"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:30 am

I hope Raditz makes it in, but I feel like if they had him lined up, he'd have been announced alongside Nappa instead of Ginyu. The only others I could see him going alongside are a Dragon Ball character like Kid Goku or Roshi, since he's close enough to that era, or alongside Bardock and Broly, who usually get paired together as the popular spinoff Saiyans.

With the three most important Buu saga characters confirmed and the three most important Super characters looking incredibly likely, I'm pretty much good for this game. The only characters I'm really hoping for now are Mr Satan and/or Videl. Anything else would just be "oh that's nice" until we get to the DLC. For that I'm predicting movies (Bardock and Broly, or Janemba if those two make it into base), GT (a Super Saiyan 4 and Omega Shenron) and Tournament of Power (Jiren and one or both of the Saiyan girls). We could also get some wacky crossover ala the Ninja Turtles in injustice 2. Luffy perhaps? Arale? Chrono?

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:its cool, I'm used to seeing Raditz get flack for being 'saibamen' level and being 'weak.' never liked the arguement cause if it was all about power we wouldnt see frieza or cell over Buu
Cell and Freeza lasted a lot longer than he did so it's not just about power. they also had a bigger impact.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:27 am

Olympian wrote:The original series was never that popular? You mean as popular as Super is now?
Just in general, worldwide, in comparison to Z and Super.
Claiming the "average player" (average in what way?) would just rather play with the new toys is neither here or there. New toys are current appreciation but anyone who plays this because he or she knows of the franchise would equally point out at the exclusion of some of the more originally iconic characters of the staple.
There's tens of other games with these characters. They all have Nappa, Tien, Android 18 etc. The game is already full of just Dragon Ball Z characters. People can live without the Saibamen being in one game.

Meanwhile the only console game the Super characters have been in is Xenoverse 2, as DLC at that, meaning most wouldn't have even played as them anyway. So this would be the chance to offer the first or one of the first experiences with these characters for most players.

With how many characters the game is going to have and the sheer amount of Super characters available it would be nothing but a sham if they only saved them for DLC knowing that people will pay for it because that's mainly who they'd want to play as.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 am

Kataphrut wrote:or alongside Bardock and Broly, who usually get paired together as the popular spinoff Saiyans.
You mean Turles, right?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 am

We have 20 characters(not counting #21) revealed so far and a bit more than 2 months to go.
We should have two more magazine issues for spoilers. I say at least 4 more characters since they usually reveal two at a time, this month being an exception.

The obvious classic characters are all in. Super Boo and Kid Gohan out due to redundancy. Maximilian mentioned they didn't want any joke characters so no Mr.Satan or Great Saiyaman.

Fair to assume we're getting Super characters, they didn't put the Blue Saiyans in the main game not to have some of their opponents and we have those clues from the last reveal. Beerus, Hit and Goku Black are the most obvious ones. Maybe they hold back Goku Black for the DLC.

Which leaves a couple of spots open, initially I thought Fringe villains like Dabra or Raditz would make it in. But they already revealed the Boo Arc people, it would be weird to reveal them now. Maybe Vegetto and Dabra together would make sense? I don't know, it could really be anything. It would also make sense to hold back Vegetto and release as DLC as Blue Vegetto.

Another option is the obligatory movie characters like Bardock and Broly. Although I would expect them to be DLC material.

DLC characters I see them focusing on movie characters, Super characters specifically ToP ones and maybe throw in someone they missed or a wacky character in.

Based on what I said here is what I expect:
#21 - No idea, probably something related to Dragon Ball Z.
#22 - No Idea, probably something related to Dragon Ball Z.
#23 - Beerus
#24 - Hit
#25 - Android #21: I would be shocked if she wasn't playable, they might be hiding her and not reveal it at all.

