Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Keep both. Have Xenoverse go for a year or so, then drop FighterZ, then switch back off the next year. That way, each game gets at least 2 years in development, while still pumping out a Dragon Ball title annually. Both fanbases (and those that like both) win.

Plus, I've never really been able to fight past say, the Easy level for straight up fighting games. Just could never get the right button combos, arrow directions, etc right beyond the basics. The way Xenoverse did it? I like the fighting, overall, much better.

Though I'll still probably get FighterZ.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Xenoverse has a better fighting engine than it gets credit for, but it's hurt by a lack of polish. I like the idea of both existing in tandem. FIghterZ can be the hardcore fighter with emphasis on quality and mechanics, while Xenoverse can be the big toybox. I think it does a better job of that than Tenkaichi.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 pm

shadd21 wrote:With all the positive reactions to FighterZ, what's the point in making a Xenoverse 3 when there's a better dbz fighting game. Should FighterZ be the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward?
No, as they have nothing to do with each other.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 am

They look different. They play different. They are made by different developers. They can satisfy different audiences within the fanbase.

[insert 'whynothaveboth' gif here]

And I sincerely do not understand the hostility towards FIghterZ by some people. It reminds me of the negativity when Resident Evil 7 was announced to be a pure survival horror game, which put the RE action fans in an uproar. We waited 10 years to get a 2.5D DB fighting game that wasn't made for a handheld console, why the Tenkaichi crowd has been getting 3D DB simulators for the past 12 years. Heck, we waited ALL OUR LIVES to get a SOLID, 2D Fighting game that wasn't looked down on by anyone other than a DB fan!

I remember when I got my first DB game, Final Bout. I was playing it side by side on my PSX with Marvel Super Heroes. I loved them both, but I always knew deep down that the only reason I loved Final Bout was the fact that it was a DB game. I would never have bothered with it if it didn't have the brand. I remember me saying "Man, what wouldn't I give to have a Dragon Ball game just as awesome as Marvel Super Heroes ...".

FighterZ is that game. It's a dream game for me, it's the game I've been wanting ever since I watched the 22nd Budokai. And I want to see quite a few sequels (or season passes, if it comes to it).

But all that doesn't mean I want Xenoverse to be done with. XV2 is so far a great evolution for the DB simulator genre, and there's plenty of room for refinement and tuning. It's far from done.

I want. Both.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:45 pm

no, they over wildly different plots and experiences