Q&A: What do you want to see in a 2D Action-RPG

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Q&A: What do you want to see in a 2D Action-RPG

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Dragon Ball has received some pretty decent RPGs and the best being released on the DS several years ago, sadly we never got a continuation of that series... But the issue with that one was that it was a traditional RPG, not something I'd personally develop for a Dragon Ball Game.
For the A-RPG the closest thing we got was the Legacy of Goku franchise which was more of an adventure game with basic RPG mechanics, you had no party so there was no ally support (I mean cmon... fan games at least added this albeit not well.)

There are some things for a DB A-RPG to negate and the main one is Battle Power, the number simply wouldn't work well after the Freeza arc and by the time I got to super the number would essentially be too huge.

One thing that must be added is aerial combat but the transition would be an issue as it's 2D, I could add some depth and use scaling and add clouds/fog as you go to higher heights.

What do you want to see?

Here's the basic A-RPG in a nutshell.
- Ally support
- Entire map targetting (think energy barrage)
- Enemy targeting
- Player/Ai Sensing (basically line of sight in a traditional A-RPG but I'd go an extra mile and put if the enemy is at a higher level it can sense you but the player is at a higher level it can either try and fight or run away unless it's a boss fight)
- Powerup items
- Healing Items
- Branching Dialogue

The game engine I would use is Godot, however a lot of things will be changing in Godot 3 such as C# scripting, Visual Scripting, new renderer, new audio engine, too much to really say here.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/