Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 am

Here's an easy answer: I like both types of games. We have not had a game of one of these types in nigh ten years. Said game is being developed by a better developer than previous such games and with a twist Dragon Ball has never tried before. I really don't see what there is to "get".

Are Dragon Ball arena fighters complex enough to merit Freeza including them in his discussion? If you go back and forth on Dragon Ball versus Dragon Ball and 2D versus 3D its hard to tell what anyone's saying.
GTx10 wrote:That is why I'm asking you to look at the Orange Bricks from my eyes much in the same way that you asked the user(s) to look at Fighter Z from the eyes of excited Fighter Z fan. I'm aware of the Orange Bricks short comings and Funi's "well buy them or don't. We don't care really" approach but if I'm asked to see Fighter Z through different eyes then look at the Orange Bricks through different eyes as well MikeVegetoEX.
GTx10 does have a point here.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm

I'll speak from the point of view of someone who absolutely doesn't care for fighting games gameplay.
The promising content, the mesmerizing graphics and the incredible overall presentation: that's what makes me terribly excited to play this game.

I've never cared for the gameplay of fighting games, just fighting the rounds quickly to get to the next thing.
I've played hours of some Soul Calibur, had many Tekken games, played Street Fighter IV, had both Injustice, had some Mortal Kombat games and my objective was usually to enjoy the universe, go through the story and/or unlock endings, possibly unlock costumes and characters...
And even knowing that this sort of gameplay is not my thing, I can appreciate how incredibly deep it is for those willing to master it, I can appreciate why there are official, very serious, professional e-sports competitions for fighting games like Fighterz and not for arena games Xenoverse (those professional e-sports competions are a fact that really speaks for itself when it comes to the depth of the gameplay and cannot be denied).

Anyway, let's go back to the graphics: not much to say, it's closer to the anime than any DB game has ever been, and here's hope that Xenoverse learns from it and offers us a Xenoverse 3 with a few graphical choices borrowed from Fighterz. Now everyone has seen what it's like when it's done right and how impressive it is to watch at every second - including developers, so let's hope they think "wow, let's do something a bit similar since it looks so good".

Now for the promising content: we have what I wanted most of all when I learned about the game, a story mode. It looks really interesting, with a bit of strategy / planning between fights that keep things fresh, different versions of the events, a story set during the Super era that looks intriguing and Shueisha and Toei backing them up to tell them "Freezer would say something more like that" or "Goku wouldn't react like that". It's going to be an enjoyable story mode, I think. Unlocking new colors with the arcade mode should be interesting too, as well as finding all the possible secret scenes rendering reproductions of existing moments with those astonishing graphics and animations.

And finally, the thing that I think should inspire all games: the presentation. A real, astonishing care given to the intros, outros, to the point of even creating special ones for unique sets of opponents (special intros and Dramatic Finishes)... The shot where all members of the team stand side by side on the victory screen and the speech line is adapted to whoever is on the team. The special attacks, of course.
You know, before Fighterz, I was already impressed and extremely appealed by the Injustice games for the presentation, where they took care of having much more than the character doing a pose and saying something: you could see real, carefully designed sequences for intros / victories / supreme attacks as well as dialogues that adapted to the characters present on the scene. It was going the extra mile for the presentation.
And that's one of the most appealing things I feel for Fighterz, that sense that the developers really went the extra mile for the presentation, with all moves and scenes designed around something existing and making you go "wow, so cool!!". That attention to every little small detail, that intent not to go the easy route but really work to make the result very unique and special and not overly basic and simplisitic and more or less "copy-pasted" all over the place, this is an example to follow for other games!

So yeah, again, to recap: the inspiring amount of work on the presentation, the perfectly-mimicked and appealing graphics and the content that seems amazingly rich and interesting to discover for hours.

