"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KayDash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 am

I wonder if they will go as far as adding Gamma Burst Flash to Blue Vegeta from the manga. I have no idea how else will they make him different enough from SSJ Vegeta, other than the stat differences (speed, hp, etc.) like how Ryu/Ken was in SF2. I'd say SSB Goku/Vegeta are wasted character slots, but that's probably not true, because they likely saved resources on adding two more new characters with much less work then the others.
Android 18 with 17's support sounds fine to me, after all they are based on their android saga designs, and at that time they fought as a team a couple of times.
16 as a grappler also sounds fine.
I'm also fine with adult Gohan, he has a diffent body size and design compared to teen Gohan, and some different attacks it's not really a duplicate. Same applies to Buu, both Kid/Super Buu is even a seperete being from Fat Buu, and his attacks are a lot different.
The story mode is also okay, I didn't even expected that in a fighting game like this, and I'm happy it's not just the classic DBZ story again.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:46 am

I know I'm a little late to comment on the news about the story mode for this game, but I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I'm all for getting an original story, which is something that the Xenoverse games only partially tackled. On the other hand, making #16 the center of the story seems kind of random, and I'm afraid that the story we get will be so hollow that it might as well not even exist.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Perhaps the mysterious army that looks like Goku and company are new androids

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:04 pm

KayDash wrote:I wonder if they will go as far as adding Gamma Burst Flash to Blue Vegeta from the manga. I have no idea how else will they make him different enough from SSJ Vegeta, other than the stat differences (speed, hp, etc.) like how Ryu/Ken was in SF2. I'd say SSB Goku/Vegeta are wasted character slots, but that's probably not true, because they likely saved resources on adding two more new characters with much less work then the others.
Since the anime still didn't give him a new technique, take that from the manga would be wise. He can also have Galick Gun which is something that Super Vegeta doesn't use.
In the scan looks like he's doing that attack he did to Black in their second round 2:00 .They can take something from his beatdown to Golden Freeza too.

As for SSB Goku besides the obvious already confirmed SSB+Kaioken kamehameha, they could give him his one inch punch and maybe the backhand punch he did to Zamasu, even though that one had to be slightly changed to make it effective in game. With the amount of times Goku is using SSB one would think they have a lot of data to make it unique enough. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Making Blue Goku and Vegeta probably wasn't hard for them considering they use the same model as their SSJ counterpart and also probably share some animations. I think it's not too hard for them to create new animations, while creating new models is very time consuming.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:08 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:In the scan looks like he's doing that attack he did to Black in their second round 2:00 .They can take something from his beatdown to Golden Freeza too.
Hmm, good point! They could also take that move from the Hit fight, when he takes a punch (or whatever attack the opponent does) to counter it with a stronger punch. It could work like those armored moves in MvC or SF5.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Really bummed out that we're already getting re-used character models as new characters. It's too early to be taking the wind out of my hype-sails, Arc Systems.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:19 am

I only have to say this:

If there is a new story involving new androids or android versions of the Z Fighters - which makes perfect sense considering the roster - it will be unbelievably stupid not to include the old man that built them.

I mean, ffs, he and his chubby pal can be amazingly fun and unique to play, if done right.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:23 am

Wow, what a bummer about the story :(
My next con for the game besides it being 3 vs 3 only.

I would be all for some story like a tournament, in this kind of game if they won't go by original villain route, like with Hatchihyakku, which was cool.
But I am really not a fan of these Shin Budokai story modes. Hey, we have these characters from Buu arc + Freeza, Cell and some Cell arc characters, because SSJ2 Teen Gohan is probably more popular then nerd soon to lose Buu arc Gohan, let's retread the Buu arc with all the characters in the game.
So, we have one character in the small roster being Android 16, who fought probably less or on par in appearance to Chiaotzu in the whole series and was destroyed never to be seen again
and he's the main villain with army of swap colours... sounds really underwhelming. Let's see, maybe the writing will be good, but probably not, because the original stories that aren't from Raditz to Buu are shit in DB games.
Except for! Supersonic Warriors on GBA!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:47 am

Nickolaidas wrote:I only have to say this:

If there is a new story involving new androids or android versions of the Z Fighters - which makes perfect sense considering the roster - it will be unbelievably stupid not to include the old man that built them.

I mean, ffs, he and his chubby pal can be amazingly fun and unique to play, if done right.
Gero could appear as an unplayable boss
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:10 am

Nickolaidas wrote:I only have to say this:

Agreed. How great would it be if Dr.Gero's assist was absorbing energy attacks with a well timed click of a button. The character itself would revolve around the draining mechanic, something which is fairly uncommon in Dragon Ball.

