"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GTx10 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Bought the Season Pass when the game made it first available, and finally finished cycling through the eight new characters.
That means it's finally time to trade in this game towards an actual good game.
Right. So one of the best fighting games to come out in recent memory (reinvigorating interest in fighting games as a by product) is not an "actual good game." :yawn:
Hmmm is it though? Take Soul Calibur 2 for example, it had its basic Arcade and team battle modes and the Weapon Master Mode is no different than FighterZ's story but the game had "soul." (No pun intended) I remember getting lost in the profiles, weapon gallary mode, and etc for hours but despite the fan service in FighterZs It doesn't feel fun, I can't feel the fun. Also are those fighting game tournaments really that important? I think a game's fun factor is due to its longevity not what a tournament crowd dictates.
Note: I am biased against FighterZ and I am on the Xenoverse team so food for thought.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:09 pm

GTx10 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Bought the Season Pass when the game made it first available, and finally finished cycling through the eight new characters.
Right. So one of the best fighting games to come out in recent memory (reinvigorating interest in fighting games as a by product) is not an "actual good game." :yawn:
Hmmm is it though? Take Soul Calibur 2 for example, it had its basic Arcade and team battle modes and the Weapon Master Mode is no different than FighterZ's story but the game had "soul." (No pun intended) I remember getting lost in the profiles, weapon gallary mode, and etc for hours but despite the fan service in FighterZs It doesn't feel fun, I can't feel the fun. Also are those fighting game tournaments really that important? I think a game's fun factor is due to its longevity not what a tournament crowd dictates.
Note: I am biased against FighterZ and I am on the Xenoverse team so food for thought.
You're pretty much admitting you prefer fanservice over actual gameplay. FighterZ is centered around competitive play, and it's complex and intuitive engine does just that. Would a better story mode have been better? Sure, as well as other arcade modes that could have bolstered the game's singleplayer content, but it's not really necessary. This is the first time a Dragonball fighting game has had exceptional care taken into both presentation and a competitive gameplay engine, and the engine was built from scratch as this is the first iteration of FighterZ. So many of us who were waiting for a true fighting game with the Z franchise are willing to overlook all the extra bells and whistles that, for the most part, have been included in other Dragonball games and as a result we got a mediocre fighter after mediocre fighter.

The fact that you are in the "Xenoverse camp" tells me that you are unwilling to actually sit down and play a real fighting game, learn the engine, and play against opponents. This is an arcade fighter true and true. Back then we had nothing but quarters and an Arcade mode to practice, patiently waiting until someone dropped a quarter next to your slot and challenged you. And what made us come back was always the thrill of playing against someone in a game engine that was simple yet complex, responsive, and ultimately fun. If this doesn't float your boat, you're better off with Xenoverse.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 pm

Here's one thing, not everyone has the time to learn and master a single character and that's okay. Nobody's trying to take away anything from the game, people just want more complete offline modes for the game and that's it. It's what drives them, just like the competition thrill that drives you. If you are a competitive player then why are you bothered that some folks were expecting more from this game? You got what you want, so why can't the other side get theirs? And the modes can be DLC for all I care.
Last edited by EXBadguy on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
You're pretty much admitting you prefer fanservice over actual gameplay. FighterZ is centered around competitive play, and it's complex and intuitive engine does just that. Would a better story mode have been better? Sure, as well as other arcade modes that could have bolstered the game's singleplayer content, but it's not really necessary. This is the first time a Dragonball fighting game has had exceptional care taken into both presentation and a competitive gameplay engine, and the engine was built from scratch as this is the first iteration of FighterZ. So many of us who were waiting for a true fighting game with the Z franchise are willing to overlook all the extra bells and whistles that, for the most part, have been included in other Dragonball games and as a result we got a mediocre fighter after mediocre fighter.

The fact that you are in the "Xenoverse camp" tells me that you are unwilling to actually sit down and play a real fighting game, learn the engine, and play against opponents. This is an arcade fighter true and true. Back then we had nothing but quarters and an Arcade mode to practice, patiently waiting until someone dropped a quarter next to your slot and challenged you. And what made us come back was always the thrill of playing against someone in a game engine that was simple yet complex, responsive, and ultimately fun. If this doesn't float your boat, you're better off with Xenoverse.
Not always the best argument, Street Fighter 5 sales plainly showed what happens when developers think their bottom line is only the competitive market.

