"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 am

Yamcha is not even that popular, but he makes a lot of sense now looking at how ArcSys interpreted his moves as gameplay. He is a rushdown character with a lot of mixups (mainly his wolf fang finst), unlike the others.
Also, popularity is not the only factor when it comes to FighterZ. Bamco wants to take this game to fighting game tournaments, and build an active player base around it, and for that reason game mechanics will be more important then pure fanservice.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am

LightBing wrote:For how much I dislike clone characters, I proportionally like logic and good representation. If you're going to show off Super to a significant degree, let's say 4 DLC characters and 3.5 initial characters(counting Freeza and the Blue Saiyans as half a character), it makes sense to show off the main characters in their new forms.
Fighting games always had clone characters, right from the beginning, It's not a problem unless there are way too many, and their gameplay doesn't differ enough. As things are right now SSJ/SSB Goku & Vegeta at least as different from each other (if not more) then Ryu and Ken in a Street Fighter game.
Oh and SSJ2 Gohan and Ultimate Gohan will likely have almost nothing in common.
It's all fine for now.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:06 pm

I'll be surprised if Broly is not on this game, I mean when was the last time we had main fighting game without Broly? 1991?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I think the roster is very good so far and I'm satisfied with everyone, except Nappa. I was pissed about Ginyu too, but they convinced me with that brilliant moveset.

Nappa however is doing nothing here.

He had a big role in Saiyan arc but he's past his time. Nowadays he only seems to be popular among TFS fans because of the jokes.
Have a Saibaman as assist seems like desperate way to make his moveset interesting. It makes him more interesting indeed, but definitely still not a must have.
He's cool as a grappler, but so are Android 16 and Broly (not canon, but incredibly popular) too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Noah wrote:I'll be surprised if Broly is not on this game, I mean when was the last time we had main fighting game without Broly? 1991?
2006: Super Dragon Ball Z

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm

LightBing wrote:I think the roster so far is very good. The only eyesores being the Blue Saiyans which if they give us Beerus and another Super antagonist, either Hit or Zamasu/Goku Black, become less so.

For how much I dislike clone characters, I proportionally like logic and good representation. If you're going to show off Super to a significant degree, let's say 4 DLC characters and 3.5 initial characters(counting Freeza and the Blue Saiyans as half a character), it makes sense to show off the main characters in their new forms.

The only other thing I would change is SSJ2 Gohan, I rather have Kid Gohan instead. Of course this is my opinion and it's not really valid as critique to the game, since they represented Gohan in more than one stage something they had to do.

Agreed.

You do have Kid Gohan, he was what when he fought Cell? Nine?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

New_Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by New_Guy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
I asked that because Bardock isn't really a "spin-off" character, but anyways.

Video-games will always show stuff seen in the anime (well, except Dragon Ball Online, for obvious reasons). From the viewpoint of merchandising, Episode of Bardock is a legit anime episode, so I would say the chances of us seeing Bardock without his Super Saiyan form in a game after Dragon Ball Z: for Kinect is smaller than anything else. If he makes it to this game, expect his Super Saiyan form as well, and be totally surprised if he appears without it.

But I am curious now, why Super Saiyan Bardock bothers you?
Well, he sort of is. He's canon but he debuted in a spin-off and isn't part of the main story.

I don't like Super Saiyan Bardock because a) Episode of Bardock was nonsense and b) it's a transparent merchandise grab that misses the point of Bardock's character. It's the nadier of the "Super Saiyan bargain sale" because Bardock was supposed to be little more than an above-average warrior who saw Freeza's destruction of Vegeta coming but ultimately couldn't do anything to stop it. Plus, a big part of Goku's backstory is that he came from nothing and worked his way up to becoming the legendary Super Saiyan, but having him be the son of the "real" legendary Super Saiyan sort of ruins that.

Given FighterZ's goal of being faithful to the original manga first, I like to think if they did include Bardock they will keep with the classic portrayal of him. I still don't think he's that worth a spot in the roster.
loyal by giving goku a form he hasnt used in the manga?

at this point it wouldnt shock me if bardock just has it as a move
I personally think "kill driver" and "meteor burst" would look cooler in a fighter like this more so than (what's Bardock's signature called again? Riot Javelin? I could be wrong) but that's just wishful thinking. I'm 100% certain Bardock's would get in over Turles. I'd be fine with vice-versa this time around though. (Turles, Raditz, Nappa = Classic Saiyan Armor squad Lol)

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

KayDash wrote:Yamcha is not even that popular, but he makes a lot of sense now looking at how ArcSys interpreted his moves as gameplay. He is a rushdown character with a lot of mixups (mainly his wolf fang finst), unlike the others.
Also, popularity is not the only factor when it comes to FighterZ. Bamco wants to take this game to fighting game tournaments, and build an active player base around it, and for that reason game mechanics will be more important then pure fanservice.
The atention to gameplay is a given when picking characters but he`s popular enough and iconic. Pretty much the whole base roster is built within these parameters.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Olympian wrote:
LightBing wrote:I think the roster so far is very good. The only eyesores being the Blue Saiyans which if they give us Beerus and another Super antagonist, either Hit or Zamasu/Goku Black, become less so.

For how much I dislike clone characters, I proportionally like logic and good representation. If you're going to show off Super to a significant degree, let's say 4 DLC characters and 3.5 initial characters(counting Freeza and the Blue Saiyans as half a character), it makes sense to show off the main characters in their new forms.

The only other thing I would change is SSJ2 Gohan, I rather have Kid Gohan instead. Of course this is my opinion and it's not really valid as critique to the game, since they represented Gohan in more than one stage something they had to do.

Agreed.

You do have Kid Gohan, he was what when he fought Cell? Nine?
What most games call Kid Gohan. From Raditz until Namek, maybe also including the Android Arc. Basically everything before he entered the RoSaT.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Btw, if Beerus is really in, I hope the incorporate Whis in his moveset. Not as an active assist, but what I think, it would be awesome if when Beerus KOd, and you have 3 levels of super bar, you could use it, to call Whis, and one time per match he who would rewind time with 5-15 seconds, like it time-reversing happens in games like Braid or Prince of Persia. Of course it would give back the lost health to the opponent too, so it would be only worth doing, if you did worse then him, or if Beerus is the last standing character. Maybe this move could also work without being KOd.
Coding wise, if the game already have a replay mode programmed like in Street Fighter V, it wouldn't even be a big deal to do.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 pm

KayDash wrote:
LightBing wrote:For how much I dislike clone characters, I proportionally like logic and good representation. If you're going to show off Super to a significant degree, let's say 4 DLC characters and 3.5 initial characters(counting Freeza and the Blue Saiyans as half a character), it makes sense to show off the main characters in their new forms.
Fighting games always had clone characters, right from the beginning, It's not a problem unless there are way too many, and their gameplay doesn't differ enough. As things are right now SSJ/SSB Goku & Vegeta at least as different from each other (if not more) then Ryu and Ken in a Street Fighter game.
Oh and SSJ2 Gohan and Ultimate Gohan will likely have almost nothing in common.
It's all fine for now.
Street Fighter 1 and 2 never had a problem with clone characters because there wasn't anything to compare the roster with. Street Fighter was its own thing and introduced its own characters. And built a genre. If you remember (unless you're too young), there was plenty of bitching in magazines when Mortal Kombat games would overdo it with the ninja palettes (like in MK2 or UMK3).

Dragon Ball FighterZ, on the other hand, is a game based on a popular franchise with tons of characters who have lots of fans. The inclusion of clone characters means that Goku fans (for example) get extra extra EXTRA treatment, while Cooler fans have to settle with Frieza, or nothing at all if little brother doesn't strike their fancy. In a game where you want to see as many of your beloved characters as possible, it's just a waste to see Gero, #19, Broly, Cooler, Janemba and Hit not making the roster in order to have five Gokus and four Vegetas.

