Dragon Ball FighterZ Guest Characters?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Dragon Ball FighterZ Guest Characters?

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 am

So it seems like it's become somewhat common now and a popular thing to do in fighting games is to bring in these guest characters from other series as DLC.

Amongst recent big fighting games, Mortal Kombat X had the Alien, Predator, Leatherface and Jason Voorheez. Injustice 2 had Raiden, Sub Zero, Hellboy and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and now Tekken 7 is also doing it with characters like Akuma, Geese Howard and Noctis.

I remember even Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 had Lars from Tekken 6. So I don't see why they couldn't add some in for FighterZ, I'd prefer it actually to having the same old characters time and time again like Raditz.

Who would be a good choice or someone that would realistically be included? I'm imagine it would be other anime characters, Luffy or Naruto would seem like an obvious choice. Outside of other anime though who would be likely? Superman? Asura from Asura's Wrath? Dante from Devil May Cry? They'd be given their own anime makeover so they'd fit in with the look of the characters.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball FighterZ Guest Characters?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am

I'd really only be interested in the main protagonist from another hyper-kinetic Shueisha / Jump series, honestly. FighterZ is really playing up a classic roster, so I'd be wary of including any of the flavor-of-the-week shonen protagonists, even from seemingly massive recent hits like My Hero Academia. In this theoretical world of a guest FighterZ character, it should be someone that fans of all generations would be interested in and be excited for. Naruto and Luffy are the perfect/obvious fits, and have done battle in game form with the DBZ crew many times over so they'd feel right at home.

Quite frankly, I'd rather have Dr. Mashirito / Caramel Man 009 join than anyone else...

After that, probably Ryo-san.

(OK, so my actual preferred guest characters go completely against what I outlined above.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 am

I vote for no guest characters. With one exception Arale, if she can even be considered one.

The first problem is replacing Dragon Ball characters. There's no lack of interesting characters in the franchise, you will never have trouble creating a roster for a Dragon Ball game, except deciding who to exclude. Super is only adding to this happy problem.

The second is how hard it would be to incorporate characters from other franchises into Dragon Ball, it's huge explosions and beams. It would a huge eyesore to me.

I never understood why people enjoy this, it's different Universes with different rules. It's like playing football using a hockey puck; it's counter-intuitive.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 am

It's just interesting to see characters from different series mingle. I know there's no shortage of Dragon Ball characters but most of them have been in multiple games already.

There's going to be 8 DLC characters for FighterZ, say they were released in pairs across 4 DLC packs then each pack could include a Dragon Ball Super character and like VegettoEX mentioned a Jump character.

DLC 1: The Glutton Pack - Beerus and Luffy

DLC 2: The Employee's Pack - Hit and Naruto

DLC 3: The Swordsmen Pack - Goku Black and Ichigo

DLC 4: The Hero Pack - Jiren and Midora

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:47 am

I understand the allure, it all comes crashing down when I'm supposed to take some guy throwing shurikens at Goku and actually surviving. Even in the context of a fighting game. It feels out-of-place.

If that was actually the DLC..., dear God what would be abysmal.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 am

Guest characters always make a game feel trashy to me. Yusuke if I had to pick. I say if you want to see crossover interactions it should be done in crossover games; If DBFZ is a success then maybe they'll think about doing another Jump versus game, but right this time.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:45 pm

LightBing wrote:I understand the allure, it all comes crashing down when I'm supposed to take some guy throwing shurikens at Goku and actually surviving. Even in the context of a fighting game. It feels out-of-place.

None of this makes sense. There's already a video game that has Goku, Vegeta and Frieza in it along with Naruto, Luffy and Ichigo already and that worked just fine.

Injustice 2 has Superman and Darkseid in the same game as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and that will be just fine. It's meant to be about having fun, not about power levels.

Naruto doesn't even have to throw shuriken. He can fire energy blasts just the same.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Bullza wrote:
LightBing wrote:I understand the allure, it all comes crashing down when I'm supposed to take some guy throwing shurikens at Goku and actually surviving. Even in the context of a fighting game. It feels out-of-place.

None of this makes sense. There's already a video game that has Goku, Vegeta and Frieza in it along with Naruto, Luffy and Ichigo already and that worked just fine.

