Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 am

It looks like another typical fighting game but with Dragon Ball skin to me. Dragon Ball games have the potential to be amazing and unique like Tenkaichi 3 or even Raging Blast 2 by capturing the feel of the show but people want a typical fighting game instead? It doesn't make sense to me.

What I find even more puzzling is that people say the game captures the feel of the show. It really doesn't. Graphics alone doesn't make a game feel like the show, it's the fighting mechanics and the fighting mechanics from what I've seen in Fighter Z doesn't capture the feel of the show, especially since it's a side-scrolling fighter. You can't even fly properly in the game let alone have a true Dragon Ball esque fight.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why are people so excited for FighterZ??

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am

Don't take this the wrong way as a direct personal attack, because I actually see this quite often, and I'm addressing it to a global, plural "you" as much as you, TheUltimateVegito, individually. That being said, I'll take the opportunity to say:

I find it really hard to believe that someone can't put themselves in someone else's shoes and see why it's so exciting, and how often it transitions into the "fuck you, stop being excited, how dare you take my Xenoverse away" is disgusting and I can't stop rolling my eyes someone please save me they've rolled back behind my head.

I don't like the arena fighters, but I get the appeal: you're flying around like the show, you're unleashing massive amounts of hits, and you can pit pretty much anyone against anyone. That can be fun for someone, so let's create a marketing persona for this person:
  • They're someone who might be a Dragon Ball fan first and video game fan second. They're getting a product that's fitting a video game into the franchise they like.
  • They probably more casually play a wider range of video games (rather than a hyperfocused genre), so something with a control scheme more akin to action games out there may transition them in more quickly
  • This buyer looks at HASHTAG CONTENT as meaning a large number of characters, maps, quests, and daily tasks to undertake
That's... basically the Xenoverse games to a T as they and the rest of the gaming industry absorbs RPG elements (and now MMO quest structures) into every genre. Even before that, you saw the capsule/technique/character unlocks and countless mini-battles/what-ifs from the Sparking! / Budokai Tenkaichi series.

But that's not necessarily very fun for me.

So on the other hand, let's look at FighterZ. I'm someone who grew up in a time of very technical 2D-plane fighters; my arcade time wrapped up with Street Fighter III. I played fighting games long before I knew Dragon Ball, into my discovery of Dragon Ball, and consistently throughout that entire time still. It's the opposite of the above for me: I'm getting Dragon Ball fitting into the video games I like.

But it's not JUST that. We've HAD plenty of 2D Dragon Ball fighting games. I mean, those were literally THE ONLY TYPES AVAILABLE when I was getting into the show in 1996 (OK, Legends was becoming available, but I didn't play that right away!). The thing is, they've never been anything more than "moderately competent". They've been... fine. There are nostalgia-based reasons for liking something like Super Butoden 2 (its story mode, its music, etc.). But we've never had something with top-tier presentation and top-tier mechanics from a top-tier developer. We're finally getting that in 2018, 25 years after the franchise's first fighting game.

So let's look at what FighterZ is accomplishing for someone like me (based on my time with the game at conventions, the closed beta, and everything we have been able to observe about the game thus far):
  • The underlying mechanics are informed by some of the strongest entries in the developer's own past along with a clear knowledge of other top games
  • The control scheme is familiar for traditional fighting game players like myself, while also providing some transitional control elements for newcomers to ease their entry; everything is incredibly tight and deliberate, with clear knowledge of what you've performed, how you've performed it, and what the ramifications are for doing so
  • There is a clear attempt to balance the roster, meaning that every character from Kuririn to Goku Black is viable in a team composition and brings something unique to the table (for counter example, see: Yi Xing Long in Budokai 3 with the highest baseline ki allowing you to cheaply teleport-knock your opponents out of the ring in tournament mode to ring up money / see also: the novelty of Appule fights in METEOR with no competitive reality)
  • The presentation goes above and beyond what we've seen before. I do not understand the people who say otherwise, and genuinely believe it's either (a) they are so young that they've never actually seen a 2D-field game before and are the same types of people who brought the orange bricks upon us, and/or (b) they are jealous of this game's presentation and are trying to spin it as a negative. The level of on-model consistency is something we have never seen in a Dragon Ball video game. The color detail is impeccable. Arc's engine of full 3D, polygonal models able to be represented on a 2D field (and yet still transition to fully rotatable 3D environments) is dazzling.
This is why I find comments like "you can't even fly" and "the graphics aren't that good" so ridiculously naive and even disingenuous. It's a clear, transparent attempt to look for surface-level elements to paint as a "negative" in a way that makes absolutely no sense, with no attempt to even begin to consider what's interesting, innovative, or exciting about it.

