"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:46 am

I agree that we shouldn't be disparaging certain communities with regard to some imaginary "hivemind" that they don't actually hold, because that's impossible, and also because you wouldn't want the same thing levied against you/us.

On the other hand, YouTube gonna be YouTube.

I think part of the issue going on here is that we're constantly seeing the "mainstream" comments of a group that never actually ages. It's perpetually the same younger group of... well, let's be honest, kids and very young adults... that have these heightened, hyperbolic, vocal expressions. Theoretically, people grow out of this and move on to more constructive ways of expressing themselves, and/or "grow out" of the fandom itself. It's certainly something we've struggled with as a website for nearly 20 years, both from a personal, administrative end of things as our own individuals that continue to grown and learn, but also from the audience side of things!

So we can point back to how it will have been TEN YEARS! since the last 2D-field gameplay for a console Dragon Ball fighting game... but a lot of these people complaining weren't old enough to have been voicing their opinions about things back then, and don't have the life experience to actively (and productively) reflect on things. They know what they know, they like what they know, and they take anything "different" as an affront. There's no conceptualization that a different kind of game being made doesn't somehow preclude them from receiving another version of what they DO like, just at a later point in time.

The best thing you can do (and this applies for ANYTHING, whether it be gameplay styles you like, voice casts you like, composers you like, etc.) is not to attack them back, but gushingly explain why you love what you love. Enthusiasm is far more effective and addictive than negativity, which is only going to make each "side" more stubborn in the long run.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 am

"Dragon Ball Fighter Z has been developed approx 20%. (by Tomoko Hiroki Producer)"

https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/ ... 6698913793

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:06 am

LightBing wrote:The gameplay continues to impress, that "DESTRUCTIVE" when Golden Freeza kills a character by hurling against a mountain is awesome. I guess it's this game's own "fatality" mirroring the Mortal Kombat games.
Not like Fatalities at all. Fatalities are a specific input that give specific finishers after the opponent has already lost. This is more inline with Street Fighter V, where if you knock someone off screen there's a stage-specific finisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-b3zo05LI

The "Destructive" is probably a reference to the "Destroyed" that pops up when doing Insta-Kills in Guilty Gear. Those are sort of Fatalities, as they instantly end the match when they land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2PNm4CsH50

The biggest difference between them and Fatalities is that a Fatality doesn't need to be preformed, the opponent will die if you just do nothing, where Insta-Kills and those SFV screen transitions are moves that finish off the opponent's remaining health.
Last edited by Zidiane on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 am

shadd21 wrote:Shame that out of this 24 character roster, 3 of the character slots will be reserved for SSG Goku SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta
What makes you think that?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 am

Noah wrote: So, you're basically saying the reason they don't produce a decent DBZ game with large roster, characters with unique combos nowadays are lazyness?
More or less. Bandai just wants more money every year. They' don't really care what the fans want. If they create "BT4" (huge roster with unique combos, huge story mode with what-ifs, lots of extra modes, etc) then there would no reason to buy the next game and thus they don't make more money.

Xenoverse 2 is laziness in a nutshell, to be honest.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:More or less. Bandai just wants more money every year. They' don't really care what the fans want. If they create "BT4" (huge roster with unique combos, huge story mode with what-ifs, lots of extra modes, etc) then there would no reason to buy the next game and thus they don't make more money.

Xenoverse 2 is laziness in a nutshell, to be honest.
You have a skewed-at-best, dangerous-at-worst understanding of game development and business operations.

The game that you're asking for cannot exist. There is not a large enough audience of people who are Dragon Ball fans > that play video games > that like fighting games > that like that kind of fighting game > that can afford to pay for them to support the extensive development resources for such a project. It would take time and money that simply can't be dedicated to something like that, particularly in the modern era of game hardware/software development, because there is no reality in which it can be recouped.

Quite frankly, FighterZ is a way safer business decision than any other sequel (Sparking, Blast, etc.). The gameplay itself appeals to a broader group of fans than simply Dragon Ball fans; should they excel at what they're looking to accomplish, that has the potential to draw in more of everything (players, exposure, revenue), which benefits the players of THIS game (longer support, potential for sequels), as well as the players of OTHER Dragon Ball games (more time to dedicate on the side to other projects, flip-flopping development/release years on different types of games, etc.).

