"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm

excelhedge wrote:
Calling me a "smartass" not a insult? Yep. Totally not insulting.
I'm describing (and trying to discourage) your attitude and tone, not insulting you. Phrases like "Are you serious right now?", "Keep being in Denial" and "I'm done" fall into smartass category. Now back on topic, or let's just end it already.
Last edited by mute_proxy on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 pm

excelhedge wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
excelhedge wrote:So we have
Gohan from Super and High School Videl from Z

If there are no quotes in the game making fun of this I swear.

Also, I'm kinda disappointed Videl doesn't have her Super design as the Alt. to match up with Gohan.
The Gohan we have is also from Z. All of his moves are from the Buu saga, he just happens to be wearing the same orange gi in the ToP again
All the Characters from that are in the story mode are from Super. It's fairly obvious from the story and from the fight introductions and outros.
in fact by the chronological location of the story and the characters the game should be called dragon ball super fighters

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 am

This discussion reminds me of when those glimpses of Hit and Goku Black got leaked before they were announced and a bunch of people got really angry with the idea that Super characters would be in the game. "No, those are clearly Kid Buu and Ginyu! It's called Dragon Ball FighterZeeee. It's FighterZEEEEE!" And it's like, come on dude, Golden Freeza was in the very first trailer. Yes, I know that was technically a Z movie, shut up, they're clearly open to drawing from new material.

I think it's pretty obvious that Super is the default setting for this game, based on dialogue and most of the costumes. Tien has his Super outfit on for christ's sake. The only reason 18 doesn't (and she's the only glaring example I could think of apart from villains who are dead at that point in the story) is she was probably developed before the Tournament of Power introduced the tracksuit and ranger outfit. Ranger 17 incorporates plenty of moves from Z, but is clearly the character as he was in Super. That doesn't mean they don't fudge it sometimes; I have Goku and Freeza on a team and their dialogue with each other implies a post-Res F relationship dynamic (complimenting each other on training) but they'll still act like they're meeting each other for the first time in opening dialogue or the Namek dramatic intro because if you've got iconic material, why not use it? Adult Gohan talks about being late a conference in his intros, and one of his responses to Krillin is asking for advice on how to raise a baby. It's pretty clear where this Gohan is from.

On an unrelated topic, do we think the person who designed Jiren's combo challenge #9 was having a bad day, or are they just a bad person in general?

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Kataphrut wrote:This discussion reminds me of when those glimpses of Hit and Goku Black got leaked before they were announced and a bunch of people got really angry with the idea that Super characters would be in the game. "No, those are clearly Kid Buu and Ginyu! It's called Dragon Ball FighterZeeee. It's FighterZEEEEE!" And it's like, come on dude, Golden Freeza was in the very first trailer. Yes, I know that was technically a Z movie, shut up, they're clearly open to drawing from new material.

I think it's pretty obvious that Super is the default setting for this game, based on dialogue and most of the costumes. Tien has his Super outfit on for christ's sake. The only reason 18 doesn't (and she's the only glaring example I could think of apart from villains who are dead at that point in the story) is she was probably developed before the Tournament of Power introduced the tracksuit and ranger outfit. Ranger 17 incorporates plenty of moves from Z, but is clearly the character as he was in Super. That doesn't mean they don't fudge it sometimes; I have Goku and Freeza on a team and their dialogue with each other implies a post-Res F relationship dynamic (complimenting each other on training) but they'll still act like they're meeting each other for the first time in opening dialogue or the Namek dramatic intro because if you've got iconic material, why not use it? Adult Gohan talks about being late a conference in his intros, and one of his responses to Krillin is asking for advice on how to raise a baby. It's pretty clear where this Gohan is from.

On an unrelated topic, do we think the person who designed Jiren's combo challenge #9 was having a bad day, or are they just a bad person in general?
the bold bit sounds a bit angry in itself.

I was pretty confident as content was being revealed that it was a Z What-If story given the Z future trunks, the sheer amount of Z villains, Teen Gohan, and most of the content being pre super in terms of new. I saw differently when they dropped Hit and Black. The Z bit and the Z centric start seemed to be the point of contention.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:This discussion reminds me of when those glimpses of Hit and Goku Black got leaked before they were announced and a bunch of people got really angry with the idea that Super characters would be in the game. "No, those are clearly Kid Buu and Ginyu! It's called Dragon Ball FighterZeeee. It's FighterZEEEEE!" And it's like, come on dude, Golden Freeza was in the very first trailer. Yes, I know that was technically a Z movie, shut up, they're clearly open to drawing from new material.