It doesn't have to do with slightly different movesets or playstyles. The Cooler fan wants to play as Cooler. Whether the five Gokus play (a little) differently or not is of no consequence to him/her.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:In a game where you want to see as many of your beloved characters as possible, it's just a waste to see Gero, #19, Broly, Cooler, Janemba and Hit not making the roster in order to have five Gokus and four Vegetas.
It's not "in order to", doing a different version takes far less resources then a completely new character from scratch.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 pm

KayDash wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:In a game where you want to see as many of your beloved characters as possible, it's just a waste to see Gero, #19, Broly, Cooler, Janemba and Hit not making the roster in order to have five Gokus and four Vegetas.
It's not "in order to", doing a different version takes far less resources then a completely new character from scratch.
Still, it's unnecessary. They could've easily made the SS forms a transformation, like with Golden Frieza - and change the movesets accordingly. And if, IF those 'far less resources needed' characters end up being sold as DLC as if they are the hottest talk of the town, it's going to the dickishest of dick moves.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
KayDash wrote:
Still, it's unnecessary. They could've easily made the SS forms a transformation, like with Golden Frieza - and change the movesets accordingly.
This I cannot argue with, however they wanted keep the basic Goku/Vegeta characters simple, addig a transformation with a heavily altered moveset would go against it.
And if, IF those 'far less resources needed' characters end up being sold as DLC as if they are the hottest talk of the town, it's going to the dickishest of dick moves.
I've seen worse, but so far it's only a rumor, like how "over 34 characters, Kale, Kalifla & multiform Tien included" was a rumor.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:30 pm

KayDash wrote: I've seen worse, but so far it's only a rumor, like how "over 34 characters, Kale, Kalifla & multiform Tien included" was a rumor.
Of all characters included, Tenshinhan has the most disappointing moveset so far.

They gave something unexpected like the Zanzoken to Krillin, but they don't give the Multi-Form to Tenshinhan?!
Krillin has the Taiyoken and Tenshinhan, the original user, doesn't?!
His four arms technique would be an interesting addition too.

2017 definitely wasn't a good year for him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 pm

One of the few TFS jokes I really enjoyed was how Goku just borrows atttacks from the rest of the cast.

Tenshinhan and Roshi have been the most abused in that regard. Krillin should improve or create his own thing, not techniques he didn`t come up with. Still, the biggest crime so far is the zero mention of Kiai which is basically tailor made for a figthing game as counter move to reflect attacks back at the opponent.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Goku has by far the most boring moveset; it's all Kamehameha's with variations. I would have hoped they gave him at least the attack he used on Nappa and Buttam which is pretty awesome and nice looking.

I don't mind them giving Kuririn the Taiyoken, going by memory he's probably the character that used it the most during the manga. It's easy to see their goal with the character.

My only problem with Tenshinhan is that two of his specials are the Kikoho. Even if they have their differences, Tenshinhan is one of the most creative characters in Dragon Ball, I was expecting a bit more. Adding Chiaotzu to him while pretty cool and thematic, might have diluted Tenshinhan.
It's clear that Chiaotzu's paralysis attack replaced the Taiyoken in Tenshinhan.

From what I've seen Ginyu easily takes the cake as most interesting move set.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:00 pm

True, one of the Kikoho should have been the Kiai or the clones attack (not TM, of course).

I can`t be upset at the inclusion of Chiatzu and the dinamics to the moveset he brings nor do I see that as a valid reason to simply leave it out. If Tenshinhan is supposed to be sold as one of the most technical characters in the game, then arm him up. Literally. There`s no excuse for the nerf.

With Chiatzu`s paralysis and the Kiai you could increase the role of technical figther by making him hard to hit since two of his main specials costs you bar.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm

LightBing wrote: It's clear that Chiaotzu's paralysis attack replaced the Taiyoken in Tenshinhan.
Y'know, with Chiaotzu's selfdestruct move, I wouldn't be surprised if his paralysis attack is replaced with Tenshinhan's Taiyoken - IF Chiaotzu becomes unusable after selfdestructing.

I seem to remember someone mentioning Tenshinhan does actually have the Taiyoken in FighterZ, though unfortunately I don't have a source. Sooo I'll admit it is an unfounded theory. But a possibility nonetheless.

I dunno. I'll enjoy playing as him regardless. I'm happy he's in the game at all.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 pm

So far Super Saiyan Blue Goku's moveset looks more fun than Super Saiyan Goku's.

Not really a surprise, though. Goku seems to be the "Ryu" of this game where he's designed for beginners. Blue Goku seems to have a more in-depth style.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~