The arena fans have had their more-than-competent entries year after year for over a decade. No-one is coming to take your Xenoverse away, it's OK to let someone else to have fun for a while, and we'd love to have you next to us on the couch along for the ride.

(So basically, in spite of some of your questions, TheUltimateVegito, I do appreciate you actually asking the questions rather than going the "fuck y'allz fighterz" route!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Re: Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 am

I agree with you. 2.5D is crap. I didnt grow up with them. BT3 was my go to DB Game till Xenoverse came along. So ya, ill pass this. XV3 is what I'm waiting for.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:54 am

TheUltimateVegito wrote:It looks like another typical fighting game but with Dragon Ball skin to me.
It is, and if you look back at the history of the DB games, there wasn't any properly made 2D fighter so far, many of us always wanted a game like this, and it just never happened.
There were Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2, which wasn't bad, but it doesn't captures much from what makes Dragon Ball great, and even the fighting engine is not that great. (also it's more of a 3D fighter actually). There's also Hyper DBZ which is fanmade, and only with a couple of characters. It's still awesome, but FighterZ offers a ton more in every possible area.
Dragon Ball games have the potential to be amazing and unique like Tenkaichi 3 or even Raging Blast 2 by capturing the feel of the show but people want a typical fighting game instead? It doesn't make sense to me.
Those games are not really that unique, there are many 3D arena fighters like that, but usually with mechas. I'm also not seeing why are they possibly capturing the show more, DBZ is not exactly known for 3rd person battle scenes.
What I find even more puzzling is that people say the game captures the feel of the show. It really doesn't. Graphics alone doesn't make a game feel like the show, it's the fighting mechanics and the fighting mechanics from what I've seen in Fighter Z doesn't capture the feel of the show, especially since it's a side-scrolling fighter. You can't even fly properly in the game let alone have a true Dragon Ball esque fight.
It all comes down to personal preference, but flying was just on of the many things, and it only started to be a dominant thing after the Nappa fight. The thing that Super's second half has no flying kinda shows how dismissable thing it was actually when it comes to fight-coreography.
FighterZ has flying as the chase move, it also has vanishing, ki charging, projectile parrying, huge energy blasts with over the top intros, etc. all with frame based animations which look as good if not better as the anime. For me it's more then what the Tenkaichi/XV-style games usually do.
Not to mentoin that all of the characters will play differently, while in XV even with it's huge number of characters, there really isn't much difference, except that they made it intentionally unballanced. For me, I wouldn't enjoy playing a game online where winning is not the matter of the player's skill.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:53 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:It looks like another typical fighting game but with Dragon Ball skin to me. Dragon Ball games have the potential to be amazing and unique like Tenkaichi 3 or even Raging Blast 2 by capturing the feel of the show but people want a typical fighting game instead? It doesn't make sense to me.

As someone who enjoys both kinds of DBZ games as well as competitive fighters I'll say I'm very excited for this game for the sheer level of replay value it will offer. I thoroughly enjoyed XV2 while playing through the initial story and and side missions, many of which were very addictive such as the Frieza/Cooler spaceship stuff. I unlocked all the characters and had fun fighting the CPU for awhile. But since then I haven't really felt compelled to go back to it that much, only playing it occasionally.

