Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:05 am

Quebaz wrote:Reminder that Burst Limit sold better than Raging Blast and yet Burst Limit never got a sequel while Spike went on to develop Raging Blast 2 which sold even less.
This makes me sad. I would take a sequel to Burst Limit over a sequel to Raging Blast any day of the week.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:30 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Quebaz wrote:Reminder that Burst Limit sold better than Raging Blast and yet Burst Limit never got a sequel while Spike went on to develop Raging Blast 2 which sold even less.
This makes me sad. I would take a sequel to Burst Limit over a sequel to Raging Blast any day of the week.
As would I. It's an underrated gem in the Dragon Ball videogame library.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Dimps wants more time for a third XV game. I think them having two years to work on a XV3 is a good idea seeing that we won't see a XV3 until 2019.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:33 pm

I don't see why not, it is like they have to bound by one type of game, take Sega and sonic they giving fans both 3D and a 2D game.

Also I do love how it is assumed everyone loves FighterZ the game isn't already out yet and I am bored of it. People are acting like we haven't got a DB game before, yes the game looks good but it is severely over-hyped already, I am not gonna bother getting it day one just gonna fizzle out after a month.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:16 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't see why not, it is like they have to bound by one type of game, take Sega and sonic they giving fans both 3D and a 2D game.

Also I do love how it is assumed everyone loves FighterZ the game isn't already out yet and I am bored of it. People are acting like we haven't got a DB game before, yes the game looks good but it is severely over-hyped already, I am not gonna bother getting it day one just gonna fizzle out after a month.
Severely overhyped? At 20% we already have more depth than any Dragonball game like, ever. All the "hype" is about finally getting a competitive fighter who's gameplay isn't reduced to "pick ur favorite skin lol they all play same but u can have chaotzu vs puar!". Kind of sad when you think about it, no?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't see why not, it is like they have to bound by one type of game, take Sega and sonic they giving fans both 3D and a 2D game.

Man, look at those awards it got on E3 alone. There is huge potential and praise from fighting game players that tried it there to begin with.
I don't remember anything like that with other DB games before. So yeah, compare fighter based on the solid and really good Guilty Gear gameplay with mediocre franchise titles before, and sure, looks like overhype.

Btw. does anyone know, how good XV2 fares in sales?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:34 am

Hell no! This way you can have games filling for both sides of the fanbase: those who want casual and fun fights against a variety of characters and those who want "deep" fighting mechanics (whatever that means) and a competitive scene.

Especially since usually, games that are supposed to be catered to the competitive side of Fighting Games need time and resources brought into it, not just good gameplay. You can't bring a new game, wish it be an eSports hit then drop it one or two years later. The only company doing that is NRS, but they they pour a ton of money to get their games featured and their games aren't that competitive either way.

Add to that the fact that FighterZ will have tough competition from MvC Infinite, for which, even being overshadowed at E3 due to a variety of reasons, voices have made themselves heard in it being still top quality gameplay-wise. Capcom games are still huge in the FGC. Take SFV, for example: shunned almost universally but it's still the main event at any worthwhile tournament.

To think that FighterZ will singlehandedly be able to keep up with the demands a huge IP like Dragon Ball has is a little too optimistic. I have no doubt the game will be a hit. It has amazing buzz and is almost guaranteed to be a great game, but that's not enough to be a success on the competitive scene. Unless it's handled with responsibility, by giving it time to develop, putting resources into promoting it, making it fun to WATCH too, not just play and, honestly, helping it overcome the anime-license game stigma. Otherwise, it can fall in the Mortal Kombat trap: get forgotten the moment something new comes out, the difference being MK (and Injustice) are only superficially interested in the competitive side, unlike this game that seems to have that as the main goal.

Having something like Xenoverse 3 or another casual catered game in between can only help a game like this be successful, because the audiences are different enough to not steal thunder from each other, makes enough money to throw some behind it (it's the same IP after all) and doesn't need a long life span.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Why on earth would you say that? FighterZ is an entirely different kind of game than Xenoverse. Although I love the graphics, I don't know that the game would do too much for me. I'd be very sad if they discontinued Xenoverse.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:32 pm

That was because their contract with Dimps was up and I think BL was the last new game under Atari, before Namco took over (to my knowledge). Thats mainly why. Also the vocal 3D fandom at the time wanted more BT3-like games so Namco presumed the majority market wanted that. Even though people demanded Dimps to come back after UT, they instead went 3D again. Fighter Z is only here by the miracle that the more recent resurgence in popularity of 2D fighters again, and Namco wanted a hat to throw in.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Didn't see this posted here and it feels kinda relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGxoIPUSvcA

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:05 am

Zidiane wrote:Didn't see this posted here and it feels kinda relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGxoIPUSvcA
Those fictions nowadays... They could at least try to represent the real life a little more accurate, coudn't they? :roll:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Also I do love how it is assumed everyone loves FighterZ the game isn't already out yet and I am bored of it. People are acting like we haven't got a DB game before, yes the game looks good but it is severely over-hyped already, I am not gonna bother getting it day one just gonna fizzle out after a month.
I mean, we haven't gotten a traditional fighting game for this franchise since 2006 and before that the last time we had one was in 1997 and it was s terrible one at that. (Not really counting the Budokai series here, they're a different breed). For some, seeing that FighterZ is another take on that style, made by developers with almost 2 decades of experience in flashy, over the top anime styled fighting games is the entire reason to get excited.

If Bamco and Arc don't fuck this up we will finally have a game that is actually worth a damn for its ganeplay longevity, something this franchise hasn't seen in years.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 pm

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Xenoverse 3 is in development.

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Absolutely not. Fighter Z is going to be my replacement for the shitty MarvelvsCapcom game they dropping, but it doesn't look like a game that's going to entertain me with story or online play. Fighting games like these are great for first play value, boredom, having friends over, etc., but they can't replace a full 3D story and online game. I'd be really disappointed with no more Xenoverse like games until this series is done.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 am

I don't believe the series should be discontinued because it's good to have a wider variety of games. Xenoverse, for example, while battle-oriented, seems to have somewhat of an adventure element, while FighterZ seems exclusively battle-oriented. Diverse game mechanics are also important; Dokkan Battle's combat is arranged in a unique way while Xenoverse and FighterZ control far differently due to the system they are designed for.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Tribesman

Post by Tribesman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 am

To say beforehand, I have not played the Xenoverse series of games, and I have not had the pleasure to try FighterZ at E3. However, I have seen a lot of gameplay of both and think I can put some words in.

I think both games have their place as both individual games as well as part of the Dragonball family. They are targeted at two different audiences. I have a very short history with traditional 2D fighting games, such as FighterZ, and it always has ended with me being frustrated about not knowing all of the combos, blocks, tells, the whole kit and kabootle. Xenoverse reminds me of a mix of a regular fighting game mixed with RPG elements (which is exactly what it is). To be completely honest, as of this moment my favorite ever Dragonball game is Supersonic Warriors for the GameBoy Advance. Just love that thing.

I feel completely comfortable with both existing. Different audiences, different games. We will see how FighterZ progresses as it comes closer to release (Future Trunks reveal looked great). I am honestly just still so happy that Dragonball content is still coming out with strength.
- Steam: [TGH] Tribesman - YouTube: TribesmanGaming - Origin: ITribesmanI - uPlay: Tribesman256 -

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Xenoverse 3 will probably be the last in the series for a few reasons:

1. It likely started development before anyone knew Fighter Z was being made

2. Most Dragonball Fighters don't go past a third game before rebooting

3. It will likely be the final game on the current generation of platforms. They'll probably just support it with DLC.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 am

The game seem way too successful to end anytime soon. They're the most successful games in the series ever really.

There's also way too much potential for growth for them to stop. Between all the Super content, the original story content, the hub and online portion of the game and that the fighting itself isn't that great then they can easily keep going.

If they were smart they'd alternate between Xenoverse and FighterZ games for a while.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:56 pm

I don't see why we can't get both.

I don't really have any interest in FighterZ at the moment (I'm not really seeing anything special about it beyond the pretty graphics to be honest), but I'm not gonna insult people who do want it by saying it shouldn't exist. It's two different developers, so there's absolutely no reason why both can't be made.

I have plenty of fighting games I can enjoy (I'm actually quite partial to ArcSys' own Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, though I'm a bit rusty at the moment), and I don't personally think that DBZ needs to be made into a "hardcore fighting game." At the same time, I enjoyed Super Dragon Ball Z on the PS2, so I'm not against the idea.
However, I think that DBZ works best in the form of something like Xenoverse. It's casual enough that a player can just jump in and have fun, but deep enough that you do need some level of skill to succeed.

There's no reason why both can't exist. They're different games for different audiences within the same fandom. The claims that just because FighterZ is "hardcore fighting game" that it should prevent Xenoverse 3 (or any further potential sequels) from happening are just stupid, and trying to belittle people who enjoy the Xenoverse games as casuals is just immature. Here's some knowledge... you can be a hardcore gamer and still enjoy a casual game.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Both games need to keep existing, so that Heroes can take more characters from them :p

For a serious answer, no, I don't think either game should supplant the other. It's nice to have options.