Its almost the time again...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Its almost the time again...

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:19 pm

That time in May where the next DB game leaks out.

What we know it that someone who i believed used to work for Bandai revealed that the next db game will be an ARPG game (which i would hate).

I believe that
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
said that from what he has heard, Xenoverse 3 isn’t in the making as we speak but i also believe that
ArchedThunder wrote:
said that from his sources, XV3 is in development.

Please correct me if i am wrong. According to some contract, Bandai needs to produce a new Dragon Ball console game every year. FighterZ was 2018 so the game we are expecting would be released sometime in 2019.

Anything else? Also sorry for quoting you guys (TheDevilsCorpse and Arched Thunder). Just wanna make sure my info is right.

So yeah, anything else? Who’s hyped?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Its almost the time again...

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 pm

The info I got predates ArchedThunder's info. If what both of us heard is correct, that means development of XV3 would be in its earlier stages, and we aren't getting the sequel as our 2019 game.

That said, May doesn't necessarily mean the the beginning of the cycle again. FighterZ wasn't revealed until June. We could always see another similar push for a later reveal this time too.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:14 pm

A major game was already released in 2018, if there will be any announcement in the middle of the year, it'd be a minor game, i.e., for portable consoles.

A/the next huge announcement is certainly scheduled for Jump Festa, or early 2019.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:52 pm

I can't get excited for the next game when I'm still waiting and hoping they do a FighterZ release on the Switch later this year; I've been holding out on buying it on Steam because of how much less cumbersome it is to have games portable and I don't double-dip on pricey new games. My hope is I hear something about a Switch FighterZ port at E3 this year.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The info I got predates ArchedThunder's info. If what both of us heard is correct, that means development of XV3 would be in its earlier stages, and we aren't getting the sequel as our 2019 game.

That said, May doesn't necessarily mean the the beginning of the cycle again. FighterZ wasn't revealed until June. We could always see another similar push for a later reveal this time too.
I assume you mean our fiscal year 2019 game? If so I 100% agree, we won't see XV3 until holiday 2019 at the earliest. An early 2020 release is probably pretty likely, but I've got my fingers crossed for holiday 2019.
Grimlock wrote:A major game was already released in 2018, if there will be any announcement in the middle of the year, it'd be a minor game, i.e., for portable consoles.

A/the next huge announcement is certainly scheduled for Jump Festa, or early 2019.
A game announced in the middle of the year would likely release around a year after FighterZ.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:02 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I assume you mean our fiscal year 2019 game? If so I 100% agree, we won't see XV3 until holiday 2019 at the earliest. An early 2020 release is probably pretty likely, but I've got my fingers crossed for holiday 2019.
It's actually a typo. I meant (fiscal) 2018, as the next game to be announced and released. Unless the old contract expired or Bandai Namco can convince Shueisha to change their mind, there needs to be a fiscal 2019 game too. And XV3 is supposed to be next on the list.

I would prefer a fiscal 2019 release though. The more time for more originality, extra content, and polish the better.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 am

As much as I'd love a big announcement, with FighterZ I highly doubt it. I could see more info on Dragonball Legends and maybe another announcement for updates for Heroes and Xenoverse 2

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I assume you mean our fiscal year 2019 game? If so I 100% agree, we won't see XV3 until holiday 2019 at the earliest. An early 2020 release is probably pretty likely, but I've got my fingers crossed for holiday 2019.
It's actually a typo. I meant (fiscal) 2018, as the next game to be announced and released. Unless the old contract expired or Bandai Namco can convince Shueisha to change their mind, there needs to be a fiscal 2019 game too. And XV3 is supposed to be next on the list.

I would prefer a fiscal 2019 release though. The more time for more originality, extra content, and polish the better.
As of this month it is currently fiscal year 2019 (at least for Bandai Namco), FighterZ was the fiscal year 2018 game.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 am

ArchedThunder wrote:As of this month it is currently fiscal year 2019 (at least for Bandai Namco), FighterZ was the fiscal year 2018 game.
Ah, right. Japan and the US have different cutoff dates and all that. I'm tired and stressed, and shouldn't be talking corporate-y shitck in this my mindset. 100% just confusing myself.

Then you're right, the next game should take the 2019 fiscal slot (either holiday 2018, or early 2019) and XV3 should take the 2020 slot (either holiday 2019, or early 2020). Which, again, I'm all for. I enjoy the Xenoverse franchise for the new lore it typically adds, but I won't deny it needs a lot of work to polish things up. The longer the better.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:As of this month it is currently fiscal year 2019 (at least for Bandai Namco), FighterZ was the fiscal year 2018 game.
Ah, right. Japan and the US have different cutoff dates and all that. I'm tired and stressed, and shouldn't be talking corporate-y shitck in this my mindset. 100% just confusing myself.