I was pretty confident as content was being revealed that it was a Z What-If story given the Z future trunks, the sheer amount of Z villains, Teen Gohan, and most of the content being pre super in terms of new. I saw differently when they dropped Hit and Black. The Z bit and the Z centric start seemed to be the point of contention.
Not angry, just frustrated because the argument got old after a while. After Golden Freeza you had the Blues with Goku using Blue Kaioken, Tien in his Super outfit, that Z-stamp of Super-era Trunks that was in the first beta. Of course they were going to lead with Z because it's the most recognisable and characters like Teen Gohan and Cell are definitive of the entire franchise. But at the same time, it was always clear they were going to capitalise on the new stuff as well. Hit and Black just cemented it.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 am

excelhedge wrote:
Jord wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
The story mode is a non canon story made with the assets at hand, which in this case involves Z characters (adjusting the story to seem like they belong in Super). None of the cast I mentioned use the same moveset in Super. They were not designed based on the story mode's needs, it's a fighting game foremostly, not an rpg. Adding remarks like "are you serious?" and "in denial" won't make you sound more credible either.
To add to this, the overwhelming majority of characters that is featured in both series have their trademark 'Z' costumes (or in Ginyu's case, body)
An easy decision since at least for now, the Z brand is much more recognized than Super's.
Sure ingore the fact that the same "signature" costumes also appear in Super or that Super in suppossed to that place shortly after Z's Buu Saga. How about the humongous fact that Toei has pushing to marketing Super instead of Z to the point that you no longer see "Z" on any merchandise.

Since your basing it soley on movesets tell me what moves are so exclusive to characters in Z that they can't do in Super?

Keep being in Denial. I'm done. Cuz I'm not gonna spam the thread with this argument.
If Toei was all in on marketing Super instead of Z the upcoming Project Z game would have been a Super game with a Super storyline. It isn't.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 am

Kataphrut wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

Not angry, just frustrated because the argument got old after a while. After Golden Freeza you had the Blues with Goku using Blue Kaioken, Tien in his Super outfit, that Z-stamp of Super-era Trunks that was in the first beta. Of course they were going to lead with Z because it's the most recognisable and characters like Teen Gohan and Cell are definitive of the entire franchise. But at the same time, it was always clear they were going to capitalise on the new stuff as well. Hit and Black just cemented it.
I get you man, dont worry. I started to lean on some Super content coming when we got kaioken blue in a super, but I didnt think we'd see much. There were people saying TOP content like Jiren would be coming in launch or season 1 dlc and that just didnt look very likely. I figured in time we'd see it, but not at launch

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:26 am

I wish they would give some alternate costumes to the existing characters, instead of palette swaps. As far as I'm aware, only Videl has been confirmed to have one, right?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:I wish they would give some alternate costumes to the existing characters, instead of palette swaps. As far as I'm aware, only Videl has been confirmed to have one, right?
The fact that there are many more entries than DLC characters in the Steam page gives me the impression that music themes, stages and outfits are going to be sold in this pack.

Anyone knows if this month's JUMP magazine will show the third DLC character?

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 am

Jord wrote: If Toei was all in on marketing Super instead of Z the upcoming Project Z game would have been a Super game with a Super storyline. It isn't.
It took them a good while to go full-force with it (both domestically and overseas), but Bandai Namco (not Toei, they only deal with the animated side of things) has been pushing Super's presence within their published video games since Xenoverse, Dokkan Battle, and Heroes (to name a few). Likewise, Bandai has done the same merchandise wise, even importing some of their Z, GT or Heroes-era products under the Super brand name. There's even a popular competitive card game called "Dragon Ball Super Card Game".

