Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why are people so excited for FighterZ?

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:42 am

Professor Freeza wrote:I agree with you. 2.5D is crap. I didnt grow up with them. BT3 was my go to DB Game till Xenoverse came along. So ya, ill pass this. XV3 is what I'm waiting for.
So you'd rather play as one character with multiple (ugly) skins and almost similarly identical (ugly) animations with a minimal amount of investment in learning the game mechanics in order to compete. Is what you're saying.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: Why are people so excited for FighterZ??

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 am

Kanassa wrote:
You keep mentioning this. Who, exactly, is saying otherwise?
And it's not the only example.

Anyway, I love traditional fighters, I love Super Dragon Ball Z. This is not only the closest to a sequel of that but it's also the first traditional DB fighting game for the home consoles we're getting since 2006.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:I agree with you. 2.5D is crap. I didnt grow up with them. BT3 was my go to DB Game till Xenoverse came along. So ya, ill pass this. XV3 is what I'm waiting for.
So you'd rather play as one character with multiple (ugly) skins and almost similarly identical (ugly) animations with a minimal amount of investment in learning the game mechanics in order to compete. Is what you're saying.

Game mechanics? Do people here actually KNOW what that word means? 2D fighting games Are Shit. A few button combos dont make up game mechanics. ANd this is coming from a guy who's favorite game is Rainbow Six Siege, the MOST technical and skill based FPS there is.

I'd much rather play a fun 3D arena game than a pretentious "technical" 2D BS.

Xenoverse is far from perfect. But its still better than this.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 am

Professor Freeza wrote:Game mechanics? Do people here actually KNOW what that word means? 2D fighting games Are Shit. A few button combos dont make up game mechanics.
You do not appear to have a wide base of knowledge to appropriately and accurately contribute to this discussion, and I would heavily recommend you refrain from attempting to speak authoritatively about things you make clear you have little familiarity with. That being said, it's OK and encouraged to ask questions and learn more about things.
Kanassa wrote:You keep mentioning this. Who, exactly, is saying otherwise?
Quebaz certainly offered up one of the most generic, prevalent examples of this. Simply tune in to any social media post Bandai Namco makes about the game, and they will be filled with these comments. Unfortunately, it's not exclusive to their own user base, when even here in our own community we have such irresponsible and uninformed posts as this.

Finally, if it hasn't been made clear, I'm not just excited about FighterZ because it happens to be a 2D-plane, traditional fighting game. I'm excited about the game because it looks like it's shaping up to be a fantastic game independent of its genre.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

It's the first DBZ fighting game that can give the likes of Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, etc. a run for their money.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 am

Professor Freeza wrote:A few button combos dont make up game mechanics.
This is why I don't play Xenoverse.
Also, how does exactly playing Rainbow Six gives you knowledge about how a fighting game works?

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 pm

KayDash wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:Game mechanics? Do people here actually KNOW what that word means? 2D fighting games Are Shit. A few button combos dont make up game mechanics.
You do not appear to have a wide base of knowledge to appropriately and accurately contribute to this discussion, and I would heavily recommend you refrain from attempting to speak authoritatively about things you make clear you have little familiarity with. That being said, it's OK and encouraged to ask questions and learn more about things.

Personal preference. Learning a few combos dont make a game technical.

Its like calling "Clash of Clans" a skill based game

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:Learning a few combos dont make a game technical.
Implying fighting games are only about learning combos.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 pm

KayDash wrote:
Thats EXACTLY what 2D fighting games are.

3D arena fighters need awareness of space. I cant expect to just go forward and hit my opponent.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
KayDash wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Personal preference. Learning a few combos dont make a game technical.

Its like calling "Clash of Clans" a skill based game
You clearly don't know anything about 2D fighting games.

2D fighting games are more than just learning combos , they are about reflexes , doing the right thing at the right time , reading you opponent , and many more things .

You can even compare 2D fighting games to real sports.
My English is poor .

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
KayDash wrote:

3D arena fighters need awareness of space. I cant expect to just go forward and hit my opponent.
No they are not, which clearly shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.
In FighterZ you don't even have to learn combos, until you reach a higher level, thanks to autocombos. That part pretty much works like how it is in Xenoverse, so that was wierd that you brought that up.
Yeah, the importance of awareness of space in a game where everything is automatically targeted (including movements).

