"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 am

Why do people seem to think Gotenks is very likely? If we get a fusion character it'll likely be Vegetto.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 am

I think Broly, Bardock and Beerus will be in 100%.
As for fusions, Gotenks seems more likely because of how over the top his moves look, and because he could also have a cool intro with Goten and Trunks performing the fusion dance. Although I wouldn't mind having both him and Vegetto. And I hope the main roster will also include Hit and Goku Black, so that they can focus on introducing the characters from the ToP with DLCs. Caulifla will 100% get in the game some day.

I'm very happy Nappa is in, as they will have a lot of reference to draw from and he's got some cool moves, and while Ginyu isn't exactly one of my favorites he will bring some cool moves on the table, with his Body Switch and his Ginyu Force summon attacks.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

cringey

Post by cringey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:46 am

UPDATE: Ginyu Tokusentai!

more here: https://twitter.com/dbgame_official
precita wrote:Why do people seem to think Gotenks is very likely? If we get a fusion character it'll likely be Vegetto.
He's popular.
He's very unique.
He's in Extreme Butoden.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:45 am

LightBing wrote:
KayDash wrote:Check my previous post, they made him pretty interesting in Extreme Butoden. His low-down personality and pettiness comes through his moves just fine. And it's all based on the anime.

Of course, characters like Hit or Dabura just kick his ass in uniqueness.
Checked that iteration and he seems to be counter-based? Even if it worked it doesn't fit with the character, he was a beast and only bothered blocking Goku's Kamehameha and dodging Piccolo's Makankasappo. The rest of the time he was blitzing and effortlessly kicking their asses.
I rather not have him in the game if he's going to be discharacterised beyond the acceptable. Having Raditz as a counter-based character just seems wrong to me.

I don't doubt Arc System could make him interesting, the disadvantage is that they would have more work with him than with other characters.
Okay, I'll explain myself.
He is not counter-based, maybe has one attack that works like that, but that's it. What makes him unique is unlike in the other several DBZ games, where he just has regular target following energy blasts like everyone else, ArcSys gave him moves based on subtle things he did in the anime, For example one of his moves is stomping the opponent, the same way he did to Goku in the anime. His regular ki blast is replaced Raditz smacking back the bullet to the Farmer, except he does it without the bullet, so it's an invisible air strike with the exact same hand-movement from the anime. There's more, like he has the tail attack he used against Krillin, etc. but I won't list everything.
Anyway, my point is, he is anything but discharacterized, instead, he is everything he was in the anime, and wasn't in many other games.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:10 am

KayDash wrote:Okay, I'll explain myself.
He is not counter-based, maybe has one attack that works like that, but that's it. What makes him unique is unlike in the other several DBZ games, where he just has regular target following energy blasts like everyone else, ArcSys gave him moves based on subtle things he did in the anime, For example one of his moves is stomping the opponent, the same way he did to Goku in the anime. His regular ki blast is replaced Raditz smacking back the bullet to the Farmer, except he does it without the bullet, so it's an invisible air strike with the exact same hand-movement from the anime. There's more, like he has the tail attack he used against Krillin, etc. but I won't list everything.
Anyway, my point is, he is anything but discharacterized, instead, he is everything he was in the anime, and wasn't in many other games.
I only saw a couple minutes of gameplay and saw two counter-moves, that's why I had a question mark when I said he seemed counter based.

It would only be discharacterized if that was his whole deal, like making Piccolo Mister Fantastic just because he stretched his limbs a couple of time in the manga.

I appreciated the references that I saw, specially the tail swipe and they very well could make him into a character. The thing is there's no gimmick. He would be like SSJ Goku a bit plain when compared to more extravagant characters. That's not necessarily bad, however like I said before there's much more interesting characters with the same level of popularity as him.

That said after re-reading his fight, he seems much more interesting to me. His double hand blast attack would be pretty sick in this game.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 am

precita wrote:Why do people seem to think Gotenks is very likely? If we get a fusion character it'll likely be Vegetto.
Hopefully not. Gotenks is a far better character for the game. He`s more colorful, appealing, got more unique/fun moves to play with and is another small guy in the roster.

