Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Post by shadd21 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm

With all the positive reactions to FighterZ, what's the point in making a Xenoverse 3 when there's a better dbz fighting game. Should FighterZ be the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Now that we have FighterZ, should the Xenoverse series be discontinued?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Of course not. In 2006 we had Sparking! METEOR alongside Super Dragon Ball Z alongside Battle Stadium D.O.N. All on the same console.

Things are allowed to live alongside and in contrast to one another. Not everyone wants to play every given genre (even/especially sub-genres within the overall fighting classification). Variety is good. It gives the developers and rights-holders a chance to experiment and see what sticks. When things are going well and you have some safe, profitable hits under your belt (see: the Xenoverse games and even the recent 3DS games), that's a great opportunity to try new things.

While they have the time and opportunity, they're looking to see if they can come up with something that will do even BETTER than before. If it does, great; they'll do more of that. If it doesn't, great; they'll fall back on what they had before and build up steam again.

I don't think it's likely, possible, or responsible to base a multi-year business plan off a few days of internet responses.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 pm

shadd21 wrote:With all the positive reactions to FighterZ, what's the point in making a Xenoverse 3 when there's a better dbz fighting game. Should FighterZ be the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward?
Please God no. The idea of having ONLY 2.5D fighters is almost enough to give me depression. Ill be buying it because its DB but I'm not personally very excited for this game.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Dragotaker
Regular

Post by Dragotaker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
shadd21 wrote:With all the positive reactions to FighterZ, what's the point in making a Xenoverse 3 when there's a better dbz fighting game. Should FighterZ be the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward?
Please God no. The idea of having ONLY 2.5D fighters is almost enough to give me depression. Ill be buying it because its DB but I'm not personally very excited for this game.
This. at least when it comes to Dragon Ball games i prefer them 3D like Xenoverse and like the other poster said variety is good so you can have both or even more.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Dragotaker wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
This. at least when it comes to Dragon Ball games i prefer them 3D like Xenoverse and like the other poster said variety is good so you can have both or even more.
Exactly. I have 0 issue with both...it would be cool if one year we got one, then the other, then back and forth....to scrap it completely though? No way.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Absolutely not. There is still so much they can be with the Xenoverse series in terms of gameplay improvements and expanding the story.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:30 pm

No way Xenoverse stops here. XV3 will be the next announced console DBZ game easily.

FighterZ was very surprising to me but a welcome one. Totally different teams are handling development so they can easily run in tandem, I'd even say XV3 is in early development as we speak. They cater to very different audiences as well, more casual Z fans and fighting game players will flock to FighterZ I think where they may not have given XV a second look.

Looks like we are entering a second golden age of DBZ games guys!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Dimps already said there will be a XV3 but it would take longer than XV2 did which was a year and a half so that might be why we have this game in the first place, to give them time to work on XV3.

If this game works out then both franchises will have at least 2 years of development which will result in better games, something that probably couldn't be done if they just had one.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm

No Xenoverse is doing too well for Bamco to just give up on it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm

shadd21 wrote:what's the point in making a Xenoverse 3 when there's a better dbz fighting game.
Huh... What!? :crazy: No, Dragon Ball FighterZ is not even close to be better than Xenoverse. So far, it doesn't even have what it takes to be "the best" of anything (okay, maybe to be "the best 2.5D style" but that's debatable and an issue I won't get myself involved into).

Unless Dragon Ball FighterZ brings a legit Story Mode that deviates from Raditz to Buu, bringing an original (or Dragon Ball Online based) and awesome content, lots of info and etc, this game does not deserve to be "the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward".

A game takes a lot more more than "nice graphics" and "gameplay", you know. :wink:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:02 pm

God no. This new one is going to be completely awful.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:03 pm

No.

I think Xenoverse is complete dogshit and I think this looks like the first really great DBZ game in almost a decade but I'd rather see the yearly game releases alternate between this series and Xenoverse than to see this one get run into the ground by annual sequels like the Budokai and Tenkaichi games. No reason not to keep something going for everybody, it's not like the two are in competition.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:44 pm

