"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Slaythe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Slaythe wrote:
I mean, he's called an assist on the scan that reveals 16 and 18, while 16 is revealed to have some sinister twist in the story mode.

It wouldn't make ANY sense to reveal them like this. They'd either announce 16 alone, or later to keep the story twist as surprise. And 17 and 18 would be together.

Trunks also doesn't have his super form so there's really 0 reason to believe they'd somehow withhold 17's inclusion. :/

This is really sad.
Things could change. Remember, there is a beta coming out very soon. Voice your opinion properly in that and they may respond.
That's exactly what I'm doing though ? I spent hours making that 17 card, I tweeted at them, I encouraged other people that feel 17 deserves a spot as DLC character to support that tweet.

I don't think I was out of line, or that I was "jumping the gun". The core roster has been decided long ago, they're not gonna change it now.
Nothing is set in stone yet until the game is released and we see what the final roster is. Remember how Hit was basically a last minute addition to Xenoverse 2? Nothing is guaranteed.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Simere wrote:Translation of those V-Jump scans. Still no mention of SSBKK being an install, but SSB Goku being a high speed character with a command grab sounds exciting.
Android 16 has "a final power that should not be used"?!
That sounds like his self-destruction to me.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Current know stats of the characters:

[spoiler]Future Trunks
Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 15

Piccolo
Power - 3
Speed - 2
Reach - 4
Technique - 4
Energy - 3

Total - 16

Kuririn
Power - 2
Speed - 3
Reach - 1
Technique - 4
Energy - 4

Total - 14

SSB Goku
Power - 4
Speed - 5
Reach - 3
Technique - 4
Energy - 2

Total - 18

SSB Vegeta
Power - 5
Speed - 4
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 4

Total - 18

Power - 3
Speed - 3
Reach - 2
Technique - 3
Energy - 3

Total - 14

Power - 4
Speed - 1
Reach - 4
Technique - 2
Energy - 3

Total - 14[/spoiler]

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 pm

With stats that awful, I wouldn't be surprised if 18 literally has 17's shield as her actual assist lmao.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Wasn't expecting #16 to be in the game.

As for the SSJB forms, are those going to be separate character slots, or can Goku and Vegeta transform into them?

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Wasn't expecting #16 to be in the game.

As for the SSJB forms, are those going to be separate character slots, or can Goku and Vegeta transform into them?
Separate slots. They have their own movesets and everything.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:27 pm

While unlikely I want this form to appear in the game even as a secret, unplayeble boss. It would be possible as Beerus appeared in 2 games befor his film was even out.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:10 pm

EA575 wrote:

I could've sworn I read a while back that there would only be one version of each character. I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed that apparently isn't the case.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm

There's really no perfect way to do it.

There are too many forms for in-game transformations to work for everything unless there a Budokai-esque system of customizing a moveset which just wouldn't fit for a serious fighting game. The other option is to make them separate characters but that has the issue of "wasting a slot," circumventing the one issue of non-traditional gameplay for the genre but introducing the new issue of potential clones and a homogenized roster.

It's the one hurdle DBZ fighting games will always face.

What doesn't help is the method used by ArcSys to create and animate characters make large rosters impractical, so every character really has to count for something. If the game just used normal 3D animation then it wouldn't be as much of an issue

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Why the character models of this game are so freaking beautiful?! These are the best I saw in a DB game by far.

We got much more confirmed characters this month than I was expecting.

SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta made the cut like I wanted, but they not having their ROF outfits pisses me off.
The alternate costumes are already a joke in this game because they are nothing but recolors of the main ones, and now they gave the same old ones to these two... :evil:

On the bright side if there's SSB+Kaioken Goku, the chances of a wild Hit appear got higher.

C18 and C16 are in. I doubt when C17 voice actor said he recorded lines for the game he was talking about C18 special move, so I'm expecting him in too.

