"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Fighters" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by SquadronGOD » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I cant wait for this.. especially after that disappointment known as Xenoverse 2.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Fighters" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Since I'm an Arc Systems fanboy, I'm already sold to this game. Hopefully we'll get an competitive game. Considering that even Persona 4 Arena did, Dragon Ball Fighters will hit EVO in 2018 or 2019

Also, E3 is right here. The official announcement is scheduled for June 12, so we'll certainly have some trailer or teasers

For the roster, I think we'll have 20 characters from Z (and movies) + DLCs from Super. I hope those characters gonna be unlockables

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:49 pm

People complained about Xenoverse 2 adding Dragon Ball Super characters through DLCs (even though that was the only way since the game was pratically finished by the time Dragon Ball Super started), and now people are asking Dragon Ball Super characters via DLC in a game that will be released three years after Super had started!? :eh:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Grimlock wrote:People complained about Xenoverse 2 adding Dragon Ball Super characters through DLCs (even though that was the only way since the game was pratically finished by the time Dragon Ball Super started), and now people are asking Dragon Ball Super characters via DLC in a game that will be released three years after Super had started!? :eh:
This game was in development/planning stages before Super started.
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:05 pm

I hope they put a lot of content in for this one, and not just the basic arcade, versus, practice, and online. Have more creative ones. I feel like the recent fighting games are not putting enough thought into them. Yes, the net code matters, but the developers shouldn't forget about those who aren't interested in playing online and know that intriguing single player modes is a must otherwise the game won't sell as much as they expect(Street Fighter 5 anyone?). Take a look at the Netherrealm games and the earlier Namco games (i.e. Soul Calibur 2 & 3 and Tekken 4-6), they had some very good single player modes!
Last edited by EXBadguy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:06 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I hope they put a lot of content in for this one, and not just the basic arcade, versus, practice, and online. Have more creative ones. I feel like the recent fighting games are not putting enough thought into them as the developers should know that intriguing single player modes is a must otherwise the game won't sell as much as they expect(Street Fighter 5 anyone?). Take a look at the Netherrealm games and the earlier Namco games (i.e. Soul Calibur 2 & 3 and Tekken 4-6), they had some very good single player modes!
Arcsys' console fighting games are always full of single player modes, I wouldn't worry too much.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:09 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I have to say that I love the comment that the producer made about how there are too many 3D Dragon Ball games. I'm glad that the Xenoverse series is taking a break.
I like that acknowledgement as well, because as a Budokai fan, I didn't pick up DBZ games since BT3 feeling that they all looked the same. So I'm liking this one felt the series was overdue for a break from the overstayed gimmicky, 3D games. Its time we had some variety and that we FINALLY get the demand for a 2.5D game for next gen out there.
Fellow Budokai fan here, and I'm hoping that DBF is in some way a spiritual sequel to Burst Limit (the most grossly underappreciated Dragon Ball game in existence).

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Quebaz wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:I hope they put a lot of content in for this one, and not just the basic arcade, versus, practice, and online. Have more creative ones. I feel like the recent fighting games are not putting enough thought into them as the developers should know that intriguing single player modes is a must otherwise the game won't sell as much as they expect(Street Fighter 5 anyone?). Take a look at the Netherrealm games and the earlier Namco games (i.e. Soul Calibur 2 & 3 and Tekken 4-6), they had some very good single player modes!
Arcsys' console fighting games are always full of single player modes, I wouldn't worry too much.
Yeah I know that, I still have some of their games (GGX2, Xrd Rev2, and Blazblue CF), but since it's their first time doing a DB game for the main consoles, you dunno what to expect, but yeah, I have faith in them. I understand online matters, but I feel like some FG developers are focusing too much on the online multiplayer, but that's just me.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 pm

So who said they were gonna suck a thousand dicks to get a new 2.5D DB game? I hope your mouth feels better.

Because wow, this looks pretty interesting. The screenshot with Goku vs. Freeza actually made me think it was a drawing at first because of how spot on it looks to the anime. Makes sense considering Burst Limit was the best-looking DB game up until this one (potentially).
It took me a long time to warm up to Burst Limit since I grew up on 3D gaming and my introduction to DBZ games involved a 3D plane in some way (Legacy of Goku/II, Budokai Tenkaichi 2), and the drama pieces & limited roster didn't help at all. But recently, I've been trying it again and I am just in love with it. Same deal with the old Budokai games and Super Dragon Ball Z.