Injustice 2 has Superman and Darkseid in the same game as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and that will be just fine. It's meant to be about having fun, not about power levels.

Naruto doesn't even have to throw shuriken. He can fire energy blasts just the same.
You mean Jump Super Stars? That's a crossover game it's purposely made so that all the wacky crap works, it's not the same as guest characters. A guest character is inserting something foreign into an established system.
We have flying, teleports and ki blasts as regular abilities in FighterZ. You would already have a hard time inserting Pre-Raditz characters into the game with these mechanics.

It's not about power levels it's about characters feeling off in a game. I don't mind Kuririn beating Goku's ass because he's using the same tools with his unique spin while someone like Gon would feel weird, he can't just use Kamehameha's or else what's the point of his introduction.

They would need to build around the game they created that's the problem to me. They can certainly pull it off, somewhat, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was much more work than just pulling in a character from Dragon Ball.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm

I don't think we will see guest characters in FighterZ, nor do I want to see one. I don't want ArcSys to waste their time on developing a new character which isn't from Dragon Ball, considering how long it takes them to do just one character.
I would rather have Tao Pai Pai, Yajirobe, Ninja Murasaki, Botamo, Nam and the list goes on, than any guest character from another anime.

Now, if ArcSys did a Jump All-Stars 2D game, that would be good. But let Dragon Ball stay Dragon Ball.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 pm

LightBing wrote:You mean Jump Super Stars? That's a crossover game it's purposely made so that all the wacky crap works, it's not the same as guest characters. A guest character is inserting something foreign into an established system.
We have flying, teleports and ki blasts as regular abilities in FighterZ. You would already have a hard time inserting Pre-Raditz characters into the game with these mechanics.

It's not about power levels it's about characters feeling off in a game. I don't mind Kuririn beating Goku's ass because he's using the same tools with his unique spin while someone like Gon would feel weird, he can't just use Kamehameha's or else what's the point of his introduction.

They would need to build around the game they created that's the problem to me. They can certainly pull it off, somewhat, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was much more work than just pulling in a character from Dragon Ball.
I was referring to Jump Victory Vs. That was a fighting game that mixed them all together and it worked.

Naruto and Ichigo can do most of these anime things. They have the super speed or teleportation, they can fly and they can both fire large energy blasts (Biju Bomb and Getsuga Tenshou). They'd easily fit in with the mechanics.

Luffy is a bit different but they did put him in Dragon Ball Heroes. I don't know anything about Midora to be honest though.

Really if they can take Noctis the main character from Final Fantasy XV with his teleportation and sword abilities and successfully integrate it into Tekken 7 which has characters like Steve Fox, a boxer, then they can do pretty much anything.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 am

Let's just get the Ninja Turtles in every fighting game ever.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Chrono from Chrono Trigger as a guest in a possible Switch version would be cool. Otherwise, no.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 am

I wouldn't mind one or two in the future DLCs, but I'd rather have just Dragon Ball characters. Yes, that also excludes Arale.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 pm

I don't see a guest fighter working for a DB game unless it's related to Toriyama. Injustice 2, MK, SC and Tekken feel like they have a wider appeal to them which is why guest fighters work for them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Please no guest characters! The game should stand on the merits of its license as well as its own.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:44 am

Bullza wrote:It's just interesting to see characters from different series mingle. I know there's no shortage of Dragon Ball characters but most of them have been in multiple games already.

There's going to be 8 DLC characters for FighterZ, say they were released in pairs across 4 DLC packs then each pack could include a Dragon Ball Super character and like VegettoEX mentioned a Jump character.

DLC 1: The Glutton Pack - Beerus and Luffy

DLC 2: The Employee's Pack - Hit and Naruto

DLC 3: The Swordsmen Pack - Goku Black and Ichigo

DLC 4: The Hero Pack - Jiren and Midora
Hmmm.... A Toriko fan I see?

Edit: Ah wait hero pack so Midoriya from My Hero Academia hehe oops... but still great series both of them!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Please no guest characters! The game should stand on the merits of its license as well as its own.
They've been doing that for over a decade and a half already. I think we know by now these games can succeed just off its own license.

Injustice can stand off its DC license no problem but they still put in the Ninja Turtles.