Budokai 3 vs Tenkaichi 3

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Budokai 3 vs Tenkaichi 3

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 pm

This is probably one of of the more heated debates in the Dragon Ball video game fandom outside of Kanzenshuu, so I figured I'd ask it here. Which of these 3rd installments would you say is better?

On the one hand, you have Budokai 3 which plays more like a true fighting game with a refined system that allows for fun combinations, in addition to some flashy ultimate moves and an expansive story mode that gives you a lot to do. On the other hand, you have Tenkaichi 3/Sparking Meteor which plays more like a Dragon Ball simulator, has arguably more fast paced combat, and a massive roster that encompasses not just all of Z, but also a good chunk of GT and even OG Dragon Ball.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Budokai 3 vs Tenkaichi 3

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 am

Tenkaichi 3 for me. It has all the characters and stages I could want from a DB game of that time.

It'll be interesting to see how a XenoVerse 3 will be compared to them whenever it's released (probably early-mid 2019).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 am

I like both, honestly.

Shad73
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shad73 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I didn't get Tenkaichi Budokai 3, but I have every reason to suspect it's the culmination of what the series was trying to do in terms of character roster and move list. However, I feel like Budokai 3 has aged significantly better with the HD remastering of the collection annexing itself and the original Budokai. I feel as though it's not a comparison between two games for which one's better, but a display between two games' revelation as to what our traditional desired Dragon Ball game is.
One-Punch Man would be a better anime for a beat-em-up game not dissimilar to PS2 title God Hand, but Dragon Ball isn't what we normally associate with that genre. It's clear that a game like Dragon Ball FighterZ wants to compete with the very foundations of what made the Dragon Ball game franchise from its' beginning. I think it even wants to challenge the original Budokai, which for years has been my favorite. I think only the Xenoverse series and Budokai 3 have been my cup of tea, since then.
Seeing the world as neutral is a gift; then you see the most beauty.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Can't beat Budokai 3's story mode, and all the free-roaming discoveries you can make with all the different characters and alternate realities playing out.... BUT, I distinctly remember a very immersive experience with Tenkaichi 3 from every aspect. It's a tie for me....
El Conejo Malo

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:26 pm

Definitely Budokai 3. BT3 may be a better DBZ game but B3 is hands down a better fighting game... arguably the closest a DBZ game has ever gotten to being competitively viable till FighterZ and it did nearly everything right. As much as I enjoyed the Tenkaichi games, I always felt they (and Spike in general) were more about quantity than quality.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Budokai 3, and it's not even remotely close.

To be entirely honest, I think Tenkaichi 3 sucks. It fails as a game, and as fanservice is barely skin deep... and that skin ain't very pretty to begin with. I don't necessarily need a DBZ game to be a super deep competitive fighter, but I like a little bit of gameplay to go with my game.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Definitely Budokai 3. BT3 may be a better DBZ game but B3 is hands down a better fighting game... arguably the closest a DBZ game has ever gotten to being competitively viable till FighterZ and it did nearly everything right. As much as I enjoyed the Tenkaichi games, I always felt they (and Spike in general) were more about quantity than quality.
Definitely agree with you on the Spike games (even if I do have some fondness for BT2 and Tenkaichi Tag Team), but as far as competitive viability, what about Super Dragon Ball Z? That was after Budokai 3, wasn't it?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Nia wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Definitely Budokai 3. BT3 may be a better DBZ game but B3 is hands down a better fighting game... arguably the closest a DBZ game has ever gotten to being competitively viable till FighterZ and it did nearly everything right. As much as I enjoyed the Tenkaichi games, I always felt they (and Spike in general) were more about quantity than quality.
Definitely agree with you on the Spike games (even if I do have some fondness for BT2 and Tenkaichi Tag Team), but as far as competitive viability, what about Super Dragon Ball Z? That was after Budokai 3, wasn't it?
Yeah dat too... it actually had a very active tournament scene in Japan till 2009 and recently saw a resurgence.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:52 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Nia wrote:
Yeah dat too... it actually had a very active tournament scene in Japan till 2009 and recently saw a resurgence.
That's good to hear. I always felt like it got left out a lot.
...Kinda wish I still had my copy. Can't play PS2 games anymore anyway though.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:35 pm

Tenkaichi 3 was always fun. I owned it for the Wii, and the motion controls made it feel like I was fighting in DBZ.

I dumped several hundred hours into Budokai 3. Fighting in World Tournaments, unlocking Breakthroughs

I have to give it to Budokai 3. Tenkaichi 3 is fast paced fun, but Budokai 3 is by far a much more solid experience.

Goku1000

Post by Goku1000 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:08 pm

I know Figher Z just Came out, Tenkaichi 3 was EASILY the Most Satisfying Dragonball game I have ever experienced. Yes it is better then budokai 3, I wish they Made ps4 games more like those, expescially bring the versus mode back.
By the way, if you are looking the BEST and most AFFORDABLE Dragonball Merchandise
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND --> Dragonballstar.com

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 am

Budokai 3 will probably always be my favorite Dragon Ball game, but as an overall game I feel Tenkaichi 3 beats it as the definitive Dragon Ball game of it's time.