Enough of milking Goku/Vegeta ad-ons.

Videl for pure melee? Use Arale. She`s got more to offer and looks more unique.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 am

LightBing wrote: I only saw a couple minutes of gameplay and saw two counter-moves, that's why I had a question mark when I said he seemed counter based.

It would only be discharacterized if that was his whole deal, like making Piccolo Mister Fantastic just because he stretched his limbs a couple of time in the manga.
Yeah, I think that was one of the things going on for Piccolo in Infinite Worlds and it always felt weird.
On the other hand ArcSys is really spot on with these references. In their Fist of the North Star game, there's this fat giant guy named Heart. He hadn't got too many attacks in the anime to translate to a fighting game, but he had an ability to repel attacks with his fat belly. In one scene fighters threw spears at him, and he shoot them back with his abdomen fat. In the game, they turned it into a super move, where he shoots back the spears to the opponent.
It might sound hilarious like this, but it blew mind how ArcSys turned a minor filler anime scene that noone would consider, into a cool super move for a character.
I appreciated the references that I saw, specially the tail swipe and they very well could make him into a character. The thing is there's no gimmick. He would be like SSJ Goku a bit plain when compared to more extravagant characters. That's not necessarily bad, however like I said before there's much more interesting characters with the same level of popularity as him.
This I totally agree with.

Oh btw, Nappa and Ginyuu sceenshots look awesome. although it's a bit uncommon to see all of the Ginyuu Force without their scouters. I guess they wanted them symmetric instead of mirroring the "3D-sprites" or applying different hand-adjusted celshade for both of their left & right facing animations seperatedly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:18 am

So the rest of the Ginyu Force will be assist characters? Or will some of the Ginyu Force (Recoome) be playable while the others (Guldo, Burter, Jiece) will be assist characters?

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 am

Lord Beerus wrote:So the rest of the Ginyu Force will be assist characters? Or will some of the Ginyu Force (Recoome) be playable while the others (Guldo, Burter, Jiece) will be assist characters?
From the translated scan: "Ginyu Force members appear with a special button! Moves will change with your command! It's as if you were fighting while controlling 5 characters!!"

So I assume all 4 are assists.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am

I'm still hoping for Broly

while I'm not fan of him as a character , i always like playing as him in most dbz games .
My English is poor .

cringey

Post by cringey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:54 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:From the translated scan: "Ginyu Force members appear with a special button! Moves will change with your command! It's as if you were fighting while controlling 5 characters!!"

Correct.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:00 am

Being able to summon the 4 other members from Ginyu Force, makes Ginyu actually fun to play with.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 am

Considering the devs have said they're prioritizing interesting gameplay, Gotenks just seems way more likely. More move diversity than Vegetto.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:12 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:So the rest of the Ginyu Force will be assist characters? Or will some of the Ginyu Force (Recoome) be playable while the others (Guldo, Burter, Jiece) will be assist characters?
From the translated scan: "Ginyu Force members appear with a special button! Moves will change with your command! It's as if you were fighting while controlling 5 characters!!"

Ah. Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:28 am

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/drago ... tails.aspx

Seems like Recoome has his wide range explosive attack and Jeice has his crusher ball as assists.

Saibamen surprisingly has a bunch of uses, at least 3 including his suicide attack. I wonder if we lose the Saibaimen after his suicide.

These characters are looking great! Predictions for gameplay videos? Any conference/event coming soon?

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Captain Ginyu;

Nappa;

They both look awesome.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 pm

This game looks so good!! It's unreal. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

cringey

Post by cringey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Fighterz makes Xenoverse look like a fan made game. Dimps needs to step up their game.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 pm

cringey wrote:Fighterz makes Xenoverse look like a fan made game. Dimps needs to step up their game.
Ironically, the Xenoverse fans believe FighterZ looks like a cheap mobile game.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Fans will defend their horse in the race but on a technical standpoint, this artistic rendering is harder to make and they`re making it look great and smooth.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not