I am still hoping for a mass-destruction open world DB game (something akin to Red Faction: Guerrilla), but I've definitely been hoping for a new 2.5D game.
Last edited by Yuli Ban on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Just give me OG Dragon Ball and Drgaon Ball Super Characters, then we'll talk. I just want to play as Kid Goku again! And since my favorite DB Game is Burst Limit, I am totally hyped! Hurry up Electronics Entertainment Expo 2017!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Hopefully this game will set things back to the standard: A large Story Mode beginning from the good old Raditz to end in Jiren Kid Boo
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I imagine this game will be very similar to Persona 4 Arena. Since that was another Arc System game of a licensed property. Arena featured 13 characters with 21 in the sequel, but due to the team mechanic in DBFighters I can see the roster being more. MVC which this is clearly based of, MVC3 had a roster of 36 characters, 48 in the re-release. MVCInfinite seems to have less then both of that. So it's pretty safe to say expect 50 characters max.

HOWEVER, clones there will be none. Arc System do an amazing job at making every character play similarly yet different. One thing I hope they emphasis most is different fighting styles and moves unique to characters personality like P4Arena did. I have no doubt we'll see more intricate fighting game elements here such as characters having different speed, combo's and weight.

This is what people don't understand when they ask for a big roster in this kinda game. In Budokai, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse, every character has the same stats, the only difference is looks, specials, and their combo chains are taken from one of around 5 preset combo classes. In your real fighting game like Street Fighter, Smash Bros or this every character is made from the ground up, occasionally with assets shared between characters for the sake of a bigger roster like Smash Bros' clones, which while having similar elements are still different characters in how they control. In Tenkaichi the giant characters have no weight to them, and they feel stupid because of that. If DB Fighters puts emphasis on character weights, speed and combos like other EVO level fighting games, all the stuff which make tier lists a thing in competitive fighting games, it will easily be the best Dragon Ball fighting game, character roster be damned.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:This is what people don't understand when they ask for a big roster in this kinda game. In Budokai, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse, every character has the same stats, the only difference is looks, specials, and their combo chains are taken from one of around 5 preset combo classes. In your real fighting game like Street Fighter, Smash Bros or this every character is made from the ground up, occasionally with assets shared between characters for the sake of a bigger roster like Smash Bros' clones, which while having similar elements are still different characters in how they control. In Tenkaichi the giant characters have no weight to them, and they feel stupid because of that. If DB Fighters puts emphasis on character weights, speed and combos like other EVO level fighting games, all the stuff which make tier lists a thing in competitive fighting games, it will easily be the best Dragon Ball fighting game, character roster be damned.
Characters in Tenkaichi and Xenoverse definitely don't have the same stats. Also, giant characters in Tenkaichi are slow and useless.

I agree with Tenkaichi lacking character diversity but not Budokai and Xenoverse. Maybe the first two Budokai games which were plagued with cloned movesets but 3 and following, most of the characters had unique and personalized movesets. Even scrubs like Videl, Uub, and even Hercule had their own set of combos to work with.

Piccolo, Freeza, Cooler, Omega Shenron, or any of the Buus definitely don't play the same as Goku, Vegeta, Cell, or Bardock.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Been Praying for years that a game would come to light like this. Ever since Balthazar's DBZ Mugen games, I knew this would have to be a thing soon.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Other than characters that were the same person the majority of the chrscters in tenkaichi 3 play different.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:48 pm

MegaBossMan wrote: I'm really hoping for an eventual announcement of a Switch version, but unfortunately fighting games appear to have a stigma against the Switch.
Not counting the ACA NeoGeo and Virtual Consoles, the Switch has a good lead on Wii U at this time and has almost completely caught up

Wii U had:
Tekken Tag 2
Injustice
Smash
Kung Fu Panda
Pokkén
Steel Rivals

Switch has out now/announced
Pocket Rumble
Ultra SF2
Some sort of Blazblue
Pokkén
Xenoverse 2

And that's with only being out 3 months and not even having anything shown at an E3 before. And if you factor in the ACAs and Virtual Console, the Wii U trails it by far.
wrote:This game was in development/planning stages before Super started.
You're probably right, but I don't see anything confirming that.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:05 pm

The S wrote:but I don't see anything confirming that.
Even if that were true, we're talking about a 100% fighting game, so there was plenty of time to add Dragon Ball Super characters as they don't need to worry about Story Mode and assuming it'll be Raditz to Buu with nothing new.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Dragotaker wrote:
Welp there goes what little interest i had then, good to know i have nothing to look foward to until Xenoverse 3.
I suggest you at least wait for gameplay.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I have to say that I love the comment that the producer made about how there are too many 3D Dragon Ball games. I'm glad that the Xenoverse series is taking a break.
I like that acknowledgement as well, because as a Budokai fan, I didn't pick up DBZ games since BT3 feeling that they all looked the same. So I'm liking this one felt the series was overdue for a break from the overstayed gimmicky, 3D games. Its time we had some variety and that we FINALLY get the demand for a 2.5D game for next gen out there.
Fellow Budokai fan here, and I'm hoping that DBF is in some way a spiritual sequel to Burst Limit (the most grossly underappreciated Dragon Ball game in existence).
Yeah. I don't know why people hate 2D for DBZ games all of a sudden now (or people got used to Over-the-shoulder being the "3D" people take literally and like to run around and spam or whatever; I personally like tighter close-combat, but not sluggish 2D). I personally hope they can make this that spiritual successor or godparent to the Budokai fans, because unlike the abstract goals set by the 3D fans, there are more 2D DBZ games that give a better picture of what already worked but can be updated upon.

Though when they say it will be 2.5D I hope it doesn't just mean that the gameplay is horizontal and the special attacks are in 3D (which it in itself isn't bad but) If this is the same company that does Gulity Gear, then I don't want it to be too strict in its side scrolling. I don't want a Marvel vs. Capcom game. I want a 2.5D game that still feels like DBZ from the ground up, which needs to consider flying & dashing over the traditional leapfrog mechanics of most 2D fighters. This is why my ideal game would be more like Super Sonic warriors 2. Everything is in real time, and you had a 360 degree of movement and fighting while on a 2D horizontal screen, like the directions on the pad as opposed to Budokai's more 3D design but with its stiffer 2D directional angles.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:This is what people don't understand when they ask for a big roster in this kinda game. In Budokai, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse, every character has the same stats, the only difference is looks, specials, and their combo chains are taken from one of around 5 preset combo classes. In your real fighting game like Street Fighter, Smash Bros or this every character is made from the ground up, occasionally with assets shared between characters for the sake of a bigger roster like Smash Bros' clones, which while having similar elements are still different characters in how they control. In Tenkaichi the giant characters have no weight to them, and they feel stupid because of that. If DB Fighters puts emphasis on character weights, speed and combos like other EVO level fighting games, all the stuff which make tier lists a thing in competitive fighting games, it will easily be the best Dragon Ball fighting game, character roster be damned.
Characters in Tenkaichi and Xenoverse definitely don't have the same stats. Also, giant characters in Tenkaichi are slow and useless.

I agree with Tenkaichi lacking character diversity but not Budokai and Xenoverse. Maybe the first two Budokai games which were plagued with cloned movesets but 3 and following, most of the characters had unique and personalized movesets. Even scrubs like Videl, Uub, and even Hercule had their own set of combos to work with.

Piccolo, Freeza, Cooler, Omega Shenron, or any of the Buus definitely don't play the same as Goku, Vegeta, Cell, or Bardock.
Characters have no sense of individuality gameplay wise. Sure the combos and moves look different, but they're all essentially the same button inputs for virtually the same damage. Your character choice has minimal actually importance in Dragon Ball games. Contrast this to a full on fighting game which players have mains and tier lists. I've been playing a lot of Injustice 2 this past few weeks, and while I can play Supergirl, Flash and Black Canary quite well, I can't play another 15 other characters due to how they play completely different, my combo's and techs don't work for them since those combo's and techs are unique to that character. In Budokai 3 I can go from Goku to Trunks to Saibaiman to Broly and keep playing well cause they are all basically the same fundamentals and same button inputs. It's the finer aspects of a fighting game which make it recognizable in the community and only Super DBZ has even come close to doing that.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/