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
These are from r/pcmasterrace
me wrote:how can i not do that in 3D Arena games? Some people are saying that only 2D Games are technical. 3D arena games arent.
whoever is saying that only 2D games can be technical is wrong. period.

every game with a multiplayer component has 'technical' aspects. in street fighter and other fighting games it's reading your opponent and game sense. in FPS it's knowing the maps and having good physical skills, twitch or otherwise. in MOBA it's.. i'm not sure because i'm terrible at MOBAs. one way or the other any multiplayer game has 'technical' aspects that you can find by trying to be better at the game.
If you were winning by button mashing in mortal kombat XL than you must have not been facing solid competition.

However I would say Tekken 7 (3D) is more complex than Injustice 2 (netherrealms newest fighting game) because the moves lists are about 70 moves longer and each character typically has a variety of different stances.

Personally I prefer 2D because it feels better for me. It’s easier for me to accurately read my opponents movements and the maps are generally more detailed and stylish. 3D in Tekken ends up forcing some really strange interactions with the environment that don’t really make sense and interrupt the flow.

But it’s all personal preference. Both are awesome games in my opinion. Wish I had given Tekken 7 more of a shot. Takes wayyy to much time to learn.

So this clearly proves that 2D games ARENT Nearly as technical as as dbzgamers make is seem to be. 3D arena fighter players need to have a sense of scale and positioning.

And as far as "wide base of knowledge", i know you probably have something personal against me, but playing mostly 2D games doenst make them better. Otherwise ALL fighting games would be 2D even today. Hell even Shooters would have stayed the "Contra" way and not developed in Rainbow 6 Siege or PUBG [which just became the most selling PC game of ALL TIME].
Plus i AM a semi professional gamer who competed in multiple national level tournaments setup by the likes of nvidia and Cooler Master. So please excuse me if i dont want to believe your point of me not having a "wide base of knowledge", because i probably have it more than almost anyone here.

I wont push this because you are the admin and can just ban me for not agreeing with you. So i'll just see myself out of this thread, disagreeing with almost everyone that 2D games and things like FighterZ are somehow better than the likes of Xenoverse.

Have a nice day

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

KayDash wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
KayDash wrote: Implying fighting games are only about learning combos.

In FighterZ you don't even have to learn combos, until you reach a higher level, thanks to autocombos. That part pretty much works like how it is in Xenoverse, so that was wierd that you brought that up.
Yeah, the importance of awareness of space in a game where everything is automatically targeted (including movements).
Try playing a modded Xenoverse with 1vs3. Lets see how you fare without spatial awareness even with auto targeting

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

I strongly disagree that the game doesn't capture the feeling of the show.
Most of the actions by the characters are directly from the manga and anime, it's like you're playing straight out of the pages. It's honestly crazy the attention to detail and even if one doesn't like the game's genre, as a Dragon Ball fan that's mouth-watering.

I find the game beautiful, of course this style might not be everyone cup of tea and that's fine. Although an anime style captures the feels of the show much better than what other games have been doing until now.

I haven't add the opportunity to play the game yet, from what I've seen it's incredibly fast and flashy, with explosions and characters entering the screen at any given second. Just like the show.

It's quite ironic that you single out flying when: Super's current arc has none of it(besides natural flying), flying was only introduced about 100 chapters into the manga and your main character wasn't able to do it until about 200 chapters into it.
Flying is certainly a relevant aspect in Dragon Ball fight that doesn't make it necessary to produce a Dragon Ball fight.

There's also moments like the Freeza's disks returning to him, Kuririn giving Senzus, the Dramatic finishes(where you can emulate moments from the show), Kuririn replacing #17 in #18 special move if he's in the team, Goten and Goku possibly appearing in Gohan's Kamehameha and much, much more.

There's even more reasons why I'm excited for this game, many can be found in VegettoEX post.

I understand people disliking the genre of the game and some other factors, however I don't get how in spite of that you can't see all the other amazing things it has that - even if you don't want to play the game -, would make you say "that's Dragon Ball all right" and recognize it's merits.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:These are from r/pcmasterrace
You're not doing yourself any favors citing random quotes from a subreddit whose name is based on an outdated antagonistic gamer-culture branding.
Professor Freeza wrote:And as far as "wide base of knowledge", i know you probably have something personal against me, but playing mostly 2D games doenst make them better. Otherwise ALL fighting games would be 2D even today. Hell even Shooters would have stayed the "Contra" way and not developed in Rainbow 6 Siege or PUBG [which just became the most selling PC game of ALL TIME].
Plus i AM a semi professional gamer who competed in multiple national level tournaments setup by the likes of nvidia and Cooler Master. So please excuse me if i dont want to believe your point of me not having a "wide base of knowledge", because i probably have it more than almost anyone here.y
I have absolutely no idea who you are. I can't have anything personal against you.

That being said, your comments demonstrably show both your lack of historical knowledge and current genre awareness.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
KayDash wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

Try playing a modded Xenoverse with 1vs3. Lets see how you fare without spatial awareness even with auto targeting
Don't know how to do that, should I get drunk, and record how I'm playing Xenoverse for you?
I'm not sure about going that far for this argument...
Anyway, I could go further and explain it to you why fighters have depth, but it surely doesn't worth the effort for another "your game is shit"-style of reply.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
These are from r/pcmasterrace
me wrote:how can i not do that in 3D Arena games? Some people are saying that only 2D Games are technical. 3D arena games arent.
whoever is saying that only 2D games can be technical is wrong. period.

every game with a multiplayer component has 'technical' aspects. in street fighter and other fighting games it's reading your opponent and game sense. in FPS it's knowing the maps and having good physical skills, twitch or otherwise. in MOBA it's.. i'm not sure because i'm terrible at MOBAs. one way or the other any multiplayer game has 'technical' aspects that you can find by trying to be better at the game.
If you were winning by button mashing in mortal kombat XL than you must have not been facing solid competition.

However I would say Tekken 7 (3D) is more complex than Injustice 2 (netherrealms newest fighting game) because the moves lists are about 70 moves longer and each character typically has a variety of different stances.

Personally I prefer 2D because it feels better for me. It’s easier for me to accurately read my opponents movements and the maps are generally more detailed and stylish. 3D in Tekken ends up forcing some really strange interactions with the environment that don’t really make sense and interrupt the flow.

But it’s all personal preference. Both are awesome games in my opinion. Wish I had given Tekken 7 more of a shot. Takes wayyy to much time to learn.

So this clearly proves that 2D games ARENT Nearly as technical as as dbzgamers make is seem to be. 3D arena fighter players need to have a sense of scale and positioning.

And as far as "wide base of knowledge", i know you probably have something personal against me, but playing mostly 2D games doenst make them better. Otherwise ALL fighting games would be 2D even today. Hell even Shooters would have stayed the "Contra" way and not developed in Rainbow 6 Siege or PUBG [which just became the most selling PC game of ALL TIME].
Plus i AM a semi professional gamer who competed in multiple national level tournaments setup by the likes of nvidia and Cooler Master. So please excuse me if i dont want to believe your point of me not having a "wide base of knowledge", because i probably have it more than almost anyone here.

I wont push this because you are the admin and can just ban me for not agreeing with you. So i'll just see myself out of this thread, disagreeing with almost everyone that 2D games and things like FighterZ are somehow better than the likes of Xenoverse.

Have a nice day
You're embarrassing yourself, and clearly showing your lack of knowledge in said subject. I also dare say, you're showing your adolescence here. This is the tightest, what looks to be most balanced, and most technical fighter in the DBZ genre. There is literally nothing else that comes close to this degree of presentation and gameplay.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm just excited for the Story Mode of this game. Since it brings an original character and I liked her design, I look forward to what she may add to the lore of Dragon Ball. It's a fine addition to the franchise as she is the very first new android (not counting the random ones from Dragon Ball Fusions) since Android 9 in Dragon Ball Online.

2D gameplay is not for me, so I'll just watch Dragon Ball FighterZ on Youtube to see what kind of information and good content it will reveal.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
KayDash wrote:

Just knowing combos won't get you very far. That is only one part of the games.

Spacing is very important in fighting games, both 2d and 3d. We wouldn't have things like "footsies" and "zoning" if it wasn't. Not to mention that even a lot of combos are space dependent. Plus you can't expect to just walk up and hit your opponent in a 2d fighter either since theres multiple things they could do to punish you. you have to figure out the best way to approach or make them approach in order to win.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm

There's also the facet of knowing what to do in given situations based on who the characters are. Certain characters will be naturally able to mop the floor with another, but if you're good with a character you can defy that matchup. At the same time, if you don't know what you're doing then your opponent doesn't have to be exceptionally talented to beat you on a character that's supposed to be weaker.

As for the 2D aspect, doing that removes a couple of variables in complexity when fighting that can be spent elsewhere. You don't have to worry about positioning and aim as much on a 2D fighting field, similar to how you don't have to "line up" to make a jump in Mario World when you absolutely have to in Odyssey.