You mentioned BT3 and RB2 as examples of unique games. While they may be unique in the sense that there aren't many non-DBZ games like them, the characters in those games aren't unique from one another. In those games if you master one character, you've basically mastered them all, which limits the long term appeal. BT3 is great as a game you can just jump right into without worrying about the pressure of pulling off difficult stuff of memorising different matchups/strategies/combos. You can literally have fun kicking ass as any character right away without the need to spend countless hours in practice mode.

What makes traditional competitive fighters better in the long run is the endless opportunity for learning and improvement. You invest hours and hours getting to grips with one character, and it's hard work, but when you go into an online match and see the payoff it makes you feel good and makes you want to improve more. You find that a certain strategy from a certain character keeps giving you trouble, so you go watch replays/match videos and find a way to counter it, and then the other player adapts to your new strategy which forces you to up your game again. It's an endless cycle of learning and overcoming obstacles.

Competitive fighters can be very intimidating to get into and I still struggle to hold my own on most of them, with Tekken being the one that I'm sort of ok at. But I will say that the level of excitement that comes from having a close match against someone of a similar skill level after you've both invested lots of time into the game is difficult to describe to someone who has never experienced it for themselves. These games aren't easy to get into at first, but when you do it's more than worth it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 pm

This looks like the most indepth Dragonball fighter and these are what real fighting games are actually like. All the 3D games have casual and poorly done movesets since they usually have 50+ characters all with similar moves and are aimed at the younger crowd or casuals.

A fighter like this is aimed for real fighting game fans who grew up with Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, etc.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm

because it's the first competitive DBZ fighting game and the first one to be featured in evo .

The art style and animations are amazing and each character has a deep moveset that set him apart from other characters .

Also the story mode seems to be great too .

Professor Freeza wrote:I agree with you. 2.5D is crap. I didnt grow up with them. BT3 was my go to DB Game till Xenoverse came along. So ya, ill pass this. XV3 is what I'm waiting for.
well i didn't grow up with them too , In fact i only became a 2D fighting game fan a few years ago . And actually they're still deeper and more technical than any of the 3D fighting games iv ever seen .
My English is poor .

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm excited because it's more Dragonball. And it looks like it's going to be really good. Doesn't matter if it's a 2D fighter or a 3D fly around fighter. I want good Dragonball games that treat the material with respect and, in more recent years, does something new with the franchise. Raging Blast 1 was the last game that was really all about the story of DBZ. Now, we have games like Fusions, Xenoverse, and now Fighterz that are taking the franchise we know and love and giving it new coats of paint.

I love Xenoverse. And I'm going to love Fighterz. Give me more Dragonball and I will give you my money

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm

This might be the first time since forever that I'm actually in 100% agreement with our webmaster.

Seriously. Yes, it's a fighting game with a Dragon Ball skin. Just like Dragon ball Z Attack of the Saiyans for the DS is a JRPG with a Dragon Ball skin. And Injustice is a fighting game with a DC Universe skin. And Bloodborne is Dark Souls with a Ravenloft skin.

Sometimes you want to play a game you love in a campaign setting you also love. It's a win-win (for some people).

I don't *really* have a problem with Dragon Ball arena fighters, except for the fact that but I'm sick to death of them because that's all we've been getting in any non-handheld consoles for the past ten years.

I also cannot understand it when people are willing to sacrifice quality for quantity and have a Dragon ball game with 400 characters who are all playing identical and have little to no change in strategy or approach whatsoever.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:I'm excited because it's more Dragonball. And it looks like it's going to be really good. Doesn't matter if it's a 2D fighter or a 3D fly around fighter. I want good Dragonball games that treat the material with respect and, in more recent years, does something new with the franchise. Raging Blast 1 was the last game that was really all about the story of DBZ. Now, we have games like Fusions, Xenoverse, and now Fighterz that are taking the franchise we know and love and giving it new coats of paint.

I love Xenoverse. And I'm going to love Fighterz. Give me more Dragonball and I will give you my money
Also, this. FighterZ is going to be the first Dragon Ball game in the history of mankind we can proudly love and look other people in the eye as we say so, instead of feeling like idiots when we tried to trick a nephew or cousin into playing Final Bout with us (knowing fully well the game sucks, but still wanting to play vs mode because it was still Dragon Ball and we loved it).

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 pm

KayDash wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:It looks like another typical fighting game but with Dragon Ball skin to me.
It is, and if you look back at the history of the DB games, there wasn't any properly made 2D fighter so far, many of us always wanted a game like this, and it just never happened.
Never played Super Sonic Warriors, did you. Came out for the Gameboy Advance and was one of my favorite games to play. Still have it even.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
KayDash wrote:
Never played Super Sonic Warriors, did you. Came out for the Gameboy Advance and was one of my favorite games to play. Still have it even.
I did, and I also played Supersonic Warriors 2, Extreme Butoden, all of the Butodens on SNES, even Hyper Dimension, all of the PS2 games, etc. They were good fun more or less, but none of them were proper a 2D fighter (or a "classic-style 2D fighter" if you found the word "proper" as offensive) with comparable depth to the likes of Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc.
Supersonic Warriors is nice, and I enjoyed playing it back then, but it's about air-fighting with multi-directional attacks, and the fighting-system is kind of it's own thing. Nothing against that, but after 25 years of DBZ games I'm happy to finally have a game like FighterZ.
Last edited by KayDash on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Don't take this the wrong way as a direct personal attack, because I actually see this quite often, and I'm addressing it to a global, plural "you" as much as you, TheUltimateVegito, individually. That being said, I'll take the opportunity to say:

I find it really hard to believe that someone can't put themselves in someone else's shoes and see why it's so exciting, and how often it transitions into the "fuck you, stop being excited, how dare you take my Xenoverse away" is disgusting and I can't stop rolling my eyes someone please save me they've rolled back behind my head.

I don't like the arena fighters, but I get the appeal: you're flying around like the show, you're unleashing massive amounts of hits, and you can pit pretty much anyone against anyone. That can be fun for someone, so let's create a marketing persona for this person:
  • They're someone who might be a Dragon Ball fan first and video game fan second. They're getting a product that's fitting a video game into the franchise they like.
  • They probably more casually play a wider range of video games (rather than a hyperfocused genre), so something with a control scheme more akin to action games out there may transition them in more quickly
  • This buyer looks at HASHTAG CONTENT as meaning a large number of characters, maps, quests, and daily tasks to undertake
That's... basically the Xenoverse games to a T as they and the rest of the gaming industry absorbs RPG elements (and now MMO quest structures) into every genre. Even before that, you saw the capsule/technique/character unlocks and countless mini-battles/what-ifs from the Sparking! / Budokai Tenkaichi series.

So on the other hand, let's look at FighterZ. I'm someone who grew up in a time of very technical 2D-plane fighters; my arcade time wrapped up with Street Fighter III. I played fighting games long before I knew Dragon Ball, into my discovery of Dragon Ball, and consistently throughout that entire time still. It's the opposite of the above for me: I'm getting Dragon Ball fitting into the video games I like.

But it's not JUST that. We've HAD plenty of 2D Dragon Ball fighting games. I mean, those were literally THE ONLY TYPES AVAILABLE when I was getting into the show in 1996 (OK, Legends was becoming available, but I didn't play that right away!). The thing is, they've never been anything more than "moderately competent". They've been... fine. There are nostalgia-based reasons for liking something like Super Butoden 2 (its story mode, its music, etc.). But we've never had something with top-tier presentation and top-tier mechanics from a top-tier developer. We're finally getting that in 2018, 25 years after the franchise's first fighting game.