And since I like Xenoverse games too, I hope the "XV" games take notes to improve even further, with more anime-mimicking graphics and animations, care for the presentation beyond the "your character stands there and waits during the intro / victory screen" and more content beyond the repetitive parallel missions (with perhaps a simpler but more intriguing main story that doesn't repeat the previous episode for 3/4 of it).
Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 were enjoyable, but not "WOW!!" like this Fighterz, so Xenoverse 3 could be impressive if they learn a few lessons on the presentation and content from Fighterz, and why shouldn't they?

I think Fighterz will not only be an amazing and very exciting game in and out of itself, but also potentially influence the Xenoverse series to improve more than it would have done without it, give that series ideas it wouldn't have had.

I think Fighterz is truly inspiring. Hence the general excitement.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Because its shaping up the be the first fully competent, well made and competitive 2-D style Dragon Ball Game ever made and most of all it looks FUN.

What more reason do I need?

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Apropos of 2D and 3D, I like both types of games. I thought Xenoverse was the best since BT3 because of its unique history-changing story mode in comparison to previous games, but hell, Xenoverse still has its (sometimes frustrating) flaws and I got tired of it after a while. Aside from the XV DLCs, which I still get, I personally want something new after a while.

One of the best games that are close to 2D style I've played are the Super Smash Bros games. I thoroughly enjoy those games a lot, and I like the Injustice games too. With all their unique combos and such (a bit more than Xenoverse's rather simple combo set at times), I'm excited for FighterZ mostly because of its faithfulness to the anime, and especially the manga. Games like Burst Limit and Budokai 3 were more 2D-oriented than 3D, and I enjoyed those too. The new game also has a different story mode, so that's a plus. So FighterZ is definitely something I'm waiting in anticipation for.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 am

I'm still very excited for the game but one thing I will say is that the game might be over hyped a bit. Not saying it is but we can't just assume that it is a great and in depth fighter. I haven't got to play yet but I do worry that it might not have enough variation in playstyles.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 pm

People like to play fighting games. Not that really hard to understand >. >

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:People like to play fighting games. Not that really hard to understand >. >
And Dragon Ball is a very big and popular fighting franchise. So, makes sense.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:25 am

It's probably the only legitimately good fighter Dragonball has ever gotten. A "real" fighter, not some button mash nonsense or 3D crap. The Xenoverse games and past games got mediocre to poor reviews from the gaming press for a reason. They rate them as fighters instead of fanboys, 90% of Dragonball fighters are poor.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm

I've never seen someone laughed out of a thread so fast.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm

The game is a real fighting game. I really enjoy the game even though I'm not good at it. It's just different from the Xenoverse games. Plus, the fighting game community has really enjoyed this game. It's rare to find to an anime fighting game that feels like a fighting game. I can't wait to see this game at EVO this year. It's a huge step for Dragon Ball and the anime community in general.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

I thought the reactions here would be more toxic, but to my surprise, most people kept it civil. Anyway, here's my two cents.

Well, after watching a lot of matches from the full game, I will say that the game got over hyped. It looks great as a DB game but a step back from Xrd and Blazblue in terms of content(game modes) and the auto combos are a bit too much. Unless Arcsys does more with the updates than just characters, I doubt Fighterz would last for a while, especially on EVO. It'll just be there for this July and then probably won't come back. I get why folks are excited, and i guarantee that if EVO has this game for this year, it'll be a madhouse, but it's just not for me...yet.

And I would argue that Xenoverse(mainly 2) has some in depth game mechanics and most of the fighters play different, so I dunno why some people are saying that they play the same. The problem is that some moves are unbalanced as hell!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 pm

The game is getting rave reviews and for those who really explore the combo system and attacks can see how deep this game really is.

This is the first actual GOOD DBZ fighter in a long time, if ever. There's a reason all 3D DBZ fighters get poor to mediocre reviews from the gaming press, they were never good. People only like playing them because they have the DBZ license slapped on.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 pm

precita wrote:The game is getting rave reviews and for those who really explore the combo system and attacks can see how deep this game really is.