I don't work for Bandai Namco and I gain absolutely nothing from explaining (or "defending") this stuff, but it's beyond frustrating to continue reading these kinds of naive and ignorant viewpoints from backseat development drivers.

Can you explain how you arrived at the decision(s) you did in the post I'm quoting?

(See my earlier post relatively close up above this one. This seems to be more of the "Fuck you, you can't have what you want" attitude. As if FighterZ somehow precludes them from ever working on something else again, or is an acknowledgement of 3D's defeat. Blame the other fans, and blame the developer... for... something?)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:Quite frankly, FighterZ is a way safer business decision than any other sequel (Sparking, Blast, etc.). The gameplay itself appeals to a broader group of fans than simply Dragon Ball fans; should they excel at what they're looking to accomplish, that has the potential to draw in more of everything (players, exposure, revenue), which benefits the players of THIS game (longer support, potential for sequels), as well as the players of OTHER Dragon Ball games (more time to dedicate on the side to other projects, flip-flopping development/release years on different types of games, etc.).
I come directly from the fighting game community. A lot of people who never took much interest in Dragon Ball games are INCREDIBLY excited (people who play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, Skullgirls, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc). There are tournament organizers setting up to promote the game on their biggest stages. The game will get constant attention through the world of esports, things like articles explaining tournament performance. There are even esports leagues that are organizing to figure out the best ways to promote the game.

I've been a DB fan for a long time, and I'm super excited by the buzz I'm seeing. There's going to be a lot of support and spotlight for this game.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:53 am

Zidiane wrote:Not like Fatalities at all. Fatalities are a specific input that give specific finishers after the opponent has already lost. This is more inline with Street Fighter V, where if you knock someone off screen there's a stage-specific finisher.
You're right, I made a far too broad comparison. It was the first thing that pooped into my head.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 am

First of all, let me say that I am already a huge, HUGE fan of this game. Ever since I played Marvel Super Heroes back in 97’, I always dreamed of Capcom making a badass looking Dragon Ball Z fighting game that wasn’t ass like Final Bout or plain-looking like Ultimate Battle 22. And while I considered the Budokai series an extremely well-made product (at least #1 and #3), once the DBZ fighting went to Tenkaichi, DBZ gaming died a bit inside me. Xenoverse was a compromise, a game made by DIMPS - the makers of the Budokai craze - but it lacked the 2D gameplay I wanted to see in a Dragon Ball game all these years.

And no, MUGEN didn’t do it for me. I want good, professional work, not heavily modded freeware stuff.

So this ... this is a long lost dream come true. After seeing the very two first screenshots I was completely floored with Arc System's amazing work and when I saw the trailer I was pumping my fists in pure joy.

And I’m 37 years old. Never grew up, did I? Anyways, this, along with Frieza’s true resurrection in Super (along with Krillin’s latest accomplishments) have even made me start watching Dragon Ball Super. I’m a DBZ fan once more, not just some lurker who a couple of years ago wrote some fanfiction to give his own vision of Dragon Ball.

So when I read the bile-filled comments on YouTube I was angry at first, but it got me thinking ... and I decided that, in a way, they’re right. Now don’t get me wrong, I wholly love and will make deep love to this game once I buy it day #1 from the PS Store, but I understand where the haters are coming from.

“IT LOOKS LIKE A MOBILE GAME !!!” : This is an accusation that is probably made by the people who saw one Dragon Ball Z game released for Android, and which has many similarities in terms of animation. You see, while Arc Sys has an awesome art style, their animation (where pure gameplay is concerned) is 50-50. There are instances where there is a tremendous amount of frames (like when a fighter is knocked to the ground), and other instances where it’s almost non-existent. Heck, I spotted a couple of kick attacks by Cell which have literally two frames of animation. So, while I totally get why ASW does it, I also get why some people see this and consider it a drop of quality when compared to say, Xenoverse’s fully 3D fluid movement. I am pretty sure that if Arc System Works didn’t go with their pseudo-2D style and had fully-3D fluid motion, there wouldn’t be such complaints.

That said, the super moves cutscene transitions are simply out of this world. It’s like the gameplay and the anime are fully interactive with each other.

