How long will it take people to realize that Budokai Tenkaichi 3’s roster is basically just 4 characters?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

How long will it take people to realize that Budokai Tenkaichi 3’s roster is basically just 4 characters?

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm

I may be exaggerating but still! It’s a clone roster. People complain about games having to many Goku clones, meanwhile the game everybody praises for having the biggest roster is legit made of clones of less than 10 characters. From the attacks to the combos.

People dont know what they are getting. Xenoverse 3 will have the REAL largest Dragon Ball roster for a console game ever with each character being about 90. Dragon Ball FighterZ has 100 percent unique characters and even then they are adding the lesser characters like Ginyu, Nappa, Tien, Yamcha, etc.

When you take away the fact that the roster isn’t really that big, the game is just on the level of Raging Blast because the game’s whole gimmick was that it had a “massive roster”.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

precita
Banned

Re: How long will it take people to realize that Budokai Tenkaichi 3’s roster is basically just 4 characters?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Are we even getting a Xenoverse 3?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: How long will it take people to realize that Budokai Tenkaichi 3’s roster is basically just 4 characters?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 am

I agree, but this was the wrong way to tackle this topic. But yeah, the BT games aren't good.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:28 am

precita wrote:Are we even getting a Xenoverse 3?
Yes. In an interview for FighterZ ironically, when the creator was asked about if we would get more 3D DB games, she said that yes we will still be getting more Xenoverse.

Also super successful db games tend to have 3 games especially if the second game isn’t a bust in which XV2 wasn’t considering how much money it made.

And in a XV2 interview, when asked about XV3 the creator said to just focus on XV2 for now which didn’t debunk XV3 at all, plus he said “for now”.

And I'm sure that the fans don’t want to wait for another series to start just to have to wait to increase the roster per game. Xenoverse already has most of the wanted characters, a new game would kinda be underwhelming in terms of roster unless the other aspects are off the charts like FighterZ.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:59 am

This isn't a particularly new idea or revelation in 2017. Plenty of people (uhh... myself included!) have levied these complaints(?)/observations about the series and its successors since it began.

Different people like different games for different reasons. It's all fine and dandy until you start playing the childish "fuck you, you can't enjoy what you enjoy, gimme what i want" game after getting your giant roster casual/action-based fighters for a decade across three generations of consoles.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 am

At least Budokai Tenkaichi 3's gameplay is a little different than "spam vanish" Xenoverse 2. It had a very fun gameplay and some great modes, it was, and still is, addicting as hell. So no, BT3 isn't only "massive roster".
I fully believe Xenoverse 3 can surpass BT3 in terms of fun, but as for XV... I was really deluded its gameplay as it's not enjoyable at all. Doing the same combos over and over during the PQs got me bored soon. BT3 had many more fighting options, not to mention Ultimate Attacks are actually viable in that game while in Xenoverse 2 the only way to land one is to stamina break. The stamina-heavy gameplay of XV2, which also makes all those annoying air kicking/punching possible, ruins it for me. Hopefully Dimps will rework their fighting system for Xenoverse 2.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Phozz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Phozz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm

*THE CROWD ERUPTS AS THEY RISE FROM THEIR SEATS WHILE APPLAUDING! THEY CHANT WHILE TRYING TO HOLD BACK THEIR TEARS... "ANIMENATION101 FOR PRESIDENT!"* *ANIMENATION101 GRACIOUSLY ACCEPTS THEIR REWARD FOR BEING PERSON OF THE MILLENNIUM* *I WHIMPER... "ANIMENATION101... YOU'RE A HERO* Seriously though, people really need to stop treating BT3 like it's the best game of all time because "It had the biggest roster". It was a GREAT game, but it was far from perfect.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah, XV fans are reacting to FighterZ, like it's killed their beloved franchise, while XV2 is still getting new content at this very day. (and from what things looks like, they will probably even announce XV3 later this year)

And yes, in BT/XV all the characters play in a very same way, and even the core game engine is far from perfect. For example the use of big energy blasts in a battle between skilled players is debateable in many of those games.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 am

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is a glitchy nearly unplayable mess. It's been eleven years and it still has a dedicated fanbase. I doubt anything will change in the near future in regards to how the fandom views it.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am

Tenkaichi 3 has a roster full of clones but at least the gameplay to me is way more fun than the boring, dull and spammy as hell Xenoverse 2. Tenkaichi 3 felt more fluid than Xenoverse 2 for a button-masher.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Aside from Super Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and I'd say Burst Limit to a certain degree, every Dragon Ball game has everyone playing the same. Even FighterZ has a lot of core mechanics and basic combo strings that are shared among the cast.

Only reason people bring up Tenkaichi 3 more than the others, is because it has DAT ROSTER. Xenoverse 2 is almost there in size however.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am

emperior wrote:At least Budokai Tenkaichi 3's gameplay is a little different than "spam vanish" Xenoverse 2. It had a very fun gameplay and some great modes, it was, and still is, addicting as hell. So no, BT3 isn't only "massive roster".
I fully believe Xenoverse 3 can surpass BT3 in terms of fun, but as for XV... I was really deluded its gameplay as it's not enjoyable at all. Doing the same combos over and over during the PQs got me bored soon. BT3 had many more fighting options, not to mention Ultimate Attacks are actually viable in that game while in Xenoverse 2 the only way to land one is to stamina break. The stamina-heavy gameplay of XV2, which also makes all those annoying air kicking/punching possible, ruins it for me. Hopefully Dimps will rework their fighting system for Xenoverse 2.
Agreed here. XV2s gameplay is pretty much just as shallow as the BT series. But the difference is I can still really enjoy playing BT3 but XV2 bores me after 5 PQs

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:06 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Agreed here. XV2s gameplay is pretty much just as shallow as the BT series. But the difference is I can still really enjoy playing BT3 but XV2 bores me after 5 PQs
This. The pacing in XV2 just feels so slow, muddy and consistently bad I really have no reason to play that again and if I'm being honest, I only bought it because it was (and still is) the only Dragon Ball game for the Switch.

I did play a chunk of XV1 back in the 360 days but not much to realize it was this bad. I'd rather take Tenkaichi 3 anyday over Xenoverse 2.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:22 am

I’m not a hardcore player, but I prefer simple combinations and I felt I enjoyed BT3 to its fullest (Beat the survival mode with Tapion!). I could do almost every combo available. The sound effects and vibrations are also some of the aspects I like the most and this game satisfied me on that aspect. I usually don’t care about graphics, story mode, character roster or complexity.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:When you take away the fact that the roster isn’t really that big, the game is just on the level of Raging Blast because the game’s whole gimmick was that it had a “massive roster”.
This goes both ways, though! While Xenoverse has readily combo-ending beam supers and supers that make much, much better use of being in a 3d space- two whose absence will forever peeve me about the Spike games- take away Xenoverse's character customization and you quickly realize Tenkaichi 2/3 have far more interesting universal mechanics! Their being 3d arenas somehow gives people the impression the two are interchangeable- they aren't.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:48 am

It's more like 10 viable characters. Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, Vegito, Gogeta, Cell, Broly, and Kid Buu are the main dudes running game while everyone else are based on the same basic template.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:09 am

The areas in Tenkaichi 3 seemed to be more destructible than in Xenoverse 2 which barely happened whenever I played it and that was something I really missed a lot.