This is the first actual GOOD DBZ fighter in a long time, if ever. There's a reason all 3D DBZ fighters get poor to mediocre reviews from the gaming press, they were never good. People only like playing them because they have the DBZ license slapped on.
Poor to mediocre reviews are scores ranging from 30-50, not in the 70s or low 80s, which is what the PS2 Tenkaichi games and Xenoverse 2 received. If you wanna talk about the rb games, I understand.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
precita wrote:The game is getting rave reviews and for those who really explore the combo system and attacks can see how deep this game really is.

Poor to mediocre reviews are scores ranging from 30-50, not in the 70s or low 80s, which is what the PS2 Tenkaichi games and Xenoverse 2 received. If you wanna talk about the rb games, I understand.
Surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly, this the highest rated DB game on MC and first on to get higher than an 80. A show about fighting best game is a fighting game. And people say this doesn't capture the reel of DB. :p

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:

Surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly, this the highest rated DB game on MC and first on to get higher than an 80. A show about fighting best game is a fighting game. And people say this doesn't capture the reel of DB. :p
Some also said this is the highest rated anime-based game right now... With all this this is definitely not a game to be not excited about. Even if you hate fighting games, you could benefit from this game because it reinforces interest in DB as a whole franchise.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:18 pm

I just like that this game feels, for lack of a better term, Good and Proper. It feels well-made and like the devs actually care and have a passion for what they're making. I was listening to Daizenshuu EX episode 47 where they review Sparking NEO, and the complaints for it included characters feeling samey, gameplay of charge Ki/fire Ki/Run away, and incredibly poor cutscene presentation with shiny characters. 13 years later and Xenoverse 2 doesn't feel that much different to me.

As an outsider it's always felt to me that there was always something... 'off' about most DBZ games. That they were made in a factory, hit mathematical buttons to appease Dragon Ball fans, and then call it a day. They pale in comparison to the likes of even Ratchet & Clank or the newer Yoshi games for some reason, like there's no aspiration to making the games anything more than barely adequate. Then FighterZ comes along.

I mean I think it says something that FighterZ has easily the most discussion going on for a DBZ game in games media like Gamespot and IGN. People are talking about this game, in a way that never happened with either of the Xenoverse games. They mention how excited they are for it, it's listed in "upcoming games" lists alongside big titles Spider-Man and God of War, where in previous years the DBZ game would be forgotten about.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:23 pm

This is the first time a Dragon Ball game transcends its own fandom. People who have zero familiarity or attachment to the franchise are excited for it. I know one of my Twitter followers who's got a low opinion of DBZ, and even he's hyped for this game! Such a phenomenon doesn't happen unless the game itself is great. The fact that it's not just using the license for brand recognition, but actually pays homage and incorporates so many fine details in its gameplay and presentation shows how much the developers care about Dragon Ball. It is an exciting time to be a Dragon Ball fan!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Marugoto wrote:This is the first time a Dragon Ball game transcends its own fandom. People who have zero familiarity or attachment to the franchise are excited for it. I know one of my Twitter followers who's got a low opinion of DBZ, and even he's hyped for this game! Such a phenomenon doesn't happen unless the game itself is great. The fact that it's not just using the license for brand recognition, but actually pays homage and incorporates so many fine details in its gameplay and presentation shows how much the developers care about Dragon Ball. It is an exciting time to be a Dragon Ball fan!
Not true.... Budokai 3 was popular even with non-fans.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Advanced Adventure too. But none of these games made massive waves like FighterZ. It's considered on of the big titles of 2018. It stole MvC's thunder. Back in 2001 who would have thought that a DBZ game could ever do that?

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Marugoto wrote:Advanced Adventure too. But none of these games made massive waves like FighterZ. It's considered on of the big titles of 2018. It stole MvC's thunder. Back in 2001 who would have thought that a DBZ game could ever do that?
If we had a game like Fighterz then, I'm sure tons of people would of thought it could. Which is why I find it odd that it took so long.