Reasons why 17 should be playable in "FighterZ"

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Reasons why 17 should be playable in "FighterZ"

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm

17 deserves his own slot in the game and deserves much more than just being his sister's assist. i'm tired of these people who are in charge of 2D games wanking 18 just because she's the female character i DO NOT CARE ABOUT HER. you can't force us to play as her, she's so lame they have to give her 17's moves and are using 17 as a way to promote her.
17 and 18 aren't "clones" they never fought together in canon, and anyone who says they're clones and shouldn't have seperate slots then you're a huge hypocrite ! why ? because you're okay with Goku and Vegeta having a seperate slot for different transformation and with Gohan and his other versions. but 16 is more unique, uuh so ? 17 is unique too ! him being 18's twin brother doesn't make him less unique than 16 who had a 2 minute fight in the series or his sister who's only major battle was with Vegeta and she never fought again all she has going for her is "oh she's female"
People want 17 in the game !

BlackMagick
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Reasons why 17 should be playable in "FighterZ"

Post by BlackMagick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:53 pm

While I do agree that 17 is not a clone character and that he does deserve a spot, at the end of the day, we do have to take a step back and realize that 18 is pretty much the ONLY viable female candidate for a spot in this game. Honestly, if it had to come to it, I would pick 18 over 17 for that very reason. And on the subject of fights that they've had, I'm sure they're about even. 18 took on Vegeta, while 17 fought everyone else who interfered and they both fought Gohan and Trunks in that alternate timeline. On the subject of them fighting together, they do. At least in the History of Trunks, anyway. Even though I think it's kinda neat to have 17's inclusion via Ultimate move (and possibly Supers?), I think it's kinda lame that the only female character that we have thus far has a male character assist. 18 is a strong female cyborg who don't need no man. :lol: I mean, really thinking about it though, what other female characters are even likely to be in the game? Videl? Maybe. Bulma? Not likely, possibly in a mech. Chi-Chi? Not incredibly likely. Mai? Improbable. But anyway, obviously, the ideal choice is to have both androids in, but how different are their fighting styles? I wouldn't have guessed 16 would be in, either but he has a very unique style of play as a grappler. Goku and Vegeta have their SSB forms as playable because their fighting styles change between SSJ and SSB; of course that's not to mention the fact that those slots are hilariously easy to market from a merchandising standpoint. Early access of these characters are incentive to pre-order the game, which would not have been possible if they were just transformations or alt skins.

TL;DR: 17 and 18 are not different enough according to the devs. 18 has priority because she's female and there is lack of female candidates in Dragon Ball. Excuse for SSB characters deserving their own slot: THEY ARE EXTREMELY MARKETABLE! :wink:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm

It's obvious they would chose 18 over him, also because she became part of the main cast while 17 faded into obscurity from the moment Cell absorbed him all the way till very recently in Super. 17 went a literal 20 year gap between episode appearances.

That being said, it is possible all this outcry for 17 would convince them to make him DLC at least. So if you really want 17 I don't think all hope is lost.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

A few hundred people on the internet isn't enough to exclaim "People want 17 in the game". You do, a lot of people do and a lot of people don't.
If it was an overwhelming opinion for either extreme surely it would make waves.

I didn't particularly want #17 in the game, we had this discussion in the game thread where I explained the reasons in detail and why I think #18 is more relevant at the current juncture, I also discussed why I didn't enjoy Blue Goku and Vegeta inclusions and very recently talked about the versions of Gohan.
I resent the name calling, the topic isn't black and white, I offer my discussions in the game thread as an example. This isn't how you make a point by attacking people instead of their arguments.

I'll repeat why I think #18 is more important than #17 and why she should take preference over her brother. They are more less equally important until the end of the Cell Games, both have one major fight, #18 a bit more relevant due to appearing more and her relationship with Kuririn.
With the Boo Arc everything changes, #17 appears in one panel..., that's it. #18 appears significantly more, has a fight with the kids and with Mr. Satan, the last one turns into a side story for her and the World champ.

Super exists, I know. It's an ongoing arc which probably isn't relevant to the game developers. Even then #17 appeared in maybe 10 episodes and at this point is marginally more relevant than her sister in the Tournament of Power.

I understand that you are frustrated that your favourite character is in the game in a secondary role, this isn't how you go about it.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 pm

LightBing wrote:A few hundred people on the internet isn't enough to exclaim "People want 17 in the game". You do, a lot of people do and a lot of people don't.
If it was an overwhelming opinion for either extreme surely it would make waves.

I didn't particularly want #17 in the game, we had this discussion in the game thread where I explained the reasons in detail and why I think #18 is more relevant at the current juncture, I also discussed why I didn't enjoy Blue Goku and Vegeta inclusions and very recently talked about the versions of Gohan.
I resent the name calling, the topic isn't black and white, I offer my discussions in the game thread as an example. This isn't how you make a point by attacking people instead of their arguments.