There's so much diversity in Dragon Ball, that's why I'm disappointed that the last two revealed characters are Goku and Vegeta on Blue steroids.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:42 am

If a DB story isn't framed from Toriyama then it doesn't matter to me whether it's good or bad. The only alternate takes on Dragon Ball that I'm interested in are my own.
LightBing wrote:There's so much diversity in Dragon Ball, that's why I'm disappointed that the last two revealed characters are Goku and Vegeta on Blue steroids.
But what's the point of being disappointed at SSB's inclusion when it didn't come at the cost of a new character, like Gero, getting in? Technically, 16 and 18 were the last two characters revealed to us, and they're the ones who came at the expense of another character.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 am

MCDaveG wrote:original stories that aren't from Raditz to Buu are shit in DB games.
Good news for you, then. Supersonic Warriors was made by the same people who make FighterZ.

And I love its story mode too. The individual character arcs, the victory banter ... everything was awesomesauce.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:37 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:original stories that aren't from Raditz to Buu are shit in DB games.
Good news for you, then. Supersonic Warriors was made by the same people who make FighterZ.

And I love its story mode too. The individual character arcs, the victory banter ... everything was awesomesauce.
Yeah I know, it is just that I wasn't impressed by any other stories since. And most of those were by Dimps, Shin Budokai 1 and 2, Xenoverse 1 and 2...
I am now playing it safe, won't preorder and will wait for some gameplay and reviews :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am

Simere wrote:But what's the point of being disappointed at SSB's inclusion when it didn't come at the cost of a new character, like Gero, getting in? Technically, 16 and 18 were the last two characters revealed to us, and they're the ones who came at the expense of another character.
Same reason people don't feel great about clones being so prominent in Smash; it dilutes the roster. It comes down to preference, I personally prefer a smaller, more diverse looking and feeling roster.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Rory wrote:
Simere wrote:But what's the point of being disappointed at SSB's inclusion when it didn't come at the cost of a new character, like Gero, getting in? Technically, 16 and 18 were the last two characters revealed to us, and they're the ones who came at the expense of another character.
Same reason people don't feel great about clones being so prominent in Smash; it dilutes the roster. It comes down to preference, I personally prefer a smaller, more diverse looking and feeling roster.
But that has nothing to do with being upset that we didn't get a more unique character, though. The work they put into creating SSB was not equivalent to the work of producing a unique character, so there's no reason to bring it up in relation to the disappointment of not having a unique character. Not saying you can't dislike it for other reasons, but that's the one I'm asking about.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Even if they only took them 1/4 of the time it would take to make a character from scratch, that's still time. But worst and what truly bothers me is that it shows a tendency to play safe and cater to casual fans.

There's absolutely no need to have the Blue Saiyans at release. Blue Goku after a while it's fair, you need Vegeta(at this point) and he's my favourite character. He's gotten no new attacks in Super with the exception of Gamma Burst in the manga. His Final Flash attack they gave him in the game is made up, that's not the direction they should follow, forcing new material in.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm

LightBing wrote: Even if they only took them 1/4 of the time it would take to make a character from scratch, that's still time. But worst and what truly bothers me is that it shows a tendency to play safe and cater to casual fans.

There's absolutely no need to have the Blue Saiyans at release. Blue Goku after a while it's fair, you need Vegeta(at this point) and he's my favourite character. He's gotten no new attacks in Super with the exception of Gamma Burst in the manga. His Final Flash attack they gave him in the game is made up, that's not the direction they should follow, forcing new material in.
Which is no different than playing safe and catering to the hardcore fans.

How exactly are they forcing new material in?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
LightBing wrote: Even if they only took them 1/4 of the time it would take to make a character from scratch, that's still time. But worst and what truly bothers me is that it shows a tendency to play safe and cater to casual fans.

Which is no different than playing safe and catering to the hardcore fans.

How exactly are they forcing new material in?
I say it's different. Hardcore fans will buy the game regardless if SSB Goku is in game from the start or later from a dlc. By having less diversity, they are arguably making a worse game.

They are forcing new material in because Blue Vegeta isn't unique enough to be made into a character. It goes against the game appeal, where most if not all movements from the characters are references from the manga. With Vegeta they already broke the tendency by making up an special attack.

The game already has gathered enough hype that casuals will give it a shot immediately or later if they are advised that the game is good and will continue to provide content(new characters/stages).

They should increase the game's longevity with casual fans by having the diversity mentioned, being a simple and hard game at the same time (like they have been advertising) and with excellent features likes the 3 vs 3 in real time playing with friends.
I'm surprised nobody is talking about this feature, that's the perfect party feature. You can have 6 six people playing at the same time, creating narratives and being entertained; it adds immense value to the game.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Being hardcore about both fighting games and DB lore, SSB Goku's inclusion is a huge relief. I don't want to be stuck in the past that is Z; SS Goku feels old and weak to look at. And from a gameplay diversity perspective, you're underselling how big a difference it will make—or could, anyway. If that translation about him having a command grab is true, then just that alone would be plenty different. And it won't be just that.