Then you're right, the next game should take the 2019 fiscal slot (either holiday 2018, or early 2019) and XV3 should take the 2020 slot (either holiday 2019, or early 2020). Which, again, I'm all for. I enjoy the Xenoverse franchise for the new lore it typically adds, but I won't deny it needs a lot of work to polish things up. The longer the better.
It makes it more confusing that different Japanese companies use different years for each fiscal year. For Bandai it's Fiscal year 2019 right now, for Nintendo it's Fiscal Year 2018, for example.
It's dumb.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:As much as I'd love a big announcement, with FighterZ I highly doubt it. I could see more info on Dragonball Legends and maybe another announcement for updates for Heroes and Xenoverse 2
Its not a matter of a big game coming out. As far as w2e know, there is a contract that basically makes Bandai HAVE to produce a new console DB game every year. So even if FighterZ came out, we are still bound to get a 2019 game release
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:29 am

Grimlock wrote:A major game was already released in 2018, if there will be any announcement in the middle of the year, it'd be a minor game, i.e., for portable consoles.

I think you might be right. Looking back on it when DBXV came out in Feb, was DBXV2 announced during that same year’s E3 or was it saved for Jump Festa? I think maybe depending on the date of a games release, the announcement for the next game could be either E3 or Jumpfesta.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

ArchedThunder wrote:A game announced in the middle of the year would likely release around a year after FighterZ.
Probably a little later. When I wrote my previous comment, I didn't have Dragon Ball Legends in mind. Even though it's for mobiles, it might be 2018's minor game considering its marketing and such. When a mobile Dragon Ball game had this much antecipation and attention? Even Toriyama provided his own thing to the game.
AnimeNation101 wrote:I think you might be right. Looking back on it when DBXV came out in Feb, was DBXV2 announced during that same year’s E3 or was it saved for Jump Festa? I think maybe depending on the date of a games release, the announcement for the next game could be either E3 or Jumpfesta.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 was announced in May 2016 (with 2016's minor game being Dragon Ball Fusions, for 3DS).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 am

An JRPG based on early Dragon Ball would be my dream. The Pre-Raditz era needs more love and is oozing potential.

A question, would a crossover fighting game which includes Dragon Ball fill the role of "console Dragon Ball for the year"? Bandai has Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball, probably more Jump franchises. Certainly such a game has a decent chance of being made with the success of FighterZ.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:57 am

The next game being an adventure RPG is definitely interesting it it's true.
Fights should be a focus of the game, considering it's Dragon Ball we are talking about. I don't expect FighterZ levels of complexity but I also hope they won't go for a super easy battle system, nor a turn based one or some gimmick like that.
An RPG OG DB game capturing the atmosphere and magic of the original show would be a dream come true, so I really hope that it happens and that an awesome game is currently in development behind the scenes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:16 pm

LightBing wrote:An JRPG based on early Dragon Ball would be my dream. The Pre-Raditz era needs more love and is oozing potential.

A question, would a crossover fighting game which includes Dragon Ball fill the role of "console Dragon Ball for the year"? Bandai has Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball, probably more Jump franchises. Certainly such a game has a decent chance of being made with the success of FighterZ.
I would play the hell out of an original Dragon Ball based game, oh my goodness. Maybe if it could be an open world fighting game but that may be asking a bit too much lol.

Not quite sure on the terms of the contract but I hope not. Not generally a fan of crossovers. Fanservice and the game usually suffers.
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Banana wrote:
LightBing wrote:An JRPG based on early Dragon Ball would be my dream. The Pre-Raditz era needs more love and is oozing potential.

I would play the hell out of an original Dragon Ball based game, oh my goodness. Maybe if it could be an open world fighting game but that may be asking a bit too much lol.

Not quite sure on the terms of the contract but I hope not. Not generally a fan of crossovers. Fanservice and the game usually suffers.
Dragon Ball Heroes says otherwise

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Dragon Ball Heroes says otherwise
Like good or bad? Don't really know what you mean as I haven't heard of that until now. I do wish my Japanese as better though so I could play it... though I do have my Japanese region classic 3DS somewhere either in my desk at work or somewhere in my home, so I may need to look for this when I'm in Japan in 7 months :shock: lol

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:30 am

Banana wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Dragon Ball Heroes says otherwise
Like good or bad? Don't really know what you mean as I haven't heard of that until now. I do wish my Japanese as better though so I could play it... though I do have my Japanese region classic 3DS somewhere either in my desk at work or somewhere in my home, so I may need to look for this when I'm in Japan in 7 months :shock: lol
Its probably the most popular db game in japan becuase of its outlandish story’s and crazy fanservice. And the story is actual pretty good.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:09 pm

I'll keep an eye out for it though honestly it might sit around like the Dr. Slump game I have :(