"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:32 am

dario03 wrote: I find it a bit odd they gave everybody the same amount of health. Is that a normal arcsys kind of thing? Seems like it would be an easy way to balance some of the top characters that have everything. Just give them less life. Works pretty good for characters like Akuma in Street Fighter. Make Cell a glass cannon.
It's not normal for them which is the weird thing. Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax have differing character health values and so does BlazBlue (dunno about their other fighting game series)

Guilty Gear Xrd did something odd called the "Guts" stat where damage scaling is differed for each character, which honestly is a more glorified health value system but it still had balance.

FighterZ don't give a crap though lol. I agree with you, Cell should've been a glass canon.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Cell is one of the most OP characters in the game.

As an Adult Gohan player myself I don't mind Adult Gohan to be nerfed because I know how unstoppable he can be, but they would have to do something about Cell.
Fighting against Android 16 where you're treated like a basketball most of the time can be frustrating too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:21 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Cell is one of the most OP characters in the game.

As an Adult Gohan player myself I don't mind Adult Gohan to be nerfed because I know how unstoppable he can be, but they would have to do something about Cell.
Fighting against Android 16 where you're treated like a basketball most of the time can be frustrating too.
Yeah all 3 are very good. I see 16 rated highest pretty often but I tend to lean toward Adult Gohan and Cell a bit more. Goku Black also seems very good. And I always hear that Hit and Kid Buu are very good but I haven't had much issue against them. Of course that could also just be at my level, I'm no expert so things that I have issues with might just be me doing something wrong. Like when is Bardock open? I swear everything he does beats almost everything and hes almost never open. And do you need to guess his highlow/lowhigh mix-up super early or something? Seems like I can go from low block to block half way through a blockstring and still get hit by the spinning overhead. Stuff like that and going high to low has always been a bit of an issue for me. I always figured when trying to do it on reaction it was a lag thing or just not fast enough, but when flat out guessing right early and it still doesn't work I don't know whats up. And it seems especially bad with Bardock.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:45 pm

So I guess this game hype has dropped a bit, eh?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:So I guess this game hype has dropped a bit, eh?
Not really. Its still the #1 game for Evo 2018

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Who here has actually taken time to git gud with Piccolo? I'm trying to make him one of my mains but I can't exactly figure him out.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Who here has actually taken time to git gud with Piccolo? I'm trying to make him one of my mains but I can't exactly figure him out.
I use him quite a bit in party match and such but I'm not confident enough with him to use in rank.

He has really good neutral with his 6S/3S as it's safe, can counter super dashes and can be stacked in the corner. I just mainly use him when I have meter as he has no hard knockdown without meter unless it's in the corner.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Logania wrote:
dario03 wrote: I find it a bit odd they gave everybody the same amount of health. Is that a normal arcsys kind of thing? Seems like it would be an easy way to balance some of the top characters that have everything. Just give them less life. Works pretty good for characters like Akuma in Street Fighter. Make Cell a glass cannon.
It's not normal for them which is the weird thing. Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax have differing character health values and so does BlazBlue (dunno about their other fighting game series)
Guilty Gear Xrd did something odd called the "Guts" stat where damage scaling is differed for each character, which honestly is a more glorified health value system but it still had balance.
FighterZ don't give a crap though lol. I agree with you, Cell should've been a glass canon.
Old Guilty Gear games has the same health value. Guilty Gear XX - 420 HP, Guilty Gear XXAC - 460 HP. But characters have different defense. It means same combo does different damage, depending on guard gauge and character.
And just add. I really like Videl and I want her as playable character in DBFZ. She have enough moves for normals, specials and supers and appeared in various DB games. She can be a grappler that has very good mobility with not so high damage. Something similar to El Fuerte in Street Fighter IV.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 pm

It's been a long time coming but I finally got around to it.

Here it is:

https://dhochoyblog.wordpress.com/2018/ ... -fighterz/

My moveset concept for Caulifla... with Kale.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi there, FighterZ players. I just got the game a few days ago, and figured I'd ask: is Goten available as a lobby character at all? I've been mostly enjoying earning the zeni to try my luck in getting him, if possible. Seeing as it's a lottery though, I think it might just be faster to ask.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Lightdasher wrote:Hi there, FighterZ players. I just got the game a few days ago, and figured I'd ask: is Goten available as a lobby character at all? I've been mostly enjoying earning the zeni to try my luck in getting him, if possible. Seeing as it's a lottery though, I think it might just be faster to ask.
Goten's not available, no, and neither is kid Trunks. Which is kind of odd, now that I think about it. Plenty of other playable characters have other versions of themselves as lobby avatars.

But if it's any consolation, I guess chibified lobby avatar Goku kinda looks like Goten? :P
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:15 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Lightdasher wrote:Hi there, FighterZ players. I just got the game a few days ago, and figured I'd ask: is Goten available as a lobby character at all? I've been mostly enjoying earning the zeni to try my luck in getting him, if possible. Seeing as it's a lottery though, I think it might just be faster to ask.
Goten's not available, no, and neither is kid Trunks. Which is kind of odd, now that I think about it. Plenty of other playable characters have other versions of themselves as lobby avatars.

But if it's any consolation, I guess chibified lobby avatar Goku kinda looks like Goten? :P
Y-Yeah... Close enough, if it's Goku's base form and he's smiling (lots of lobby characters sure look angry). Thanks for the confirmation! I'm gonna' cry in a corner before continuing the combo challenges.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Combo challenges in DBFZ are easy. Easier than in other ArcSys fighting games. And less educative. In Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, I did not finish a lot of combo challenges. They are beyond of my skill. In DBFZ, I finished everything.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:20 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:It's been a long time coming but I finally got around to it.

Here it is:

My moveset concept for Caulifla... with Kale.
I have a feeling Arc will jump straight to Kefla. Which would suck. If we can have 5 Goku's Caulifla with Kale and Kefla shouldn't be too much

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:01 pm

I've been thinking about doing him for a long time as well but he's finally here:

Enjoy...
fadeddreams5 wrote:

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm

kn83 wrote:
This doesn't mean much.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
kn83 wrote:Not really. Its still the #1 game for Evo 2018
This doesn't mean much.
Could you explain?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
kn83 wrote:
This doesn't mean much.
The biggest FGC event of the year that gets aired on worldwide sports networks and a Dragon Ball video game is the game with the most entered competitors and thus the most anticipated game of the event. How does that "not mean much"?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 pm

The ranking system is screwed up:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I won two rounds against that guy and I only earned that much. Considering how big the BP gap is between us, I should have won much more and he lose much more. :roll:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 pm

My God, what is that 'Living Legend' rank? That thing has so much going on in it.