FighterZ: Pad or Stick?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

FighterZ: Pad or Stick?

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 am

I have a question for those of you who have a history of playing competitive fighting games. The age old question of pad vs stick. I'm sure many of you have spent your fair amount of time in the arcades playing the likes of Street Fighter, Tekken, MK etc.. while others like myself grew up playing fighting games primarily on home consoles.

When you get FighterZ will you play with pad or arcade stick, and also why? I plan on trying both and initially sticking with whichever feels right. I've always played Tekken on pad but have recently been attempting to switch to stick to improve my execution with certain characters, which is proving to be a tough transition. With Street Fighter on the other hand I seem to naturally prefer stick, probably because it's 2D and feels more natural. And then there's the Netherrealm games like MK and Injustice which are designed to be pad friendly.

And also if you are using stick what kind of stick are you using? I currently use the Venom Arcade Stick myself, although I've heard people say some other brands are better.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: FighterZ: Pad or Stick?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am

A lot of extremely high-placing tournament competitors (and even winners) have been walking up and plugging in controllers. Heck, EVO 2014's Ultra Street Fighter IV block was won with a PS1 controller.

There are similar arguments/hiveminds/back-and-forths in all facets of gaming. On one hand, you have examples like the controller players winning fighting game tournaments. You have FF14 players completing all levels of end-game content on a controller. You have... well, I don't think any controller players are winning FPS tournaments, but I'd love to see some examples if there are any! :D

Really it's what you're most comfortable with and what you're looking to get out of the experience. I don't have a PS4 stick right now, so I'll be playing on controller at least at the beginning. Maybe now with the significant Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition update hitting around the same time, it's the perfect opportunity to get out there and pick up a stick, though... and I have Tekken 7 still waiting in the wings, too...

Real curious to see how the tournament competitors play on this one. Not that I really aspire to that level, myself, but I just love seeing talent in action!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 pm

For many years I played on PC with a keyboard, and I had no problem with it. I also have a pad since several years, and I can play most games just fine with it. However, when it comes to fighters I have a hard time with even the quarter circle movements, so in hope of getting a PS4 in the future (and the fact I can't play a d-pad), I bought an arcade stick about a year ago, which I can also use on PC. Within a few weeks, it was just as easy to play with it, as with a keyboard. I also love the arcade machine feel to it.
So for me the stick is better, but if you can do the inputs correctly with a dpad, then you will be fine with a dpad controller.
Also, FighterZ doesn't even really have that difficult inputs like the 360 movement, or the back and forth halfcircle, and it has only 4 attack buttons.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There are similar arguments/hiveminds/back-and-forths in all facets of gaming. On one hand, you have examples like the controller players winning fighting game tournaments. You have FF14 players completing all levels of end-game content on a controller. You have... well, I don't think any controller players are winning FPS tournaments, but I'd love to see some examples if there are any! :D

Really it's what you're most comfortable with and what you're looking to get out of the experience. I don't have a PS4 stick right now, so I'll be playing on controller at least at the beginning. Maybe now with the significant Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition update hitting around the same time, it's the perfect opportunity to get out there and pick up a stick, though... and I have Tekken 7 still waiting in the wings, too...
Very true. Another definite advantage of pad over stick is that they don't cost an arm and a leg to replace. :) But then there's also the factor of certain characters being less execution friendly than others, such as the Mishima's and their wavedashing/EWGF in Tekken which can be tough to do consistently on pad.
KayDash wrote:For many years I played on PC with a keyboard, and I had no problem with it. I also have a pad since several years, and I can play most games just fine with it. However, when it comes to fighters I have a hard time with even the quarter circle movements, so in hope of getting a PS4 in the future (and the fact I can't play a d-pad), I bought an arcade stick about a year ago, which I can also use on PC. Within a few weeks, it was just as easy to play with it, as with a keyboard. I also love the arcade machine feel to it.
So for me the stick is better, but if you can do the inputs correctly with a dpad, then you will be fine with a dpad controller.
Also, FighterZ doesn't even really have that difficult inputs like the 360 movement, or the back and forth halfcircle, and it has only 4 attack buttons.
Playing fighting games on a keyboard. Now I'm impressed. :thumbup: And I agree the authentic arcade feeling a stick gives you is really cool. :)