"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:12 am

There are two people in this forum now, people thinking FighterZ is a DB video game and people thinking FighterZ is a DB FGC game. As someone in the later, man these two are amazing additions. Vegeta is a little weak and doesn't seem to bring much, but Goku will be an amazing anchor if the rumours about how his Kaio-Ken get stronger are true, also the Super Genki Dama is said to be the strongest attack in the game. Goku will turn matches around and bring crazy comeback potential. Seriously Base Goku brings some amazing potential to new teams. And those designs man taking me back to my favourite Toriyama art style hell yes!

And for the other viewpoint, yes there are so many other cooler characters that could have been chosen, I won't deny that. But to dismiss these characters simply because they're Goku and Vegeta is stupid. How many times does this need to be clarified, FighterZ is NOT a Dragon Ball video game, it is a competitive fighting game with a Dragon Ball skin. If you care about the roster choices, FighterZ is not for you, plain and simple. If you care about playing around with characters, finding what fits your playstyle and going to competitive battles with them, FighterZ IS for you. I love both Dragon Ball video games and competitive fighting games, but I know if I want to experience a fun Dragon Ball game, I'll go play Xenoverse.

Facts are, every Goku plays completely different in this game, so by FGC standards that's honestly BETTER then most other games with clones. This was unavoidable, SSj Goku is most iconic, Blue is most marketable currently, Base is most popular in Japan and has the most potential for a cool FGC character. And if Goku get's 3, Vegeta must too. I wonder if people would have been MORE mad if Base forms were in the full game and Black and Hit were DLC instead...
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote: FighterZ is NOT a Dragon Ball video game, it is a competitive fighting game with a Dragon Ball skin.
That's such a nonsensical statement it made me go cross-eyed. And this is coming from someone who breathes fighting games.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 am

MajinMan wrote:I’m probably the only person excited for the base forms. When it came to Broly, Bardock, Vegetto, and Zamasu, I did not care at all. None of those characters appeal to me enough to make we want to buy them. If base Goku/Vegeta’s gameplay seems at least decent, I’ll for sure pick them up. I don’t care if they’re the third Goku and Vegeta in the game. That should not be an issue that prevents you from enjoying the gameplay.
There's no guarantee there's going to be a season 2 DLC and there's 3 Gokus 2 Vegetas already along with their fusion. And DLC may not prevent consumers from enjoying the gameplay, but it can convince consumers to move on to other games if they feel alienated. If there's going to be more support for this game, like a season 2, and possibly a season 3 DLC, they should probably cool off on Goku and Vegeta, and imho Saiyans in general.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am

FoolsGil wrote:
MajinMan wrote:I’m probably the only person excited for the base forms. When it came to Broly, Bardock, Vegetto, and Zamasu, I did not care at all. None of those characters appeal to me enough to make we want to buy them. If base Goku/Vegeta’s gameplay seems at least decent, I’ll for sure pick them up. I don’t care if they’re the third Goku and Vegeta in the game. That should not be an issue that prevents you from enjoying the gameplay.
There's no guarantee there's going to be a season 2 DLC and there's 3 Gokus 2 Vegetas already along with their fusion. And DLC may not prevent consumers from enjoying the gameplay, but it can convince consumers to move on to other games if they feel alienated. If there's going to be more support for this game, like a season 2, and possibly a season 3 DLC, they should probably cool off on Goku and Vegeta, and imho Saiyans in general.
SFV is doing a lot less better, then they expected, and yet, it’s still getting a 3rd season right now. Or how about Xenoverse 2. Definitely less sales then FighterZ, and yet they are still supporting it.
DBFZ sold more then last Mortal Kombat, there are basically no fighting game above it in sales, if there won’t be a season 2 or an update next year, I’m willing to print this post on paper and eating it.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am

FighterZ doesn't have more sales than Xenoverse 2, not yet at least. Also pretty sure Mortal Kombat is a juggernaut in terms of sales, MKX has at least 3.5 times the sales of FighterZ in steam.
Last figures for Tekken 7 were at 2.5M the same as FighterZ so even if the latter is ahead it shouldn't be by that much.

FighterZ sold crazy good but it didn't break any records. It won't even be the best selling fighting game of the year because of Smash Ultimate.