Story Mode

B3 - You got to play in a neat overworld and play through specific character's stories, but only choosing one character limits the amount of worth some have over others (Teen Gohan, Yamcha, Uub and others have like 2-3 fights their whole story, why even bother having them, yet the villains don't have a story). The overworld is charming and all but after playing through it and unlocking all the secret goodies, which isn't really much in total, there isn't much else. it's also just a chore to go to fights and you cannot choose which fights you want (If you want to play Goku vs Kid Buu, you have to go through all fights and Sagas to get to him, which is tiresome after a bit)

BT3 - Covered all Sagas, including OG Dragon Ball, GT and What-If Scenarios (OG Dragon Ball alone makes it better, but that's just me :D ) Including little What-If fights in the main missions like what if Roshi fought Broly etc which gave a lot of charm. No overworld or anything, just pick any fight you want and off you go.

Combat

B3 - Fighting is a lot more technical and feels like an actual fighting game, plenty of style and fast combat when pulling off combo cancels, juggles etc. but there's also two major problems, Dragon Rush and Hyper Mode. Dragon Rush stops the action and turns into a game of Rock Paper Scissors. A luck based system is not good especially when it can deal a whole bar of health in one go if you guess wrong. Hyper Mode allows you to perform Ultimate Attacks, and gives you armor that eats everything and not flinch to attacks except specials and charge moves. It drains Ki and you get fatigued when it runs all out, which is fair-ish, but if you activate an Ultimate or Dragon Rush it stops Hyper Mode avoiding all problems listed above.

BT3 - You can feel like you're the character as you fly freely through the stage, breaking buildings mountains and such, but every character aside from their special attacks and Ultimates, all feel relatively the same, although it makes sense as the game has over 140 characters. It's also hard to be offensive when basically every mechanic in the game is made to stop people from attacking like Vanish, Z Dodge and the like, not to mention some characters like Broly, Great Apes and other big characters have armor and can't flinch unless their opponent is stronger than them power level wise (Goku can't flinch Broly, but Goku SSJ3 sure can) it makes playing some characters feel like their being punished for no real reason.

Music

There's really no debate for me, Yamamotos soundtrack for Budokai 3 is a masterpiece. Tenkaichi 3s soundtrack isn't bad and it gets me pumped, but it's nowhere near as good.

Other

B3 - You can unlock voice clips, original openings of the Budokai games and music which is cool but there's really no modes to play besides Tournament, Story and Dragon Arena. Customization is kind of limited, choose your moves, gear to increase stats and an item to use in battle which is also mainly to increase stats.

BT3 - You have a glossary to read about characters and stuff, a variety of modes like Story, Tournament, Team Battle, Survival, Mission Mode, Dragon Road and a few others that change up the basic style of fighting. Customization is relatively the same except no need to equip moves, just items and stats.

After everything listed, it sounds like I prefer Tenkaichi 3 which surprised me after writing this, but even after everything I still pick up Budokai and feel like a kid again, which I don't get with Tenkaichi for some reason. Tenkaichi 3 is definitely a better game in total with a lot more going for it for a Dragon Ball fan.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:arguably the closest a DBZ game has ever gotten to being competitively viable till FighterZ
Uhh, Super DBZ says hi.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:arguably the closest a DBZ game has ever gotten to being competitively viable till FighterZ
Uhh, Super DBZ says hi.
Tell it I say hi back.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 am

Tenkaichi 3 missing some of the story mode aspects that Budokai 3 has. (really should be comparing Tenkaichi 2 vs. Budokai 3, though I'd still give it all to Budokai 3).

Fighting in BT3 feels really dull and clunky if I must put an educated opinion on the table. In B3 punches and kicks actually give off more of an impact kind of feeling. If that makes any sense. While the levels are indeed smaller, the graphics and visuals are far superior in B3.

Ultimate/Special attacks in Tenkaichi 3 = WTF happened there? What I mean is that they are totally lame and lack any suspense. I do actually own and have played Tenkaichi 3 before so I'm not blindly just disliking the game based on what other people say. The Ultimates in BT3 are a lot less exciting and visually weak compared to those in B3. It's worlds apart, like they just did not try at all to make any of the attacks look cool in BT3.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun May 27, 2018 3:39 pm

So I actually just started playing through Budokai 3 properly for the first time this year. Reasons. And despite the go arounds being much shorter and the small touches I already enjoyed in later Dimps games enlivening the fighting a bit, the time I shoveled into Dragon World over a decade ago came calling and all I could think was "Oh no. Time to unlock the fun stuff again." Played through Tenkaichi 3 properly last year; no such whiplash from the longer and slightly more arcane (potara fusion for characters?) Tenkaichi 2.

