How come Budokai 3/Xenoverse was able to make #17 his own character but not FighterZ?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

How come Budokai 3/Xenoverse was able to make #17 his own character but not FighterZ?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Y'know, without making him a clone yet this game can't and instead opted for SSJ recolors? I thought ArcSystem was supposed to be the king of creating movesets.

They even gave him the Energy Field that was rightfully his and only for him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

mecha3000
Regular

Re: How come Budokai 3/Xenoverse was able to make #17 his own character but not FighterZ?

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:25 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Y'know, without making him a clone yet this game can't and instead opted for SSJ recolors? I thought ArcSystem was supposed to be the king of creating movesets.

They even gave him the Energy Field that was rightfully his and only for him.
The thing is, when Arc was working on this game - I don't think they had a good idea of if #17 would even be a bigger character in Super. Notice how it has characters like Beerus, Hit, and Goku Black - but not characters from the ToP Arc (at least not yet)? There might be a good reason for that. Before the ToP Arc, #18 was definitely the safer and more deserving choice because she had a bigger presence after the Cell Arc, is married to a main character, and let's not kid ourselves here: She's a female fighter, and DBZ games lack in that department. So, Arc probably felt like she'd be more deserving of the spot than #17. I doubt this really mattered, but we also have to remember the producer of the game is a woman and probably wants to represent female characters in some way (which is probably why 21 is being hyped up, due in part to Toriyama creating her).

However, after Super's sort of soft retcon of 17's character and the new addition of his unique use of his Android Barrier abilities - I would LOVE to see him in FighterZ as his own character. Perhaps, Super will inspire Arc to add 17 as a DLC down the road? But then again, characters like Broly and Jiren might have better chances. And let's not lie to outselves - NO FAN REALLY CARED ABOUT THE ANDROID BARRIER BEFORE SUPER. I brought it up a few times before Super noting that if they ever made a live-action movie, it'd be cool to display the barrier to make the androids unique from the main cast - but that's all.

EDIT: We also have to remember Arc is trying to only add characters they feel won't be a complete waste of a character slot and maybe they didn't want too many androids (even if they have a good amount of Saiyans). They already have 16, who has unique abilities so they probably felt they had to choose between 17 and 18. They also have 21, so yeah. Oh yeah, and I'd love to see his Barrier Punch against Anilaza as a Super or Ultimate in FighterZ or a future game.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: How come Budokai 3/Xenoverse was able to make #17 his own character but not FighterZ?

Post by nato25 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Its pretty simple really. They needed more female representation, 17 and 18 are both androids and they dont want characters that feel too similar in the roster because of how much work has to go into making each character.

I dont mind it personally but now that 17 has shown a lot of uniqueness and play with his barrier, he definitely should be his own character in fighterz 2 while 18 gets a revamped moveset.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:21 am

I don't think they were unable. They just didn't want to.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:53 am

It’s not that they weren’t able to. They just wanted to put someone else instead of 17.

XV2 aka Ultimate Spam 2 put him in but his face looked really weird. In fact a lot of the xenoverse models are weird looking in the face.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12 am

#17 has definitely earned a character slot in all future DBZ games with his performance in the ToP. ArcSys was probably not in the know at the time, but 18 was definitely not going to be skipped for the sake of ANY character, considering she's still the most popular female fighter in the series.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 pm

ArcSys were able to make #17 a seperate character, but they decided to do something much more interesting, cooler and unique.
Now they fight like they did in the android saga, and in the Trunks special.

Also, it's not like they can't add a #17 later as a seperate character with his ToP moves and #18 as a support in her track suit.