So let's look at what FighterZ is accomplishing for someone like me (based on my time with the game at conventions, the closed beta, and everything we have been able to observe about the game thus far):
  • The underlying mechanics are informed by some of the strongest entries in the developer's own past along with a clear knowledge of other top games
  • The control scheme is familiar for traditional fighting game players like myself, while also providing some transitional control elements for newcomers to ease their entry; everything is incredibly tight and deliberate, with clear knowledge of what you've performed, how you've performed it, and what the ramifications are for doing so
  • There is a clear attempt to balance the roster, meaning that every character from Kuririn to Goku Black is viable in a team composition and brings something unique to the table (for counter example, see: Yi Xing Long in Budokai 3 with the highest baseline ki allowing you to cheaply teleport-knock your opponents out of the ring in tournament mode to ring up money / see also: the novelty of Appule fights in METEOR with no competitive reality)
  • The presentation goes above and beyond what we've seen before. I do not understand the people who say otherwise, and genuinely believe it's either (a) they are so young that they've never actually seen a 2D-field game before and are the same types of people who brought the orange bricks upon us, and/or (b) they are jealous of this game's presentation and are trying to spin it as a negative. The level of on-model consistency is something we have never seen in a Dragon Ball video game. The color detail is impeccable. Arc's engine of full 3D, polygonal models able to be represented on a 2D field (and yet still transition to fully rotatable 3D environments) is dazzling.
This is why I find comments like "you can't even fly" and "the graphics aren't that good" so ridiculously naive and even disingenuous. It's a clear, transparent attempt to look for surface-level elements to paint as a "negative" in a way that makes absolutely no sense, with no attempt to even begin to consider what's interesting, innovative, or exciting about it.

The arena fans have had their more-than-competent entries year after year for over a decade. No-one is coming to take your Xenoverse away, it's OK to let someone else to have fun for a while, and we'd love to have you next to us on the couch along for the ride.

(So basically, in spite of some of your questions, TheUltimateVegito, I do appreciate you actually asking the questions rather than going the "fuck y'allz fighterz" route!)
Basically this. Heck I think a better question is why have we had to wait so long for a DBZ, traditional 2d, (hopefully) high depth fighter, on home consoles? We get DB games all the time, basically once a year for home consoles but yet this is the first 2d (2.5d) home console game in a long time. Heck the last one with a English release was Ultimate Battle 22 on the PS1 which was slow and just wasn't that good even though there were tons of good 2d fighters around its time. It also didn't get a English release till 2003 which was 8 years after its JPN release. And Hyper Dimensions on the Super Nintendo is the last one that I know of coming out in 1996 in Japan and later in Pal but no English version or NA release. Since then we got the Budokai games including 3 and IW which are great, there was also Super and Burst Limit but the last one of those was IW which was late 2008 (not counting 2012 for the Budokai 1/3 HD re-release). Since then everything has been the Tenkaichi style of game. If we get a game every year why does everything have to be one style? I've been saying for years that DB should do what Activision did with CoD and have multiple studios make the games and release a different version each year. But have each studio make a different style of fighter, one year we get a Budokai style, then the next Tenkaichi, then a FighterZ style. This way we get a DB game every year but the games have time to have actual development put into them, and the change in style gives us a fresh feeling game every year. And if you don't like one of the styles then its still not a long wait for the ones that you do, you will still get a better game when it comes out, and we have dlc packs to hold you over.

So yeah, I think part of the hype is just people have been wanting a game like this for so long. Some people like traditional fighting games and a lot of those people also like DB. So a 2.5d fighter with DB skins is perfect. Its (hopefully) a good fighter with some of their favorite characters so its hitting 2 things that are important to a lot of fighting game fans. And characters are very important for some people, just look at Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and the backlash it got for not having X-Men characters. And how the "functions" meme got started when the community manager for Capcom said don't worry everybody just liked those characters because of how they functioned in the games, characters are just functions, so by putting those functions on other characters its basically the same thing. Another thing I've been saying for years was that the guys that make Guilty Gear should make a DB game, and I said that as somebody who doesn't even play Guilty Gear. And why didn't I play their games? Well part of it was because I wasn't invested in their characters and nobody else I knew was either so even though I had tried one of the GG games and liked it, I knew getting friends into the game would have been hard. However I always knew the GG guys made games with good fighting mechanics and great anime art style. So for me at least that's another part of the hype because once I heard the announcement that Arc System Works was making the game and all the announcements made sure to tell you they were the GG guys I was in. Only thing that could have been possibly better would have been Capcom since then maybe we could have Marvel vs Capcom vs DBZ. Just imagine that, heck throw in DC somehow and the internet would have exploded, even with Capcom's recent issues.
Last edited by dario03 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
KayDash wrote:
I played Supersonic warriors too. I actually forgot about that game while making this post.