“IT’S NOT LIKE TENKAICHI!! IT’S CRAP!!” : Again, this is an understandable attitude. Tenkaichi and Raging Blast and Xenoverse created the whole 3D arena fighter, which while it does have some faults (identical play between characters, not deep enough battle and combo system), it also provides the best possible emulation of fight and flight system the series is mostly known for. FighterZ cannot provide that - it’s a rock solid fighting game but it doesn’t have (and doesn’t want to have) free-roam flight mechanics. It’s a different type of game.

And wait until we get the final roster ... that’s when YouTube is going to turn into a bloodbath.

So yeah, Tenkaichi fans and Xenoverse fans don’t care for deep fighting mechanics - they want huge rosters, free-roaming and, recently, character customization. FighterZ will not provide that, which is why they’re disappointed.

But this game isn’t for them. This game is for the FGC. This game is for EVO. This game is for all Dragon Ball *2D fighting* game fans. This game is for me.

In my opinion, Bandai Namco should do well to make a statement and quickly point out that Xenoverse isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and that they made (hopefully began) the FighterZ (franchise) in order to satisfy Dragon Ball FIGHTING fans who wanted a 2D gameplay fighter for years - YEARS. That way the hatred will tone down and everyone will be happy.

Although I’m shocked at people who honestly believed they would get a Xenoverse 3 announcement THIS year. That was clearly insane.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:[

The game that you're asking for cannot exist. There is not a large enough audience of people who are Dragon Ball fans > that play video games > that like fighting games > that like that kind of fighting game > that can afford to pay for them to support the extensive development resources for such a project. It would take time and money that simply can't be dedicated to something like that, particularly in the modern era of game hardware/software development, because there is no reality in which it can be recouped.
I know. That game not being able to exist realistically was my exact point.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:16 pm

You know, what REALLY makes BT3 the "BEST" for them? Nostalgia? Aside from the roster (that I see more negatively than positive, because there's a lot of characters no one cares and it's very unbalanced), I don't really see their point. BT2 was really better gameplay wise for me, but everyone keeps talking about BT3 everytime and everywhere
There's a lot of Budokai Tenkaichi-like games. When were finally going for something different, they use the same words, wanting BT3 remake or sequel. I really don't understand. I agree those last games weren't that great (Battle of Z, everyone?), but if there's something that is really good is that Bamco is trying to innovate since they brought a long forgotten game exclusive character called Hatchiyack to RB2. They are going for different games, new characters and to expand the Dragon Ball universe. FighterZ now is expanding the franchise to the competitive fighting games world, and bringing back this 2D style we didn't see since SNES/Genesis era. It's about getting new things, and not going back and regressing like some people said

I think VegettoEX is gonna pull my ear since this don't really contributes to this topic, but I had to say it. Those people really make me sad

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Ikazvyr wrote:You know, what REALLY makes BT3 the "BEST" for them? Nostalgia? Aside from the roster (that I see more negatively than positive, because there's a lot of characters no one cares and it's very unbalanced), I don't really see their point. BT2 was really better gameplay wise for me, but everyone keeps talking about BT3 everytime and everywhere
There's a lot of Budokai Tenkaichi-like games. When were finally going for something different, they use the same words, wanting BT3 remake or sequel. I really don't understand. I agree those last games weren't that great (Battle of Z, everyone?), but if there's something that is really good is that Bamco is trying to innovate since they brought a long forgotten game exclusive character called Hatchiyack to RB2. They are going for different games, new characters and to expand the Dragon Ball universe. FighterZ now is expanding the franchise to the competitive fighting games world, and bringing back this 2D style we didn't see since SNES/Genesis era. It's about getting new things, and not going back and regressing like some people said

I think VegettoEX is gonna pull my ear since this don't really contributes to this topic, but I had to say it. Those people really make me sad
The Raging Blast series are major improvements on the Tenkaichi formula with the sole exception of not having such an extensive roster. It's the same reason people still consider Budokai 3 the "best" even though Burst Limit, Infinite World and Shin Budokai 2 are vast improvements in every way. It's 100% nostalgia.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Hands on impressions from a fighting game expert (Maximillian Dood):

(Warning: Lots of fighting game terminology is used)
https://youtu.be/_wNW-AUeKqo
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:36 pm

LightBing wrote:Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTF6RSsnBM

It's an interview with the developer. The interesting information about game modes starts at 11:12. She also basically confirmed Future Trunks will be in the game and might make use of his sword.

