"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:19 am

Just got this done in the morning. A moveset concept for Gogeta:

https://dhochoyblog.wordpress.com/2018/ ... -fighterz/
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Alright, finally gonna put this game on. Let's see what all the fuss is about.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri May 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Yo, yo. As I figured out last night fighting against people in Player Matches, I have come to the realization that I suck now lol

Who here plays FighterZ on PS4 that is commited to the game? Anyone wanna be my sparring buddy to get me back into this game?
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Well I played it a few hours, I think I like it. I'll have to get used to it a bit though.

I'm amazed by how good the whole looks. The only thing I don't like it that in the cutscenes I have to constantly press Z every time they say a sentence. Why can't the cutscene just unfold naturally? Why do I have to keep pressing X so they'll say the next one line.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 05, 2018 4:16 am

Ok so now I'm starting to see the flaws more.

I'm in the story mode, I'm up to chapter 5 and I'm still getting battle tutorials? The same battle tutorials that I've already done in other fights. There was a completely separate mode to actually do these battle tutorials so why is it in the story and for this long?

But the main problem is the difficulty....it's possible easy. I'm hardly even taking any damage. I had Goku at lvl 3 and fought Kid Buu at lvl 13 and it was still easy.

I don't think any fight has even taken my health bar down to half for just one character yet.

The AI is awful, they just stand for a few seconds at a time not doing diddly squat. I can win matches just by closing by eyes and mashing triangle over and over.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat May 05, 2018 4:29 am

Yeah, story mode is garbage honestly.

I'm so glad that they offered Android 21 as an early unlock if you bought the FighterZ pass early.

But hey, Story mode is an easy way to get a lot of Zeni quick to buy colors at the shop!
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 am

Bullza wrote:Ok so now I'm starting to see the flaws more.

I'm in the story mode, I'm up to chapter 5 and I'm still getting battle tutorials? The same battle tutorials that I've already done in other fights. There was a completely separate mode to actually do these battle tutorials so why is it in the story and for this long?

But the main problem is the difficulty....it's possible easy. I'm hardly even taking any damage. I had Goku at lvl 3 and fought Kid Buu at lvl 13 and it was still easy.

I don't think any fight has even taken my health bar down to half for just one character yet.

The AI is awful, they just stand for a few seconds at a time not doing diddly squat. I can win matches just by closing by eyes and mashing triangle over and over.
Having to press X to keep going is an unusual choice but it allows the viewer to go at his own rhythm, accelerating or slowing down the pace as he see fits. According to a poll I made, it is surprisingly the prefered choice over classic cutscenes. I myself would have prefered classic "passive" cutscenes but I don't mind it that much, it's just that much like in Xenoverse, I sometimes push X thinking the current line/animation was over when it was actually not, which makes it "skip" to the end of the animation and makes it choppy-like on rare occasions.

The tutorials will stop once you've completed the first arc (1/3 of the story mode).
The arcs will also improve a lot on the interesting side, polls and comments reveal that people like the second one more than the first one, and the third one is clearly deemed the best and most fascinating to go through.

The difficulty will increase as you go on through the arcs and the new difficulty settings. You'll likely end up losing characters before being able to clear a map, and you might also sometimes simply have all your characters defeated and start over the whole chapter.
The only way around getting through the increased difficulty, for me, was to ultimately put all the constant regeneration ability on every ability slot.
The poll shows that people are satisfied with the challenge offered in Hard mode. Keep in mind that Arc 1 is clearly here to make you learn for hours, with tutorials and opponents acting like standing punching bags. You're here to just practice against slowpokes that will basically let you try everything you want to try. Things will pick up later regarding their reactivity and simple enemies will sometimes destroy some of your 60+ teams.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Cold Skin wrote: The tutorials will stop once you've completed the first arc (1/3 of the story mode).
The arcs will also improve a lot on the interesting side, polls and comments reveal that people like the second one more than the first one, and the third one is clearly deemed the best and most fascinating to go through.
I must be one of the few who finds the third part of the story the most horrible one. Unless you've got a raging hard-on for #21, it is a slog to see and fight through. An absolute slog. Not to mention the fact that most of it is played with the same damn two characters!

