So, I`m struggeling to really love FighterZ, does anyone else agree with me?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

So, I`m struggeling to really love FighterZ, does anyone else agree with me?

Post by songohan619 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm

First of all, I am not calling FighterZ a bad game! It`s not! It is a great game! However, as someone who enjoys fighting-games, but who isnt the best in them, I have two related problems with the combat-system;
A: It feels to easy to do an pretty good combo.
So, each character has a pretty limited move-set, but I feel that too many of the combos are too easy to do, and get big and flashy to quickly. One example is the auto-combos, that dish out a good amount of damage, and gives you a super-move, all with just mashing a single button.

B: The lack of defensive options.
Once you get stuck at the recieving end of one of the combos that last for ten minutes, you have no choice but to wait it out. In older DBZ-games, you could use super-meter to teleport away, but that is not here. I also dislike pointing backwards to block, as this feels impresice when there is a lot of vertical action going on.

Does anyone agree with me, or am I just a mad man?

...I`m probably a mad man, aint I...?

Much love <3

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: So, I`m struggeling to really love FighterZ, does anyone else agree with me?

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 am

Back-to-Block is a genre staple, though not universal, so nothing to say there beyond practice. I'm doing it too. The auto-combos are just there to give you an easy go-to, a fallback; think of them less as the easy win button that makes everything else redundant (because they really aren't) and more as a thing you know you can do when the battle be raging, you're lost in the flow, and you just need something to do with that opening you got just now. I should think you would quickly get bored of them and start trying new things! It would be interesting how the game would change if the Vanishing Attack was a Xenoverse-style omni teleport- the amount of super meter relying on it would eat up actually might not make it a net benefit for the desperate!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: So, I`m struggeling to really love FighterZ, does anyone else agree with me?

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 am

How do you feel about MvC2? combos and all that are super easy too...But then the metagame opens up and things got crazy! Just watched a video from maximilian dood about cancelling punches into jumps and taking advantage of the game's boundary system to unleash 50+ hit combos with Goku, and that's only the beginning. Easy to play, hard to master, and the metagame hasn't even started yet.

As for the second issue, I found that vanish works for me, as long as I have meter I can escape. Alternatively the push parry feature sometimes work, people online only want to capitalize on shots when you're in the corner, if they hit you into the ground midscreen they usually delay before charging at you, push block in the middle of the screen, mash vanish when you're in corners.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 am

songohan619 wrote:First of all, I am not calling FighterZ a bad game! It`s not! It is a great game! However, as someone who enjoys fighting-games, but who isnt the best in them, I have two related problems with the combat-system;
A: It feels to easy to do an pretty good combo.
So, each character has a pretty limited move-set, but I feel that too many of the combos are too easy to do, and get big and flashy to quickly. One example is the auto-combos, that dish out a good amount of damage, and gives you a super-move, all with just mashing a single button.

B: The lack of defensive options.
Once you get stuck at the recieving end of one of the combos that last for ten minutes, you have no choice but to wait it out. In older DBZ-games, you could use super-meter to teleport away, but that is not here. I also dislike pointing backwards to block, as this feels impresice when there is a lot of vertical action going on.

Does anyone agree with me, or am I just a mad man?
and it c

Much love <3
It's pretty easy to wreck any opponent that relies on auto combos. I find myself getting my ass handed to me because I'm unable to defend a rush down properly it can get frustrating. However the more I play the more I realize it's about timing and find myself winning more matches. It's annoying when you're on one end of a beat down as they can get a little obnoxious, but it's due to your inexperience with the game.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:05 am

Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtYw3mt3HMw

People are still figuring out new things for the game.
My English is poor .