Supersonic Warriors is as close as a side-scrolling fighter can get to feelings like the show to me, and it did capture the feel quite well.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm

By the way: ArcSys did a Fist of the North Star game back then, and I always found it impressive how much care they put into it, and how they turned memorable scenes from the anime into special moves for the characters.
So even just hearing that ArcSys is doing a DBZ game got me instantly hyped, because I knew what to expect.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Don't underestimate the appeal of solid presentation as well. I'm one of those people who enjoyed playing Xenoverse and also never really played a 2D fighter before, so by rights I should be one of the ones hating on the hype for FighterZ, right? Instead, I have never been more eager to try and learn a fighting game than I have with this one. The characters I'm most interested in playing are Krillin, Adult Gohan and Hit, all of whom look very technical and difficult to master, and yet I still want to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in to them. Don't worry, I'll start off with someone simple like SSJ Goku to get into the swing of things.

Why? Put simply, the game looks bloody good. The fighting engine looks fluid and fun, the graphics are the best I've ever seen, not just in a Dragon Ball game, but possibly anime/fighting games in general. There's plenty to offer for people who are Dragon Ball fans first, fighting game fans second, like the interesting looking story mode or the cinematic finishers. The last 2D fighter I played (not counting Smash Bros, which...never mind, won't poke that hornet's nest) was actually Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Which is appropriate because it's another ArcSys branded fighting game with relatively simple mechanics and auto-combos designed to make it easy for people who are playing for the brand first. I imagine that experience is going to be very similar to FighterZ except it might not be dead-on-arrival competitively like P4AU was.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Don't take this the wrong way as a direct personal attack, because I actually see this quite often, and I'm addressing it to a global, plural "you" as much as you, TheUltimateVegito, individually. That being said, I'll take the opportunity to say:

• The presentation goes above and beyond what we've seen before. [i]I do not understand the people who say otherwise[/i], and genuinely believe it's either (a) they are so young that they've never actually seen a 2D-field game before and are the same types of people who brought the orange bricks upon us, and/or (b) they are jealous of this game's presentation and are trying to spin it as a negative. The level of on-model consistency is something we have never seen in a Dragon Ball video game. The color detail is impeccable. Arc's engine of full 3D, polygonal models able to be represented on a 2D field (and yet still transition to fully rotatable 3D environments) is dazzling.

And you ruined your own agreement with this line right here. You are asking the user(s) to look at FighterZ through another person's eyes and try to understand why they like FighterZ YET bash "the same type of people who brought the orange bricks upon us..." I like the Orange Bricks and think they are serviceable for Dragon Ball fans. Let's look at why that is:

1. The entirety of Dragon Ball Z Uncut.

2. Contains both the Japanese and Uncut English Dubs. (Which includes subs for the Japanese audio track)

3. Three different musical tracks.

4. Opening and Closing theme videos as well as Funimation previews and a mini behind the scenes segment.

5. Reasonable price.

That is five reasons to argue that the Orange Bricks are a good buy for any Dragon Ball Z fan. Do you see where I'm going with this?

About the topic at hand:

With FIghterZ It does come off as "Street Fighter with Dragon Ball skin." I played Street Fighter 2 Turbo and I did not like it personally. I couldn't win a single match and the combo system was poorly implemented but I loved Marvel VS Capcom 3 Ultimate and I could play that game very well. "Strange isn't it?"
As a fan of Dragon Ball I will buy this game but its roster is terrible. Yes I can clearly see that SSB Son Goku plays totally different from lets say Yamucha and that means a player could make Yamucha another Meta Knight of sorts. But I'd rather play as Bio-Broly who plays identical to LSS Broly minus a attack or two because I personally go into Dragon Ball games for the roster. I want Ninja Murasaki VS Jiran or DB Movie 2 Lucifer VS Kale. But that is my two cents.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:36 pm

The orange bricks are a product completed by incompetent technical advisers produced under false circumstances with misleading-at-best advertising that have become a de facto, solely-available product that further products have been based on leading to a complete domestic and international non-availability of the show itself as-is sold and presented to an audience as something other than what it is and used as propaganda to convince fans that the show is something other than what it is.