The gameplay continues to impress, that "DESTRUCTIVE" when Golden Freeza kills a character by hurling against a mountain is awesome. I guess it's this game's own "fatality" mirroring the Mortal Kombat games.
They also sort of confirm that Perfect Cell will be the only playable Cell, and that Majin Buu doesn't transform into Super/Kid Buu.

That 20% comment has me worried they won't make that "early 2018" deadline.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Hands on impressions from a fighting game expert (Maximillian Dood):

(Warning: Lots of fighting game terminology is used)
https://youtu.be/_wNW-AUeKqo
I recommend subscribing to his channel. Max will go in depth on the game mechanics as well as help you master characters.
He was great with the Marvel vs. Capcom series when MvC3 came out.

Hey, VegettoEX! Can I recommend having Max on the podcast when this game is released or when it is time to review it? It would be great to hear someone from inside the fighting game community
break down the pros and cons of the game.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:52 pm

funrush wrote: They also sort of confirm that Perfect Cell will be the only playable Cell, and that Majin Buu doesn't transform into Super/Kid Buu.

I wouldn't worry too much, software development is not done in a linear fashion (feature B will be in the working after feature A) but rather in a non-linear fashion (feature A & feature B are worked simultaneously).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:53 pm

funrush wrote:
LightBing wrote:Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTF6RSsnBM

It's an interview with the developer. The interesting information about game modes starts at 11:12. She also basically confirmed Future Trunks will be in the game and might make use of his sword.

The gameplay continues to impress, that "DESTRUCTIVE" when Golden Freeza kills a character by hurling against a mountain is awesome. I guess it's this game's own "fatality" mirroring the Mortal Kombat games.
They also sort of confirm that Perfect Cell will be the only playable Cell, and that Majin Buu doesn't transform into Super/Kid Buu.

Cell yeah, Boo I'm not so sure. She talked in the context of transformations. Arguably Boo is a completely different character and not a phase. It's like Kid Gohan transforming into Adult Gohan, that's my interpretation.

About the 20% comment, it depends on how they structure it. Maybe they count each game mode as an equal percentage, even thought some are much more work than others? The fighting mechanics and graphics part already looked very polished and I assume - in all my game production ignorance - that it's the bigger chunk of the work.

The upcoming betas all shipped out play testing work, which is a plus. Besides, early 2018 is so vague that they are already covering their back in case of any delays.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Ikazvyr wrote:You know, what REALLY makes BT3 the "BEST" for them? Nostalgia? Aside from the roster (that I see more negatively than positive, because there's a lot of characters no one cares and it's very unbalanced), I don't really see their point. BT2 was really better gameplay wise for me, but everyone keeps talking about BT3 everytime and everywhere

The Raging Blast series are major improvements on the Tenkaichi formula with the sole exception of not having such an extensive roster. It's the same reason people still consider Budokai 3 the "best" even though Burst Limit, Infinite World and Shin Budokai 2 are vast improvements in every way. It's 100% nostalgia.
The only think Raging Blast did better was make the characters have more diversity (mainly due to not having a gazillion useless characters). Combat was dumbed-down and controls were shit.

Burst Limit had the broken ki system who made comboing super unsafe, Infinite World had that annoying fatigue gauge and made nullifiers too predominant, and Shin Budokai had a really unbalanced roster. Not to mention IW and SB had terrible single-player campaigns.

There's definitely a compelling argument for B3 or BT3 being the golden standard for DBZ games outside "nostalgia".
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I recommend subscribing to his channel. Max will go in depth on the game mechanics as well as help you master characters.
He was great with the Marvel vs. Capcom series when MvC3 came out.

Hey, VegettoEX! Can I recommend having Max on the podcast when this game is released or when it is time to review it? It would be great to hear someone from inside the fighting game community
break down the pros and cons of the game.
I second all of this, Max is really good at helping get people started with fighters

Viewtiful Jess
Beyond Newbie

Post by Viewtiful Jess » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:47 pm

This game looks great and already has my money fiemly in its grasp, early 2018 can't come soob enough! I'd personally enjoy Arlia Vegeta alt color.
  • ✪ 2008 - Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
    ✪ 2009 - Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
    ✪ 2010 - Dragon Ball Online / Dragon Ball Heroes
    ✪ 2011 - Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
    ✪ 2015 - Dragon Ball: Xenoverse / Dragon Ball Super
    ✪ 2016 - Dragon Ball: Fusions
Dragon Ball AF is REAL