I'll repeat why I think #18 is more important than #17 and why she should take preference over her brother. They are more less equally important until the end of the Cell Games, both have one major fight, #18 a bit more relevant due to appearing more and her relationship with Kuririn.
With the Boo Arc everything changes, #17 appears in one panel..., that's it. #18 appears significantly more, has a fight with the kids and with Mr. Satan, the last one turns into a side story for her and the World champ.

Super exists, I know. It's an ongoing arc which probably isn't relevant to the game developers. Even then #17 appeared in maybe 10 episodes and at this point is marginally more relevant than her sister in the Tournament of Power.

I understand that you are frustrated that your favourite character is in the game in a secondary role, this isn't how you go about it.
Ok thank you for being respectful, i really respect your opinion i really do, but people were mocking us on other forums saying how 17 is just a clone and doesn't deserve his own spot and as you said i am frustrated.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Development of this game started before the current tournament of power arc. The game developers likely had no idea 17 would return to the show. You probably won't see any of the other current Super characters like Caulifa, Kale, etc. part of this game either.

I imagine this game will go as far as the Zamasu/Black arc and that's it, and 17 had no appearances in Super at that point.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:17 deserves his own slot in the game and deserves much more than just being his sister's assist.
You should explain why that is, instead of just saying so.
i'm tired of these people who are in charge of 2D games wanking 18 just because she's the female character
It's not the people who are in charge "wanking" her, it's the playerbase. It's very common for players of anime fighters to want to play as their "waifus," and #18 is simply the best candidate for that role the series has.
i DO NOT CARE ABOUT HER. you can't force us to play as her,

It doesn't matter whether your care about her or not, and nobody is forcing you to play as her.
she's so lame they have to give her 17's moves and are using 17 as a way to promote her.
They're taking two incomplete and unsatisfying halves and combining them together to make a character that feels whole. It's pragmatic.
17 and 18 aren't "clones" they never fought together in canon,
They may never have fought in tandem, but they were always faced as a duo. One was always in the presence of the other, except in the Boo arc when #17 was written out of the story completely. So it's natural to have them as a tandem character in this game.
and anyone who says they're clones and shouldn't have seperate slots then you're a huge hypocrite ! why ? because you're okay with Goku and Vegeta having a seperate slot for different transformation and with Gohan and his other versions.
Geez, generalize much?

First of all, I'm not necessarily OK with SSB Goku and Vegeta having their own slots but that's because I don't want SSB in the game at all for the purely selfish reason of not being a fan of Super. But in the context of the game I can live with it because of a simple fact: SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta are waaaaay more important than #17, who by comparison is a minor and insignificant character.

As for Gohan, it's a different scenario because his different forms are of different ages so they naturally play differently from each other. Kid Gohan is a tiny little kid, while adult Gohan is a grown man. But I don't really want either of those versions of Gohan in the game.
but 16 is more unique, uuh so ? 17 is unique too ! him being 18's twin brother doesn't make him less unique than 16 who had a 2 minute fight in the series or his sister who's only major battle was with Vegeta and she never fought again all she has going for her is "oh she's female"
#16 is inherently more unique than #17 just because of the way he's built. He may have only had one fight scene but it was enough to establish him as a grappler which stands in stark contrast to the other characters in the game. #17 has nothing of the sort going on. He's built identically to #18, there's only so differently he can play from her.
Doesn't matter. There are people who don't want #17 in the game, and people who don't care either way. It's a silly hill to die on.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:44 am

After listening to the interview that...I forgot his name, had with one of the developers I can respect the decision to have 17 as an assist for 18 and I actually think its a cool concept. Though I wouldn't see why not just have an option to choose to be either 17 or 18 if they are seen as clones with either being an assist for both. I don't know why any fighter I see has hard time doing this but I'm not a development expert.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
Doesn't matter. There are people who don't want #17 in the game, and people who don't care either way. It's a silly hill to die on.
The producer said she's aware that people want 17 so yeah it doesn't matter who doesn't want him in it but who does considering we all want to play as our favorites.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Oh, God. This again?

We've been over this. 18 will always be a top choice in character selection because she's (up until very recently) the only legit female fighter character in the series. If you wanted to have a female character in a DB fighting game, you had to put in 18. Simple as that.

Not having the most important and popular female character in the game (#18), is like not having the most important and popular male character in the game (Goku).

I don't care about 17, but I can fully understand you being disappointed with what they did to him in this game (unless the 'leak' concerning him being a skin for 18 is true, in that case you should be fine). I will also be disappointed if Gero and Cooler won't make it in the roster, but I will not throw temper tantrums left and right, claimed that no one cared about say, Broly, and that 'people want Gero'. Even if it *was* true, I don't speak for 'the people'. I speak for myself, and you should too.

This attitude of supposedly speaking for a large group of people when in reality you speak only for yourself in an attempt to make your argument sound better is childish and should not be encouraged in any way.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Oh, God. This again?

We've been over this. 18 will always be a top choice in character selection because she's (up until very recently) the only legit female fighter character in the series. If you wanted to have a female character in a DB fighting game, you had to put in 18. Simple as that.

Not having the most important and popular female character in the game (#18), is like not having the most important and popular male character in the game (Goku).

