Female Fighters being playable in the "Dragon Ball: FighterZ" game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Re: Female Fighters being playable in the "Dragon Ball: FighterZ" game

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:There has been some debate within the fandom (at least on the FighterZ GameFaQs sub-board) on if there'd be any female characters playable as they fear the game may be a sausagefest. What are you're thoughts on the matter?
I don't and won't care what some sjw would mind about a manly roster. Terms like "sausagefest" are male hating enough to warrant my absolute despise. What is wrong with no women? Or should we stick some just because?

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:35 am

And now, Herbert, you double post only to eat your own words.

Brace yourselves; Android 21 is coming.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:53 pm

The new meme is going to be that only Android Women are playable in FighterZ :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 am

DragonBallLove wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:There has been some debate within the fandom (at least on the FighterZ GameFaQs sub-board) on if there'd be any female characters playable as they fear the game may be a sausagefest. What are you're thoughts on the matter?
I don't and won't care what some sjw would mind about a manly roster. Terms like "sausagefest" are male hating enough to warrant my absolute despise. What is wrong with no women? Or should we stick some just because?
Because women kinda make up 50% of the population and they put new and interesting spins on fighting styles and tone. Plus many folk's favourite characters are female like Chi-Chi, Videl, and so on.

As for Android 19, she looks like she might have been Gero's secretary.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:21 am

DragonBallLove wrote:I don't and won't care what some sjw would mind about a manly roster. Terms like "sausagefest" are male hating enough to warrant my absolute despise. What is wrong with no women? Or should we stick some just because?
It is not about SJW at all. I hate this. The reason is simple. We just want WAIFU material. That's all.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:As for Android 19, she looks like she might have been Gero's secretary.
Android 21.

And she's more than likely his wife. She has a ring on her finger and red hair just like #16, who's modeled after Gero's son.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Her ring on a wrong finger.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
DragonBallLove wrote:I don't and won't care what some sjw would mind about a manly roster. Terms like "sausagefest" are male hating enough to warrant my absolute despise. What is wrong with no women? Or should we stick some just because?
It is not about SJW at all. I hate this. The reason is simple. We just want WAIFU material. That's all.
That aside, we just don't see that much of these characters because Dragon Ball is a story about fighting, and if you can't fight, you're going to be useless within an arc or two. This effect isn't exclusive to female characters (see Yamcha, Tien, Krillin, eventually even Piccolo and Gohan get it), but it happens to every female character who shows up. Chi-Chi re-appeared for the 23rd Tournament to fight Goku and was good enough to make it to the finals (and she trained Goten while Gohan was in school), and Videl is talented enough to put up a decent fight with a guy like Spopovic. This not to mention 18 being a major villain character who beats the crap out of every Z Fighter who shows up. But all are relegated to being moms standing on the sidelines, to the point where Videl seems like a completely different character to me.

It really wasn't until Caulifla and Kale showed up that we got female characters who could keep up with the boys. I'd toss in Gine as well but she didn't seem to be much of a fighter even by Saiyan standards.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 pm

KBABZ wrote:
DragonBallLove wrote:
Because women kinda make up 50% of the population
But why an anime/manga-based fighting game should have a roster that reflect this? BTW I agree they could bring interesting styles like Brianne or something but then you should be searching for those and not women just because women. What you argue in your last post (too lazy to quote it) makes way more sense but still you point to the problem, sidelineness for many characters and women happen to statistically suffer more from that problem.
Ranmaru Rei wrote:We just want WAIFU material. That's all.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Arcsys has stated that they're choosing characters by merit of having them in the roster, not because of reasons like gender. Dragon Ball as a franchise just doesn't have that many prominent female fighters, so yeah the roster will be a bit of a sausage-fest. That's just how it goes. Maybe we'll have a few more female characters in the roster, but don't expect the roster to be even close to be equal because Dragon Ball just factually has mostly male fighters.

