What would you say the odds of this game dethroning Budokai 3 will be?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What would you say the odds of this game dethroning Budokai 3 will be?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 pm

As we all know, Budokai 3 is generally considered the pinnacle of DBZ fighting games. It was easily accessible , was cel-shaded eye-candy, and had a lot of the DBZ essentials but on top of that it actually had a good amount of depth as a fighting game. It pleased both casuals and hardcore alike, even if they're not a fan of Dragon Ball.

However, FigherZ looks promising as a DB fighter that actually can be taken seriously in the same light as Street Fighter or Tekken on top of being super satisfying aesthetically.

What's your thoughts...?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: What would you say the odds of this game dethroning Budokai 3 will be?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Can't dethrone what was never at the throne.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:42 am

Budokai 3 was definitely on the throne. Burst Limit and other incarnations of Budokai 3 were arguably better games but the original Budokai 3 was one of the biggest surprises that year. Reading the overwhelmingly 4/5's and other high marks for a Dragonball Fighter? I can't tell you how shocked I was. Prior to that every review and preview of every Dragonball game had "You know the series isn't known for it's good video games.." or something to that effect.

I'ts on the throne because it was known throughout the whole gaming community as the one Dragonball game that finally broke free of that and delivered a solid, enoyable fighter.

That being said, absofuckinglutely FighterZ will sit on the throne.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 pm

I'd definitely say that, as far general critical reception goes, Budokai 3 definitely sits comfortable at the top. That being said, the Dragon Ball (Z) fighting games never reached to standard of fighting games, whether it be 2.5D or 3D arena fighters, that it can be debated than a metaphorical "throne" didn't even exist within the realm of Dragon Ball (Z) videogames. However, Dragon Ball FighterZ shows more potential of being a great Dragon Ball game and a great fighting game more than anything that has come before it.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 am

Personal opinion:

I think Fighter Z appeals more to the core fighting game audience than Budokai 3 ever did. It's not that it's a 2D fighter either, as DOA5 and Tekken have a strong player base. Rather, I think it's the quality that appears to have been put into the game. Budokai 3 feels like a stripped down version of DOA with projectiles.

In other words, as a fighting game, I think the Fighting Game Community takes Fighter Z more seriously because it looks like the developer themselves are taking it seriously.

Fighter Z takes Dragon Ball and molds it's concepts to match a fighting game's systems. Budokai 3 takes fighting game systems and molds it to Dragon Ball.

Well, that's how I see it at least. I could be wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:50 am

Beating Budokai 3 won't be that hard. Being better than Super DBZ would be a different story since people consider that one to be the best DBZ game.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Videlphia76ers
Beyond Newbie

Post by Videlphia76ers » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 am

Whatever's on the throne, it was on PS2. Tenkaichi 3 or Budokai 3 are interchangeable based on one's preference.
Cool dudes do cool stuff like 5 Chipotle burritos

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 pm

I think it's a tough call. Fighter Z will be taken much more seriously competitively than Budokai 3 was, but we still don't know what it will offer in terms of content, story, and accessibility.

Budokai 3 was easy to pick up and play, but had just enough depth to keep semi-serious fighting game players like myself interested. It also had a highly replayable story mode, a pretty big roster, really cool looking ultimate moves, customization options, a fun level up system, and a fantastic soundtrack.

If the Blaz Blue games are anything to go by Fighter Z could very well end up having a solid story mode itself. I still don't know if it will be enough to draw casuals in, but time will tell. One thing to be optimistic about is many people from the Fighting Game Community already saying that its beating Marvel vs Capcom Infinite at its own game.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:07 am

It's outright denial to claim that Budokai 3 wasn't the top fan favorite for the longest time. I doubt this game will top it because it'll scare casuals away. Like Super DBZ, was a fun game, but casuals didn't like it and now it's only mentioned by fighting fans.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 am

OLKv3 wrote:It's outright denial to claim that Budokai 3 wasn't the top fan favorite for the longest time. I doubt this game will top it because it'll scare casuals away. Like Super DBZ, was a fun game, but casuals didn't like it and now it's only mentioned by fighting fans.
Why would it scare casuals away?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 pm

OLKv3 wrote:It's outright denial to claim that Budokai 3 wasn't the top fan favorite for the longest time. I doubt this game will top it because it'll scare casuals away. Like Super DBZ, was a fun game, but casuals didn't like it and now it's only mentioned by fighting fans.
Super DBZ failed because it was poorly marketed. FighterZ has actual hype behind it because it's marketed well and the game actually looks like a DBZ game instead of Street Fighter with DBZ skins.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Budokai 3 has nostalgia behind it, but Fighterz might have EVO.

My guess is Fighterz will be more popular with gamers and newer DB fans but Budokai 3 will generally still hold up for people who grew up playing it.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:59 am

Quebaz wrote:
As a casual in fighters, I'm not scared but I do know this game isnt for me exactly. Though Ill be playing it anyway.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Quebaz wrote:
It'll take much more skill and time to get good at it, compared to games like B3 and BT where you can just jump in and have fun. Most fighters are like that. Like Street Fighter, GG, or Tekken

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:46 pm

FighterZ looks like it's going to be the most competitive game in the franchise, so the odds might not be that far off at the moment. Of course, the game isn't out yet, so we don't know for sure.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Fighterz will have to bring out a more impressive roster than Budokai 3 with surprises in it [Budokai 3 had Kid Goku, Bardock, Broly, Cooler (Metal Cooler), Omega Shenron, SS4 Goku, and SS4 Vegeta], a great fighting system (which it appears it does), BEAM BATTLES (something the Xenoverse games are lacking), and interesting way of telling the story (which according to interviews, they are inspired by the Xenoverse games to not just retell the story. If that's the case, I'm all for it). Let's be honest, the games aren't comparable as fighting games. Its like comparing Street Fighter to Tekken. Or should I say MvC and DOA?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Budokai 3 at least had a story mode that was playable so...

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:22 am

This game topping "Dragon Rush: The Game"? Doesn't seem difficult at all. Between that and the glowy-red-can't-be-fazed power-up thing (when was that ever a thing in DBZ?), I don't understand the hype for this game.

Hopefully this game will be free of any shoehorned features like those that neither add to the game nor actual simulate something from the series proper.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:43 am

Pretty high, I'd say.