"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Olympian wrote:Not exciting for these two but good for the fans who wanted them.

How does anyone feel Nappa will play as? We already have a slow big guy with grappling moves in #16 and a slow big "chubby" guy in Buu. Nappa wìll be on the slow burner as well so what will set him apart?

And by the way, isn`t his total 14 by counting from the scans?
I don't recall Nappa being particularly slow

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Really don't understand the complaints about Nappa and Ginyu. They're two unique, classic characters making it into the game. What's not to love about that?

These two bring us up to 17 characters. With three months until launch I think a 24 character roster is most likely (as has been theorized for months now) with seven more characters to go. Two of them are bound to be additional forms of Gohan and Boo which leaves five mystery spots... any ideas?

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
Olympian wrote:Not exciting for these two but good for the fans who wanted them.

How does anyone feel Nappa will play as? We already have a slow big guy with grappling moves in #16 and a slow big "chubby" guy in Buu. Nappa wìll be on the slow burner as well so what will set him apart?

And by the way, isn`t his total 14 by counting from the scans?
I don't recall Nappa being particularly slow
He wiill be, in the game. The bigger guys are all slower than the rest.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Hana Midorikawa

Post by Hana Midorikawa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:Really don't understand the complaints about Nappa and Ginyu. They're two unique, classic characters making it into the game. What's not to love about that?

These two bring us up to 17 characters. With three months until launch I think a 24 character roster is most likely (as has been theorized for months now) with seven more characters to go. Two of them are bound to be additional forms of Gohan and Boo which leaves five mystery spots... any ideas?
I’m hoping if the roster is around 24 slots, that the remaining characters are:

Ultimate Gohan (should’ve been announced already imo)
Beerus (should’ve been announced already imo)
Roshi (iconic to Dragon Ball and has had a resurgence in relevancy in Super)
Gotenks (represents both Goten and Trunks. Also has way more moves at his disposal than both characters combined individually)
Pure Boo (final villain of Dragon Ball)
Hitto (popular, relevant, fan favorite Super character)
Goku Black (popular and acclaimed Super character)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't think Roshi will make it into this one as it's DBZ-centric and he did nothing that series. Maybe as DLC or in a sequel. I think they won't use Goku Black/Zamasu either, I don't see them going into the Super lineup at all.

Beerus and Hit are probably the two most likely Super-era characters. They basically represent the first 3 arcs of Super, along with the Blue forms for Goku/Vegeta. Is Golden Freeza in the game too? If he is that covers it.

I'd wager Radditz or Dabura are more likely for another villain character.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I reeeeally hope that second scan isn't the cover art for the game.
Thankfully not! Here's the cover art:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
https://twitter.com/ShonenGameZ/status/ ... 1710974976
That actually looks really nice. Reminds me of some of the Budokai cover artwork back in the day. SSJ2 Goku doesn't get enough love so I'm glad they're showing him off on the cover.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Is that SSJ2 Goku? Or is his hair just being blown back?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:Is that SSJ2 Goku? Or is his hair just being blown back?
It's kinda hard to tell but I'm just judging it by the lack of usual SSJ1 bangs. For all we know the artist was probably going for SSJ1 but with Goku's hair being blown back.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm

New scans about the story mode:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Eh, story sounds like the typical bad videogame story where just random stuff happens for the sake of it.

I at least hope Android 21's backstory is good, so maybe she can appear in Super at some point.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Story mode sounds reasonable deep. I'm not really interested in it but I'm glad for the people who were worried about there not being much single player material.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 pm

3 vs 2 battle spotted. Probably story mode exclusive.

I'm pleasingly surprised with the story mode. It give us choices, an rpg feel and unique interactions to make people more invested into certain characters.
Now let's see if the writing can stand on it's own. The Freeza and #18 chapters are intriguing based on the descriptions.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm

The story sounds like...nonsense. But delightful nonsense! Like the Yamcha manga but applied to everyone. So I presume each "arc' has a different protagonist with Goku being the main one? The idea of playing as Frieza and teaming with a league of villains sounds great. Add in Budokai 2 map progression, and Fire Emblem bonding mechanics and you've got yourself a silly, yet potentially in-depth story mode.

Also, the fact that they describe Vegeta as a "Tsundere Elite". They know who they're playing to haha

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 pm

Story mode sounds cool enough. Now I'm hoping for a standard arcade mode, tournament mode with local multiplayer and options for 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 matches. Wouldn't it be cool if this game pulled a Tekken and added a bizarre mode like beach volleyball or bowling? :lol:

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:36 am

KayDash wrote:Mr. Satan is fun, and can be purely unique, but if they seriously consider power levels, he is out too. (which also applies to Videl)
They don't. Nappa's power level is a joke, comparing to current stuff.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:00 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I reeeeally hope that second scan isn't the cover art for the game.
Thankfully not! Here's the cover art:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
https://twitter.com/ShonenGameZ/status/ ... 1710974976
That actually looks really nice. Reminds me of some of the Budokai cover artwork back in the day. SSJ2 Goku doesn't get enough love so I'm glad they're showing him off on the cover.
If it is meant to be SS2 Goku then it's bothering me as Goku doesn't have his side bangs!!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am

precita wrote:I don't think Roshi will make it into this one as it's DBZ-centric and he did nothing that series. Maybe as DLC or in a sequel.
I don't know about Roshi but if XV2's DLC is anything to go by then this won't disappoint. XV2 has given us 15 unique characters so we should expect something similar here.
FortuneSSJ wrote:New scans about the story mode:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I didn't care that much about the game when it was announced but now I can't wait for it. Everything looks amazing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AndyAvenue91

Post by AndyAvenue91 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 am

I like that world-map, giving me Buokai 2 vibes and I loved playing through those back in the day!

Story not what I expected, but still sounds fun! Think I am going to cave and pre-order this...
Xbox GT: Andy Avenue
IG: andyavenue91

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 am

Hmmmm Story mode reminds me of the board game style Budokai 2 had.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
KayDash wrote:Mr. Satan is fun, and can be purely unique, but if they seriously consider power levels, he is out too. (which also applies to Videl)
They don't. Nappa's power level is a joke, comparing to current stuff.
Yeah, but Satan's power level is below mid-DB characters, so he is even worse.
They always mentoin power levels though, as a reason for the team battles.