system
- As many moves and costumes as possible for each character

Roster:

Characters (66):

[spoiler]Good (26):

- Created Character
- Goku (SSJ, FPSSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJ4, SSB) [SSG]
- Vegeta (SSJ, Super Vegeta, SSJ2, SSJ4, SSB) [Majin]
- Gogeta (SSJ, SSJ4)
- Vegetto (SSJ, SSB)
- Kid Gohan (Potential Unlock)
- FPSSJ Gohan (SSJ2)
- Adult Gohan (SSJ, SSJ2, Ultimate)
- Future Gohan (SSJ)
- Future Trunks (SSJ, USSJ, SSJ2, SSJ Rage)
- Kid Trunks (SSJ)
- Goten (SSJ)
- Gotenks (SSJ, SSJ3)
- Piccolo
- Krillin (Potential Unlock)
- Yamcha
- Tenshinan (Four-Arms)
- Jiaozi
- Jaco
- Kaioshin
- Cabba (SSJ)
- Master Roshi (Buff)
- Kid Goku
- Kid Krillin
- Arale
- Chi-Chi

Neutral (14):

- Bardock
- # 18
- # 17
- # 16
- Fat Buu
- Beerus
- Whis
- Champa
- Vados
- Botamo
- Hit
- Basil
- Lavender
- Bergamo

Bad (26):

- King Piccolo
- Taobaibai [Cyborg]
- Raditz
- Nappa
- Zarbon (Monster)
- Recoome
- Ginyu
- Freezer (1st Transformation, 2nd Transformation, Final Form, 100%, Golden) [Mecha]
- Dr Gero
- Cell (Imperfect, Semi-Perfect, Perfect)
- Dabura
- Super Buu (Gotenks Absorbed, Gohan Absorbed)
- Kid Buu
- Broly (SSJ, LSSJ)
- Janemba
- Bojack (Transformation)
- Turles
- Slug
- Frost (Assault Form, Final Form)
- Goku Black (SSR)
- Zamasu
- Merged Zamasu
- Baby Vegeta
- Super 17
- Omega Shenron[/spoiler]

Stages (28):

[spoiler]- Goku's house
- Wastelands
- Desert
- Rocky Area
- Mountain Road
- City
- Ruined City
- Islands
- King Kai's planet
- Namek
- Destroyed Namek
- Budokai Tenkaichi Tournament v1
- Budokai Tenkaichi Tournament v2
- Cell Games Arena
- Nameless Planet Tournament
- Kami's Lookout base
- Kami's Lookout
- Room of Spirit and Time
- Sacred World of the Kais
- Ruined Future Earth
- Capsule Corp.
- Future Capsule Corp.
- Bulma's boat
- Outer Space (Earth)
- Outer Space (Planet Vegeta)
- Beerus' planet
- Resurrection "F" stage
- Planet Tsufuru[/spoiler]
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Wishes and ideas for a return to 2.5D games

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 pm

To be honest, all I really need is:
- Burst Limit's general gameplay
- Shin Budokai's Aura Dashing & Pursuit Combos
- Xenoverse's HUD (I thought was the smallest to fit the screen)
- Storymode Styled like BT3 or RB (Where dialogue captions happened in-fights as opposed to cut scenes)
- Infinite World's Capsule System.
- Customizable Technique Selection like Xenoverse's.
- Pre-Selecting Forms to start battles in like Tenkaichi & Raging Blast
- Planet Explosions From Budokai & DB Heroes
- Side Scrolling stages (I don't know if they were already like that, but the flight combat was best in Super Sonic Warriors 1)
- Team Battles of 5 v. 5 As like Tenkaichi 3 or Soul Calibur
- Dragon Rush from Burst Limit
- Stage Destruction transitions (Ultimate Tenkaichi)
- Stage Selectable Music (Tenkaichi 3)
- Parry Counters & High/Low Guard (Tenkaichi 3)
- Budokai 3's Overworld Flight

-New Additions:
Aura Dash "smashes", just being able to launch strikes while dashing forward
More directional Aura Dashing (Basically being able to dash upward and downward)
Easier side-step mobility, similar to Soul Calibur's 8-Way-Run
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 am

I just want a deeper move pool, but without splitting characters into eras like the Tenkaichi games did (although having Breakthroughs that preset to different eras would be fun). The thing that's apparent after playing a game like Mortal Kombat (which has a similar style of gameplay to the Budokai series) is how limiting it is to have just one or two Supers and an Ultimate. Having more techniques to play with would make customizing characters more fun, without the shoehorned generics of the Tenkaichi series. In particular, Piccolo, Tenshinhan and Yamcha could really be brought alive by utilizing moves and combos from Dragon Ball (Four Armed Tenshinhan, anyone?!).