Though if I were to choose a female roster addition it would be Bulma in a mech. Yup. :P
BrolyKale wrote:Kale (if Broly isn't there)
Except there is literally no reason to have Kale over Broly. She is actually just Broly with less material for a moveset.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 am

DragonBallLove wrote:But why an anime/manga-based fighting game should have a roster that reflect this? BTW I agree they could bring interesting styles like Brianne or something but then you should be searching for those and not women just because women. What you argue in your last post (too lazy to quote it) makes way more sense but still you point to the problem, sidelineness for many characters and women happen to statistically suffer more from that problem.
I agree with TekTheNinja that it is almost impossible to get 50/50% for the game, because it is Dragon Ball. But you should admit majority of DB games tried to get noticeable female presence. All because of MARKETING (©MasakoX). Super DBZ even had Chi-Chi in the roster… and she was top-tier, lol. Really, I would say, she was broken. The game can have good female presence. I believe, it will have more than 2.
KBABZ wrote:It really wasn't until Caulifla and Kale showed up that we got female characters who could keep up with the boys. I'd toss in Gine as well but she didn't seem to be much of a fighter even by Saiyan standards.
Technically Vados was first call, IMHO.
KBABZ wrote:But all are relegated to being moms standing on the sidelines, to the point where Videl seems like a completely different character to me.
Yeah. And it is shame, IMHO. I can understand, she has a child and all parent responcibilities. But she still can training, at least. Toriyama, why?
KBABZ wrote:That aside, we just don't see that much of these characters because Dragon Ball is a story about fighting, and if you can't fight, you're going to be useless within an arc or two. This effect isn't exclusive to female characters (see Yamcha, Tien, Krillin, eventually even Piccolo and Gohan get it)
Yeah… and Yamcha is in the game. I mean, ArcSys can make a character viable, if they want.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 am

Except there is literally no reason to have Kale over Broly. She is actually just Broly with less material for a moveset.
But we never know...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:13 am

Kale is canon, Brolly is not, lol.
Jokes aside, I don't see a reason for Kale without Califla. If Kale will be in, Califla should will be too.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:34 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote:Kale is canon, Brolly is not, lol.
Jokes aside, I don't see a reason for Kale without Califla. If Kale will be in, Califla should will be too.
I can imagine Caulifla having Kale as an assist character. Would help balance the fact that Kale has that whole Legendary Super Saiyan thing that makes her overpowered even by FighterZ standards, so that can be reserved for the special attacks.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 am

KBABZ wrote:I can imagine Caulifla having Kale as an assist character. Would help balance the fact that Kale has that whole Legendary Super Saiyan thing that makes her overpowered even by FighterZ standards, so that can be reserved for the special attacks.
Lol. It is a fighting game. It is not valid here. She will be OK. I'm playing fighting games a lot. So, my experience says, that she will be or a typical grappler (Zangief, Potemkin, Iron Tager), or a typical heavy-hitter (Abigail, Goro, Azrael). A lot of health, a lot of damage, armor on some moves, big hurtbox, slow movement.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:10 am

KBABZ wrote:
Ranmaru Rei wrote:Kale is canon, Brolly is not, lol.
I can imagine Caulifla having Kale as an assist character. Would help balance the fact that Kale has that whole Legendary Super Saiyan thing that makes her overpowered even by FighterZ standards, so that can be reserved for the special attacks.
Yeah I agree. Also Broly has more fans than Kale, the canon thing doesn't matter here. Marketing wise Broly >> Kale. But I'd like to see Kale with Caulifla, like C-18/C-17. I'd have prefered to see Kale to be her own character and not just a C/P of Broly, thats lame. I like both of them but i still prefer Broly.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am

We can have both. Just ArcSys should give them different playstyles. They can.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote:We can have both. Just ArcSys should give them different playstyles. They can.
Well I'd like to have both... but i dont think its possible unless Kale has her own moveset.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:26 am

I do not want a female character being chosen over a unique character with significantly more presence in the series just because of what gender they happen to be, if you want a 50/50 game I recommend playing streetfighter or marvel vs capcom . The only female character justifiable to be put in this game is 18 after that you'd have to be doing mental gymnastics to justify any other female because they have a limited skillset besides the standard super strength, flying and ki blast spam*.

The closes character that might have merit of being in this game could only be caulifla, but I don't see what she could bring to the table that would be diverse skillsetwise other then being female . The game is already loaded to the gills with saiyans that can everything she can do only better .

*and some of the females mentioned in this thread don't even posses some of these abilities.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 am

If only Caulifla had more to show off, but right now she is just a generic character. And the game is in development, i dont think they will wait for Caulifla until she shows some originality in the tournament or later in the anime... maybe as a DLC character she has her chances, maybe... idk
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu