"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
KayDash wrote:Mr. Satan is fun, and can be purely unique, but if they seriously consider power levels, he is out too. (which also applies to Videl)
They don't. Nappa's power level is a joke, comparing to current stuff.
Power level is not how this game is being decided on who gets in however

mahakaishin1991

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am

Nappa makes me hopeful for Raditz

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am

Looks completely unappealing to me. As expected. :thumbup: I already said no DB story that doesn't come from Toriyama would interest me.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Ranmaru Rei wrote:
KayDash wrote:Mr. Satan is fun, and can be purely unique, but if they seriously consider power levels, he is out too. (which also applies to Videl)
They don't. Nappa's power level is a joke, comparing to current stuff.
True. Actually, I still wouldn't rule him out... But I'd rather have someone on the roster from Super instead, and I think I'm not alone on this. If they want a gag character Jaco would do just fine in his place.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 am

Jaco or Nappa its the same thing, but Nappa was actually an important character back then, Jaco, nadda.

I really don't like Nappa and I don't care about him, but he had his chances and he is there now.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am

The story looks intriguing, if also somewhat formulaic. And the layout and progression style for which you battle opponent in story greatly reminds of Budokai 2.

greeZH

Post by greeZH » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 am

Beerus, Black (with Zamasu) and Hit is all I need until February. Even though I will preorder anyway.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Simere wrote:Looks completely unappealing to me. As expected. :thumbup: I already said no DB story that doesn't come from Toriyama would interest me.

Toriyama is involved last I heard

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

KayDash wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Ranmaru Rei wrote: They don't. Nappa's power level is a joke, comparing to current stuff.
True. Actually, I still wouldn't rule him out... But I'd rather have someone on the roster from Super instead, and I think I'm not alone on this. If they want a gag character Jaco would do just fine in his place.
The point of this game, last I checked was its end Z-peaceful work saga pre-beerus. There's no sign of Super because they emphasized Z in the title.

I think Super content is being saved for DLC

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:08 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Simere wrote:Looks completely unappealing to me. As expected. :thumbup: I already said no DB story that doesn't come from Toriyama would interest me.

He provided the appearance for #21 after they sent him her character outline, but I believe that's the extent his of involvement.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Simere wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

He provided the appearance for #21 after they sent him her character outline, but I believe that's the extent his of involvement.
From what I understand he's put in plot points similar to what he's doing with Super. I guess if you already aren't interested it doesn't really matter how involve in it he is anyway.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote: The point of this game, last I checked was its end Z-peaceful work saga pre-beerus. There's no sign of Super because they emphasized Z in the title.
- Golden Freeza
- SSB Goku (including his SSB Kaioken)
- SSB Vegeta (including his moves from the Zamasu and Magetta fights)
- Buu's pose from the Zen Exhibition matches
- Tien's costume from Super (and also Chiaotzu's)
- Yamcha's costume (and hair) from Super
- Krillin's costume from Super
- Bulma wearing her Super outfit in the story mode
- #18 wearing her casual outfit from Super in the story mode
- A stage that 100% resembles the destroyed city from the Zamasu arc.
- ArcSys stated that the game takes place in the Zamasu-U6 tournament era.

This is a bit more then 'no sign of Super'.
Btw, Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden (ArcSys' previous fighting game), also had Z in the title and featured stuff from Super. (and also from DB, GT and XV)

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:09 pm

I don't know if it's accidental or not, but the Tournament of Power arc that is airing now in Japan has many teams of threes that could be implemented in this game.

Jiren / Toppo / Dyspo

Ribrianne / Rose / Catgirl chic

The three werewolves from Universe 9

Cabba / Cauliffa / Kale

All of them with unique abilities and movesets.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:13 pm

KayDash wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote: The point of this game, last I checked was its end Z-peaceful work saga pre-beerus. There's no sign of Super because they emphasized Z in the title.
- Golden Freeza

Btw, Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden (ArcSys' previous fighting game), also had Z in the title and featured stuff from Super. (and also from DB, GT and XV)
almost All of those things you mentioned were in A Z movie called Revival of F, before Super even aired

As for the destroyed city, thats also in the extended Revival of F with Trunks and Black.

The story is set in the End of Z series. we know this already
Last edited by mahakaishin1991 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Don't know if this was posted yet, but here's Chris Sabat talking a little bit about FighterZ and very slightly going into the story:

https://youtu.be/6WvXbPK3s8w?t=798
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
KayDash wrote:
- Golden Freeza

All of those things you mentioned were in A Z movie called Revival of F, before Super even aired

As for the destroyed city, thats also in the extended Revival of F with Trunks and Black.