For the record, only thing I play besides RPGs are fighting games. Fighterz is a wonder to behold, and because it's DBZ, it can strike lightning just by focusing on the competitive market. But they won't strike lightning twice if they pull this a second time. Sure, they'll make bank, but they won't make the same amount, when the XV lovers and the casual market see it's more of the same and decide they're going to skip a sequel, something investors aren't going to like. hardcore DBZ fans doesn't necessarily equal hardcore fighting game fans.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:54 am

GTx10 wrote: Hmmm is it though? Take Soul Calibur 2 for example, it had its basic Arcade and team battle modes and the Weapon Master Mode is no different than FighterZ's story but the game had "soul." (No pun intended) I remember getting lost in the profiles, weapon gallary mode, and etc for hours but despite the fan service in FighterZs It doesn't feel fun, I can't feel the fun. Also are those fighting game tournaments really that important? I think a game's fun factor is due to its longevity not what a tournament crowd dictates.

So what gives a soul to a game here?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 am

I was misunderstanding what people meant with competitive play, which is the 1% who go to tournaments and care about balance, picking top tiers etc...

What y'all talking about is freaking multiplayer, you know the point of a fighting game. You know people went to the arcades just to play fighting games with other people?
Seriously..., the silly criticism here is akin to complaining why racing games waste time caring about how you control a car.

So in your eyes people who bother to learn the game are competitive players? People who bought the game and care about exploring it's mechanics are competitive players? Because they aren't, they are people who are enjoying a fighting game, they are using it for what's it meant to be.

Of course this doesn't mean all other stuff doesn't matter, but gameplay is the most important thing for a game like this. It's legitimate to criticize the single player content in this game, I'm with you on that. You just can't hold your expectations above the freaking point of the genre.

Just say the single player in this game is severely lacking, don't attack the other segments of the game to justify this.

If I were to evaluate, it would something like this(out of 10):
Gameplay - 8.5
Graphics - 10
Content - 5.5 (Gave it a 5.5 instead of a 5 because of Dramatic finishes, every once in a while I just rewatch them all, it's freaking good)
Bonus points for almost every move being straight out of the manga/anime. This game is an anthem to Dragon Ball.

Now if some people here who apparently do not care about gameplay remove that aspect of course the grade will fall by a lot.

TL;DR - I'll say it again just call it like it is. The single player aspect in this game is bad, that's it. Don't just come here and trash the game or say you're in the Xenoverse team or create narratives about how they purposely focused on some aspects in detriment of others.
Let's just discuss how they can improve that aspect, because single player content is important for a lot of people and it needs to be better.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am

LightBing wrote:
So in your eyes people who bother to learn the game are competitive players? People who bought the game and care about exploring it's mechanics are competitive players? Because they aren't, they are people who are enjoying a fighting game, they are using it for what's it meant to be.
I think your version of competition player is too narrow. Competitive players can extend to the ones that only care about playing online against other players and being one of the top ranked, so yeah in that aspect, most people who take their time to learn a couple characters are that. Cuz let's face it, some casuals may learn more about the mechanics but most of them don't really care to look deeply into it and play online.

And I'll say this once more, nobody is taking anything away from the game. People just think the game could've had a better package. People have different reasons to play a fighting game, whether we both like it or not.
LightBing wrote: You just can't hold your expectations above the freaking point of the genre.
To a certain degree I can. If people want the genre to last, one of the things it has to do is to evolve beyond the standard aspect.The only thing that is impossible to implement in a fighting game is a open world mode, but they can do other things to shake up the status quo of fighting games. How about a World Tour Mode from SF Alpha 3, or a Force mode from the earlier Tekken games, or a Quest mode from Virtua Fighter, There are so many opportunities. Hell, again, if the wanna focus on multiplayer first and put the offline modes as DLC, that'd be fine since game development is harder than ever nowadays.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:47 am

GTx10 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
To be fair, there can also be a nostlagic bias in those kinds of things, I played SCII last year to see that single player content, and it bored the crap out of me, playing with characters I didn't want to against dumb AI and silly gimmicks on that weapon master mode... Yeah. I also played Budokai 3 recently, and while I remember liking shit like Dragon Universe years ago, it was far less interesting this time around with the bad story mode, other characters being too hidden (To unlock Omega Shenron, complete DU with Goku once, find Kibito Shin before fighting Boohan, talk with Bulma so she talks about something being wrong with the dragon balls before fighting Gotenks, think you need to find SS4 too, then just go beat him)

I'm not saying this excuses DBFZ having a bad single player content, just that stuff from back then may not be as good as people would like to think, and because of that, even if something recent ends up being good they may not enjoy just because it's not the old stuff.

