"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:I dont know about Gero being popular but there's also a fanbase for Dabura.
I'm pretty sure most of Dabura's fanbase came from the lore built around him, without him even appearing, in games like Online, Heroes and Xenoverse.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:11 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Asura wrote:
precita wrote:

Bullshit.

Nappa is no more iconic than Raditz, and I've always liked Raditz he does have a fanbase.

Raditz's whole dirty fighting and wimping out can easily make a command command counter character.

I dont know about Gero being popular but there's also a fanbase for Dabura.

I don't know much about fan-bases but personally I much prefer Raditz to Nappa too.

Nappa comes off as the dumb but strong muscular type. Not much to his character.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Are people confusing characters being current with characters who have been popularized for decades? Hit has only existed since like...late 2015/early 2016. He's only been around in Dragonball fandom for 2 years. He's also barely in the series, only in two tournament arcs where his actual fights went on for about 3 eps each in both, Then an inbetween filler with Goku. People like him because he's the first new cool strong character in Super.

That doesn't compare to iconic villains who were a major part of the show during DBZ and existed since the 90's and are a part of the plot. I can't believe we've gotten to the point where people think Super characters are even remotely relevant compared to the main DBZ villains. As I said before, back anytime before 2015 nobody would have taken a double take over characters like Nappa, Ginyu, or Radditz, Dabura, etc. being included in a fighter.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 pm

While I agree about Raditz not being the most exciting or unique character in the DBZ lore, if you look at Extreme Butoden (which is FighterZ's predecessor), Raditz can be an unique character with it's own personality. But they can go even further in FighterZ, and give him a scouter, that automatically measures, and blows up, when an opponent does a level 3. (without effecting a gameplay, but as a cool feature) They can also give him a proper two-way Double Sunday.
But I'm also fine with not having him on the roster though...
precita wrote:Are people confusing characters being current with characters who have been popularized for decades? Hit has only existed since like...late 2015/early 2016. He's only been around in Dragonball fandom for 2 years. He's also barely in the series, only in two tournament arcs where his actual fights went on for about 3 eps each in both, Then an inbetween filler with Goku. People like him because he's the first new cool strong character in Super.
Also the fact that they were in just a few Dragon Ball games before. They are new, and exciting, and people are getting tired of getting the same characters and storyline again and again. This is why they want Super characters, and why Xenoverse characters and even Android #21 are popular

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm

It's pretty hard to say which secondary villain is more relevant when compared with others. Everyone has a different opinion.

What Arc System should and I think are doing is sort them by playability potential and how much material they offer. Ginyu isn't just one character, they made him 5 while offering a unique play style. That right there is a win-win choice.

Nappa fills the "big and slow" role and apparently adds the "hit like a motherf***er" archetype. The only other big character with any chance to be in the game is Broly and I'm starting to think he's perfect as a dlc character. They also added Saibaman to him, that's unique I believe.
I'm bias because I put Nappa above many characters, he has a wide range of moves and was absolutely impactfull in the story murdering almost all the heroes.
I think they made the correct choice.

Raditz is pretty boring, it would be a challenge for Arc System to make him unique. They would have to make up a play-style for him, I don't think he's worth the trouble for them.

Dabra has a few unique moves like the spit and his sword, you could easily complement him by adding Babidi and his servants to his move set(Majin Vegeta :think: ). I think he has decent chances, if Arc System continues their strategy of incorporating characters as assists. You could scratch off the early Boo Arc with just him.

Dr.Gero is a hard one. He didn't really fought and his only unique trait is absorbing energy, you could add #19 to his move set. That maybe isn't enough. #21 is in the game(I hope as a playable character) and that might either make him a shoe in or completely remove him from the operation. I have no idea about his chances.