As a result, I don't blame Kataphrut and, to a lesser extent, excelhedge's frustrations with downplaying Super's presence in current and future products. At the very least, FighterZ is a "general Dragon Ball Franchise" game, much like the Xenoverse series.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 pm

For anyone interested, PSN is having a Bandai Namco sale right now, and a bunch of FighterZ stuff is included.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - $23.99 (60% off)
Dragon Ball FighterZ: FighterZ Edition - $47.49 (50% off)
FighterZ Pass - $17.49 (50% off)
Goku - $2.99 (40% off)
Vegeta - $2.99 (40% off)
Vegito (SSGSS) - $2.99 (40% off)
Android 17 - $2.99 (40% off)
Zamasu (Fused) - $2.99 (40% off)
Bardock - $2.99 (40% off)
Cooler - $2.99 (40% off)
Broly - $2.99 (40% off)

The only major things of note I noticed not on sale were the Music Packs and the new FighterZ pass. I'll likely be nabbing the Pass myself this weekend (or next maybe - the site says the sale lasts until March 5th, but the original article I read said until March 1st, so not sure on that) since I don't have it yet, and that's a lot more manageable than the previous pricing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Jord wrote: If Toei was all in on marketing Super instead of Z the upcoming Project Z game would have been a Super game with a Super storyline. It isn't.
To be fair, Super lacks any real exploration unlike DB. Super’s arcs are very disconnected in north story and location, unlike DB. Plus, this game seems to kinda be set to release this year of all years in relation to DBZ’s 30 anniversary.

But the MAIN flaw with your statement is that Bandai Namco and Shueisha handle the games. Not Toei.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 pm

When do you guys think this game will get a sequel? Part of my feels that after this, Arc will just move on to another anime and then another and wont come back to DB.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:33 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:When do you guys think this game will get a sequel? Part of my feels that after this, Arc will just move on to another anime and then another and wont come back to DB.
FighterZ has been too much of a success to not get a sequel eventually. Although I could see them wait until the next console generation and keeping the support for FighterZ going until then.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Lek wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:When do you guys think this game will get a sequel? Part of my feels that after this, Arc will just move on to another anime and then another and wont come back to DB.
FighterZ has been too much of a success to not get a sequel eventually. Although I could see them wait until the next console generation and keeping the support for FighterZ going until then.
Same here. I can see Arc (as long as Bamco is willing) to go with this as long as Guilty Gear. It's clear they're die hard fans - heck, the engine ARC currently uses looks like it was MADE with Dragon Ball in mind.

I don't see them making this game and never making another one. Especially with the huge praise both ARC and Bamco got for making this.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:49 pm

I will be up for more story mode chapters because there is a lot of stuff that they can do with it seeing how characters like Trunks and Hit didn't show up in the story mode.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:41 pm

So Fighterz will be returning to Evo this year, but won't be played on the Sunday despite being the biggest game last year. Could this be part of some agenda to stop it stealing thunder? Or maybe it's connected to the licensing issue from a while back? In case Evo gets a TV deal for example.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 pm

There's probably a bunch of reasons. The main ones I assume are: it's duration(DB Fighterz takes a long time, Bandai not dishing out money, not having a big announcement. They might also be predicting a much smaller numbers of players, I doubt it beats Street Fighter and SSB Ultimate this year.

I don't see what agenda there might be? If that was the case the game won't even at EVO...

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm

LightBing wrote:There's probably a bunch of reasons. The main ones I assume are: it's duration(DB Fighterz takes a long time, Bandai not dishing out money, not having a big announcement. They might also be predicting a much smaller numbers of players, I doubt it beats Street Fighter and SSB Ultimate this year.

I don't see what agenda there might be? If that was the case the game won't even at EVO...
What makes you think it won't beat Street Fighter again this year? By agenda I was thinking they might be trying to stop it outshining SFV AE by having it end a day early, seeing as how Evo has historically been SF centered and organized by SF players. Like how last year SFV AE still got the final slot despite being less popular than Fighterz.

But like you said there's probably a bunch of reasons, like the long matches in Fighterz taking a lot of time. Maybe they're thinking people won't have the patience to watch another game after sitting through Fighterz.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:42 pm

FighterZ got those numbers because it created an unique type of hype, it has stabilized since. Street Fighter is a much bigger competitive game, it has history and much more money poured into it.

I don't think last year snub as the last game is part of some conspiracy, EVO doesn't choose sides it chooses money for the most part. That said DB FighterZ is definitely a Sunday game, but they might be going with a different strategy and wanting to make Saturday matter more, curious to see the number we pull compared to Sunday games this year.

Honestly I think the main reason is time, TV deals need schedules to run perfectly and the FGC community is know for running everything late and DB being such a long game doesn't help.