"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 pm

jcogginsa wrote:Not gonna lie, I think it's a bit silly to have Goku turn SSJ3 for a Kamehameha Ult. If he's gonna be SSJ3, use Dragonfist XD
I don't think its set like that, there was one gameplay video from an interview that shown him doing the same ultimate as an SS1 as well. But yes, Dragonfist needs to be in the game, preferably as his SS3 Ult.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Well... fighting games in general are pretty niche so naturally a game like FighterZ would alienate a subset of the DB fandom. Even Budokai isn't completely safe from this over since Tenkaichi came out.
I see it more as just ignorance from casuals and BT3 fanboys that are spoiled by huge rosters saying this, while not in the know that Namco-Bandai isn't going to make BT4 or RB3 because (1. BT was published by Atari, and Spike left Namco after their poor track record after BT3) and (2. Raging Blast sold poorly, so it doesn't make financial sense to retreat that. They wanted to make Ultimate Tenkaichi because of the people complaining about RB2 not being as good as BT3 - even though people were complaining about BT3 being too hard, so they had to dumb down the mechanics (Namco told me this on FB) but then Spike screwed it up, because those same people demanded for QTE mechanics (When Ninja Storm was popular) and ruined the gameplay claiming thats what they wanted. Now we're back to square one with that side of the fandom. People want to exhaust the hype of BT3 with the same demands for the same type of game every year. Thats the problem with casuals.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TL18
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by TL18 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:Not gonna lie, I think it's a bit silly to have Goku turn SSJ3 for a Kamehameha Ult. If he's gonna be SSJ3, use Dragonfist XD
I don't think its set like that, there was one gameplay video from an interview that shown him doing the same ultimate as an SS1 as well. But yes, Dragonfist needs to be in the game, preferably as his SS3 Ult.
I'll probably be in the minority, but I wanna save Dragon Fist for SS4 Ult. No real reason other than I think it'll look cool in these graphics.

Damn, I gotta stop talking about SS4

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm

E3 already ended. I loved what I saw but here's the list of things that I would like to see improved:

- Use official outfits as alternate costumes for characters like Goku/Vegeta/Gohan since they have it, instead of having random color scheme versions of the main one (I mentioned this one before).

- 1 vs 1 option. 3 vs 3 is cool, but I don't want to be restricted to that and I'm not feeling i'm asking for too much here.

- Variety in characters introduction clashes. It's always the same one and I would like to have different ones. Like the classic of both characters punching each other in the face; one rushes to kick and other one blocks...Three different ones are more than enough. Just one feels repetitive.

So far that's it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 pm

What on-line functionalities can we expect? A tournament mode would be awesome.

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Look at the awards, it's surreal.
Fascinating.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:20 pm

TL18 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
I'll probably be in the minority, but I wanna save Dragon Fist for SS4 Ult. No real reason other than I think it'll look cool in these graphics.

Damn, I gotta stop talking about SS4
Well, that is if SS4 is in the game. Granted I do like GT's dragonfist animations a lot better than SS3 Goku's. Especially the one he used on Eis Shenron from his BT3 Ult. That would look incredible if ArcSystem did it.
FortuneSSJ wrote: - 1 vs 1 option. 3 vs 3 is cool, but I don't want to be restricted to that and I'm not feeling i'm asking for too much here.

Then there is the 1v1 Option. I think its needed for various reasons. My core reason is just for match up flexibility, as 3v3 constantly will get boring and repetitive at some point. Also, 1v1 would help users focus on one character to master at a time directly, as opposed of trying to do 3 at once. Then there's the learning curb that I think having 1v1 would give to people not used to this playing format. People should be able to get used to the engine before they can play it at its fullest extent. And a skilled player that can pull off a 1v3 victory would impress more people than just everything 3v3. So I want to be able to select 1v1 minimum, or 2v2, and 1v2, 1v3 just for the skill testing. But at the least I want a 1v1 option.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:08 pm

LightBing wrote:What on-line functionalities can we expect? A tournament mode would be awesome.
I expect player vs. player casual/normal matches, ranked matches and online challenges in arcade mode. Very common things. I don't expect any innovation, but new modes are welcome

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 pm

I don't remember a DBZ game winning awards or being nominated like this well ever, honestly they have a potential masterpiece on their hands and with it only being 20% done according to some articles I can see the greatness on the horizon. This game is a chance to have characters like Tien and Piccolo shine and give some characters that people usually don't use in games life. I think 40 characters max is a good list and maybe do DLC or a sequel depending the final product. Kudos to the team though on the great E3 success.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:25 am

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:Look at the awards, it's surreal.
Fascinating.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh my god, there's barely enough room for nominations and awards to be stuck on. :lol: That is incredible. I don't think anyone was expecting this at all. Kudos to everyone working on this at Arc System Works. :clap:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Oh my god, there's barely enough room for nominations and awards to be stuck on. :lol:
The only reason why it didn't get more awards it's because they would cover the screen and people wanted to play.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 am

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:Look at the awards, it's surreal.
Fascinating.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That is unreal. And to think that the game is only 20% finished. :clap:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:02 pm

We should be getting new characters leaked soon, right? V-Jump leaks are coming already. Give me some Piccolo, please. He has a chance of a very interesting play style.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Here's the V-Jump page about this game. Nothing that we didn't already know.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Hopefully they add some battle damage but i know that super sonic warriors and budokai series had little to no in-battle battle damage :(
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Loving what I have been seeing so far. So Future Trunks confirmed, no surprises there honestly. They are only at 20% yet it looks so awesome...

I think this is the first time since BoG that I am legimately hyped for this franchise thanks for this game and Super's manga. Finally DB has actually been reborn for me.
dariend777 wrote:Hopefully they add some battle damage but i know that super sonic warriors and budokai series had little to no in-battle battle damage :(
I can actually undestand why they would not include that. It would be a ton of work and I don't think it's really important, at least IMO
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Xrd--particularly Revelator and onward--has some battle damage like scratches, dirt, and scuffs on their clothes and faces after a long match. One of the characters, Ky, has his hair down from a ponytail after getting hit too many times. When that happens, the music changes to his original theme song.
That's as far as battle damage goes in Guilty Gear. It will take a lot of work to alter their costumes after a match, in which case they're better off making a new character.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Nothing new in V-Jump that's disappointing. Oh well, there's always next month. Maybe they are waiting for a semi-big reveal when they announce the specific date of the beta.

cringey

Post by cringey » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:30 pm

That V Jump scan, man.. I feel robbed.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:50 pm

THEGOKU wrote:I don't remember a DBZ game winning awards or being nominated like this well ever, honestly they have a potential masterpiece on their hands and with it only being 20% done according to some articles I can see the greatness on the horizon. This game is a chance to have characters like Tien and Piccolo shine and give some characters that people usually don't use in games life. I think 40 characters max is a good list and maybe do DLC or a sequel depending the final product. Kudos to the team though on the great E3 success.
Budokai 3 was nominated for Best Fighting Game by Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (but lost to Mortal Kombat: Deception) as well as Best Licensed Video Game and Most Improved Sequel by GameSpot.

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 won Fighting Game of the Year by X-Play and came 2nd place with IGN.

Burst Limit was a top-rated title for Playstation 3 and was nominated for a Spike Video Game Award as Best Fighting Game of the Year.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:18 pm

No new char reveal? That's ... well, that was disappointing.