DLC #1 - Broly
DLC #2 - Bardock
DLC #3 - Blue Vegetto
DLC #4 - Goku Black/Zamasu
DLC #5 - Unexpected Character(Something like Dabra if he's not in the main game)
DLC #6 - Master Roshi
DLC #7 - Toppo
DLC #8 - Jiren

This is what I'm waiting for. I would be pretty happy with this with the exception of Bardock, I don't think he would add much and another Goku clone wouldn't be fun. Fingers crossed for Master Roshi.
Last edited by LightBing on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am

sintzu wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:its cool, I'm used to seeing Raditz get flack for being 'saibamen' level and being 'weak.' never liked the arguement cause if it was all about power we wouldnt see frieza or cell over Buu
Cell and Freeza lasted a lot longer than he did so it's not just about power. they also had a bigger impact.
I'm not saying they didn't but characters being weaker than one another was never a sound arguement considering how scaling has gone in this series. If Raditz shouldnt be in because he's weak, then where does the qualifying threshold start and end? Thats all I'm saying

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am

I think we're going to have 24 on the base roster, so here's what I see:

The next few reveals: Beerus, Hit, Black w/Zamasu assist, playable #21

DLC characters: Broly, Bardock, Janemba, Jiren, Kid Goku, Roshi, Caulifla, Vegito

They can go anywhere with the DLC.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 am

LightBing wrote:We have 21 characters(not counting #21) revealed so far and a bit more than 2 months to go.
We should have two more magazine issues for spoilers. I say at least 4 more characters since they usually reveal two at a time, this month being an exception.

The obvious classic characters are all in. Super Boo and Kid Gohan out due to redundancy. Maximilian mentioned they didn't want any joke characters so no Mr.Satan or Great Saiyaman.
Where did Max say this? Good news for a hater of gag characters like me.

And if you don't count #21 then it's only 20.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 am

Simere wrote:
LightBing wrote:We have 21 characters(not counting #21) revealed so far and a bit more than 2 months to go.

Where did Max say this? Good news for a hater of gag characters like me.

And if you don't count #21 then it's only 20.
You're right 20 characters so far.

I'm pretty sure it was on one of his streams, maybe a month ago.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Olympian wrote:
Bullza wrote:
The original series was never that popular and GT is widely despised. Super is popular and it's current.

In a game that's probably gonna have 30 odd characters they could have made a good portion of them from Super because I guarantee the average player would be more likely to want to play as Hit or Goku Black or Zamasu as opposed to Krillin, Tien or Yamcha.
The original series was never that popular? You mean as popular as Super is now? That`s a comparison you just can`t make. Different times, no widespread social media or internet. But as far as I have read the OG series start to become real popular with the inclusion of the Bodukai format. The "Zee" part of the anime is definatly the most popular. The franchise was at its peak.

Claiming the "average player" (average in what way?) would just rather play with the new toys is neither here or there. New toys are current appreciation but anyone who plays this because he or she knows of the franchise would equally point out at the exclusion of some of the more originally iconic characters of the staple.

Anyhow, it`s a fruitless argument. It`s obvious they`ll milk the current interest in Super with the DLC. Just remember, older characters were once new.
they're blatantly holding off for DLC to ensure we buy it.
The DLC is that last incentive to close the deal, that`s nothing new, the benefit is that so far they showed what looks a great game with a cool roster with all the classic deals first. Are you insinuating that nobody cares about the classic characters?
Last edited by Olympian on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:01 am

Bullza wrote:Just in general, worldwide, in comparison to Z and Super.
Right, but you do get DB still got popular way before "Z" hit? Both manga and the anime.
Bullza wrote:There's tens of other games with these characters. They all have Nappa, Tien, Android 18 etc. The game is already full of just Dragon Ball Z characters. People can live without the Saibamen being in one game.
Standard practise. It`s the same with every other gaming fighting franchise. Iconics are base roster, the new kids on the block are the fresh meat and usually DLCor the last adittions to base, because people can get curious about them. You can`t get curious about a Ryo Sakazaki but you can about a new Karateka and how he plays.

iconic status paves way first. It just wouldn`t be a Dragon Ball game without half these mainstains.
Bullza wrote:Meanwhile the only console game the Super characters have been in is Xenoverse 2, as DLC at that, meaning most wouldn't have even played as them anyway. So this would be the chance to offer the first or one of the first experiences with these characters for most players.
And they still can. There`s at least four characters missing to close the base roster in this game. Beerus, Black, Jiren, Kafla? That`s about four of the main characters in Super right there. You can save God Vegeta/Goku and Ultra Limit as DLC because they`re designed for it. And while we`re at it how about the two slots gone to SSB?

I get the concern, because Roshi is missing, a gag character is "missing" (if it is even planned at all), Raditz has fans and so on. But it`s left in the air if they are even going to be in the base roster or in the game at all.
Bullza wrote:With how many characters the game is going to have and the sheer amount of Super characters available it would be nothing but a sham if they only saved them for DLC knowing that people will pay for it because that's mainly who they'd want to play as.
We`ll see. What I don`t get is the insinuation they`re the only charcacters people want to play as.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Bullza wrote:GT is widely despised
Except it's really not.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Olympian wrote:Are you insinuating that nobody cares about the classic characters?
You mean Dragon Ball Z characters? Of course not but there's definitely characters that people would rather play as from Super than the same tired old characters from Z that people generally never actually play as.

I spent a lot of time playing Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 online. Nobody ever chooses to play as Burter or Yamcha or Guldo or Nappa or Raditz. Meanwhile people pay money to play as the Super characters.
It just wouldn`t be a Dragon Ball game without half these mainstains.
Then let the other half be something new. Every single character announced for this game has been in 20 other games. You could have an entire games worth full of just Super characters yet this hasn't even shown so much as one yet.
Dbzfan94" wrote:Except it's really not.
It's always spoken of negatively. People are always shitting in it because it's a downright terrible series. It has some paltry scores on both MAL and Anime Planet.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Some people are just hardcore on how all the Super characters will only appear as DLC, despite that Xenoverse 2 came with Beerus, Hit and Black (preorder), and despite how Golden Frieza, and the Zamasu arc versions (moves and design) of SSB Goku & Vegeta are already in the game, with a destroyed city stage.

(Btw, I don't care if Beerus is not a Super character. Then he is not a Dragon Ball Z character either, but a Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods character. It doesn't matter. He appears in contemporary Dragon Ball material, and that's what people refer to as DBS characters.)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm

LightBing wrote:I know these attributes are just general indicators and shouldn't be taken literally but damn, Pure Boo seems overpowered.

[spoiler]Pure Boo
Power - 4
Speed - 4
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 19

SSB Goku
Power - 4
Speed - 5
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 18

SSB Vegeta
Power - 5
Speed - 4
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 4

Total - 18

Freeza
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 17

Majin Boo
Power - 4
Speed - 1
Reach - 4
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 17

Cell
Power - 4
Speed - 3
Reach - 4
Technique - 3
Energy - 3

Total - 17

Piccolo
Power - 3
Speed - 2
Reach - 4
Technique - 4
Energy - 3

Total - 16

Mystic Gohan
Power - 3
Speed - 4
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 16

SSJ3 Gotenks
Power - 3
Speed - 4
Reach - 1
Technique - 3
Energy - 4

Total - 15

SSJ2 Gohan
Power - 5
Speed - 4
Reach - 1
Technique - 2
Energy - 3

Total - 15

SSJ Goku
Power - 4
Speed - 2
Reach - 3
Technique - 3
Energy - 3

Total - 15

SSJ Vegeta
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 4

Total - 15

Future Trunks
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 15

Ginyu
Power - 4
Speed - 2
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 15

Kuririn
Power - 2
Speed - 3
Reach - 1
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 14

Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 3

Total - 14

Power - 4
Speed - 1
Reach - 4
Technique - 2
Energy - 3

Total - 14

Tenshinhan
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 3
Technique - 3
Energy - 2

