"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Just saw a scan with Trunks' ratings as well.

Power: 3
Speed: 3
Reach: 3
Technique: 4
Energy: 2

So the three new characters have pretty tight spreads. That's nice.
BrolyKale wrote:I see, id like to see him tbh he could be really fun to use, i just hope he won't be too slow well we'll see
I think they'd have to make Broly slow for balance reasons.

His power, reach and energy would all be pretty high. Low speed and probably low technique as well, to balance him out.

If he's in the game he'll be a straight-up grappler. High power, slow, bulky and with an emphasis on grabs rather than ki attacks (which really, Broly only has one or maybe two of anyway).
KayDash wrote:I'm still puzzled about that ballance thing.
I wonder if what they ment is that certain "weaker-in-lore" characters like Krillin, Satan, Videl, Tien, etc. won't be able to use lv.5 supers, like planet-size fireballs, and such, but instead they will work better as a support, then the powerhouse characters, like Goku.
If they to do this, I think it's still possible to ballance it all out well. You will just change from Krillin to Goku when your super bar is filled, but when both Goku and Krillin is out of the ring, you will likely use Krillin instead of Goku for the support, because he will throw an unblockable Kienzan or something, and you can follow it up with combos, instead of Goku's blockable linear Kamehameha.
This could actually lead to interesting strategies by players, instead of the game just being another anime tag fighter but with DBZ characters.

Also, I'm happy that will pick more obscure characters too, instead of multiple forms of Goku and Vegeta. Sure, I love the SSJ transformations and Meta Coola, and such, but there are so many DBZ games already with dozens of similar characters... Glad that this game will happen besides Hyper DBZ.
I think that's a realistic guess. I definitely can't think of something Kuririn would have that would create such devastation.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 pm

If what they mean by 'weak characters can't beat Goku 1 on 1' is in term of supers and lvl 5's, I don't really mind, AS LONG as Krillin can OUTFIGHT Goku with techniques.

And apparently, for those who wondered, Piccolo has five fingers.

Guys ... isn't it amazing we're ... actually going to get this MOTHERF*&*ING GAME!?!?!?

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm really hoping that this game has the option for selecting different costumes for characters instead of just changing colours, I mean yeah characters like Freeza and Cell probably have no choice but to do colour changes but others like Goku (Gi from the end of the manga, Yardrat clothes, not to mention various costumes from manga title pages and anime filler), Kuririn (Tacos!), Vegeta ("Bad Man") and Piccolo (you just have to give him the "Post Boy" costume even though that's technically Goku's) have so many options, it'll be a nice way to inject some of the series humour into it, also I've seen it done in games like Street Fighter. Speaking of which, Super Street Fighter IV had 35 characters so if this game were to have a similar number (which I know is unrealistic wishful thinking) then I would go for:
- Goku (Child)
- Goku (Adult)
- Gohan (Cell Games)
- Gohan (Boo Saga)
- Vegeta
- Trunks (Future)
- Gotenks
- Piccolo
- Kuririn
- Tenshinhan
- Chiaotzu
- Yamcha
- Kame Sennin
- Chi-Chi (23rd TB)
- Videl (Short hair)
- Mr Satan
- Tao Pai Pai
- Piccolo Daimao (Young)
- Raditz
- Nappa
- Freeza ("Final" Form)
- Zarbon
- Captain Ginyu
- Artificial Human 20/Dr Gero
- Artificial Human 17
- Artificial Human 18
- Cell (Perfect)
- Kaioshin ("Shin")
- Dabra
- Majin Boo (Chubby)
- Arale
- Jaco
- Beerus
- Hit
- Zamasu (Un-fused normal state)

I'm well aware that this is all but impossible but if most of these characters end up in the game I'll be happy. I would also probably lean heavily towards the original manga as inspiration so all the things like transformations would only really go up to SSJ3 but I can understand why they're putting stuff from modern material in there. I wouldn't mind seeing characters and stages from GT or the movies but I would definitely value the original manga/DB&DBZ stuff over that. (other characters I would have would be Bardock, King Cold, Artificial Human 16, Yajirobe, Sergeant Major Murasaki, Gyu-Mao, Bulma in a mech suit, Pilaf in a mech suit, Pan (end of manga), King Vegeta, Whis, General Blue, Reacoom, Oob and Namu)
Last edited by Deathbringer on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:If what they mean by 'weak characters can't beat Goku 1 on 1' is in term of supers and lvl 5's, I don't really mind, AS LONG as Krillin can OUTFIGHT Goku with techniques.
It's hard to judge because we don't know what the ratings of the first six characters are and we don't know what exactly the ratings refer to (for example, is "energy" the power of energy attacks or how quickly meter builds?) but right now I think it's very likely that Kuririn can compete head-to-head with more powerful characters.

Using Trunks as a substitute, Kuririn has below average power, average speed, low reach and above average technique and energy. Trunks has average power, speed and reach, above average technique but below average energy. Kuririn and Trunks are matched in terms of speed and technique, Trunks has a significant reach advantage and minor power advantage, and Kuririn has a significant energy advantage. Compared to Piccolo, Kuririn is slightly weaker but slightly faster, has a much shorter reach but slightly higher energy and identical level of technique. Again, still pretty balanced. It's obvious that reach will be Kuririn's Achilles heel more than anything else but he seems well stocked with ranged techniques to compensate.

Based on this, I think the line about not wanting to ruin the image of DBZ by having weaker characters defeat stronger ones was PR nonsense. Kuririn has the lowest sum of stats of the three but it's nothing dramatic.
Deathbringer wrote:I'm really hoping that this game has the option for selecting different costumes for characters instead of just changing colours, I mean yeah characters like Freeza and Cell probably have no choice but to do colour changes but others like Goku (Gi from the end of the manga, Yardrat clothes, not to mention various costumes from manga title pages and anime filler), Kuririn (Tacos!), Vegeta ("Bad Man") and Piccolo (you just have to give him the "Post Boy" costume even though that's technically Goku's) have so many options, it'll be a nice way to inject some of the series humour into it, also I've seen it done in games like Street Fighter.
The difference between this game and Street Fighter is that Street Fighter uses conventionally animated 3D models, while this game uses a form of animation analogous to computer generated stop-motion. They have a 3D model for each character but each frame of animation is posed individually, and with each frame the model is altered slightly to make the best lighting. Creating a new skin for a character in Street Fighter is just a matter of making the model, but for this game the model has to be made and then every single frame of animation has to be redone. It's a lot of work for the devs so it's not very likely.
Last edited by KorgDTR2000 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:16 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:Just saw a scan with Trunks' ratings as well.

Power: 3
Speed: 3
Reach: 3
Technique: 4
Energy: 2

So the three new characters have pretty tight spreads. That's nice.
What scan was this?

Capcom used these radar charts for SFV characters, and the correlation to the characters actual strengths and playstyle was pretty non-existent. I expect the same from these.
Deathbringer wrote:I'm really hoping that this game has the option for selecting different costumes for characters instead of just changing colours, I mean yeah characters like Freeza and Cell probably have no choice but to do colour changes but others like Goku (Gi from the end of the manga, Yardrat clothes, not to mention various costumes from manga title pages and anime filler), Kuririn (Tacos!), Vegeta ("Bad Man") and Piccolo (you just have to give him the "Post Boy" costume even though that's technically Goku's) have so many options, it'll be a nice way to inject some of the series humour into it, also I've seen it done in games like Street Fighter.
I don't know if you know, but the way the DBFZ is doing their models makes it impractically difficult for adding alternate costumes. I wouldn't expect more than a few, and not for every character.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 pm

From what we know, the way they animate makes it really hard for them to add alternative costumes... but I wouldn't be too worried, it will came out on PC, and there is always a mod community with a lot of time in their hands...
Last edited by KayDash on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Simere wrote:What scan was this?

Capcom used these radar charts for SFV characters, and the correlation to the characters actual strengths and playstyle was pretty non-existent. I expect the same from these.
This one

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Simere wrote:What scan was this?