I agree that we are very likely to get a Season 2 but I just wanted to clear this up.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am

KayDash wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
SFV is doing a lot less better, then they expected, and yet, it’s still getting a 3rd season right now. Or how about Xenoverse 2. Definitely less sales then FighterZ, and yet they are still supporting it.
DBFZ sold more then last Mortal Kombat, there are basically no fighting game above it in sales, if there won’t be a season 2 or an update next year, I’m willing to print this post on paper and eating it.
If people stop playing a game, it doesn't matter how many sales it has. The company isn't going to bother making DLC if it comes out at cost. Now, if you're using SFV and Xenoverse 2 to say despite all the crap people still stuck with them, and they got their DLCs beyond Season 1, then sure, I could be wrong about people playing Fighterz not sticking through endless Goku/Vegeta/Saiyan Releases. But otherwise, no, initial sales don't mean anything if no one cares to play. Shoot, S1 DLC could be cancelled if enough people threw in the towel after launch.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am

You are right, I was wrong about it. I looked up some games just out of curiosity, pretty interesting:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 13.27 million
Tekken 3: 8.5 million
Dragon Ball Xenoverse: 5 million
Tekken 6: 3.5 million
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2: 3.4 million
Street Fighter IV (vanilla version): : 3.4 million
Tekken 7: 2.8 million
Dragon Ball FighterZ: 2.5 million
Street Fighter V: below 2.5 million

Never thought that Tekken 7 is above SFV, wow.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 pm

LightBing wrote:FighterZ doesn't have more sales than Xenoverse 2, not yet at least. Also pretty sure Mortal Kombat is a juggernaut in terms of sales, MKX has at least 3.5 times the sales of FighterZ in steam.
Last figures for Tekken 7 were at 2.5M the same as FighterZ so even if the latter is ahead it shouldn't be by that much.

FighterZ sold crazy good but it didn't break any records. It won't even be the best selling fighting game of the year because of Smash Ultimate.

I agree that we are very likely to get a Season 2 but I just wanted to clear this up.
It actually did break a record. It had the biggest digital launch of any fighting game.

Mortal Kombat X might have 3.5x the sales but it's been out for three years. We'll see where FighterZ is at that time.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 pm

KayDash wrote: Never thought that Tekken 7 is above SFV, wow.
That's what happens when you appeal only to the eSports crowd. Besides, Tekken was always bigger than SF.

Anyways, Just got this one done today:

https://youtu.be/ovUgyjMxTyg (Kid Goku)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

dario03 wrote:Now we can finally have team Vegeta to counter team Goku. The only question is will the team Goku users switch Hot Topic out for original???
Jord wrote:They look awesome to me. Looking forward to them. Wonder how many dramatic finishes there will be? There are a lot of possibilities.

Goku x Nappa
Goku x Vegeta
Vegeta x Nappa
Goku x Frieza
Goku x Ginyu
Frieza x Vegeta

That's not even counting what-if finishes.
I wonder if they will give Nappa a what if against base Vegeta.
That would be awesome, as would a what if where Vegeta beats Goku and actually blows up the earth.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Bullza wrote:Them playing all differently doesn't mean diddly squat.

They could have 20 different versions of Goku ranging from him as a Kid to Super Saiyan 4 Goku and they'd all play differently. Nobody would want that though would they? If the next two DLC characters were Super Saiyan God Goku and Turles...that's ok because they'll still play differently?

They could have had other characters who would have played differently as well and not just been another version of Goku so to have some visual variety like Dabura or Toppo or Janemba.

Now we're going to have Base Goku, Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Goku who all look the exact same except for the hair colour. Bardock is Base Goku except with a different costume. Vegito is Super Saiyan Blue Goku with a different costume.
There is a difference between 3 iterations of Goku vs 20.

There is a difference between 20 iterations of the same character VS iconic and unique characters that have left a mark on the franchise and play nothing alike - aka Goku Black, Vegito, Bardock.

They are not "Goku clones" by any stretch of the imagination.

Your whole post history in this thread has been nothing but uninformed bashing of the game despite it being the best Dragonball Z game to come out in decades, if not ever. Just what is your motive here?

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 pm

There has literally been 0 Goku and Vegeta DLC until this point. Where is this “endless Goku/Vegeta DLC” coming from? If Vegetto is a Goku clone, then Zamasu is also a Goku clone because Goku Black is apparently a Goku clone. I guess Bardock is also a Goku clone too, he is his dad after all. Broly was born next to Goku, so he’s pretty much the same guy to be honest. Can’t believe they released 4 Goku clones and are now releasing another clone.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 am

MajinMan wrote:There has literally been 0 Goku and Vegeta DLC until this point. Where is this “endless Goku/Vegeta DLC” coming from?
The rooster has 6 characters that are just Goku and Vegeta:

SSJ Goku
SSJ Vegeta
SSJB Goku
SSJB Vegeta
Saiyan arc Goku
Saiyan arc Vegeta

If you don't think that sucks, then it's on you
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:There is a difference between 3 iterations of Goku vs 20.