Total - 14

Nappa
Power - 4
Speed - 1
Reach - 4
Technique - 3
Energy - 2

Total - 14

Yamcha
Power - 2
Speed - 4
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 2

Total - 13[/spoiler]
It doesn't make sense that Kid Boo total stats are higher than both SSJB Goku and Vegeta, hope they fix that soon.
Bullza wrote:Ok....ok....so Adult Gohan, Gotenks and Kid Buu......just like in 50 other Dragon Ball fighting games. Have they actually announced any Dragon Ball Super characters for this game? Even one? You know, actual new characters who we've been barely played as at all? If ever?
Yea, though I like these characters, I really would prefer any Super or GT Character.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:38 pm

This isn't a Dragon Ball game made specifically for fans. This is a fighting game based on Dragon Ball, something made very clear from the very start.

This game will not just be bought by Dragon Ball fans who are up to date on Super. We'll have many people who don't know who Jiren is. If they just shoved new characters these clients wouldn't be able to recognize Dragon Ball, you can't alienate what is a great percentage of your consumer base.

We aren't just repeating the same old characters, this is a new way to play Nappa, Ginyu and everybody else. Looking only at the character roster, ignoring the contents of the characters is not how you should look at this game at all.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Bullza wrote: It's always spoken of negatively. People are always shitting in it because it's a downright terrible series. It has some paltry scores on both MAL and Anime Planet.
Because it's "Cool" to hate GT.

If GT was so hated, SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta wouldn't have been the most anticipated event in Dokkan Battle so far.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:21 pm

LightBing wrote:We aren't just repeating the same old characters, this is a new way to play Nappa, Ginyu and everybody else. Looking only at the character roster, ignoring the contents of the characters is not how you should look at this game at all.
Pretty much, despite all of those characters were in about a thousand games, this is the first time, they are in a proper 2D fighting game, and some of them even has unique twists to their movesets.

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:Because, shocking as this might be, I like him.

Shocking I know
I'm just joking around. I like him as well and hope he makes it in as he's one of Z's main villains.
its cool, I'm used to seeing Raditz get flack for being 'saibamen' level and being 'weak.' never liked the arguement cause if it was all about power we wouldnt see frieza or cell over Buu
It was mostly just a joke from my part though. Raditz is not the character I really want in, but I wouldn't mind him at all, and gamedesign-wise I definitely think that he could contribute something new to the game.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Assuming there are only 4 more characters coming for the main roster, which seems likely, I will go with - Vegetto, Beerus, Hit and SSR Black + Zamasu as assist.

When it comes to Vegetto's character model I would like it to be SSB Vegetto, because we already have a lot of characters with yellow hair (variety purposes) and it's also another thing for DBS fans. He should have SSJ as his alternate costume, because both basically have the same moveset and it's a smart way to tell them apart when both players pick him up, instead of give him only random color schemes as alternate costumes. This way they kill two birds with one stone.

I also believe Android 21 will be playable (It will be a waste if she isn't), but I also would like they kept that a secret until the game comes you and we find out by ourselves. There's no need to reveal everything.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm

KayDash wrote:Some people are just hardcore on how all the Super characters will only appear as DLC, despite that Xenoverse 2 came with Beerus, Hit and Black (preorder), and despite how Golden Frieza, and the Zamasu arc versions (moves and design) of SSB Goku & Vegeta are already in the game, with a destroyed city stage
Xenoverse 2 has Beerus and Frieza because Xenoverse had them, and at the time they were Z-only characters. Xenoverse 2 was in development while Super was still in the retelling, Hit, Trunks and Black were only brought in due to popular demand; and even then it was clear they were an afterthought for the base game, Trunks and Black were used because it was just a simple model and move swap for the most part, and Hit was really only half done.

And the fuck does a destroyed city stge have to do with SUper? Destroyed City is almost as much of a staple of DB Games as the Wastelands, Plain and Namek.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017