I doubt any one of them will take the place of Hit, Zamasu and Beerus. They are competing among themselves, Nappa and Ginyu won the first round.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 pm

LightBing wrote: Dr.Gero is a hard one. He didn't really fought and his only unique trait is absorbing energy, you could add #19 to his move set. That maybe isn't enough. #21 is in the game(I hope as a playable character) and that might either make him a shoe in or completely remove him from the operation. I have no idea about his chances.
Gero could be amazing. You could trade 1-2 super meters to have him jump in front of your current character whenever your opponent fires a lvl 1-3 super, causing him to absorb its energy and jump back out, essentially protecting you from damage.

Or maybe his lvl 1 super would be him draining your opponent's energy, unless the opposing player is willing to sacrifice 2 super meters to have a benched character tag in and kick Gero away, saving his player from damage.

The possibilities with Gero (and 19) are endless.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:41 pm

LightBing wrote: Raditz is pretty boring, it would be a challenge for Arc System to make him unique. They would have to make up a play-style for him, I don't think he's worth the trouble for them.
Check my previous post, they made him pretty interesting in Extreme Butoden. His low-down personality and pettiness comes through his moves just fine. And it's all based on the anime.

Of course, characters like Hit or Dabura just kick his ass in uniqueness.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Gero could be amazing. You could trade 1-2 super meters to have him jump in front of your current character whenever your opponent fires a lvl 1-3 super, causing him to absorb its energy and jump back out, essentially protecting you from damage.
Err… #18's assisst move.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:55 pm

LightBing wrote:Nappa fills the "big and slow" role and apparently adds the "hit like a motherf***er" archetype. The only other big character with any chance to be in the game is Broly and I'm starting to think he's perfect as a dlc character. They also added Saibaman to him, that's unique I believe.
I'm bias because I put Nappa above many characters, he has a wide range of moves and was absolutely impactfull in the story murdering almost all the heroes.
I think they made the correct choice.
Just curious but in terms of what, character choice and preferance or actual ranking?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:07 pm

KayDash wrote:Check my previous post, they made him pretty interesting in Extreme Butoden. His low-down personality and pettiness comes through his moves just fine. And it's all based on the anime.

Checked that iteration and he seems to be counter-based? Even if it worked it doesn't fit with the character, he was a beast and only bothered blocking Goku's Kamehameha and dodging Piccolo's Makankasappo. The rest of the time he was blitzing and effortlessly kicking their asses.
I rather not have him in the game if he's going to be discharacterised beyond the acceptable. Having Raditz as a counter-based character just seems wrong to me.

I don't doubt Arc System could make him interesting, the disadvantage is that they would have more work with him than with other characters.
Olympian wrote:Just curious but in terms of what, character choice and preferance or actual ranking?
Both. In regards to this inclusion in the game he was in my top 3 of most wanted characters together with Tenshinhan and SSJ3 Gotenks.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 pm

LightBing wrote:
KayDash wrote:Check my previous post, they made him pretty interesting in Extreme Butoden. His low-down personality and pettiness comes through his moves just fine. And it's all based on the anime.

Checked that iteration and he seems to be counter-based? Even if it worked it doesn't fit with the character, he was a beast and only bothered blocking Goku's Kamehameha and dodging Piccolo's Makankasappo. The rest of the time he was blitzing and effortlessly kicking their asses.
I rather not have him in the game if he's going to be discharacterised beyond the acceptable. Having Raditz as a counter-based character just seems wrong to me.
Discharacterized? Please rewatch the fight and mind the flow the fight has (who starts what and the response is). Raditz only initiated a sequence once and it was this move:

The most of the time his moves were a response to moves by either Goku, Piccolo, or Gohan, whether it was dodging or counter-striking.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:Gero could be amazing. You could trade 1-2 super meters to have him jump in front of your current character whenever your opponent fires a lvl 1-3 super, causing him to absorb its energy and jump back out, essentially protecting you from damage.
Err… #18's assisst move.
Well yeah, but Gero could ADD to your Super meter via the absorption - as long as you time it right.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 pm

If people react this way to Nappa/Ginyu, I'd hate to see the metldown if Mr. Satan or Videl are announced playable.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:13 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
LightBing wrote:

Discharacterized? Please rewatch the fight and mind the flow the fight has (who starts what and the response is). Raditz only initiated a sequence once and it was this move:

The most of the time his moves were a response to moves by either Goku, Piccolo, or Gohan, whether it was dodging or counter-striking.
Yeah, well I don't mind Raditz, I don't think he should be the counter-striking character(I say Ultimate Gohan's the better contender), but I think he should be more of a "keep away" ki range type, as 90% of the moves can involve the lightning beam attacks and the Saturday Crush. Vegeta ain't really much of a ki range type, as he has melee specials too.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:38 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote: Discharacterized? Please rewatch the fight and mind the flow the fight has (who starts what and the response is). Raditz only initiated a sequence once and it was this move:

I counted how many times each party took the initiative. I didn't include Piccolo's Makankasappo and when Raditz kicked Goku's ass after grabbing his tail since these aren't head-to-head sequences. This all in manga, I don't remember if the anime added much to the fight.

Raditz - 3
Goku/Piccolo - 5

Yes Raditz reacts more than attacks, that doesn't make him a counter-fighter in my opinion. By that logic there are numerous counter-based fighters in Dragon Ball. This is just the display of a overwhelming stronger fighter who doesn't end the fight immediately, it's common in Dragon Ball: Tenshinhan vs Cyborg Tao, Yamcha vs Shen, Goku vs Nappa, Goku vs Jheese and Butta, SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell, probably something in the Boo Arc but that one isn't fresh in my mind and the most recent one Goku vs Hit.
precita wrote:If people react this way to Nappa/Ginyu, I'd hate to see the metldown if Mr. Satan or Videl are announced playable.
I hope Arc System isn't scared of giving us a joke character fearing a bad reaction from the public, I could also see Bandai pressuring them to include "cool" characters.

I would love Mr.Satan to be in. He's in my top 2 candidates for a joke character, him and the Great Saiyaman. Other possibilities are Arale and Jaco.

Videl really doesn't have a place in this game, I mean her special ability is flying...

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Asura wrote:
precita wrote:

Bullshit.

Nappa is no more iconic than Raditz, and I've always liked Raditz he does have a fanbase.

Raditz's whole dirty fighting and wimping out can easily make a command command counter character.

I dont know about Gero being popular but there's also a fanbase for Dabura.
Raditz is treated as a joke by the entire fanbase. He's treated as a joke by the show/manga too. Goku's brother, but never ever brought up again after he dies (only like 2 episodes after he's introduced too). Just because he was the first DBZ villain doesn't make him an iconic character that everyone wants to play as/with. By contrast, Nappa single-handedly killed every single Z fighter except for Krillin & Gohan, and was Vegeta's partner and lasted a lot longer than Raditz did. Nappa has always been treated as being more important and iconic than Raditz.

No one wants to play as Raditz when they could be playing as Vegito, Gotenks, Ultimate Gohan, Kid Buu, Buuhan, Hit, Beerus, Mr. Satan, etc. etc. etc. if this game had a roster the size of Raging Blast or something it wouldn't be an issue, but in a roster where there's most likely only 24 characters from Z and Super, there are a lot better characters that can fill those slots other than Raditz or Gero or Dabura who are such minor villains that people really don't care that much about.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 pm

I think your argument is closely threading that point when you don`t speak for the entire fanbase. Regardless where you don`t see the majority claiming for him, that doesn`t mean you get to say nobody does.

I rather he was than either SSB despite knowing he`s not an inch of that popularity or demand for recent material. Then again, I rather have Arale or Hit or Roshi or even Boss Rabitt than any more Saiyans in the game, so what do I know.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Dimps did pretty well by Radditz in Xenoverse, I think, going the low-power, high-utility route. So that's one positive precedent.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 am

Outside of the obvious older Gohan and another Boo, the only other character I actually expect is Gotenks.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 am

I think Videl has a place in this game, since her purely melee style would be unique