"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:That's better. I thought it would be simply Base Goku and Vegeta from Super.
That would have been really dumb of them to do. :lol:
Yeah, that's I why I disliked the first time I heard about it lol
I kinda want Jiren though.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 pm

majinwarman wrote:I kinda want Jiren though.
I prefer SS4 Gogeta, I would love to spam Confetti Kamehameha(s) on my opponents.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon May 28, 2018 2:04 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I kinda want Jiren though.
I prefer SS4 Gogeta, I would love to spam Confetti Kamehameha(s) on my opponents.
To each their own.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 am

Bullza wrote:Even the people in those comments are complaining about it.

They charge that much money for the Season Pass which only includes 8 characters and two of them are just another version of Goku and Vegeta.

That is why you should never buy a Season Pass unless you know exactly what you're getting.
8 characters are a lot actually.

Tekken only offers 2 characters in its 30+ dollars season pass.
My English is poor .

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue May 29, 2018 5:28 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
Bullza wrote:Even the people in those comments are complaining about it.

They charge that much money for the Season Pass which only includes 8 characters and two of them are just another version of Goku and Vegeta.

That is why you should never buy a Season Pass unless you know exactly what you're getting.
8 characters are a lot actually.

People don't seem to understand how much work goes into fighting game characters and game development in general. They are not seeking answers about it either, they just want to have a nice adrenaline-fueled outrage.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:44 am

Does anyone know the Australian release time for Vegetto and Zamasu? Because of time zones will it not be until Friday morning for us?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue May 29, 2018 8:28 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:8 characters are a lot actually.

Mortal Kombat X also offered 9 DLC characters. Those plus the costumes and such cost $133 if you didn't buy the XL release which included most of that already. :shock:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 am

Eight characters doesn't seem like a lot when two of the characters are Base Goku and Vegeta, the laziest choices they could pick.

Theres already Bardock who is just a Goku look alike and then there's Vegito who is just a Super Saiyan Blue Goku look a like.

Then supposedly there's Android 17 who is already sort of in the game and Cooler who is just a poor man's Frieza.

Incredibly boring choices to be honest.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 am

Bullza wrote:Eight characters doesn't seem like a lot when two of the characters are Base Goku and Vegeta, the laziest choices they could pick.

Theres already Bardock who is just a Goku look alike and then there's Vegito who is just a Super Saiyan Blue Goku look a like.

Then supposedly there's Android 17 who is already sort of in the game and Cooler who is just a poor man's Frieza.

This doesn't change the fact that 8 new characters represent 1/3 of the base roster (24), that a resonable amount of new characters.

You keep complaining about characters being look alike but that means nothing if they play different (like how you can't interchangeably apply the same strategies and mindsets when playing as SS Goku, SSGSS Goku or Goku Black)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:11 am

I think he does however, make a great point in that Base Goku and Vegeta seem like incredibly dumb choices and lazy as fucking DLC at this stage of the game . His complaint is valid, as there are plenty of characters in the DB verse that would have been better suited as DLC, and would have still played differently.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 am

Exactly they'd have played just as differently if not more so whilst also having a wider visual and character range.

Characters like Master Roshi, Dabura, Janemba, Magetta, Kefla, Dyspo, Toppo, Jiren, Omega Shenron etc.

If they had to have yet another version of Goku and Vegeta then why not Super Saiyan 4 or Ultra Instinct? Base Goku? Who already appears in the game and will practically look the same as Super Saiyan Goku but with different hair....pointless.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 am

"Lazy" implies that the characters don't/won't have completely unique move sets and play strategies compared to the other characters... and as we've already seen with Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta versus their "standard" incarnations, this isn't the case. At all.

"Lazy" seems like a very (dare I say) "lazy" way to describe the situation. The complaint is really a very surface-level, and (again, dare I say) superficial one. It's about the visual representation of what's underneath.

But to some degree, I totally understand and sympathize with that. I'd honestly rather have a team with all sorts of shapes and sizes and genders and races and colors and hair styles. That being said, if I find out that this theoretical/likely "Base" Goku ends up being amazingly fun to play and fits in with my kind of play style? In this case, I wouldn't be able to really complain about them delivering something that works for me.

Rather than condemn something that doesn't even exist yet, though, I think I'll wait and see what they ultimately deliver and how it fits into my play style.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 am

Bullza wrote:Eight characters doesn't seem like a lot when two of the characters are Base Goku and Vegeta, the laziest choices they could pick.

I agree that the Base Saiyans are bad DLC material, at least in a first season. The only reason I'm even hyped is because I love Vegeta and I want a Goku with Kaioken and Genki Dama. They should have been in the base game.
I was icky about Bardock because he contributes to the Goku look-a-likes problem but they made him great and I say he was a great addiction to the game. His choice like Broly and Cooler is simply because they are the most liked movie characters, they are just giving what the majority of fans want.

It's very disingenuous to call Vegetto another Blue Goku or Cooler "poor man's Freeza", If you don't like the choices fine but come up with non-arguments like that. They are their own characters.
Likewise #17 isn't in the game and was the MVP of the ToP arc, it's totally acceptable that they bring him up.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am

Bullza wrote:Exactly they'd have played just as differently if not more so whilst also having a wider visual and character range.

Characters like Master Roshi, Dabura, Janemba, Magetta, Kefla, Dyspo, Toppo, Jiren, Omega Shenron etc.

If they had to have yet another version of Goku and Vegeta then why not Super Saiyan 4 or Ultra Instinct? Base Goku? Who already appears in the game and will practically look the same as Super Saiyan Goku but with different hair....pointless.
Agreed. We already have characters like LSSJ Broly, so the canon/non canon argument shouldn't even apply for this game. SSJ4 is a more unique take on Goku and would have been preferable rather than Base, imo. But even if you omit SSJ4 or don't like GT stuff

There is Ultra Instinct, which is known as the strongest form of Goku. I think he's shown enough(in terms of moveset and uniqueness) in the ToP to be able to justify being in the game as DLC. He would have been a far more worthy character to play as imo.

Before the release, I've seen people justify SSJ Goku over Base Goku being in the game. Ok, now that the game is released, fine w.e. But when we get Broly, Bardock, SSB Vegito and Fused Zamasu...including Base Goku and Vegeta at this point seems meh. Their models were already in the game and even if they have a "unique playstyle", so would many other characters in their place. Playing as Base Goku or Vegeta isn't appealing to me when they are being taken as slots as DLC. We don't even know if there will even be a season 2 of DLC or additional DLC after the season pass (could happen, but it's yet to be "officially" confirmed),so for these regular forms of goku and vegeta to be included...just seems uninteresting.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Yeah well the choices for the first four characters have been fine I suppose. Broly and Bardock always need to be shoe horned in so I can get why they might be there but I don't see why there'd be much excitement for Base Goku and Vegeta when we already see them in the game.

The developers already opted for two other versions of those characters before their Base forms so they're like the leftover versions that they didn't want the first time around.

As for the other thing, yeah Super Saiyan Blue Vegito is pretty much Super Saiyan Blue Goku in a different outfit. Super Saiyan Goku, Super Saiyan Blue Goku, Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black, Bardock, Super Saiyan Blue Vegito and Base Goku....that's six different Goku's for the most part.

If Cooler has his Fifth Form which has a unique look to it then that'll be passable I suppose otherwise yeah it's gonna be a Frieza wannabe.

Android 17...I guess but he's already part of Android 18's move sets so they could have gone with someone more unique.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Yup! After this pack, the rest of DLC will be disappointing if the datamine is correct.

Anyway, can we talk about how SonicFox finally beat GO1, the best player in the world?!

Even though most people here may not follow the fighting game events, this is something still worth of talking about. It happened this past weekend at Combo Breaker 2018.
The rivalry of these two - GO1 (best japanese player) and SonicFox (best usa player) has been the most interesting thing on DB FighterZ high level competition.

I really like both of them as players and seeing them play against each other never fails to entertain me.

The best moment starts at 25:05. SonicFox only had Gotenks while GO1 still had his 3 characters and the way SonicFox turned it around was insane!
He had less meter, he didn't had sparking blast to use and he didn't lose any health. Just pure skill. The crowd got wild when they realized he could it.

What makes me love that comeback even more is that he did it with a normal character.

I usually don't get surprised when I see people doing crazy stuff with Cell, Bardock and Kid Buu because those characters are the most OP characters of the game. Unsurprisingly both of them have at least 2 of those 3 in their team. Now doing something of this extent with a character who isn't OP?! That's fucking impressive! One could say there was some luck, but it's a fact he didn't receive a single hit.

Now I'm expecting GO1 to come back stronger! Between the two, he's still my favourite.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 30, 2018 7:10 am

With XV2 getting more than double the amount of characters it was supposed to then people who aren't happy about Base Goku and Vegeta taking up space shouldn't worry as there'll most likely be 6-8 new characters afterwards.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 am

You're completely missing the point of any good fighting game. You're complaining about the looks and shapes of characters, not the gameplay. Multiple Gokus and Vegetas is not lazy or boring if all of their playstyles are unique and different.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on Zamasu's gameplay?

Here's Vegito's dramatic finish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3NbFqIaYrU
And Trunks's new dramatic finish against Zamasu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ9cITECXE4

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 am

mute_proxy wrote:You're completely missing the point of any good fighting game. You're complaining about the looks and shapes of characters, not the gameplay. Multiple Gokus and Vegetas is not lazy or boring if all of their playstyles are unique and different.
That's complaining about a lack of variety. In a franchise with such a wide range of characters, a game that only has, what will be 32 characters with all the DLC, three different versions of the same characters plus multiple look a likes.

They could have completely different characters to offer a wider visual and character range and still have those characters have unique play styles as well. If anything characters like Dabura and Janemba would be even more unique.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed May 30, 2018 9:52 am

mute_proxy wrote: Anyway, what are people's thoughts on Zamasu's gameplay?

Here's Vegito's dramatic finish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3NbFqIaYrU
And Trunks's new dramatic finish against Zamasu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ9cITECXE4
I'm glad they getting riskier and introducing more gamestyles. Let's see if this one actually sticks, full marks for capturing the character feel while providing something completely unique.
This one is really hard to judge without playing.

Vegetto's dramatic finish is pretty meh. Trunk's one is beautiful. Vegetto's theme is straight out of Guilty Gear.