The second one was the best, imo. It had unique and funny interactions that bordered on fan fiction and fan service but were immensely satisfying. And the team you'd build was absolutely huge.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't know about hard difficulty but since you have to start on normal I will say that the first play through is just easy. I mostly ran the xp and zeni boost items and I'm pretty sure I never lost a match even though I only knew the basics and basically just mashed through it. I would suggest to not just go in and mash though because it will teach you some bad habbits, like Super Dash works really well at almost all times vs the normal story ai but then you go online and get 2h to oblivion if you try it. Just treat the story like a way to confirm into combos and practice doing them. Like a training mode that rewards you with a new character at the end.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 05, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm not sure why that method of cutscene would be preferable. A couple times I've gone to press X just as they've started on the next bit and skipped it over by accident.

Good news about the difficulty but it better ramp up soon because I'm already about 20% in.

I also read you u lock a hard difficulty after beating the game once? Seems pointless because once I've gone through it I won't be all that interested to do it a second time.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat May 05, 2018 8:46 pm

KayDash wrote: If we are really going deep into "who did it first", then gotta mentoin:
https://youtu.be/niZDqSwmxBc?t=815
Which was probably the base idea for Captain Commando's team attack, because they somewhat function like a sentai hero team.
Isn't that Gaoranger? They didn't debut until years after MvC.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:18 pm

I made another moveset for the other rumored base form character (Vegeta)... with all the brutality and monkeying around:

https://dhochoyblog.wordpress.com/2018/ ... -fighterz/
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 am

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/statu ... 6489953281

The changes are coming in two days! Probably just a first batch since there's a lot missing from what they told us about, I expect the rest to come with Vegetto and Merged Zamasu.

RIP #16.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Bullza wrote:Alright, finally gonna put this game on. Let's see what all the fuss is about.
It's kinda meh, good gameplay but poor story mode, not a hardcore fan of fighting games, so the online mode for me was not that big deal.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 pm

What a terrible patch. Instead of actually buffing characters that need it, they are just changing the order of tiers for the already best characters in the game. Why the hell did Cell get a buff?? He's already in the top 5 best characters of the game.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon May 07, 2018 7:57 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:It's kinda meh, good gameplay but poor story mode, not a hardcore fan of fighting games, so the online mode for me was not that big deal.
I'm not really a big fighting game fan either. The only series I genuinely like is Tekken. Having played Tekken 7 recently I can say it's definitely better than FighterZ.

I do like its gameplay. Haven't got far into the story yet though. Still too easy which is a shame but I like it.

I don't think it's as good as Xenoverse 2 overall when you consider how much more that game offered.

If Xenoverse 3 had FighterZ fighting gameplay and graphics then that would be what I'd want.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Bullza wrote:how much more that game offered.
The thing is, none of that "content" in Xenoverse 2 is of remote interest to me (or, quite honestly, any fun at all).

The story mode in FighterZ is a huge disappointment and its entire structure is a massive oversight on behalf of the production team, but that doesn't really take anything away from the underlying fighting game itself which is what I'm here for, and that delivers what I want in spades.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Bullza wrote:The only series I genuinely like is Tekken. Having played Tekken 7 recently I can say it's definitely better than FighterZ.
Indeed it is. It's actually my first legit experience with Tekken besides little bits of Tekken 3. I just wish the DLC was a handled a bit better, it has been quite lackluster for me.

Just waiting for that Soul Calibur.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue May 08, 2018 12:28 am

Logania wrote:Why the hell did Cell get a buff?? He's already in the top 5 best characters of the game.
Buff? Fixing a single glitch is not a buff

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 08, 2018 12:51 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Logania wrote:Why the hell did Cell get a buff?? He's already in the top 5 best characters of the game.
Buff? Fixing a single glitch is not a buff
It would go behind the opponent when used with his normals, but now it's been adjusted to the opponents location at any time it's used, the move is now going to be better, a buff. Inadvertant buff, but a buff nonetheless.