And its because Tenkaichi gave you the core play from the first moment, which makes the story modes that much less of a chore, and while the characters are clones, the core system they operate on is fast and loose enough to offset them. The Budokai trilogy has terribly stiff fighting that loses a lot of what makes a lot of makes 2d fighters fun in the first place, locks the cool stuff that mitigates that away, and just doesn't have enough going even at high level play to distingush its recycled skeleton characters in a way anyone lesser could appreciate. The PS2 Dimps games typically have better presentation, character designs, and art, yes, but that's fluff. Still fun, though; nigh-100%ing Dragon World is a video game regret but not a joyless one... FighterZ story mode taking a few cues would have made a world of difference!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Mattias_
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mattias_ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Tenkaichi 3 by a country mile.

Better play.
POWER LEVELS: (Updated / Restored / Leveled / No multiplier nor daizenshuu wrong info)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14197&p=1519362#p1519362 Check it out if you want some information.

POWER LEVELS:

Jaco the Patrolman vol. I - XI
Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball vol. I - XLII
Dragon Ball Super manga cap. 1 - ???

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:51 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:So I actually just started playing through Budokai 3 properly for the first time this year. Reasons. And despite the go arounds being much shorter and the small touches I already enjoyed in later Dimps games enlivening the fighting a bit, the time I shoveled into Dragon World over a decade ago came calling and all I could think was "Oh no. Time to unlock the fun stuff again." Played through Tenkaichi 3 properly last year; no such whiplash from the longer and slightly more arcane (potara fusion for characters?) Tenkaichi 2.
Tenkaichi introduce its own absurd method for unlocking extras like burying certain characters in that annoying Dragon Tour feature or how a bulk of the Missions in Ultimate Battle were hidden in Sim Dragon.
And its because Tenkaichi gave you the core play from the first moment, which makes the story modes that much less of a chore, and while the characters are clones, the core system they operate on is fast and loose enough to offset them.

This doesn't change much because plenty of the characters are still hidden within story mode and the story mode itself is wack.

...and by "fast and loose", I presume you mean button-mashy and mindless.
The Budokai trilogy has terribly stiff fighting that loses a lot of what makes a lot of makes 2d fighters fun in the first place

Except Budokai isn't even a 2D Fighter. It's more of a traditional 3D Fighter like Tekken or Virtua Fighter which are more combo-based rather than execution and timing based.
locks the cool stuff that mitigates that away
I mean the capsule skills, which are readily available anyways? Besides, there's Dragon Rush (even though it's rock-paper-scissors mechanic) which is pretty flashy and can be useful at lower levels.
and just doesn't have enough going even at high level play to distingush its recycled skeleton characters in a way anyone lesser could appreciate.
This "the characters are clones" stigma towards Budokai I never got. Sure you can say the animations are shared but the characters are different in terms of range, speed, properties, combo setups, capsules skills, etc. Take Piccolo and Kid Buu for example- both characters can stretch their arms for extra reach, but they are vastly different in playstyles. Kid Buu is about confusing the opponent with his wild and unpredictable fast chains while Piccolo prefers safe pokes to keep the opponent at bay with his mystic ability.

This isn't the case with Tenkaichi which does have more unique fighting animation for each character but they all have the same combo setups and only a handful of uniquely-functioning supers with minor differences in speed, properties, and range.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
and just doesn't have enough going even at high level play to distingush its recycled skeleton characters in a way anyone lesser could appreciate.
This "the characters are clones" stigma towards Budokai I never got. Sure you can say the animations are shared but the characters are different in terms of range, speed, properties, combo setups, capsules skills, etc. Take Piccolo and Kid Buu for example- both characters can stretch their arms for extra reach, but they are vastly different in playstyles. Kid Buu is about confusing the opponent with his wild and unpredictable fast chains while Piccolo prefers safe pokes to keep the opponent at bay with his mystic ability.

This isn't the case with Tenkaichi which does have more unique fighting animation for each character but they all have the same combo setups and only a handful of uniquely-functioning supers with minor differences in speed, properties, and range.
It's an advantage of the genre. You can dodge and spam beams or endlessly lock on and rush down to get the job done in Tenkaichi, but the game shows off all of its quirks in short order, and you know all them are a button or two away- the game is right there, and you only lose what you choose not to try. Budokai, meanwhile, spends so long getting you accustomed to the handful of acceptable strings and a few death moves to get through the Story modes that the thought that the game has a neutral never occurs to you. You wouldn't know the cancel system existed in a vacuum unless you turned the difficulty up high enough to see the AI do it (horror stories of "Sidestep -> 10-hit string -> Warp Kamehameha, rinse, repeat" coming back right now! :lol: ). That's not flogging Budokai for having something to sit down to learn, just that the game just doesn't train you to look for it at all. Of course Buodokai 3 isn't my biggest frame of reference, Budokai 2 and Shin Budokai 2 are.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada