"Dragon Ball FighterZ" for EVO

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

"Dragon Ball FighterZ" for EVO

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Since ArcSystem is actually pushing for this game to be competitive so why don't we support it and make that a reality?

I mean, imagine Dragon Ball being played in the same league as great fighters like Street Fighter, Tekken, and King of Fighters. The first ever licensed fighting game to be widely accepted as competitive by the FGC.

It'd be another big milestone for Dragon Ball, especially for the games.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" for EVO

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Ever since I discovered what EVO is I wished to see a Dragon Ball game there. I hope this one will make it (why shouldn't it?).
I hope to spend a shit ton of time on this game because if I do it will mean I will love this game. And if I will love it, I will definitely try to get as good as I possibly can.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm

To be honest I dont understand what makes a game "competitive".

Not trying to be a wise ass at all, I legit want someone to explain why this is conpetitive and Xenoverse 2 is not...especially with so many more options in battle.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:To be honest I dont understand what makes a game "competitive".

Not trying to be a wise ass at all, I legit want someone to explain why this is conpetitive and Xenoverse 2 is not...especially with so many more options in battle.
Let me take a crack at this:

Arc System Works games in general tend to feature characters with extraordinary mobility and overly complicated motion requirements. Their games reward aggression and to some degree outright punish passiveness. Characters generally have lots of ways to move around: double jumps, dashing while airborne, etc. To be honest, the games can look kind of chaotic if you don't have someone to explain what's going on. The overall plan is to dart quickly in and out of attack ranges trying to either catch your opponent flat footed or to bait an attack that you can dodge and counter.

The signature feature to the Guilty Gear series is the "roman cancel". At the expense of some of your super meter, you can cancel anything that your character is doing. The character stops whatever animation they're in and instead goes to the Roman Cancel animation which is very short. One of the more common uses you'll see is a character throwing a projectile attack of some sort, then performing a Roman Cancel after the projectile is on screen. This allows the attack to dash in behind the projectile and gain some cover as they approach to attack.

The range of combos in Xenoverse 2 are still limited and very much identical across the board. Every character ultimately fights in the same fashion. But there is major reason why Xenoverse 2 would never be considered a competitive fighting game. And that reason is that the roster is not balanced. The stats, like health, damage per hit and stamina, are not balanced across the roster at all in Xenoverse 2. Characters like Goku Black, Metal Cooler, SSJB Goku/Vegeta, Golden Freeza and Omega Shenron are already head and shoulders above 80% of the roster in terms of abilities and stats that, in any kind of competitive fighting competition, they would have to be excluded from the roster for sake of competitive balance.

Games Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom and Guilty Gear, feature characters that have individually distinctive fighting styles for which you either have to adapt to or master. In Xenoverse 2, you can pick up any character, input the same button commands and you will get the same combo in the same style. There is no differentiation whatsoever. You can't play the same way you would in Xenoverse 2 as you would in other fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom and Guilty Gear, because every character will have a different ranges of combos that will either play up to their strengths, and in the hands of the talented gamer can end the fight quickly, or will highlight their weaknesses, for which in the hands of a not so knowledgeable gamer, can leave you exposed and open wide for the quick kill.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Am I the strange one here? I see no appeal with the majority of Arc Systems' games, nor do I see the appeal with their DBZ game. It just seems poor.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:To be honest I dont understand what makes a game "competitive".

Let me take a crack at this:

Arc System Works games in general tend to feature characters with extraordinary mobility and overly complicated motion requirements. Their games reward aggression and to some degree outright punish passiveness. Characters generally have lots of ways to move around: double jumps, dashing while airborne, etc. To be honest, the games can look kind of chaotic if you don't have someone to explain what's going on. The overall plan is to dart quickly in and out of attack ranges trying to either catch your opponent flat footed or to bait an attack that you can dodge and counter.

The signature feature to the Guilty Gear series is the "roman cancel". At the expense of some of your super meter, you can cancel anything that your character is doing. The character stops whatever animation they're in and instead goes to the Roman Cancel animation which is very short. One of the more common uses you'll see is a character throwing a projectile attack of some sort, then performing a Roman Cancel after the projectile is on screen. This allows the attack to dash in behind the projectile and gain some cover as they approach to attack.

The range of combos in Xenoverse 2 are still limited and very much identical across the board. Every character ultimately fights in the same fashion. But there is major reason why Xenoverse 2 would never be considered a competitive fighting game. And that reason is that the roster is not balanced. The stats, like health, damage per hit and stamina, are not balanced across the roster at all in Xenoverse 2. Characters like Goku Black, Metal Cooler, SSJB Goku/Vegeta, Golden Freeza and Omega Shenron are already head and shoulders above 80% of the roster in terms of abilities and stats that, in any kind of competitive fighting competition, they would have to be excluded from the roster for sake of competitive balance.

Games Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom and Guilty Gear, feature characters that have individually distinctive fighting styles for which you either have to adapt to or master. In Xenoverse 2, you can pick up any character, input the same button commands and you will get the same combo in the same style. There is no differentiation whatsoever. You can't play the same way you would in Xenoverse 2 as you would in other fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom and Guilty Gear, because every character will have a different ranges of combos that will either play up to their strengths, and in the hands of the talented gamer can end the fight quickly, or will highlight their weaknesses, for which in the hands of a not so knowledgeable gamer, can leave you exposed and open wide for the quick kill.
That is mostly right about Xenoverse in terms of button combos but every character really does have their own style in terms of when you can cancel moves with a dash or ki blast, when you can circle around etc.

I get it though. Its more balanced (which isnt something I care about...I fight as Goten and get wins online against good characters) and the aggression level is supposed to be higher.

Your post at least gave me a good idea of the differences thanks.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:40 am

Sometimes more options doesn't always mean a deeper game. And sometimes a deeper game doesn't mean a more competitive one (too much mechanics are a thing)

The thing with Xenoverse is that by now, the meta game has been all figured out. Movement is very samey across all characters and their difference is in how well you can tie their normals with Ki-blasts cancels (so that automatically makes #16 low tier) to teleports. Combos, while varied with lots of routes offer no actual gameplay difference besides animations and style, at neutral you're going to use the loop that's easier to bait a teleport with and if the opponent is stamina broken you go for the most damaging one with very reason to use anything else. The netcode being shit also means that some things are outright BETTER than others (lol Super God Fist overriding teleports) and the variation system for the cast means some characters can't get the best out of them because some supers are locked to another costume.

It definitely has potential to become a good 3D Arena Fighter, but it's not there just yet.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:39 am

"Dragon Ball Fighter Z has been developed approx 20%. (by Tomoko Hiroki Producer)"

https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/ ... 6698913793

It would be very neat if a couple of Dragonball (not 'z') characters were to be included. The likes of Muten Roshi (Jackie Chun), Piccolo Daimao, 23rd tournament arc Chi Chi, Tambourine, Bulma (they could do wonders with her), Kid Goku, Grandpa Gohan, Arale and Devilman springs to mind.

I could't really care about GT, Movies (other than Gogeta and Janemba) and Super to be honest, i am aware that the majority doesn't hold my consensus on this matter.

Does anyone share my sentiments in liking to see some characters from the original series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:49 am

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:"Dragon Ball Fighter Z has been developed approx 20%. (by Tomoko Hiroki Producer)"

https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/ ... 6698913793
So the game is only 20% finished? Hmm. At least that's an indication that they are taking their time with this. They've still got at least 6-7 months to finish the game.