Would another Dragon Ball MMO work?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Would another Dragon Ball MMO work?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:41 pm

We all know Dragon Ball Online was a failure, but that's because the people behind it released it in Korea and only Korea. I'm sure it would of lasted longer if it was released worldwide. Like the current Dragon Ball game and it's sequel.

So, with that said, I have a question. if they released another MMO based on Heroes and Super (written by a new team along with Toyotaro and Toriyama), would it work? I'm asking this because I'm not really a fan of Xenoverse I only came for the MMO elements and I wasn't too thrilled with what I saw. That and them rushing Xenoverse 2 to the point where they missed Super was almost a deal breaker. And I'm pretty skeptical on Xenoverse 3. (I'm expecting 8 characters. 10 if we're lucky)

Looking at these trailers for Heroes I'm seeing the massive potential they'd have as more than just a Japan only arcade game (if done correctly it could blow the Xenoverse series out of the water) and I'd love to support it.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would another Dragon Ball MMO work?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am

An MMO written by Toriyama / Toyotaro with their current ideas would end badly.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Of course a MMO would work. The main complaint with Xenoverse is the repetitive quests and lack of an open world.

I think a MMO that focus on cooperation with other users woyld be awesome, then just add a pvp battle area to it.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Absolutely. Given the amount of races and diverse abilities and techniques that can be shared in the Dragon Ball universe a full blown MMO, would the appropriate amount of time and development, would absolutely work.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Huh? What about this? https://dbo.global/
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm

DrakenballP wrote:Huh? What about this? https://dbo.global/
That's Dragon Ball Online with its server available through fans' work.

About another MMO... I don't know. What makes Dragon Ball Online so amazing is its vast world set officially after the manga. It's not just another game among many others. Dragon Ball Online is THE game. Another MMO would work only if it brings interesting content and one that happens in the main continuity.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Grimlock wrote:
That's Dragon Ball Online with its server available through fans' work.

About another MMO... I don't know. What makes Dragon Ball Online so amazing is its vast world set officially after the manga. It's not just another game among many others. Dragon Ball Online is THE game. Another MMO would work only if it brings interesting content and one that happens in the main continuity.
Ah. An official MMO. Understood. Either way, this Dragon Ball MMO exists and it's everything that could be asked for in my opinion, I played very little of the official and I'm not even sure why it was shutdown.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:47 am

DrakenballP wrote:I played very little of the official and I'm not even sure why it was shutdown.
Incompetent people handling it. It had great potential but they were too lazy to bring any updates on a consistent basis. And even then, there were many players. Shutting it down was terrible :(

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Well it's in pre-open beta and everything will get wiped.

That and the project lead isn't exactly my favorite guy.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time