I don't care about 17, but I can fully understand you being disappointed with what they did to him in this game (unless the 'leak' concerning him being a skin for 18 is true, in that case you should be fine). I will also be disappointed if Gero and Cooler won't make it in the roster, but I will not throw temper tantrums left and right, claimed that no one cared about say, Broly, and that 'people want Gero'. Even if it *was* true, I don't speak for 'the people'. I speak for myself, and you should too.

This attitude of supposedly speaking for a large group of people when in reality you speak only for yourself in an attempt to make your argument sound better is childish and should not be encouraged in any way.
Umm hello ?!! i have legit proof that people WANT 17, i have polls and proof that most people care about him more than 18, even the producer admitted that they recieved several complaints from people wanting 17 to be playable you should watch her interview, i'm not speaking for people i'm speaking for all his fans. 17 is NOT Gero, you don't see a large group of people wanting Gero or complaining about him not being in the game. i don't care if 18 is in or not in as long as it doesn't effect 17's presence in these games.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:The producer said she's aware that people want 17 so yeah it doesn't matter who doesn't want him in it but who does considering we all want to play as our favorites.
That doesn't mean anything. Again, for all you know the people who are desperate for #17 to be in the game are a vocal minority.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:05 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:The producer said she's aware that people want 17 so yeah it doesn't matter who doesn't want him in it but who does considering we all want to play as our favorites.
That doesn't mean anything. Again, for all you know the people who are desperate for #17 to be in the game are a vocal minority.
Vocal minority or not it was enough to get to the producer who said she got many people requesting for 17.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:20 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Vocal minority or not it was enough to get to the producer who said she got many people requesting for 17.
Any surge of fanboys can do that. It still doesn't matter, because that's the "vocal" part of the vocal minority.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:28 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Any surge of fanboys can do that. It still doesn't matter, because that's the "vocal" part of the vocal minority.
She said " we got a lot of comments about people wanting 17" hear that ? "A LOT" key word. believe whatever you want minority or not people were enough vocal oh sorry WE WERE vocal enough for the people involved in the game hear we want him in it I don't give a crap about who doesn't want him in it.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:She said " we got a lot of comments about people wanting 17" hear that ? "A LOT" key word. believe whatever you want minority or not people were enough vocal oh sorry WE WERE vocal enough for the people involved in the game hear we want him in it I don't give a crap about who doesn't want him in it.
Good for the vocal minority. Still means nothing, and you still haven't explained why #17 should be playable in FighterZ.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:She said " we got a lot of comments about people wanting 17" hear that ? "A LOT" key word. believe whatever you want minority or not people were enough vocal oh sorry WE WERE vocal enough for the people involved in the game hear we want him in it I don't give a crap about who doesn't want him in it.
Good for the vocal minority. Still means nothing, and you still haven't explained why #17 should be playable in FighterZ.
I did you just ignored it and decided to act salty.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Lapislettuce wrote: Umm hello ?!! i have legit proof that people WANT 17, i have polls and proof that most people care about him more than 18.
And I have legit proof that the latter statement is bullshit.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/jun ... -fighterz/

Here's the thing: 17, in DBZ at least, was as much important to the cell arc as Zarbon, Dabura and Nappa were in their respective arcs. He's no final villain, he's a mid-tier enemy who at some point in the arc was a stepping stone for the hero(es) to overcome. He's not a character that 100% has to be in, like Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan are. He will always belong in conversations like:

Dev1: We can have Cell and two androids in the roster ... whom should we pick?
Dev2: How about 17 and 18?
Dev3: Hmm ... well, they are quite similar. Why not pick one of them and 16 to accompany the former?
Dev1: Alright, 17 or 18?
Dev2: Well, we need to have at least one girl in this game, so ...
(Everyone nods)

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:07 am

Lapislettuce wrote: I did you just ignored it and decided to act salty.
You never did.

A vocal minority of fanboys wanting #17 in the game isn't a reason to put him in.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: Umm hello ?!! i have legit proof that people WANT 17, i have polls and proof that most people care about him more than 18.
And I have legit proof that the latter statement is bullshit.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/jun ... -fighterz/

Here's the thing: 17, in DBZ at least, was as much important to the cell arc as Zarbon, Dabura and Nappa were in their respective arcs. He's no final villain, he's a mid-tier enemy who at some point in the arc was a stepping stone for the hero(es) to overcome. He's not a character that 100% has to be in, like Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan are. He will always belong in conversations like:

Dev1: We can have Cell and two androids in the roster ... whom should we pick?
Dev2: How about 17 and 18?
Dev3: Hmm ... well, they are quite similar. Why not pick one of them and 16 to accompany the former?
Dev1: Alright, 17 or 18?
Dev2: Well, we need to have at least one girl in this game, so ...
(Everyone nods)
How is my statement bullshit when i shared a poll with 17 winning over 18 ? in case you haven't seen it here it is again ! Image
Also it shouldn't be that hard to make 17 playable and give him different movesets, they did it with ssb goku and Vegeta.