Frieza's English voice in FighterZ

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Frieza's English voice in FighterZ

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:06 pm

The whole time I was playing FighterZ I was thinking "Man, Chris Ayres performance as Frieza is phenomenal" but then I hear it wasn't even Ayres, is this true? If so I'd like to know who voiced Frieza in the game. I'd love him to reprise his role as Frieza again someday.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Frieza's English voice in FighterZ

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Daman Mills has stepped in as Ayres' replacement during his medical procedure(s) and recovery. Mills played Freeza briefly during the second arc in Dragon Ball Super's English dub, and has been doing the game performances in the meantime, as well.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Since Ayres has voiced some new lines in Xenoverse 2 for the new DLC pack, I'm sure Mills will be away until Ayres cannot continue voicing him. Mills does such a good job that if he was the new permanent voice of Freeza I wouldn't even be mad.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 am

Logania wrote:Since Ayres has voiced some new lines in Xenoverse 2 for the new DLC pack, I'm sure Mills will be away until Ayres cannot continue voicing him. Mills does such a good job that if he was the new permanent voice of Freeza I wouldn't even be mad.
Do we know that for sure? Did Ayers COME BACK for the new lines, or were they recorded way back?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:23 am

I like Mills. He makes Frieza sound less malicious and more British, which is more in line with his current development in Super.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat May 05, 2018 8:48 pm

songohan619 wrote:
Logania wrote:Since Ayres has voiced some new lines in Xenoverse 2 for the new DLC pack, I'm sure Mills will be away until Ayres cannot continue voicing him. Mills does such a good job that if he was the new permanent voice of Freeza I wouldn't even be mad.
Do we know that for sure? Did Ayers COME BACK for the new lines, or were they recorded way back?
That seems infinitely more likely. I don't think Ayers is doing any voicing for a long time, if at all.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 am

Nickolaidas wrote:I like Mills. He makes Frieza sound less malicious and more British, which is more in line with his current development in Super.
Not that I've seen much DBS to know what you're talking about, I feel like I'm pretty safe in assuming that in Super it turns out Freeza is from Great Britain... I'm not liking Mills' Freeza at all for the exact reason you like him. Freeza's not British as far as I'm aware, and while I wouldn't say "malicious-sounding", I dunno. But in any case, it sounds like a fandub or parody to me.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:33 pm

he sounds like hes pretending to be gay awful in english.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 pm

nosferatu wrote:he sounds like hes pretending to be gay awful in english.
This is not even remotely acceptable.

Further comments of this type will result in strikes being lodged against your account.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:00 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Freeza's not British as far as I'm aware.
Neither is Goku an American. Yet he sounds like one.
The whole point of Frieza sounding British is to give him a sense of elegance.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 am

VegettoEX wrote:
nosferatu wrote:he sounds like hes pretending to be gay awful in english.
This is not even remotely acceptable.

Further comments of this type will result in strikes being lodged against your account.
then delete my account. if i cant even express my opinion.dont even see whats wrong about that post. thank you.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:02 am

There is a difference between expressing an ordinary opinion and saying that someone's voice for a character is simply bad or "awful", and saying that someone sounds like they are pretending to be gay. The latter is offensive and you wouldn't get any positive reaction on that statement on many forums.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:11 am

as i said delete my acc. mr. mod.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Neither is Goku an American. Yet he sounds like one.
The whole point of Frieza sounding British is to give him a sense of elegance.
There's no point in giving him a British accent for elegance when Ayres was making him speak and sound elegant without the need of going as far as making him English. Not that there's anything wrong with having different accents in DB. I just don't like that "English = fancy". Give Gokuh an English accent! There are plenty that the English would consider a country-bumpkin accent.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 am

Do all voice actors have understudies? I find it surprising of how prepared they were.

Unlike some people is see complain on the Youtube comments. I don't mind replacements or alternative voice actors as long as the sound good enough. Not saying that any of you are doing this as I hadn't read the previous replies.