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:00 pm

The only thing really hurting it for me right now is the inaccurate translation in story mode. Like it's hard to enjoy the humor knowing that isn't what the characters are actually saying. :(

Doesn't help that there is no alternate, accurate translation for the game.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:The only thing really hurting it for me right now is the inaccurate translation in story mode. Like it's hard to enjoy the humor knowing that isn't what the characters are actually saying. :(

Thankfully, there's no such problem when you have the English dub (I'm not a native English speaker, so I always have English audio AND subtitles in my games).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Chuquita wrote:The only thing really hurting it for me right now is the inaccurate translation in story mode. Like it's hard to enjoy the humor knowing that isn't what the characters are actually saying. :(

Thankfully, there's no such problem when you have the English dub (I'm not a native English speaker, so I always have English audio AND subtitles in my games).
This is true.

I wish they had subtitles for both.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm struggling to enjoy FighterZ's gameplay which is odd because I had so much fun with MvC3 Ultimate. If I had to sum it up in one word I'd say "biased." After Raging Blast 2 and Xenoverse 2 this game feels like a step backwards and once you're caught in a "super attack" you're left a sitting duck. I don't know if the vanish saves you during those attacks because I haven't reacted fast enough to think about that.
I also wish block was a button and not simply pressing back. The story and Dub are superb though. The jokes really hit home and give me a "old school Funi Dub vibe" and I like that.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:34 am

Yeah, no matter the fighting game, the back to block thing has always been an issue for me. And being so used to Xenoverse 2, I'm used to having an actual block button that even rewards you for perfect blocking.

I will say, the combos are MUCH easier than other fighting games, but I usually hit my limit when things get about medium level hard. :?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:40 am

Dub subs?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 pm

The single-player content and online could use work but the gameplay is near top-notch so... no, can't agree.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 am

GTx10 wrote:I'm struggling to enjoy FighterZ's gameplay which is odd because I had so much fun with MvC3 Ultimate. If I had to sum it up in one word I'd say "biased." After Raging Blast 2 and Xenoverse 2 this game feels like a step backwards and once you're caught in a "super attack" you're left a sitting duck. I don't know if the vanish saves you during those attacks because I haven't reacted fast enough to think about that.
I also wish block was a button and not simply pressing back. The story and Dub are superb though. The jokes really hit home and give me a "old school Funi Dub vibe" and I like that.
Well you can't really compare a 2D fighting game with a 3D fighting.

But Fighterz has done many things better than any dragon ball to be called a step backwards.

And as for not being able to avoid a super attack one you got caught in it , just try not to get caught in it , its as simple as that , its the same in BT3 and RB2.
My English is poor .

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
GTx10 wrote:I'm struggling to enjoy FighterZ's gameplay which is odd because I had so much fun with MvC3 Ultimate. If I had to sum it up in one word I'd say "biased." After Raging Blast 2 and Xenoverse 2 this game feels like a step backwards and once you're caught in a "super attack" you're left a sitting duck. I don't know if the vanish saves you during those attacks because I haven't reacted fast enough to think about that.

But Fighterz has done many things better than any dragon ball to be called a step backwards.

And as for not being able to avoid a super attack one you got caught in it , just try not to get caught in it , its as simple as that , its the same in BT3 and RB2.
How so? Xenoverse 2 was jammed packed with material that spanned the entire Dragon Ball series. BT3 was the most extensive "somewhat" recreation of Dragon Ball's story line from DB up to GT. RB2 gave us our first taste of "special" characters, I.e. SS3 Vegeta and Broly. As well as Tarble and Hatchyack.
I am not trying to downplay Fighter Z but it really failing to grab me.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 am

GTx10 wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:

How so? Xenoverse 2 was jammed packed with material that spanned the entire Dragon Ball series. BT3 was the most extensive "somewhat" recreation of Dragon Ball's story line from DB up to GT. RB2 gave us our first taste of "special" characters, I.e. SS3 Vegeta and Broly. As well as Tarble and Hatchyack.
I am not trying to downplay Fighter Z but it really failing to grab me.
- it has the best visuals & characters design in any dragon ball game ever before
- It also has the deepest gameplay
- it has an Original story
- The online is really great (so much better than Xenoverse and Raging blast)

I understand why you didn't like it (its your opinion after all) but calling it a step backwards is totally wrong.
My English is poor .