I'd also like transformation capsules to include the prerequisite forms so they don't take up to the whole tray, which would also open up neat options like separate transformation chains (for example, equipping Goku with the full rack of Kaiokens instead of the SSJ forms, or giving Vegeta USSJ instead of SSJ2). I'd also like to see some transformations that activate at the start of battle (like Support capsules), such as all forms of potential unlock (including Mystic Gohan), Piccolo's fusions and FPSSJ for Goku and Gohan (maybe setting their ki baseline to maximum?). I prefer this to being able to pre-select a transformation because the transformations in Budokai 3 feel way more dynamic (an option to revert to base form is all that's missing) and in general I feel a transformation is something the player should have to earn. I'd also like to see SSJ3 tweaked to have a lower ki baseline than Base form, the price to pay for maximum power - in Budokai 3 SSJ2 Goku is nothing more than a prerequisite for SSJ3 and that annoys me.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 am

If they returned to 2.5D, I think putting too many bells and whistles detract from the spirit of those games.
I would rather they keep the customization to a minimum.
I'd also like to see a focus on the classic animation such as DB, Z, GT, Movies, and Specials.
I just want a throw back game to the old days of DBZ games, now that we have things like Super, Heroes, Xeno, DBO a lot of the classic stuff is getting left behind.

I miss the PS2 days... I still don't think they scrapped the bottom of the barrel when it came to characters back then either.
Even though it definitely seemed like it. They never made use of Rildo, Ledgic, a lot of GT, Pui Pui and henchmen from earlier movies.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:08 am

-Burst Limit gameplay with Budokai 3 ki/fatigue system and Shin Budokai aura dashing
-Customization similar to Infinite World's capsule system (transformations are integratable to characters)
-Budokai 1-style Story Mode but much longer
-Practice Mode on par with Tekken or Skullgirls
-Burst Limit graphics locked at 60fps
-Online Multiplayer with no lag like Raging Blast
-Battle damage and destructible environments like Ultimate Tenkaichi but even moreso

Roster:

[spoiler]Goku - Base, Kaioken, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan God, Super Saiyan Blue
Kid Goku (unlockable)
Goku (GT) (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan 4
Kid Gohan - Base, Potential Unleashed
Teen Gohan (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2
Gohan (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Elder Kai's Unlock Ability
Future Gohan (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan
Gt. Saiyaman (unlockable)
Vegeta - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan Blue
Vegeta (GT) (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 4
Trunks (sword/no sword) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Trunks
Goten - Base, Super Saiyan
Kid Trunks - Base, Super Saiyan
Piccolo
Krillin - Base, Potential Unleashed
Yamcha
Master Roshi/Jackie Chun (unlockable)
Tien
Chiaotzu
Yajirobe
Chi-Chi (unlockable)
Hercule (unlockable) - Base, High Tension
Videl (unlockable)
Uub (unlockable)
Pan (unlockable)
Nam (unlockable)
Gotenks (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3
Vegito (unlockable) - Base, Super Vegito, Super Vegito Blue
Gogeta (unlockable)
SSJ4 Gogeta (unlockable)
Bardock (unlockable)
Magetta (unlockable)
Cabba (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan
Hit (unlockable)
Raditz
Nappa
Saibaman
Cui
Zarbon - Base, Monster Form
Dodoria
Guldo (unlockable)
Recoome (unlockable)
Burter (unlockable)
Jeice (unlockable)
Captain Ginyu (unlockable)
Frieza (unlockable) - First Form, Second Form, Third Form, True Form, True Form 100% Power
Android #16 (unlockable)
Android #17 (unlockable)
Android #18 (unlockable)
Android #19
Android #20
Cell (unlockable) - Imperfect Form, Semi-Perfect Form, Perfect Form, Super Perfect Form
Cell jr. (unlockable)
Dabura - Base, Demonic Will
Majin Buu
Super Buu (unlockable) - Base, Gotenks absorbed, Gohan absorbed
Kid Buu (unlockable)
Giran (unlockable)
General Blue (unlockable)
Mercenary Tao (unlockable)
King Piccolo (unlockable)
Cyborg Tao (unlockable)
Turtles (unlockable)
Cooler (unlockable) - True Form, Fifth Form
Broly (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan, Legendary Super Saiyan
Janemba (unlockable) - Super Form
Beerus (unlockable)
Whis (unlockable)
Ledgic (unlockable)
General Rildo (unlockable) - Base, Meta Form, Hyper Meta Form
Baby (unlockable) - Base, Super Baby, Super Baby 2
Super #17 (unlockable)
Nuova Shenron (unlockable)
Ice Shenron (unlockable)
Syn Shenron (unlockable) - Base, Omega Form
Frost (unlockable) - Base, Third Form, True Form
Goku Black (unlockable) - Base, Super Saiyan Rose
Zamasu (unlockable)
Merged Zamasu (unlockable)[/spoiler]
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.