"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 am

No King Cold, Chilled and Kuriza colors? They missed a great opportunity there.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Anyone else playing the Switch beta? Just curious. So far I'm doing ok. The load screens feel a little long at times, and I wish there was a vs computer mode outside of practice, and maybe a way to switch announcers (I think they're planning to make that dlc?), but I'm enjoying learning it so far. I don't have favorite playable characters yet, but probably will by the end of the beta.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Xaroc wrote:That artwork or whatever it is on the right side looks absolutely badass and savage. Is there maybe a full picture without the rest?
There will be when they update the official site to add him.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 pm

LightBing wrote: Second color seems to be a reference to Freeza.
Frieza or Syn Shenron

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:07 pm

People really seem to be enjoying the characters and overall quite a positive reception. Just goes to show you that if you make characters fun and unique to play > "wahhh my favorite character didn't get shoehorned into the game"!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:03 pm

LightBing wrote:Here's the EVO trailer
I liked his gameplay! Coola is awesome! He might not have the same popularity as Broly, but he's for sure one of the most popular movie villains, I wish someday he's integrated to the main series.

Also I can't wait to hear Andrew Chandler to voice him, probably one of a few VAs that I like better than the original.
Grimlock wrote:Oh yeah, I'm also expecting a good dialogue with Bardock, I don't really remember if he ever acknowledged Cooler as Freeza's brother before in any game, so this may be the first time that happens.
He kinda had in Tenkaichi 3
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Noah wrote:He kinda had in Tenkaichi 3
That's a generic line, he says the same to a couple other characters related to Freeza's army or that are involved in some way as far as I remember.

Speaking of generic lines, Bardock's "Is that you, Kakarot?" is also becoming one. If Dragon Ball Super's movie does contain a great scene involving Bardock and Goku with dialogues, the games better start using it.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Got the DLC so I've started playing the game again. Doing alright with the team of Adult Gohan, Piccolo and Bardock.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 pm

So, uh...is Base Vegeta's assist supposed to scale and hit this horribly? What the hell is this.

https://twitter.com/mallionas/status/10 ... 65985?s=21
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

The shared normals is a bad look, but it's impressive how well they've done the base boys. Base Goku is a lot of fun, though it's taking some getting used to switching from SS Goku.

Also, that second Cooler skin is hideous. All white is not a good look.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm very surprised FighterZ did not reference the alternate colors from the Budokai games for Cooler.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:18 am

Chuquita wrote:Anyone else playing the Switch beta? Just curious. So far I'm doing ok. The load screens feel a little long at times, and I wish there was a vs computer mode outside of practice, and maybe a way to switch announcers (I think they're planning to make that dlc?), but I'm enjoying learning it so far. I don't have favorite playable characters yet, but probably will by the end of the beta.
I am. Have been having a blast, even though, yeah, I'd love a way to practice against the computer. I've only had "Communication Errors" with two people I was soundly beating as well, which is pretty suspicious as both happened shortly after they lost their first fighter very quickly.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Starting to feel my love for the game return. Really glad about that.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I'm very surprised FighterZ did not reference the alternate colors from the Budokai games for Cooler.
Colour 4 was in Budokai 3/Infinite World and I'm pretty sure the BT games too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Brodes wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Anyone else playing the Switch beta? Just curious. So far I'm doing ok. The load screens feel a little long at times, and I wish there was a vs computer mode outside of practice, and maybe a way to switch announcers (I think they're planning to make that dlc?), but I'm enjoying learning it so far. I don't have favorite playable characters yet, but probably will by the end of the beta.
I am. Have been having a blast, even though, yeah, I'd love a way to practice against the computer. I've only had "Communication Errors" with two people I was soundly beating as well, which is pretty suspicious as both happened shortly after they lost their first fighter very quickly.
I've had communication errors in the lobby and during battles with people. I thought maybe I'm too far away from the router when playing. I'm going to try playing closer to the room the router's in and see if there's a difference.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Sorry to double-post, but I'm past the edit post time limit.
Anyway, my experiment with the router was a success; I get way less drops while closer to it.

I really do wish there was the option to practice against the computer in the demo outside of the training mode. Characters are pre-selected in training mode so there's no way to practice a good number of characters other than playing a match against someone online and most of those I've fought against online are so much deeper into this game's controls than I am so far that it's incredibly difficult to even decide if I like the characters I pick out for my team not to mention impossible to really practice their movesets.

I think I'm just gonna stick to training mode for the most part until the full game actually comes out because it's unbearably frustrating to be thrown into the deep end just because you want to try out characters who aren't ssj1 Goku, Krillin, or Kid Gohan.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Will they ever fix the servers? i never saw such bad servers in my life no joke awful company. sad because the game is good.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:First of all, Demon isn't considered a "high" rank. Demon is where you just start playing people who are moderately OK at the game.
Nah Demon Rank is fairly high like I said, not high high but it's up there. The players aren't also just moderately ok, these are people I've seen with hundreds of games worth of experience and having won a good majority of them.
The ranks below SS3 are not as far apart in skill as you would think. Everything under supreme kai is roughly the same, then supreme kai and demon are roughly equal, then SS3 and up is an entirely different game altogether.
Quoted straight from Gamefaqs board.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 am

Chuquita wrote:Sorry to double-post, but I'm past the edit post time limit.
Anyway, my experiment with the router was a success; I get way less drops while closer to it.

I really do wish there was the option to practice against the computer in the demo outside of the training mode. Characters are pre-selected in training mode so there's no way to practice a good number of characters other than playing a match against someone online and most of those I've fought against online are so much deeper into this game's controls than I am so far that it's incredibly difficult to even decide if I like the characters I pick out for my team not to mention impossible to really practice their movesets.

I think I'm just gonna stick to training mode for the most part until the full game actually comes out because it's unbearably frustrating to be thrown into the deep end just because you want to try out characters who aren't ssj1 Goku, Krillin, or Kid Gohan.
I know what you mean though I'm using a custom team of Tenshinhan, Freeza and No. 18 and doing way better. But, I am so sick of fighting against Goku Black and Gotenks where people spam the same combo over and over and over until you're in a corner. I have legit stopped fighting against one player because he literally just spammed one combo over and ove with Goku Black. I didn't quit. Just... put the controller down and checked my phone. It wasn't fun. It was a chore to even lose in that match (whereas I lose like 80% if the tike and normally try and figure out ways to improve myself.)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:50 am

Sooooo, finally found the game for normal price, paying 40 dollars and not 90 for standard edition!
Aaaaand, I absolutely LOVE this game! I outright bought the figters pass for another 40 dollars and I really love basic Saiyan arc Vegeta!
Tough the art style is updated to reflect the Buu/Super era, his smirk on the face after win is nice touch.
This game has lot of cool visual fanservice taken straight from the series and sometimes I forget to play and just watch.

Man, I have waited for game like this my whole life as a fan of fighting games! The gameplay seems to be pretty easy and casual at first, but that is quite deceptive,
as not only every character feels unique, but for the first time in Dragon Ball game, I had to and even was prompt to use strategy when playing and the speed is insane,
as in this game, it is not about picking your favorite character from series and mash punches, kicks and then do a flashy super move like in Budokai or Budokai Tenkaichi.

One word, WOW! After few hours of playing, I have not even scratched the surface at all and I am just trying various characters and really do not know for whom to settle as everyone is fun to play as and really different with range and attacks.

The Story mode is generic, but the artstyle of ARC System Works really makes it nice too look at and I really love the charater interactions calling back to the history of the series, like talk about training or Yamcha and Kuririn talking about their hair was kinda funny. Sad to hear Hiromi Tsuru in her last role as Bulma :(

Now for the cons. There are few for me. The biggest and only I have little gripe with is the Arcade mode, as the AI is damn cheating like in Mortal Kombat II, as it does not react to your in-game gameplay but actual button inputs + with life regen, insane combo inputs and huge damage... the arcade mode is almost unplayable. I did manage to finish the Hyperbolic course on A after getting the hold of the controls, but had one continue, so no SS Blue for me :( And I do not know if I have the mood to go trough it again anytime soon :lol:
And now this is minor, having small grasp of Japanese over the years and my EX being fluent, I am kinda annoyed by the subtitles not actually reflecting what is said on screen.
I do not know, if it is the english script for the dub instead of translation, as I did not grew up on the American version of DB and was watching the French and Japanese versions as a kid, so my default settings are for Japanese sound.

What I miss in the game, is not having the option to play 1 vs 1 outside of story mode, maybe just for the local mode only :(
But that is just nitpicking and this game is so much fan overall!

This is a solid and innovative fighting game and way better than Xenoverse in my opinion, as I am really sad about the butthurt fanboys on FB throwing acid in the comments, just because it is not Budokai Tenkaichi or XV, because I think that this game is really casual friendly and so much fun to learn in contrast to broken XV2 combo system that has trouble to read your inputs.
I do not remember Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat being this easy on the first go :)

I have not tried the online fighting against people yet, as the server pairing does not work anyhow or maybe the player base is low in Europe?
But I think that I will give this game 9/10! No other DB game would get this high score in my personal ranking (I think the most favorite I can pick are Budokai 3 and Advanced Adventure from the past, and I will award them like 6/10 both).

Any tips for characters? Like ideal trio for that arcade madness? :D Thanks a lot and maybe see you online :thumbup:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88