Goku was not in his regular gi while SSB until the Future Trunks arc, and a lot of SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta's moves are from the U6/FT arc such as Kaioken

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:22 pm

TheMikado wrote:From what I understand he's put in plot points similar to what he's doing with Super. I guess if you already aren't interested it doesn't really matter how involve in it he is anyway.
Well, I'm not interested because he's not involved. I've only seen Toriyama's name come up three times in regards to DBFZ: #21 as I just mentioned, that message he gave at TGS about how great the gameplay looks, and this bit:
Namco Bandai was operating under parameters of its own. While working on the game, the developers would show art and footage to Toei and Shueisha (instead of working with directly with Toriyama). The anime studio and the manga publisher would then check the game to make sure what the developers were doing suited the characters and the Dragon Ball universe.

“There were small things that were rejected or changed, such as them saying that Freeza or Cell wouldn’t say this or that or some slight changes to how Goku would act.”
And earlier in that article:
Namco Bandai created the game’s story and decided what kind of character Android 21 would.
There is that Toyotaro quote about how Toriyama oversees every storyboard related to the DB universe, and if that extends to video games, then I suppose it's possible he was one of the people directing those small changes through Shueisha.
Last edited by Simere on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Asura wrote:Don't know if this was posted yet, but here's Chris Sabat talking a little bit about FighterZ and very slightly going into the story:

https://youtu.be/6WvXbPK3s8w?t=798
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
KayDash wrote: - Golden Freeza

All of those things you mentioned were in A Z movie called Revival of F, before Super even aired

Goku was not in his regular gi while SSB until the Future Trunks arc, and a lot of SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta's moves are from the U6/FT arc such as Kaioken
the bulk of that was from Battle of Gods and Revival F.

The only things that were were literally kaioken blue and a few moves.

The story is not set in Super, if it were we'd have seen Beerus by now for sure. Theyve emphasized its considered a Z game with the Z in the title.

I dont doubt Super content is coming, just it's most likely going to not be the bulk of the game. if it were we wouldnt have fighters in their Z clothes like 17/18, Yamcha in his Gi, costumes from Battle of Gods (a Z movie) and people like Ginyu and Nappa who have nothing to do with Super. I expect we'll see Beerus/Whis, Black/Zamasu and at most Jiren in a DLC pack. The bulk of the game is Z content

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote: All of those things you mentioned were in A Z movie called Revival of F, before Super even aired
How that changes the fact that they are in Super?
"All of those"? Okay, show me some SSB Kaioken or Final Flash Punch from the DBZ movies.
If I follow your logic of "it's not Super stuff, because it appeared elsewhere before", then it's an invalid argument, because the destroyed city appeared first at the end of DBS Ep 46, and only 3 months later in the RoF Trunks Special.

EoZ? Like after the Uub fight? Source?

Even if we don't get any new characters from Super (which is unlikely), a strong influence is already there.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm

KayDash wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Ranmaru Rei wrote: They don't. Nappa's power level is a joke, comparing to current stuff.
Jaco and Satan for the online prem to enter the game :D

Ditto, I`m glad people are happy for Nappa and Ginyu but that`s four slots so far that to me look sort of wasted potential. But thinking about it, at the very least Ginyu has potential to play completely different given the rest of his squad complimenting the gameplay but for the other three (Nappa and the SSBs) I`d choose Beerus, Hit and Arale anytime, anyday.

At least the bulk of characters seem classic Dragonball centric when everyone at large was more relevant, that`s cool. As far as storymode anyone notice it`s the second game in a row showcasing evil versions of the characters, in a fashion? Time Breakers and now android (?) or whatever clones?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Olympian wrote:
KayDash wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote: At least the bulk of characters seem classic Dragonball centric when everyone at large was more relevant, that`s cool. As far as storymode anyone notice it`s the second game in a row showcasing evil versions of the characters, in a fashion? Time Breakers and now android (?) or whatever clones?
It's a tool from the writers to create match-ups between character who otherwise wouldn't have a reason to fight. It's also in other games, like Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, or even in the new MvC Infite. Hero characters can fight like this with each other, or weaker villains can became stronger and more relevant like this.
Yeah, it's cheap and videogamey, but I don't mind it in a fighting game like this.