"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:57 pm

In this kind of game I'm actually more interested about the character roster and gameplay mechanics. For the main dish I was expecting a simple arcade mode.

Since they want to make each character as unique as possible, to help them make SSG Goku different from SSJ Goku they should give him his one inch punch.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:36 am

shadd21 wrote:Oh boy...

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/898330381128146944

Apparently just like GGXrd, FighterZ's story mode will be nothing more but a big OVA using in game graphics :thumbdown:
Major disappointment indeed. Hopefully there will be other intriguing game modes that will make up for it(knowing Arcsys and their past games, they probably will), otherwise I ain't getting it. I feel like current fighting games in general should evolve beyond the basic Arcade, Practice, and Online mode and put more innovation in.
TheGameTagerZ wrote:
And what's the problem with this again?
KorgDTR2000 wrote: ...and?

I'm frankly a little amazed that there's an actual storymode at all.
The reason why some folks are disappointed because we want to feel the experience of the story for ourselves instead of just watching cutscenes for 2-4 hours straight without any action. All they have to do is just set some conditions for the character to win the fight or successfully survive the battle(i.e. timed battle) and then BAM! A complete story mode. Arcsys did it with Blazblue and the earlier Guilty Gear games, so why'd they stop now?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 am

I just don't see the point of any story in a game like this. It's window dressing.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 am

LightBing wrote:Current know stats of the characters:

[spoiler]Future Trunks
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 15

Piccolo
Power - 3
Speed - 2
Reach - 4
Technique - 4
Energy - 3

Total - 16

Kuririn
Power - 2
Speed - 3
Reach - 1
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 14

SSB Goku
Power - 4
Speed - 5
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 18

SSB Vegeta
Power - 5
Speed - 4
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 4

Total - 18

Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 3

Total - 14

Power - 4
Speed - 1
Reach - 4
Technique - 2
Energy - 3

Total - 14[/spoiler]
All character stats should add up to the same if they want it to be competitive and for people not to choose the same characters

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 am

17/18 combo sounds nice. It was what I kinda wanted, but seeing it's a team game I wasn't expecting it, but the fact that they did it is awesome! No need to waste two slots on those guys.
16 does 0 for me. There are cool things he could do in his story, but I am not expecting much of his gameplay, especially if he's a grappler.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
LightBing wrote:Current know stats of the characters:

[spoiler]Future Trunks
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 15

Piccolo
Power - 3
Speed - 2
Reach - 4
Technique - 4
Energy - 3

Total - 16

Kuririn
Power - 2
Speed - 3
Reach - 1
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 14

SSB Goku
Power - 4
Speed - 5
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 18

SSB Vegeta
Power - 5
Speed - 4
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 4

Total - 18

Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 3

Total - 14

Power - 4
Speed - 1
Reach - 4
Technique - 2
Energy - 3

Total - 14[/spoiler]
All character stats should add up to the same if they want it to be competitive and for people not to choose the same characters
Not really, there's always characters stronger and weaker than others in fighting games. Which doesn't necessarily mean the game isn't balanced. The nature of this game 3vs3 makes it so that if you choose only the power-houses, you will definitely lose.

Their strengthens make up for the weakness, they also said weaker characters make up for better assist partners. I wouldn't worry, Arc System is great at balancing their games.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:26 am

I think at this point #17 being de-confirmed for the base roster is a safe bet. Those recording sessions his voice actor said he did can just as well be for the non-playable story mode, not for in-game attacks and shouts. Being part of 18's assist/super move probably means they didn't manage to finish him in time - and probably will be one of the first fighters for DLC.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am

Never really invested in the story mode of Dragon Ball beat em ups, especially for a Dragon Ball game like FighterZ which is aiming specifically to appeal to the competitive fighting community. But it's still nice they threw something in. Even if the premise for the story isn't the most unique or original.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

Eh, I will gadly take this story over the boring, overused Raditz to Buu one. The idea doesn't sound good at all, but execution is what matters after all (look at ma boi Goku Black). Also, 16 being the one revived for some reason intriges me. And anyway, I think we can all agree that people are not going to buy the game just for the single game content. An arcade mode would be awesome trough.

I seriously hope we don't have just 17 characters. Super being represented just by the SSBs would be lame, and so far there is nothing from ODB (Please, let Roshi be in!). Another Buu being added doesn't help either...

The stats look cool. The SSBs are not (or at least doesn't seem to be) really broken, and I like how both of them sound, specially Goku being speed based.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:I just don't see the point of any story in a game like this. It's window dressing.
See: debacle that was Street Fighter V launch. A game that had a "story mode" that was a short three-stage visual novel for each character at launch, only received a convoluted "cinematic" story mode months after launch, and still doesn't have a traditional arcade mode (no, survival mode is not an arcade mode).

As much as I'm all-in on a wonderful baseline fighting game that is first and foremost just an awesome fighting game... that "window dressing" provides incredible value. It's a place to explore new characters and new situations with context. It attracts players looking for more modes to explore. It allows new players to get comfortable with the fighting engine in a situation (a "story mode") familiar to them from other genres and previous franchise entries. Modes that allow new people to get comfortable with the game gotta be more likely to expand their interest and reach beyond that.