Anyways, the importance of tournaments, well, it's what keeps for example games like Smash Melee and 3S around, but those games are pretty hype to watch even if you don't really know what's going on, and even competitively popular games need to have a crowd, so a solid single player content helps (Needs far more than that, but having that is a start), and honestly, DBFZ is getting away with something similar that SFV did (Though not as bad), the presentation and the over hyping the game got helped out, but I'm pretty sure people will actualy start to complain if it happens again with a next game. And as Xenoverse itself shows, being popular competitive game is not a requirement to be popular with casuals.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:17 pm

GTx10 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Why can't people give both games credit.

I don't see any reason for being biased against a game , that's just a childish behaviour.

Also the fun differs for a person to another , many people are having a blast with it and many people see it as the best dragon ball game ever. (including me)
My English is poor .

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:28 pm

To elaborate

If you scroll back through this thread, you'll see that I've previously highlighted my concerns with this game.

The base roster was bland, and had minimum depth. The story was boring, repetitive, and made no sense to have three different stories telling vaguely the same thing, but it never intersects or explains anything in the other branches. It's as though the development team gave three writing teams each an overview of the game and told them to have fun.

As I've mentioned previously also, the 'storymode' which was repetitive fights against the same four to eight NPC's that made no sound, barely fought back, and had no personality was not fun or engaging - it was boring.

I play video games for the story. That's why I love series simulators, and why I've never invested myself in pure fighters (aside from Smash)

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:31 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
GTx10 wrote:

Note: Growing up I loved fighting games and played them alone often. As I grew up I found I could not enjoy them as much as when I was a kid.

With that said, FighterZ does not catch my attention. I wouldn't say it's a bad game but it isn't good either. I'm sure with a group of friends this game could be a blast but their is nothing fun about getting your butt handed to you by "better" players and/or playing the dull story mode. (It's not the story but the repeated characters)
Not only that but this game needs some gag characters like Roshi, Mr. Satan, Arale, or hell Mercenary Tao! (Not for the gags but KO'ing foes with your tongue.)
Yeah, I think if this game had more offline modes and a better arcade mode, then it would've been a great one. I tell ya, this is what happens when you focus too damn much on the E-Sports crap. It happened with Street Fighter 5, Tekken 7, and now this.E-Sports can be both good and bad for fighting games. Hell, if they wanna focus on the online competitive stuff first and then have more single player modes for DLC, I wouldn't mind. It's no wonder the playerbase went down fast after two weeks of release. True, no game lasts forever and I get the competitive player base sticks around (and help the market post release), but what about the rest of the base who just play for fun? Like it or not, they are the majority of the playerbase, not the E-Sports crowd. Arcs needs to understand that this game is not and will never will be a League of Legends.

Like ya said, game ain't bad, just could've been better as a whole.
Yes i totally agree.

I personally don't care about those things like most of you guys , but i can definitely understand where you're coming from.

Being a fighting games fan since the arcade days we used to only have the basic arcade mode and the local 2-player mode.

So these days all i care about is the online , if its good then there's i high chance i will like the game , I dont mainly play fighting games for their offline content, but did i previously had fun playing a fighting game offline? yes, is it better than the online? heck no, that's just my personal thoughts.

Also more people should start learning the game instead of auto-comboing all the time which will lead them into getting their ass kicked and then bashing and blaming the game for it.
My English is poor .

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 pm

And oh yeah ... i totally forgot what i came here for (sorry for the spam )

Bandai Namco has reported recently that Dragon Ball Fighterz sales surpassed 3.5 million copy.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/10/ ... han_a_year
My English is poor .

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:15 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Why can't people give both games credit.

I don't see any reason for being biased against a game , that's just a childish behaviour.

Also the fun differs for a person to another , many people are having a blast with it and many people see it as the best dragon ball game ever. (including me)
Let the record show that I do think FighterZs is a "love letter" to the fans. It's character interactions and winks and call outs are juicy to the very last drop. The reason I am bised is because during FighterZs pre-release days many folks hailed it as the coming of Jesus and lampooned Xenoverse 2. A game that gave us so much content was treated like a side chick in favor of FighterZ. That reaction rubbed me wrong and I've never liked the game since. A foolish notion to harber? No duh! But it's tainted for me and well that ain't changing. (Note: I bought the Collector's Edition and have all the DLC for this game. I will also buy any future dlc for this game because its Dragon Ball)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 pm

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/10/31/se ... -fighterz/

New music pack coming, unfortunately like the first the musics are shortened.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:59 pm

LightBing wrote:http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/10/31/se ... -fighterz/

Nice although I was hoping they'd include "Let it burn" from Kai TFC.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:03 am

LightBing wrote:http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/10/31/se ... -fighterz/

Is there a reason for them not to include the full version?
My English is poor .

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:02 am

Do we have some characters speculation on the next season pass DLC ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:21 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Do we have some characters speculation on the next season pass DLC ?
Nothing yet.
My English is poor .

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 pm

GTx10 wrote: Also are those fighting game tournaments really that important? I think a game's fun factor is due to its longevity not what a tournament crowd dictates.
It having tournaments means that the gameplay has longevity, that it has legs by its own merits to last for a while and that it's not a simply "one and done" game that the franchise has seen so much. The game is fun, has depth, thus people want to participate in tournaments for it.
EXBadguy wrote:Here's one thing, not everyone has the time to learn and master a single character and that's okay. Nobody's trying to take away anything from the game, people just want more complete offline modes for the game and that's it. It's what drives them, just like the competition thrill that drives you. If you are a competitive player then why are you bothered that some folks were expecting more from this game? You got what you want, so why can't the other side get theirs? And the modes can be DLC for all I care.
Because having both was never going to happen on the first try, and I think it was due to the ambition of the devs. By trying to make the Story Mode a bigger focus, they just pumped in filler fights and bad map design just so it filled a certain number of hours to appease reviewers, and in a way to make a non-standard arcade mode they made it a not fun experience to go through it multiple times. It's not going to get fixed as a DLC or a patch because it's easy marketing for a sequel, despite being something rather "simple" to fix.

People are okay with it because:

1 - It's the first game, and people understand that the primary focus was making the core experience as best as it could be so it has longevity.
2 - There's other Dragon Ball games from this generation that already focus on a more complete offline experience
3 - People have been wanting a game like this for a long time

It's a one hit wonder that won't work again if a sequel does happen of course.
GTx10 wrote: The reason I am bised is because during FighterZs pre-release days many folks hailed it as the coming of Jesus and lampooned Xenoverse 2. A game that gave us so much content was treated like a side chick in favor of FighterZ.
To some, that's what exactly what it was/is. The last time you had a game even similar to FighterZ was in 2008 with the release of Infinite World/Burst Limit, maybe 2006 with Super DBZ, and if you don't count either due to subgenre differences it was since the PS1 days, when the games avaliable were truly bad. Meanwhile Xenoverse 2, despite all the content and RPG elements it has, is still seen as "just an Arena Fighter" that have been coming out non-stop since 2009.

It was all about timing, which was further exagerated by people against the IDEA of FighterZ, because it wasn't Xenoverse 3 or some fake criticism (all the scrub-quotes on twitter, even the Bing Card I made) which made the 2 "sides" clash hard.

Yes it's not a good attitude to take, but hype sometimes works like that unfortunately. IMO, that shouldn't cloud your judgment on either game, because they 2 different things for different types of people, and it's a good thing that both exist.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Quebaz wrote:
GTx10 wrote: Also are those fighting game tournaments really that important? I think a game's fun factor is due to its longevity not what a tournament crowd dictates.
It having tournaments means that the gameplay has longevity, that it has legs by its own merits to last for a while and that it's not a simply "one and done" game that the franchise has seen so much. The game is fun, has depth, thus people want to participate in tournaments for it.
To add to Quebaz point, no matter how much singleplayer content you add once you finish said content, what reason do you have to keep playing? Deep gameplay that gives plenty of room for the player to improve and grow can retain a player for far longer than any limited singleplayer fluff could ever dream of.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.