"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KayDash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Kanassa wrote:
KayDash wrote:Some people are just hardcore on how all the Super characters will only appear as DLC, despite that Xenoverse 2 came with Beerus, Hit and Black (preorder), and despite how Golden Frieza, and the Zamasu arc versions (moves and design) of SSB Goku & Vegeta are already in the game, with a destroyed city stage
Xenoverse 2 has Beerus and Frieza because Xenoverse had them, and at the time they were Z-only characters. Xenoverse 2 was in development while Super was still in the retelling, Hit, Trunks and Black were only brought in due to popular demand; and even then it was clear they were an afterthought for the base game, Trunks and Black were used because it was just a simple model and move swap for the most part, and Hit was really only half done.
I know, but why are you telling me this? They had to rush and add those characters, despite how they were incomplete even in the anime and despite how they could just add them later to the DLC. For me that means that they thought it's important to let Super be represented even in the base game.
And the fuck does a destroyed city stge have to do with SUper? Destroyed City is almost as much of a staple of DB Games as the Wastelands, Plain and Namek.
I'm talking about the one which is in the game. This:
With this green color scheme, in the anime it appears only in the Zamasu Arc in Trunks' future.

There are other similar destroyed cities, yes, but they are not visually the same, not even in the Trunks Special.

Yes, it can be any random city from the DB universe, but it's visually based on Dragon Ball Super's destroyed future city.
Last edited by KayDash on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Because it's "Cool" to hate GT.

If GT was so hated, SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta wouldn't have been the most anticipated event in Dokkan Battle so far.
It ain't cool to hate GT, people just hate it because it is a genuinely awful show. There's very little that's actually even decent about it never mind good.

Even then though, people do like Super Saiyan 4. I think it looks kinda stupid but I'd gladly have it in FighterZ. I think Xenoverse probably could have drawn a lot more from GT as well, more content is more content and it being terrible doesn't really affect the game at all.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm

KayDash wrote:Some people are just hardcore on how all the Super characters will only appear as DLC, despite that Xenoverse 2 came with Beerus, Hit and Black (preorder), and despite how Golden Frieza, and the Zamasu arc versions (moves and design) of SSB Goku & Vegeta are already in the game, with a destroyed city stage.

(Btw, I don't care if Beerus is not a Super character. Then he is not a Dragon Ball Z character either, but a Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods character. It doesn't matter. He appears in contemporary Dragon Ball material, and that's what people refer to as DBS characters.)
beerus and frieza both debuted in something with Z in the title, so yes, they are Z characters.

Same way Bra isnt a super character

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm

KayDash wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
KayDash wrote:Some people are just hardcore on how all the Super characters will only appear as DLC, despite that Xenoverse 2 came with Beerus, Hit and Black (preorder), and despite how Golden Frieza, and the Zamasu arc versions (moves and design) of SSB Goku & Vegeta are already in the game, with a destroyed city stage
Xenoverse 2 has Beerus and Frieza because Xenoverse had them, and at the time they were Z-only characters. Xenoverse 2 was in development while Super was still in the retelling, Hit, Trunks and Black were only brought in due to popular demand; and even then it was clear they were an afterthought for the base game, Trunks and Black were used because it was just a simple model and move swap for the most part, and Hit was really only half done.
I know, but why are you telling me this? They had to rush and add those characters, despite how they were incomplete even in the anime and despite how they could just add them later to the DLC. For me that means that they thought it's important to let Super be represented even in the base game.
And the fuck does a destroyed city stge have to do with SUper? Destroyed City is almost as much of a staple of DB Games as the Wastelands, Plain and Namek.
I'm talking about the one which is in the game. This:
With this green color scheme, in the anime it appears only in the Zamasu Arc in Trunks' future. and it has the same building types, not the round ones

There are other similar destroyed cities, yes, but they are not visually the same, not even in the Trunks Special.

Yes, it can be any random city from the DB universe, but it's visually based on Dragon Ball Super's destroyed future city.
colours match this better though, with the green hues

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:08 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote: colours match this better though, with the green hues
This is what I said: Visually it matches with the DBS future city, and not with the Trunks Story (blue) city, or anything else.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

LightBing wrote:We aren't just repeating the same old characters, this is a new way to play Nappa, Ginyu and everybody else. Looking only at the character roster, ignoring the contents of the characters is not how you should look at this game at all.
That`s what I`m trying to get at and is something that also needs to be adressed in this new vs old debate. Older games don`t really matter here. We never had a game that played like this and is also presenting older iconic characters to new players or viewers who just tuned in with Super.

Do I want the new toys in the game too? Absolutely, and I`d rather all of them being unlockable in different game modes like it used to be instead of being DLC but that`s today`s standard practise.

Look at Dragon Ball Hyper Z who is this Mugen highy sought online (from what I can gather), it got some of the new toys (SSB, Berrus..) some GT toys (SS4..) but the mainsteans are all there, including yamcha with the original bandit gear.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

cringey

Post by cringey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Bullza wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Because it's "Cool" to hate GT.

If GT was so hated, SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta wouldn't have been the most anticipated event in Dokkan Battle so far.
It ain't cool to hate GT, people just hate it because it is a genuinely awful show. There's very little that's actually even decent about it never mind good.

Even then though, people do like Super Saiyan 4. I think it looks kinda stupid but I'd gladly have it in FighterZ. I think Xenoverse probably could have drawn a lot more from GT as well, more content is more content and it being terrible doesn't really affect the game at all.
First of all, GT being awful or not is based on personal taste. In other words, subjective.

Secondly, GT's quality is irrelevant to this topic.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:or alongside Bardock and Broly, who usually get paired together as the popular spinoff Saiyans.
You mean Turles, right?
I guess. I don't think Turles should be anywhere near this game though. As far as movie villains go, Broly and Janemba are the only really good choices.

Hell, I'm not that keen on Bardock either. I'm afraid they'd do what a lot of modern DB stuff does and give him a lot of undue pomp and circumstance. If Bardock has Super Saiyan, that's a no-no.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 pm

This is interesting:

But as always, we will probably have high resolution images next week, so we will know...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

I think either Roshi or Mr. Satan will be in, but not both.

I also highly suspect Radditz and someone out of Dabura or Vegetto. No way did they just add Nappa there without Radditz, it's like peanut butter without jelly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I guess. I don't think Turles should be anywhere near this game though. As far as movie villains go, Broly and Janemba are the only really good choices.
I asked that because Bardock isn't really a "spin-off" character, but anyways.
Kataphrut wrote:Hell, I'm not that keen on Bardock either. I'm afraid they'd do what a lot of modern DB stuff does and give him a lot of undue pomp and circumstance. If Bardock has Super Saiyan, that's a no-no.
Video-games will always show stuff seen in the anime (well, except Dragon Ball Online, for obvious reasons). From the viewpoint of merchandising, Episode of Bardock is a legit anime episode, so I would say the chances of us seeing Bardock without his Super Saiyan form in a game after Dragon Ball Z: for Kinect is smaller than anything else. If he makes it to this game, expect his Super Saiyan form as well, and be totally surprised if he appears without it.

But I am curious now, why Super Saiyan Bardock bothers you?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:29 pm

precita wrote:I think either Roshi or Mr. Satan will be in, but not both.

I also highly suspect Radditz and someone out of Dabura or Vegetto. No way did they just add Nappa there without Radditz, it's like peanut butter without jelly.
I'm also seeing Ginyu there with tilted head, and one arm raised.

From the two different purple portraits one of them is surely not Ginyu though...

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I guess. I don't think Turles should be anywhere near this game though. As far as movie villains go, Broly and Janemba are the only really good choices.
Yes, also it would be a shame in they put Tullece in the game instead of Goku Black.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Gah, no Mr Satan. Arale + Suppaman is all the gag you need.

Roshi is worthy to be in, tho and technically you don`t need to fly as a main mechanic in the game.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Hell, I'm not that keen on Bardock either. I'm afraid they'd do what a lot of modern DB stuff does and give him a lot of undue pomp and circumstance. If Bardock has Super Saiyan, that's a no-no.
Video-games will always show stuff seen in the anime (well, except Dragon Ball Online, for obvious reasons). From the viewpoint of merchandising, Episode of Bardock is a legit anime episode, so I would say the chances of us seeing Bardock without his Super Saiyan form in a game after Dragon Ball Z: for Kinect is smaller than anything else. If he makes it to this game, expect his Super Saiyan form as well, and be totally surprised if he appears without it.

Well, he sort of is. He's canon but he debuted in a spin-off and isn't part of the main story.

I don't like Super Saiyan Bardock because a) Episode of Bardock was nonsense and b) it's a transparent merchandise grab that misses the point of Bardock's character. It's the nadier of the "Super Saiyan bargain sale" because Bardock was supposed to be little more than an above-average warrior who saw Freeza's destruction of Vegeta coming but ultimately couldn't do anything to stop it. Plus, a big part of Goku's backstory is that he came from nothing and worked his way up to becoming the legendary Super Saiyan, but having him be the son of the "real" legendary Super Saiyan sort of ruins that.

Given FighterZ's goal of being faithful to the original manga first, I like to think if they did include Bardock they will keep with the classic portrayal of him. I still don't think he's that worth a spot in the roster.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

Well, he sort of is. He's canon but he debuted in a spin-off and isn't part of the main story.

I don't like Super Saiyan Bardock because a) Episode of Bardock was nonsense and b) it's a transparent merchandise grab that misses the point of Bardock's character. It's the nadier of the "Super Saiyan bargain sale" because Bardock was supposed to be little more than an above-average warrior who saw Freeza's destruction of Vegeta coming but ultimately couldn't do anything to stop it. Plus, a big part of Goku's backstory is that he came from nothing and worked his way up to becoming the legendary Super Saiyan, but having him be the son of the "real" legendary Super Saiyan sort of ruins that.

Given FighterZ's goal of being faithful to the original manga first, I like to think if they did include Bardock they will keep with the classic portrayal of him. I still don't think he's that worth a spot in the roster.
loyal by giving goku a form he hasnt used in the manga?

at this point it wouldnt shock me if bardock just has it as a move

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 am

Kataphrut wrote:Given FighterZ's goal of being faithful to the original manga first, I like to think if they did include Bardock they will keep with the classic portrayal of him. I still don't think he's that worth a spot in the roster.
It's definitely not FighterZ's goal. From what we have seen they are going with the anime version of Toriyama canon which includes anime colors on the characters and elements of Super too, Bardock's classic portrayal is not from the manga tho, it's from the anime, and later Toriyama added a panel of him to his manga, and made Dragon Ball Minus which contradics his original backstory from the anime special.
But yeah, black hair Bardock all the way, tho if they consider him, a lv3 in SSJ mode wouldn't hurt, because he has just a couple of moves, and that won't be enough.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:51 am

Not sure what the argument is about over the characters. Aren’t Toei and Bandai involved. Every character who makes these guys money is going to be in there. The fact that they have an active on going series makes sense for them to throw SSBs in there. I doubt they will have any other Super characters in the base game but who knows the point is it seems to be a primarily Z oriented game and the primary contributor to including Super characters would be to cash in on fan excitement and promote Super. Including those characters seems to have little to do with the quality or contributions especially since I don’t believe Arc is known for included a ton of same characters as multiple character slots. Idk it seems obvious someone wants certain characters in for marketing reasons. Also why I’m surprised to see Yamcha in there.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:15 am

You`re surprised to see the whole classic FigtherZ gang in there?

I`m not. They`re iconic and still popular, if Yamcha`s spin-off Mangan numbers is good indication.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 am

I think the roster so far is very good. The only eyesores being the Blue Saiyans which if they give us Beerus and another Super antagonist, either Hit or Zamasu/Goku Black, become less so.

For how much I dislike clone characters, I proportionally like logic and good representation. If you're going to show off Super to a significant degree, let's say 4 DLC characters and 3.5 initial characters(counting Freeza and the Blue Saiyans as half a character), it makes sense to show off the main characters in their new forms.

The only other thing I would change is SSJ2 Gohan, I rather have Kid Gohan instead. Of course this is my opinion and it's not really valid as critique to the game, since they represented Gohan in more than one stage something they had to do.