"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 pm

KayDash wrote:The other 6 DLC characters, which are not Goku and Vegeta.
Oh yeah I forgot about that! Even Vegito is practically just another Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

So that's Super Saiyan Goku, Super Saiyan Blue Goku, Goku Black, Bardock, Super Saiyan Blue Vegito and Base Goku that are essentially just Goku. Good god.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Fighting games fans that are playing this game and don't know much about Dragon Ball, may be thinking this franchise doesn't have much more characters to offer, which couldn't be more laughable and further from the truth.
Bullza wrote:Looks like there's a lot of people complaining on YouTube and gaming sites about the inclusion of yet another Goku and Vegeta.
I don't think that's surprising at all. The problem is that people will still buy them, either because they already have the season pass or they just like Goku/Vegeta.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Bullza wrote: Oh yeah I forgot about that! Even Vegito is practically just another Super Saiyan Blue Goku.
Practically, except his different appearence, normals, specials, super moves, animations, and gameplay.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:20 pm

As great a fit for the genre the franchise is, and as great a game as FighterZ is, Dragon Ball will always have a few limitations that are just inherent to the property.

One is the lack of viable female characters. Another is the abundance of beam attacks. And probably the biggest is multiple forms of one character.

There's just no way to do this without pissing someone off. If you limit each character to one form then you're excluding big chunks of content out of the game. If you incorporate it all into one character then it throws the game off balance. If you make it a separate character then people complain that its taking up a slot. And if you make it DLC then people complain that you have to spend money on a base form.

I think how they've approached it with this game is the right move, but it is impossible to please everybody.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Bullza wrote:Oh yeah I forgot about that! Even Vegito is practically just another Super Saiyan Blue Goku.
What? No, their gameplays are different man
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Bullza wrote:
KayDash wrote:The other 6 DLC characters, which are not Goku and Vegeta.
Oh yeah I forgot about that! Even Vegito is practically just another Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

So that's Super Saiyan Goku, Super Saiyan Blue Goku, Goku Black, Bardock, Super Saiyan Blue Vegito and Base Goku that are essentially just Goku. Good god.
Do you even play the game? You've done nothing in this thread starting from "meh this game is going to suck" to "meh maybe i'll play it it's all hype" to just outright falsifying info in order to make some ignorant post.

Vegito plays *nothing* like Blue Goku. Or SSJ Goku. Or any other character for that matter. In fact, his play style is one of the more unique in the game.

Bardock plays *nothing* like any Goku.

Goku Black plays *nothing* like any Goku.

I suggest you please go play the game before posting here again.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Them playing all differently doesn't mean diddly squat.

They could have 20 different versions of Goku ranging from him as a Kid to Super Saiyan 4 Goku and they'd all play differently. Nobody would want that though would they? If the next two DLC characters were Super Saiyan God Goku and Turles...that's ok because they'll still play differently?

They could have had other characters who would have played differently as well and not just been another version of Goku so to have some visual variety like Dabura or Toppo or Janemba.

Now we're going to have Base Goku, Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Goku who all look the exact same except for the hair colour. Bardock is Base Goku except with a different costume. Vegito is Super Saiyan Blue Goku with a different costume.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm just indifferent to the Base Saiyans at this point. I've gotten pretty bored with this game, but keep hoping a newer character will bring me back. Zamasu was cool, but the same issues with the game remain.

Still want to see how Base Goku's moveset looks, but I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I can’t say I care much for the addition of Goku and Vegeta in their base forms. Don’t get me wrong, it makes perfect sense for their base forms to be available, but if they weren’t already part of the base roster, they might as well not be included at all. It’s like including a Saibaman and a Cell Jr. as DLCs. As far as new content is concerned, it’s just not very exciting. I would’ve been more interested in characters like Raditz and Zarbon being included.

I guess at the very least, it’s cool that they’re using Vegeta’s appearance from the Saiyan saga as the template for his base form.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Goku | Super Saiyan Goku | Super Cyan Goku | Evil Goku | Dad Goku | Martian Goku | Fusion Goku | aw hell yeah...

Jokes aside, these 2 additions are reaaaaaally not good at this time. The roster is small enough for a 3v3 game as it is, and now 1/6th of it is Goku and Vegeta, with such little differences between them it's ridiculous.

This the first anime game I've ever played where you have to pay extra for base forms of the 2 main protagonists. I honestly regret purchasing the season pass kind of at this point (inb4 "you should've wait to see what you get in the pass, dummy") I bought it before release because it's Dragon Ball, I was gonna be kind of excited for any character, only to find out 3/8 of the pass is characters already in the game. Hurts even worse when FighterZ has these 2, only to see Kefla right under them in the scan in Xenoverse 2, digging the wound even deeper.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Bullza wrote:Looks like there's a lot of people complaining on YouTube and gaming sites about the inclusion of yet another Goku and Vegeta.