I personally don't care about Xenoverse as is, but I think with DB FighterZ it could finally be time to actually rebrand the markets. Because with FighterZ, we don't have to demand an impossible "Balanced, Competitive, Open World 3D fighter" that Namco boxed the game market into for a long time. With that expectation taken off of Xenoverse, maybe if these games existed in parallel: where XV could actually go into being more of an action RPG for the casual audiences and etc, to branch off pressure to be a balanced fighter that many argue it isn't. Then we can have the 2D fighters for the competitive players so we can get both demands met and not compromise 1 game to have everything. (People wanting CaC and a BT3 roster in FighterZ have the wrong expectations.) I think Namco-Bandai should consider this.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Funny, that the near decade of nothing but the slant of non-stop Tenkaichi 3 cash-in clones and only 3D games, was what gave Me depression. I got sick of that in the same parallel, people wanted more BT3 after 2D games held the market. I'll buy this just because its finally the change from that fruitless hope for a BT4 with 300 characters, that people hold out for.
Grimlock wrote:Unless Dragon Ball FighterZ brings a legit Story Mode that deviates from Raditz to Buu, bringing an original (or Dragon Ball Online based) and awesome content, lots of info and etc, this game does not deserve to be "the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward".A game takes a lot more more than "nice graphics" and "gameplay", you know. :wink:
No, I disagree. What makes a good dragonball game is going to be different from what makes a good fighting game, and the format of the game changes the expectations. If FighterZ is more of a traditional fighting game, then its standards are going to be solely on gameplay; over fandom-fluff like storymode, and the need for a "new story" (which I personally do not care for) as most traditional fighting games are made for the play, not universe immersion. So say that, DBFZ won't be a "good" game unless it has an "original storymode" is ridiculous. Most people who plan to play DBFZ don't care about that. They want a competitive game. To rate DBFZ by "nNice graphics" and "Gameplay" if thats the general standard for any fighting game, then that is what DBFZ's merits are on.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I personally don't care about Xenoverse as is, but I think with DB FighterZ it could finally be time to actually rebrand the markets. Because with FighterZ, we don't have to demand an impossible "Balanced, Competitive, Open World 3D fighter" that Namco boxed the game market into for a long time. With that expectation taken off of Xenoverse, maybe if these games existed in parallel: where XV could actually go into being more of an action RPG for the casual audiences and etc, to branch off pressure to be a balanced fighter that many argue it isn't. Then we can have the 2D fighters for the competitive players so we can get both demands met and not compromise 1 game to have everything. (People wanting CaC and a BT3 roster in FighterZ have the wrong expectations.) I think Namco-Bandai should consider this.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Funny, that the near decade of nothing but the slant of non-stop Tenkaichi 3 cash-in clones and only 3D games, was what gave Me depression. I got sick of that in the same parallel, people wanted more BT3 after 2D games held the market. I'll buy this just because its finally the change from that fruitless hope for a BT4 with 300 characters, that people hold out for.
Grimlock wrote:Unless Dragon Ball FighterZ brings a legit Story Mode that deviates from Raditz to Buu, bringing an original (or Dragon Ball Online based) and awesome content, lots of info and etc, this game does not deserve to be "the sole dbz fighting game for consoles going forward".A game takes a lot more more than "nice graphics" and "gameplay", you know. :wink:
No, I disagree. What makes a good dragonball game is going to be different from what makes a good fighting game, and the format of the game changes the expectations. If FighterZ is more of a traditional fighting game, then its standards are going to be solely on gameplay; over fandom-fluff like storymode, and the need for a "new story" (which I personally do not care for) as most traditional fighting games are made for the play, not universe immersion. So say that, DBFZ won't be a "good" game unless it has an "original storymode" is ridiculous. Most people who plan to play DBFZ don't care about that. They want a competitive game. To rate DBFZ by "nNice graphics" and "Gameplay" if thats the general standard for any fighting game, then that is what DBFZ's merits are on.
Yeah, that is why its good to have a mixture of games because we will all have equally valid likes and dislikes. I generally dont like hyper aggressive fighting games because I enjoy the mental aspect of a battle and the fact I can move side to side which is more realistic.

To be honest from the trailer I dont see much difference, besides graphics, from a game like Extreme Butuden which was meh. I mean I'm sure the gameplay is better than that dont get me wrong.

Maybe when I play the game Ill understand the hype.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm

no , because i'm a fan of both 2d and 3d fighting games

also many of xenoverse fans aren't used to competitive fighting games .
My English is poor .

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm

DrakenballP wrote:God no. This new one is going to be completely awful.
how?
My English is poor .

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 pm

You must be joking. Please be joking. If not, please do tell us why you feel this way. Because goddamn I'm genuinely curious as to why someone would think this new game could be awful based on everything we've seen so far.

TheCharmCityKid

Post by TheCharmCityKid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:56 am

Two completely different games I like apples and oranges why should I just eat apples. Dragonball fighter Z looks like a heavy competitive 2D fighter like Marvel vs Capcom 3 but with DBZ characters,,,, because it's a fighting game it will suffer from a lack of a deep roster and I doubt the story mode will be much however the graphics are great, the game mechanics look great and it's look like it has a chance to be taken seriously competitive wise. I play xenoverse to emerse myself in the Dragonball world and have fun battles like SSJ 4 Goku vs SSG Goku or have my created Saiyan fighting along side Goku in real DBZ events and I don't look at Xenoverse as a serious fighter but more as a really fun game.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 am

No, but if FighterZ sells like hotcakes, and Xenoverse 3 doesn't, they might. But both games sold pretty damn well IRC, so I'd be shocked if it didn't.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 am

Posts like this are not welcome. You are clearly not interested in having an actual conversation. If all you have is a single-line, dismissive post to make, you don't actually have a post to make in the first place.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::