And speaking as a old person who no longer has reaction speed and fine motor skills of today's children, sometimes I just wanna fight in a dumb story and zone out with it without the pressure of fighting real people.

This stuff is really important, and is most important at launch.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 am

MisteryOne wrote: And anyway, I think we can all agree that people are not going to buy the game just for the single game content.
Really? Then tell me why did Street Fighter 5 sold horribly compared to 4? You need those modes in to cater to the casuals who aren't interested in fighting online(like me...sometimes), otherwise this series ain't getting any future installments. Again, move past beyond the basic Arcade,Versus, and Online.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am

EXBadguy wrote:
MisteryOne wrote: And anyway, I think we can all agree that people are not going to buy the game just for the single game content.
Really? Then tell me why did Street Fighter 5 sold horribly compared to 4? You need those modes in to cater to the casuals who aren't interested in fighting online(like me...sometimes), otherwise this series ain't getting any future installments. Again, move past beyond the basic Arcade,Versus, and Online.
Street Fighter 5 sold poorly compared to Street Fighter 4 because on the launch day Street Fighter 5 was missing a hell of lot more content compared to Street Fighter 4 than just story mode.

On launch day, here is just some of the content that was missing:
- Arcade Mode
- 1P vs CPU
- CPU vs CPU
- 8 player lobbies
- Challenges
- Trials
- In-game shop
- Alternate costumes (you can earn them but couldn't unlock them until the in-game store came out... in March)

Not to mention there were broken servers at launch and software bugs and initially no penalty system to punish people who rage-quit in Online Matches. And that's not even taking into consideration that the game launched with nearly ten less characters than there were in the launch of Street Fighter 4.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
Street Fighter 5 sold poorly compared to Street Fighter 4 because on the launch day Street Fighter 5 was missing a hell of lot more content compared to Street Fighter 4 than just story mode.

On launch day, here is just some of the content that was missing:
- Arcade Mode
- 1P vs CPU
- CPU vs CPU
- 8 player lobbies
- Challenges
- Trials
- In-game shop
- Alternate costumes (you can earn them but couldn't unlock them until the in-game store came out... in March)

Not to mention there were broken servers at launch and software bugs and initially no penalty system to punish people who rage-quit in Online Matches. And that's not even taking into consideration that the game launched with nearly ten less characters than there were in the launch of Street Fighter 4.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. It ain't just a story mode, it's all the other extra modes to keep a casual player occupied, as I was replying to the other guy who said that people don't care for single player content. And I hear that SFV might have an arcade mode next year, and it's fucked up, cuz it took them ALMOST TWO YEARS for a mode that should've been in at launch.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Missed this amidst all of yesterday's news. It says there'll be a gameplay reveal trailer after the tournament. We never got a trailer for Piccolo and Krillin, but it'd seem pointless to debut a trailer after having them hands on for days prior. Perhaps we'll get to see SSB Goku/Vegeta and/or 16 and 18.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Simere wrote:Missed this amidst all of yesterday's news. It says there'll be a gameplay reveal trailer after the tournament. We never got a trailer for Piccolo and Krillin, but it'd seem pointless to debut a trailer after having them hands on for days prior. Perhaps we'll get to see SSB Goku/Vegeta and/or 16 and 18.
We will probably get something in TGS that takes place in September 21-24.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Don't know if you guys already covered this but the website talks about another version of Buu And Gohan! Hopefully Super Buu and Ultimate Gohan :D

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 pm

I dont mind haveing 16 back and relevent but this whole army of clones dose not sound tooo thrilling but I'll let the games story speak for itself first befor I judge it.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:22 pm

The story mode sounds alright. This game could just have a standard arcade mode and I'd still be okay with it.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:40 am

VegettoEX wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:I just don't see the point of any story in a game like this. It's window dressing.
See: debacle that was Street Fighter V launch. A game that had a "story mode" that was a short three-stage visual novel for each character at launch, only received a convoluted "cinematic" story mode months after launch, and still doesn't have a traditional arcade mode (no, survival mode is not an arcade mode).

As much as I'm all-in on a wonderful baseline fighting game that is first and foremost just an awesome fighting game... that "window dressing" provides incredible value. It's a place to explore new characters and new situations with context. It attracts players looking for more modes to explore. It allows new players to get comfortable with the fighting engine in a situation (a "story mode") familiar to them from other genres and previous franchise entries. Modes that allow new people to get comfortable with the game gotta be more likely to expand their interest and reach beyond that.

And speaking as a old person who no longer has reaction speed and fine motor skills of today's children, sometimes I just wanna fight in a dumb story and zone out with it without the pressure of fighting real people.

This stuff is really important, and is most important at launch.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be single player content, I just don't see a need for a story, specifically. If SFV had an arcade mode it would have been a different story.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:40 am

If it has a story mode then I'd consider getting it. Fighting games that are nothing more than just fighting get boring very quickly.