I don't know what they were thinking by doing that. This is why you shouldn't buy the Season Pass until you know what you're getting.
We all knew the majority of the West would be disappointed - these characters were targeted for Japan, mainly. Wherever you would go and read news about the leaked roster DLC (before it was datamined) people were quick to dismiss base Goku and Vegeta as DLC characters because they thought it was pointless and stupid to have much more powerful forms in the base game and their weakest forms as paid DLC.

I also think that for a game with a really limited roster (compared to the other recent DB entries), it was a bad move to have so many Gokus and Vegetas. But they're popular, so it is understandable, somewhat.

I hate Saiyan overflow nonetheless. If the S2 DLC will just be 6 saiyans and 2 other characters it will be even more disappointing for me. I fully expect to see Raditz, Caulifa, Kale and Kefla at some point, but please, not all of them together as DLC.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Out of all the DLC so far, I think I'm going to buy base Goku. All this Saiyan DLC is boring though.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm

I’m probably the only person excited for the base forms. When it came to Broly, Bardock, Vegetto, and Zamasu, I did not care at all. None of those characters appeal to me enough to make we want to buy them. If base Goku/Vegeta’s gameplay seems at least decent, I’ll for sure pick them up. I don’t care if they’re the third Goku and Vegeta in the game. That should not be an issue that prevents you from enjoying the gameplay.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 am

Nickolaidas wrote:

I don't know what they were thinking by doing that. This is why you shouldn't buy the Season Pass until you know what you're getting.
We all knew the majority of the West would be disappointed - these characters were targeted for Japan, mainly. Wherever you would go and read news about the leaked roster DLC (before it was datamined) people were quick to dismiss base Goku and Vegeta as DLC characters because they thought it was pointless and stupid to have much more powerful forms in the base game and their weakest forms as paid DLC.
I didn't and don't know that. Gauging the opinion of the wider fandom based off what appears to be the majority of a forum—or forums—has been proven unreliable time and time again. We won't ever get numbers but I'd bet these two will be the most bought characters of the season.

I also don't know that Japanese are so much more receptive to this than "we" are. That supposed leaker claimed such was the case and people have been repeating it ever since, but it just sounds like a lie people want to believe to me.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 am

I guess Gotenks counts as a "Goku Clone" and Trunks Clone because Goten looks like Goku and Kid Trunks is.. well KID Trunks :roll:

Ya know.. I honestly dont get the "omg more clones" complaint. If you understand fighting games in the slightest you'd know that unless undeniably blatant, there's no such thing as "Clones". If you all claim to be Dragon Ball fans you'd know that adding in base incarnations of Goku ( espeacially Goku) and Vegeta could lead to some awesome and interesting ideas. Almost completely different from the other versions of said characters. There's no room for "Giant Characters" in this game at the moment and when I say "No Room" i mean it isn't necessary from a mechanics perspective (Unless ONLY for a semi cenimatic Lv.3 Super), especially for Saiyan/Namek arc Vegeta. We all should know that he has way more going for him than just that.

Its funny because I believe some folks that are complaining are the same ones clamoring for Joke Characters like Arale and Chi-Chi or whatever... which again isn't necessary. This ain't Tenkaichi 3 or Xenoverse, the core premise isn't to add every character under the sun at one time or at all with no real merit.

With the way the game is designed if the Franchise continue's by the time we get to FighterZ 2 or 3 counting villains and fusions we could possibly end up with 12 versions of Goku and 8 versions of Vegeta out what could possibly be a 50 character cast. That would'nt be a bad thing either because a quality developer like Arcys could make it work..

Goku
1. Base
2. SSJ
3. Blue
4. UI
5. Four
6. Kid (DB) Power Pole and kinto'un alone could make him so fun.
7. Tullece ( Because he and Goku have the same face yet fight nothing alike)
8. Bardock ( Because he and Goku have the same face but fight nothing alike)
9. Black ( Because he and Goku have the same face yet fight nothing alike)
10. Vegetto Blue/SSJ - One could be just a costume for the other, unless they go the Heroes route and give "Xeno" Vegetto SSJ with Four as an install but per usual ( Because he's part Goku and thus fights just like him)
11. Gogeta Four - Honestly if they want to have fun they could give SSJ4 Gogeta "Soul Punisher" and just add SSJ as an alternate costume. but again ( He's part Goku and thus will fight the same)
12. SSJ Gogeta ( see 11 ).

Vegeta
1. Base
2. SSJ
3. Blue
4. Four
5. Majin.. Because Atomic Blast and Final Explosion. Oh and energy rings.. Honestly with "Majin" as a skin for SSJ Vegeta, these three moves could easily be split between his SSJ, Blue and Four forms.. The damn game has what ifs for Kami's sake so why not.
6. Baby Vegeta (Its possessed Vegeta)
7. Vegetto ( See Number 10 for Goku )
8. Gogeta ( See 11 for Goku )

Obviously numbers 7 -12 for Goku and 5 - 8 for Vegeta are sarcasm because people love to exaggerate when they don't get they're way or don't understand something (Though I'm serious about the Majin Vegeta split).

I made those list to show just how much Goku and Vegeta are gonna dominate the rosters regardless, going by extreme standards n all. Because even if you add

1. Janemba
2. 19 or Gero
3. Dabura

The three most unique play style characters.. on paper anyway.. Oh and Roshi too...

4. Jiren
5. Kefla
6. Toppo
7. Caulifla
8. Kale
9. Cabba
10. Champa
11. Tullece
13. Garlick Jr.
15. Frost
16. Slug
17. Raditz
18. Bojack
19. Yi Shenlong
20. Su Shenlong
21. San Shenlong
22. Super 17
23. New Broli

Though I trust ARCs to not make it so.. on a bare bones level all of these guys are gonna play like a mixed combonation of already existing characters in the game anyway.

So out side of Aesthetics ( Which all games before this not including Super DBZ where mostly built for, though they are important) why on Earth are you guys complaining again.. Because your favorite guy didn't and probably wont make the cut for this game?.. c'mon yall. :eh:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 am

Bullza wrote:Them playing all differently doesn't mean diddly squat.

They could have 20 different versions of Goku ranging from him as a Kid to Super Saiyan 4 Goku and they'd all play differently. Nobody would want that though would they? If the next two DLC characters were Super Saiyan God Goku and Turles...that's ok because they'll still play differently?

They could have had other characters who would have played differently as well and not just been another version of Goku so to have some visual variety like Dabura or Toppo or Janemba.

Now we're going to have Base Goku, Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Goku who all look the exact same except for the hair colour. Bardock is Base Goku except with a different costume. Vegito is Super Saiyan Blue Goku with a different costume.
Well obviously that's an extreme scenario but this all dives back into the infamous Capcom "functions" discussion, which is the debate between the gameplay function and the aesthetic. The 3D games have trended towards the aesthetic, sacrificing individual gameplay for a very wide range of characters. This game is trending towards the other end of the scale, by focusing more on a smaller group of characters but justifying it by doing more to make each play unique even if they don't look particularly unique.

But it's not cut and dry, because it is easily argued that having so many forms of Goku and Vegeta is aesthetic as well. The fear is that the different versions will only look different rather than playing different. The hope is that more of Dragon Ball's history is referenced in a way that expands the gameplay of the game. It depends on where you draw the line between what is a clone and isn't. I've seen Bardock called a clone which is ridiculous, because until Base Goku is released he has absolutely nothing in common with Goku either physically or functionally. The fact that he looks like Goku doesn't matter because (until now) Goku wasn't playable in his base form so his resemblance to Bardock is minimal. So that's an extreme stance against clones, linked not by the actual gameplay or aesthetic of the character but by their connection in the lore.

It's just another situation where there's no right answer. Personally I think we're getting it pretty good. Out of 32 characters there are three forms of Goku and three forms of Vegeta and all of them at least seem as distinct from each other as is realistically possible. I would not miss the Blue versions for a second, mostly due to my apathy towards Super, but these upcoming forms seem both visually distinct and mechanically distinct from what came before. Would I perhaps make these a lower priority than other characters? Sure. Will it matter when development on the game closes and we've got 40+ characters in the bank? I don't think so.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:59 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote: Well obviously that's an extreme scenario
It really isn't though. Remember Final Bout where there were six different Gokus (plus Vegetto, technically making 7)?
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote: Well obviously that's an extreme scenario
It really isn't though. Remember Final Bout where there were six different Gokus (plus Vegetto, technically making 7)?
Six isn't twenty, but I would also call Final Bout an extreme scenario.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:Well obviously that's an extreme scenario
Wouldn't that be Extreme Butōden? Bad puns aside, that had 4 Gokus, 4 Gohans and... 2 Vegetas playable.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 am

If every following DLC will have 8 characters, and two of them will be clones, and one of the clones is Goku, then that means we will have 17 more Gokus for the the 20 (3 already in), which will come with 102 (6x17) original characters.
I can totally live with that.