The availability of FighterZ does not stop distribution of Xenoverse 2, a game that will continue to see extended support up through and beyond the release of FighterZ.

I stand by what I said about the orange bricks, and refer you above to my explanation above -- in the very same post you quoted -- of what a player could see as positives in Xenoverse, which no-one is taking away from you.

Meanwhile, people across the globe cannot purchase Dragon Ball Z as it's meant to be seen because a company keeps lying to you and I have on record as willfully ignoring feedback it receives.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote: and how often it transitions into the "fuck you, stop being excited, how dare you take my Xenoverse away" is disgusting and I can't stop rolling my eyes someone please save me they've rolled back behind my head.

The availability of FighterZ does not stop distribution of Xenoverse 2,

of what a player could see as positives in Xenoverse, which no-one is taking away from you.
You keep mentioning this. Who, exactly, is saying otherwise?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:42 pm

I've been a Dragon Ball fan and a video game fan for a long time, but FighterZ is the first one I've been interested in actually playing. Why? Well to me it's because of two reasons. The main one is quite honestly the visual style; titles like Xenoverse honestly look like dogmeat to me and painfully self-generic, while FighterZ has a ton of production value poured into it.

The second, and arguably the reason for the first point, is that it feels like there's a lot of care and love poured into this one, it's palpable in every frame. Instead of chucking every character and their mother into the game, we get a considered approach where each character genuinely plays differently and has unique moves. Xenoverse and previous games of its ilk feel much more like mass-produced products that are more concerned with pumping in as many fights as humanly possible than on how to provide an interesting experience. New content with characters from RoF and Super feel more like a marketing grab than an attempt to mix up the gameplay and balance with a new character. When a new character is introduced for FighterZ, my mind races thinking about what playing as them might be like, whereas with previous games it was effectively a new skin and nothing more.

I know that presentation doesn't automatically mean a perfect game (see Battlefront II), but at the very least it suggests that the developer has care and interest in the product they're making, which is why they made it so that each character plays differently and references not just the anime, but the manga too, and has such a sense of style and passion about it. It's on a level where people outside of the Dragon Ball fans in the industry are talking about it because it just looks so INTERESTING, and that is a major step forward for the franchise's video game prospects. I'm excited to play it myself, and I've never been interested in fighting games before!

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 pm

That is why I'm asking you to look at the Orange Bricks from my eyes much in the same way that you asked the user(s) to look at Fighter Z from the eyes of excited Fighter Z fan. I'm aware of the Orange Bricks short comings and Funi's "well buy them or don't. We don't care really" approach but if I'm asked to see Fighter Z through different eyes then look at the Orange Bricks through different eyes as well MikeVegetoEX.

On topic:

People are excited because its "Dragon Ball Z Street Fighter." Street Fighter, Tekken, and etc are super popular and fun (well Tekken is in my experience anyway) and thus seeing Dragon Ball Z in that same vein excites everyone. Many "hardcore" fighting game folks may not be fans of Dragon Ball and those who just enjoy causal fighting games amongst themselves may also not like Dragon Ball. This game appeals to those people and the masses at large, it easier to pick up this game and beat up your friends as Son Goku then gloat about it then say creating a character in XV2 and wasting hours on obtaining the Mummy Man costume.
A "diverse" cast of characters ("Diverse" is a harsh tag in and of itself), flair, and Andorid 21 is rocketing this game to the top. Will it play good? More then likely yes. Will it be a part of those big fighting game Tournaments? probably. Will I find it fun? Probably and that is why I pre-ordered the super expensive version of the game.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208