If the roster only has 17 characters then it's a big letdown. I don't care how hard is for them to develop this characters, we are in 2017 and this will be released for PS4.
I was already lowering my expectations to 20 characters, even less than that is crossing the line.

Can I have at least option for 1 vs 1 fights?! I don't want to be forced to 3 vs 3 fights all the time and this would also make it easier for casuals to jump in.

I'm okay with the story mode. I got burnt out of the overused Saiyan arc - Buu arc formula long ago.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:45 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
EA575 wrote:

I could've sworn I read a while back that there would only be one version of each character. I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed that apparently isn't the case.
Many fans have said that's what they said, but at best what they said is that it would be kept to a minimum:
PG: Other Dragon Ball games have featured multiple versions of characters (for example, Teen Gohan, Adult Gohan and Great Saiyaman). Is it possible we may see multiple versions of characters in this game?

TH: When developing this game, we are focusing on making the fighting characteristics of each character really stand out and deliver a variety of gameplay. With that said, we don’t intend to include too many characters who fight alike.
KS: Will we see multiple versions of playable characters such as different forms of Goku for example?

TH: We can’t go into detail, all we can say right now is look forward to future announcements, and we choose which characters make it in depending on what they can add to the game in a unique way, so look forward to that.
But the more straightforward interpretation is that she's saying Kid Goku, SSB Goku, SSJ Goku and SSJ4 Goku can all be in the game as long as they play differently from each other.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:15 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Why the character models of this game are so freaking beautiful?! These are the best I saw in a DB game by far.

SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta made the cut like I wanted, but they not having their ROF outfits pisses me off.
The alternate costumes are already a joke in this game because they are nothing but recolors of the main ones, and now they gave the same old ones to these two... :evil:
The beautiful graphics are why the alternate costumes are a joke and why SSB Goku and Vegeta's models are just slightly altered from the SSJ versions.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Simere wrote:Translation of those V-Jump scans. Still no mention of SSBKK being an install, but SSB Goku being a high speed character with a command grab sounds exciting.
You keep saying "install". While based on context, it sounds like an analogue to Sol Badguy's "Dragon Install"... but I'm pretty sure it's not a universal term.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm

The S wrote:
You keep saying "install". While based on context, it sounds like an analogue to Sol Badguy's "Dragon Install"... but I'm pretty sure it's not a universal term.
Yeah, I certainly never heard people call Juri's Feng Shui Engine or anything an install. But since DBFZ discussion started it's the only term I've seen people use to refer to the mechanic and I don't know of any other, so I've just rolled with it. A familiar feeling with FGC terminology.

Here's a different translation of those scans. Not sure if it's better or not. It doesn't say SSB Goku has a command grab, but mentions him having a launcher. Could be that his command grab is a launcher.
Last edited by Simere on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm sad 17 is all but deconfirmed, but 18 looks absolutely fantastic, sometimes games struggle with her look they nailed it here. 16 is an interesting choice for a game with a small roster that's for sure but I guess he is pretty unique and apparently he is the main villain of the story. That technique will obviously be his explosion he was going to use against Cell.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 pm

16 isn't that unexpected, since characters of his size are a popular archetype in fighting games but there is a relatively small pool of them in the DBZ franchise.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Oh boy...

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/898330381128146944

Apparently just like GGXrd, FighterZ's story mode will be nothing more but a big OVA using in game graphics :thumbdown:

TheGameTagerZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGameTagerZ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:44 pm

shadd21 wrote:Oh boy...

Apparently just like GGXrd, FighterZ's story mode will be nothing more but a big OVA using in game graphics :thumbdown:
And what's the problem with this again?

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm

shadd21 wrote:Oh boy...

...and?

I'm frankly a little amazed that there's an actual storymode at all.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Army bit sounds lame but I'm happy we're getting a story mode. If they throw in a small arcade mode with unique beginnings and endings (say like Goku vs Vegeta at the end of his story and its just a classic rival match with a bit of unique dialogue) i'd be very happy with the games single player content.