There is a difference between 20 iterations of the same character VS iconic and unique characters that have left a mark on the franchise and play nothing alike - aka Goku Black, Vegito, Bardock.
It doesn't matter if they play nothing alike. Base Goku won't play anything like Super Saiyan Blue Goku but it doesn't matter, it's still yet another version of Goku in the game. As I said they could have Turles and he'd play differently but he'd still be another Goku. Ultra Instinct Goku has a chance of being added eventually who will play differently, still another Goku.

There's been six DLC characters and five of them are Saiyans.

Theres other characters with unique appearances and abilities who could have been added first. Why not Master Roshi? Jiren? Janemba? Omega Shenron? Toppo? Dr Gero? Dabura? Bojack?

No instead we got another version​ of Goku this time with black hair.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:24 am

Bullza wrote:
It doesn't matter if they play nothing alike.
Actually it matters a lot, since most of all it's a fighting game, not a fanservice app.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:08 am

I'm starting to mellow on the base forms. Yahtzee once said fighting games are a celebration of characters. Animations, costumes, interactions, finishers, all that stuff goes toward making a complete package. Goku and Vegeta are the most defined and fleshed out characters in Dragon Ball, it stands to reason that they get special treatment and multiple forms to represent different versions of them. Hell, despite all the complaints there are still plenty of people arguing for SS4/Ultra Instinct/Gogeta/Majin/Kid/Blue Evolution if they're dumb. ArcSys have done a good job so far of making the different versions unique (Goku moreso than Vegeta if I'm honest), they can be trusted not to half-ass the alternate versions too much.

That said, it's understandable why people are upset. Variety and aesthetic are important, and having so many versions of these characters looks bad, especially for paid DLC. I'd say it's a problem of this entire first season. It just feels like the characters they wanted to be in the base game but ran out of time for. We've got obligatory spin-off boys, fused boys, base boys and less popular brothers of more iconic characters. At least that was the idea; they probably would've done things differently if they knew Android 17 was going to explode right around the time the game launched. Pairing him up with Cooler now feels like putting Robert Downey Jnr on stage with a D-list sitcom actor.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 am

mute_proxy wrote:Actually it matters a lot, since most of all it's a fighting game, not a fanservice app.
That must explain why out of all the possible Movie characters to choose from they went with Broly and Bardock because that had nothing to do with fan service at all.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:52 am

It seems some of the realities of development have been forgotten. Sitting there expecting Jiren or Toppo every new release? We all know DLC gets planned and production started long before release; ToP characters were never going to happen this season given the timing. It's much harder to develop a completely new character than working with an existing base; in lieu of SSB Vegeta we would not have gotten a character like Janemba or Omega Shenron, we would have gotten nothing. And maybe that's what you want, because you care more about oppressing saiyans than gameplay, but don't act as if they came at the cost of a "better" character.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 am

Simere wrote:It seems some of the realities of development have been forgotten. Sitting there expecting Jiren or Toppo every new release? We all know DLC gets planned and production started long before release; ToP characters were never going to happen this season given the timing. It's much harder to develop a completely new character than working with an existing base; in lieu of SSB Vegeta we would not have gotten a character like Janemba or Omega Shenron, we would have gotten nothing. And maybe that's what you want, because you care more about oppressing saiyans than gameplay, but don't act as if they came at the cost of a "better" character.
This is what I’m always saying. They were probably able to get the 8 chars DLC approved by Bandai instead of a regular 6 chars, because they were able to reduce the costs (and development time) with the two “clones”. Or maybe not, but I wouldn’t be suprised.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:27 am

Why should we as an audience care about the costs and if the company saved money by recycling models? The company works for us, we are paying them don't make up excuses for them.

Not to say I agree with Bullza, only in regards to the part where's there's too many Goku look-alikes. Even if they play differently they still have Goku's face and it's an exaggeration as it currently stands. This is negative for newcomers who think Goku is Dragon Ball, it creates exhaustion by watching the same characters, etc.
I don't believe the new Base Saiyans break the camels back in this regards but I expect them and want them to stop here.

The Base Saiyans should be in the main game, I blame the Blue versions and marketing for this whole situation.
ArcSys was probably preparing the Base Saiyans and SSJ Saiyans to be in the game, then comes an executive from Bandai: "Where's blue? That's what they use in the anime, we need them in the game now!" So they stopped work on the Base Saiyans and put together disappointing Blue versions who have the models, share a bunch of normals and even some animations.

I expect the Base Saiyans to be incredibly detailed and to share nothing with the other versions, if they do I'll get really mad.

Finally like I said before, if you're unhappy vote with your wallet that the only thing companies care about. Complaining on the internet and still buying the characters won't get you anywhere.