DBZ 2017 Game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

DBZ 2017 Game?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Since it is May and we normally get news for this year's DBZ game. The month is almost over and nothing new has been stated yet. Do you guys think that we will get something new to be announced?
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: DBZ 2017 Game?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Seeing as how they're still actively developing DLC for Xenoverse 2 (even though that's pretty much done Q2 this year) and we know the Switch version will need some marketing later this year, I wouldn't necessarily count on some kind of major announcement. I can see the end of the year being some kind of supplemental, smaller-scale project, not necessarily the direct follow-up to XV2.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 pm

I won't mind if Namco Bandai re-releases some PS2 DBZ games on the PSN since they already have PS2 games to be downloadable or a HD remaster collection. Super DBZ and Sparking Meteor don't seem to have issues with music unlike Budokai 1-3.
She/Her

Dragotaker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragotaker » Wed May 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Budokai Tenkaichi 4 [spoiler]:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:[/spoiler]

Or at the very least a remastered version of Budokai Tenkaichi 3 like they did with Budokai 1 and 3, that'll be cool.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 pm

I'd be happy with no announcement this year. Both Xenoverse 2 and Fusions were well received beefy games, I think DBZ gamers are set for this year. Save the big XV3 announcement for next year.

Funny enough, no series since Tenkaichi 3 has reached trilogy status, everyone knows the 'third is the best' rule for Dragon Ball games so I'm hoping this stays true here as well.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:20 pm

The most likely thing I see happening is a Sparking! HD Collection. If it happens, I will pray for the Japanese score as an option!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Rhymestyle did a video on the next game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxl4HDDBLZA
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 26, 2017 5:40 pm

I think re-releasing in HD the Tenkaichi/Sparking series would be the best bet. Let the fandom soak in nostalgia for a bit while DIMPS get more time to work on Xenoverse 3.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 27, 2017 8:46 am

There's a mobile game that's been announced... For 2018.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 27, 2017 9:11 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I think re-releasing in HD the Tenkaichi/Sparking series would be the best bet. Let the fandom soak in nostalgia for a bit while DIMPS get more time to work on Xenoverse 3.
Yeah I'm betting on that as well. Hopefully they don't pull a Budokai HD Collection and not include Tenkaichi 2 like what they did with Budokai 2. Tenkaichi 2 is one of my favourite DBZ games and also has a fantastic OST.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think re-releasing in HD the Tenkaichi/Sparking series would be the best bet. Let the fandom soak in nostalgia for a bit while DIMPS get more time to work on Xenoverse 3.
Yeah I'm betting on that as well. Hopefully they don't pull a Budokai HD Collection and not include Tenkaichi 2 like what they did with Budokai 2. Tenkaichi 2 is one of my favourite DBZ games and also has a fantastic OST.
This. Even though it would be ideal for them to do all 3, I'd rather them leave out BT1 than BT2. In quite a few ways I still prefer 2 to 3. Come to think of it BT1 used the Yamamoto Budokai music, so that would likely get a replacement score.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Considering how lazy Xenoverse 2 was, hopefully there is no new game this year.

I'd rather they wait until late next year for them to release a proper full fledged Xenoverse sequel.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:36 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
This. Even though it would be ideal for them to do all 3, I'd rather them leave out BT1 than BT2. In quite a few ways I still prefer 2 to 3. Come to think of it BT1 used the Yamamoto Budokai music, so that would likely get a replacement score.
The first game only use Yamamoto's music in the American release while the Japanese release had the original music from the anime.
She/Her

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm

I'd actually like to see a new game in the same line as the Budokai/Infinite World/Burst limit style of play, only far more in depth. I know that would mean limited forms/roster size, but a higher quality of gameplay is worth it in the end. More unique, fleshed out movesets other than just button mashing combos and gigantic screen filling blasts.

In other words, NOT 3D style MVC type gameplay. I'd actually prefer something along the lines of Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive or even Tekken.

As far as remakes/HD re-releases, i would indeed be happy to see Tenkaichi 3 and both Raging Blast games as well as Infinite World (Yes, I prefer it to B3. :P )

Actually, if they could just take the good parts of RB1 and put them into RB2, they could just call it Raging Blast Special. I prefer the roster and systems from RB2, but I liked the fact that RB1 actually had a story mode and some VERY interesting what if stories. Shouldn't be too hard to make either. I could see it spending a few months in development before being released.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:54 am

Bullza wrote:Considering how lazy Xenoverse 2 was, hopefully there is no new game this year.

I'd rather they wait until late next year for them to release a proper full fledged Xenoverse sequel.
Since the Xenoverse games, I've stopped playing DBZ games, so please, no more Xenoverse.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:04 am

sangofe wrote:
Bullza wrote:Considering how lazy Xenoverse 2 was, hopefully there is no new game this year.

Since the Xenoverse games, I've stopped playing DBZ games, so please, no more Xenoverse.
They're very unlikely to stop considering these Xenoverse games have been the most successful Dragon Ball games since the Budokai trilogy days. Infact I'd go as far as to say they'd be stupid to stop making them.

Xenoverse 2 just came across as a Xenoverse 1.5 or the equivalent of Naruto Ultimate Storm Generations. A tremendously lazy cash in that was mostly recycled content.

I'd hope that wouldn't be the case for a Xenoverse 3.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 am

Bullza wrote:
sangofe wrote:

They're very unlikely to stop considering these Xenoverse games have been the most successful Dragon Ball games since the Budokai trilogy days. Infact I'd go as far as to say they'd be stupid to stop making them.

Xenoverse 2 just came across as a Xenoverse 1.5 or the equivalent of Naruto Ultimate Storm Generations. A tremendously lazy cash in that was mostly recycled content.

I'd hope that wouldn't be the case for a Xenoverse 3.
From my perspective as someone who doesn't enjoy Xenoverse, I think It'd be great if they made something new. But I totally agree that from a business perspective it would be a gamble to take.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:32 am

sangofe wrote:From my perspective as someone who doesn't enjoy Xenoverse, I think It'd be great if they made something new. But I totally agree that from a business perspective it would be a gamble to take.
I wouldn't mind something new either. They could do a spiritual successor to Budokai or Burst Limit by making a game that covered the events of Dragon Ball Super up through to... probably the Future Trunks saga.

It'd have the cutscenes that'd tell the story kinda like Budokai 1 did. Perhaps have an hub area with a shops to purchase the capsules and other unlockables like Xenoverse did.

I didn't mind Xenoverse because it was different but the combat was actually pretty poor. So I'd rather have something that more resembles Tekken, fast paced and that actually requires skill to play rather than fumbling around in the air with awkward camera movement and pulling off the same few moves.