This one
:thumbup: That was in none of the places I look for DBFZ news.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:45 pm

What I want to know is who's the artist doing the character portraits. The style is fantastic.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote: It's hard to judge because we don't know what the ratings of the first six characters are and we don't know what exactly the ratings refer to (for example, is "energy" the power of energy attacks or how quickly meter builds?) but right now I think it's very likely that Kuririn can compete head-to-head with more powerful characters.

Using Trunks as a substitute, Kuririn has below average power, average speed, low reach and above average technique and energy. Trunks has average power, speed and reach, above average technique but below average energy. Kuririn and Trunks are matched in terms of speed and technique, Trunks has a significant reach advantage and minor power advantage, and Kuririn has a significant energy advantage. Compared to Piccolo, Kuririn is slightly weaker but slightly faster, has a much shorter reach but slightly higher energy and identical level of technique. Again, still pretty balanced. It's obvious that reach will be Kuririn's Achilles heel more than anything else but he seems well stocked with ranged techniques to compensate.

Based on this, I think the line about not wanting to ruin the image of DBZ by having weaker characters defeat stronger ones was PR nonsense. Kuririn has the lowest sum of stats of the three but it's nothing dramatic.
Nicely put! I agree and I think that Krillin will be one of the difficult characters to master, but once the player does (master him), he'll be a beast.

So Krillin is probably a zoner?

EDIT: Poor Krillin is the only one who looks 99% identical in Chibi mode. :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:04 pm

So there was really nothing to worry about the character roster being unbalanced to no ruin the imagine of Dragon Ball by having characters who are weaker in-universe beating characters who are much stronger in-universe.

All that's left to do is to get into the beta on the 26th.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Nicely put! I agree and I think that Krillin will be one of the difficult characters to master, but once the player does (master him), he'll be a beast.

So Krillin is probably a zoner?

EDIT: Poor Krillin is the only one who looks 99% identical in Chibi mode. :D
Seems like it. From the looks of it he's going to rely on ranged attacks and I'd bet a buck Zanzoken will be used to get away from the opponent and to a useful range.

I think this is what the producer meant when she talked about weaker characters. You could win a fight with Kuririn but it seems he'll be the most useful for his assists and Supers, popping in to rocket off a Kienzan and popping back out.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Krillin is DBFZ's Dhalsim.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

KayDash wrote:Krillin is DBFZ's Dhalsim.
You spelled Piccolo wrong. :P

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
KayDash wrote:Krillin is DBFZ's Dhalsim.
You spelled Piccolo wrong. :P
Got it, but I ment the "keep away" fighting style, not the stretchy arms. :)

Tho Piccolo seems projectile-heavy too.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

A little conjecture: Kuririn doesn't seem to have Taiyoken in his moveset, despite being of the technique's most notable users. That could indicate Tenshinhan is in the game, and he's the character with Taiyoken.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:A little conjecture: Kuririn doesn't seem to have Taiyoken in his moveset, despite being of the technique's most notable users. That could indicate Tenshinhan is in the game, and he's the character with Taiyoken.
That's good. If Krillin, Goku and Cell could perform the Tayoken, Tien's moveset would suffer.

On the other hand, Dragon Ball Super has Krillin improving the Tayoken when compared to Tien.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Based on some of the dev's comments at E3, Tien seems really likely, this is just confirms it even further.
Although we haven't seen the full moveset of Krillin yet.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:A little conjecture: Kuririn doesn't seem to have Taiyoken in his moveset, despite being of the technique's most notable users. That could indicate Tenshinhan is in the game, and he's the character with Taiyoken.
That's good. If Krillin, Goku and Cell could perform the Tayoken, Tien's moveset would suffer.

On the other hand, Dragon Ball Super has Krillin improving the Tayoken when compared to Tien.
Could you imagine Tenshinhan with the Taiyoken assist, and following up with a fully charged and unblockable Kienzan? Shit would be tight.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Could you imagine Tenshinhan with the Taiyoken assist, and following up with a fully charged and unblockable Kienzan? Shit would be tight.
And then Yamcha finishing them off with the Wolf Fang Fist! :thumbup: