"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Have you ever played the Marvel vs Capcom series? Guilty Gear series? Street Fighter series?
I've played Street Fighter, it's a poor game where everyone does the same moves over and over and constantly flip around in the air....hmm kinda like FighterZ.
Ok Edgelord, you don't understand fighting games, we get it.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Bullza wrote:
Those games are also pretty repetitive. That's also a weak argument too seeing as FighterZ has auto combos meaning you don't even have to do the work yourself.

Tekken is the only worthwhile fighting game.
Pretty sure having auto-combos doesn't suddenly take every bit of depth out of a fighting game, and even then, manual combos are still there for the player to discover.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:As opposed to something like Xenoverse 2? Aka ultimate spam?
Not opposed to, they both look very repetitive.
VegettoEX wrote:Do not assume you are an expert in something just because you may have watched a video and played one game before; you are not.
I never said I was an expert. I made it abundantly clear that it was based on what I had seen from multiple review videos.
Quebaz wrote:Pretty sure having auto-combos doesn't suddenly take every bit of depth out of a fighting game, and even then, manual combos are still there for the player to discover.
There's no need to have them at all. It's a simple approach that allows lazy players to perform decent combos. Again something like Tekken or Mortal Kombat doesn't hold your hand by letting you have the option for it, you're supposed to get good enough on your own.

Yeah if you do it manually it will be better but that's the only option there should be.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm

I have played the Beta and I have played MVC3U, Tekken 3, Tag Team 1 and 2 as well as Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I'm also a player and huge fan of Soul Calibur (series) and I did not have fun with this game. I thought the sound and graphics were sexy. The general Dragon Ball vibe was great but the game feels dated.
It felt like Budokai 3 in that atmophere felt familar but archaic, a step backwards. Xenoverse 2 feels "progressive" in my opinion because of the RPG elements thrown into the game. But I felt the game was clunky and unresponsive, not to mention it is not fun playing against folks who "know what they are doing" because no matter what button you press they will mop the floor with you without trying. That is true of all fighting games but it still doesn't make it any less annoying.
So in short, this for me personally is just another fighting game, its story mode being the highlight.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Have you ever played the Marvel vs Capcom series? Guilty Gear series? Street Fighter series?
I've played Street Fighter, it's a poor game where everyone does the same moves over and over and constantly flip around in the air....hmm kinda like FighterZ.
If that what u all see then you don't really understand fighting games.
My English is poor .

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Bullza wrote:There's no need to have them at all. It's a simple approach that allows lazy players to perform decent combos. Again something like Tekken or Mortal Kombat doesn't hold your hand by letting you have the option for it, you're supposed to get good enough on your own.

Yeah if you do it manually it will be better but that's the only option there should be.
The auto combos still doesn't change the fact that the lazy players will still have to learn and master other things such as timing, spacing, damange scalling, when and how to punish certain moves, everything frame data related, etc.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:If that what u all see then you don't really fighting games.
I played a lot of Street Fighter 5 just recently, people pick the same 4 or 5 characters over and over again, doing the same few moves and the same strategy of flipping forward and back all around the screen trying to get in the high kick followed by the leg sweep.

I've also played a lot of Tekken 7 recently and it is nowhere remotely as repetitive.

I haven't played FighterZ, I've only seen videos of it and most of the time, regardless of the character it is is the same moves of doing a couple hit ground combo, hitting them into the air and doing a follow up combo, then batting them to the ground.

Watch IGN's latest review and you see that same thing over and over again.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Bullza wrote:
I played a lot of Street Fighter 5 just recently, people pick the same 4 or 5 characters over and over again, doing the same few moves and the same strategy of flipping forward and back all around the screen trying to get in the high kick followed by the leg sweep.

I've also played a lot of Tekken 7 recently and it is nowhere remotely as repetitive.

I haven't played FighterZ, I've only seen videos of it and most of the time, regardless of the character it is is the same moves of doing a couple hit ground combo, hitting them into the air and doing a follow up combo, then batting them to the ground.

Performing an attack is more or less the procedure for any fighter, really.

It's locating / creating an OPENING for an attack that makes or breaks a fighter, imo.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Just as I suspected, the single-player campaign for this game IS a downgrade from the earlier Arcsys games. Too damn short and basic for today's standards. Like I said before, I'm waiting until the price drops, this ain't worth $60 for me. Until then, I'll just watch some pro player matches. They are intense.
Bullza wrote:There's no need to have them at all. It's a simple approach that allows lazy players to perform decent combos. Again something like Tekken or Mortal Kombat doesn't hold your hand by letting you have the option for it, you're supposed to get good enough on your own.
But you can mash your way out and simplify the fatalities in Mortal Kombat and juggle your opponent to death in Tekken 6, Tag 2, & 7.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The auto combos still doesn't change the fact that the lazy players will still have to learn and master other things such as timing, spacing, damange scalling, when and how to punish certain moves, everything frame data related, etc.
Also, the manual players/experts will have to practice predicting moves if the "lazy players" are going to do those auto combos.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm

EXBadguy wrote:But you can mash your way out and simplify the fatalities in Mortal Kombat and juggle your opponent to death in Tekken 6, Tag 2, & 7.
Yeah but the Fatalities do come at the end of the fight as just a cool animation. The juggling is also hard to pull off in Tekken 7 for most players, your average player wouldn't be able to keep you juggled the whole round until you die, being able to do that requires a lot of practice.

It doesn't automatically let you do it.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm

All lobby avatars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... d0v3yHlMNg
Thank god Roshi is not included! There's still chance for him then to be in the DLC! :)

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm

[spoiler]Would Hit, Goku Black, and Future Zamasu be affected by Android 21's Waves from the Story Mode?[/spoiler]

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm

KayDash wrote:All lobby avatars:
Thank god Roshi is not included! There's still chance for him then to be in the DLC! :)
As well as Gero and Cooler. But why is a character having a lobby avatar a guarantee he's NOT dlc and not the other way around?

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
KayDash wrote:All lobby avatars:
As well as Gero and Cooler. But why is a character having a lobby avatar a guarantee he's NOT dlc and not the other way around?
Because the DLC characters will come with their own lobby avatars.
Also a few interesting notes:
- All of those characters are in the game already in some form. (assists, story mode appearence, etc.)
- Except Mr. Satan.
- Considering all that, normal Goku and Vegeta are not lobby avatars. (despite normal Black having one) I'm starting to believe that normal Goku/Vegeta DLC rumor is actually true...
- Zamasu is also not in at all, despite other characters getting multiple costumes. Hm... possible hint toward Merged Zamasu in DLC? Who knows.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Bullza wrote:

I know that combos in Tekken 7 are important.

But you can't possibly win just by doing good combos , especially in other fighting games.

In fact combos are only one aspect of a fighting game.

But still , there are many good combos u can do in figherz manually , those guys at IGN aren't that good at fighting games.
My English is poor .

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm

So, a theory that was debated a long time ago was just confirmed.
[spoiler]Android 21 was the lover of Dr. Gero and their son was the model for Android 16.[/spoiler]
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

The story mode looks like a lot of fun, especially [spoiler]the bad guy segment where Cell, Freeza, Nappa and Ginyu of all people really play off one another pretty well.[/spoiler]
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Bullza wrote:
Quebaz wrote:Pretty sure having auto-combos doesn't suddenly take every bit of depth out of a fighting game, and even then, manual combos are still there for the player to discover.
There's no need to have them at all. It's a simple approach that allows lazy players to perform decent combos. Again something like Tekken or Mortal Kombat doesn't hold your hand by letting you have the option for it, you're supposed to get good enough on your own.

Tekken has always been mashing friendly. Its one of the reasons its done so well, lets you pull off cool looking stuff easily. They also added in a couple of easy preset combos for 7, which you need to learn but some are basically the same as DBFZ and are just mashing one button. MK games also have a few combos that can be done by just mashing a button and has always had the jump in heavy kick as a main choice of attack at lower levels.

But that lower levels part is an important thing to note. All these games put in easy to do attacks to get people playing, the key is to have more advance options that they can work up to that are better to do. Bronze level matches in SFV have plenty of jump in heavy kick, sweep, but you won't be winning EVO with just that strat since all your opponent has to do is anti-air or block and punish. That block and punish part might be one of the issues that the spamming auto combos was seen as much as it was in the beta though. Lot of fighting games have a decent bit of recovery after moves where as DBFZ lets you put on the pressure so much that block and punish isn't as viable an option so when people tried it they got hit by spammed moves. However that doesn't mean you can just spam all day, its just harder to block and punish or you need to use the other counters like back and energy or down and heavy attack. Hopefully the game is set up in such a way that its easy to learn and progress so there doesn't end up being a high risk to doing the better combos instead of just falling back to the auto combos.

There are some decent looking fights on youtube already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zlvHA0kob8
And I would imagine that these guys could come up with even better play once they actually have a practice mode.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Black just roasted Freeza and his golden form. I loved it.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Is the story any good?